Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Megaspam posted:

Even if GW is pushing new base sizes, I think IG will stay on the smaller bases. Just one more way to differentiate them from the glorious ~Adeptus Astartes~

Genestealers didn't change in this set, so it's probably safe to say 32mm bases are only intended for MEQs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

I have experienced the exact opposite. Devlan Mud used to pool/dry oddly, whereas whatever formula they use now dries cleanly and is easier to get into the right places. They're both good, but I prefer the current version.

I sat on ordering the Shield of Baal set until the morning and they weren't sold out already. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, Agrax Earthshade works fine for me. I don't have a problem with the new washes. I haven't really used any of the non-Citadel washes, though I do use non-GW paints for base colors occasionally.

The new bases are kind of annoying, but not that big a deal. Not looking forward to having two sizes in my armies--better that they just fix the dumb marine poses to be more dynamic.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Heavy flamers in Tac squads are the bee's knees.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
It's rather inexplicable that regular Marines, even Salamanders, don't get access to Heavy Flamers. The Imperial Guard can afford one for every Veteran and Command Squad, but a Space Marine chapter can barely muster enough to equip a handful of their Sternguard units with them? Jeez. Pry some of the drat things off those useless Land Speeders and give 'em over to the boys in Drop Pods where they can do some good.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

xtothez posted:

Genestealers didn't change in this set, so it's probably safe to say 32mm bases are only intended for MEQs.

Yeah, that's the hope.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Unless they come out with a really good explanation I am really not liking the move to 32mm bases at all. Because of GW's customary inability to engage with their customers I'm just left feeling confused and annoyed. You can't realistically re-base plastics without carving the feet off the existing base (good luck!), and what the gently caress are you meant to do with pre-formed bases like on the single sprue characters?

This seems dumb, I don't want different types of base between the same type of model. And doesn't it represent a pretty large balance issue when combat is determined by models in base-to-base contact?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

Heavy flamers in Tac squads are the bee's knees.

All in all i'm fairly ambivalent about the new ork codex, but heavy flamers in the squads is my favorite loving thing ever. I used to run a dirt cheap warboss just to pop a skorcha into my hard boyz squad.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

If anyone in the UK wants to trade their half of the new box set when it's out, I'm game.

I don't need the filthy blood angels, so if anyone wants rid of the tyranids half..

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

This is the coolest bike ever painted.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

'Murika.

Really, though, the best part about it is the way the respirators are painted red- it makes them look like pacifiers.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I haven't played this edition at all but last ed I played Lamenters Tac Squads + Sternguard with Heavy Flamers, if now I can shift those sweet S5 AP4 templates to my tac squads that'll own

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Unless they come out with a really good explanation I am really not liking the move to 32mm bases at all. Because of GW's customary inability to engage with their customers I'm just left feeling confused and annoyed. You can't realistically re-base plastics without carving the feet off the existing base (good luck!), and what the gently caress are you meant to do with pre-formed bases like on the single sprue characters?

This seems dumb, I don't want different types of base between the same type of model. And doesn't it represent a pretty large balance issue when combat is determined by models in base-to-base contact?

What the hell is this reaction based on? GW only put a bunch of vampire marines on a new base size, they didn't issue a decree ordering everyone to re-base all their poo poo by January 1st. In fact the rule book even says that it assumes "models are mounted on the base they were supplied with". Did your plastic spacemans come with 25mm bases? Awesome, use them.

I get that GW aren't the world's most popular company, but this manufactured drama about chopping up models for no reason is way worse. Goddamn hams.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Shouldn't it be pretty easy to whip up some plastic rings to convert 25mm bases to 32mm? Sounds like something a third party could make a decent bit doing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If someone ever gives you a hard time about having your Marines on 25mm rounds instead of 32mm rounds, they legally have to eat a Tactical squad worth of 32mm bases.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just bought 100 epic tac marines and i will field a single one on a 32mm base

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
In protest I'm going to start fielding my Guardsmen on 320mm bases.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

xtothez posted:

What the hell is this reaction based on? GW only put a bunch of vampire marines on a new base size, they didn't issue a decree ordering everyone to re-base all their poo poo by January 1st. In fact the rule book even says that it assumes "models are mounted on the base they were supplied with". Did your plastic spacemans come with 25mm bases? Awesome, use them.

I get that GW aren't the world's most popular company, but this manufactured drama about chopping up models for no reason is way worse. Goddamn hams.

It's based on not wanting to have Marine A in Squad One be on a different base to Marine B in Squad One. I also don't want everyone except the plastic Librarian or Commander Dante to be on a 32mm base. I want visual consistency with my models. Arbitrarily different bases within the same size bracket looks like poo poo from a modelling perspective, even if the marines themselves look individually better on a 32mm.
It's also based on the simple fact that GW would not need larger bases for normal men if they sculpted their models sensibly with the existing bases in mind. Marines, Necron Warriors etc only overlap the bases because they are posed stupidly.

Also I never said anything about having to chop up miniatures, I said that it wasn't a practical solution to the problem created. So wind your neck in.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

There was a Golden Daemon entry this year that was one Epic Terminator on a giant overdone plinth. I wish I could find a picture; it's in a recent White Dwarf.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Funny thing is Genestealers are not getting larger bases when they DO need them. The model takes up twice the space of the base. Trying to pile them into combat is drat near impossible. I have the same issue with hormagaunts and gargoyles. Termagants too, to a lesser extent.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

There was a Golden Daemon entry this year that was one Epic Terminator on a giant overdone plinth. I wish I could find a picture; it's in a recent White Dwarf.

How exactly do you paint an epic terminator to golden demon standards?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

With a very tiny brush :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Master Twig posted:

Funny thing is Genestealers are not getting larger bases when they DO need them. The model takes up twice the space of the base. Trying to pile them into combat is drat near impossible. I have the same issue with hormagaunts and gargoyles. Termagants too, to a lesser extent.

Like I said, for want of an actual explanation from GW which, all things considered, is not an unreasonable expectation, this just looks ill-conceived and arbitrary. If they had put up their reasons for this alongside the pre-orders people probably wouldn't be nearly as bothered. As ever, GW's biggest problem is with public perception, specifically that they don't recognise it as existing.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

xtothez posted:

In fact the rule book even says that it assumes "models are mounted on the base they were supplied with". Did your plastic spacemans come with 25mm bases? Awesome, use them.

To be fair, some (though not all) tournaments do either recommend or require you to use the "current" base size for models and of all the stupid things I've seen players get nitpicky about, models on "wrong" bases is the most common. Stuff like the Daemon Prince on the 40mm base or old Terminators/Avatar on their 25mm bases are relatively-commonly either politely asked or broadly ruled to be required to be on the most-current size of base for the model, so this could easily apply to Tacticals as well if this is part of a general shift.

It also occurs amidst a backdrop of GW pressing a lot of "size bloat" across many facets of the game, with bigger and bigger models appearing for every faction and apparently without end. While I wouldn't take new the BA stuff as an absolutely presagement of what will happen to other factions, I don't think those people seeing it as a harbinger of other obnoxious changes are as unreasonable as you're making them out to be.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I still really wanna play an army of nothing but Epic models at a tournament and cite them as "100% GW product on the bases included with them" as proof of the legitimacy. It would just be super-rad to win that way and get your army photographed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

An Angry Bug posted:

Shouldn't it be pretty easy to whip up some plastic rings to convert 25mm bases to 32mm? Sounds like something a third party could make a decent bit doing.

I'm sure this will happen, if nothing else. Or a super-thin 32mm wafer to put the 25mm base on top of, to indicate its new diameter while not adding any real height to the model.

It'd be hilarious if GW just ended up adding a new place for third parties to make a product for their games. :getin:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fortunately I've not really started on the infantry for my Ultramarines, other than a couple of heavy weapons. It will be a problem for me if they put Necrons on 32mm though, although they really really should. I guess the best way to keep consistency would be to razor saw the base away next to the feet and then scrape the black plastic off until grey shows. Or hide it with basing material.

My suspicion is that they've taken the position that their money is in miniatures so they should make them look as individually good as they can. To that end instead of constraining the sculptors posing options they've simply gone for bigger bases, which explains ovals for the large monsters with tails, and retaining 25mm for 'stealers. It also ties visually to the flying bases. That's just my gut instinct though, and without them explaining it (because gently caress interacting with your customers as anything but an ambulatory cash point) the conspiracy theories about squeezing out third parties and forcing re-basing/re-buying of armies will run rampant.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm actually not that enthused, the bases they were using were fine. It's going to affect Close Combat which is kind of annoying.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Frobbe posted:

In a time long before, there were space marine knockoffs, These brave souls were known as.... THE SPACE RANGERS!

i'll do some better pictures later, sadly they're not mine, because i'd have rocked them so hard as my space marines.

Those are still in production as pewter figures. I don't remember the name of the company.

Mango Polo posted:

Conquest has traitor Space Wolves :stare:

Yeah, there's a wheel depicting the Great Companies of Space Wolves and the 13th was lost while another was blacked out with Inquisition seals. Then again, I may be totally wrong:

I suppose I'm thinking of those Renegade Space Wolves from the 3.5 edition Chaos Codex.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 29, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Its sad that even as a seasoned 'ham I can just predict going into GW Oxford Circus and having 32mm bases for my marines pushed onto me when I try to play. I just can't give them the benefit of the doubt any more, despite the very good tyranid releases recently.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm definitely picking this up, and I recently bought Space Hulk, so I guess I'm collecting Tyranids now.
Combined with the kits I bought for Deathwatch RPG enemies, I'll have:

-1 Carnifex
-3 Warriors
-2 Broodlords
-38 Genestealers
-12 Hormagaunts
-12 Termagants
-A bunch of unbased Rippers

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Welp, I finished my titan

Progress shots here: http://imgur.com/a/RASTD

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some goon was asking "why are bigger bases for infantry a big deal?". The answer is that, in 5 years, I have to deal with a giant man child trying to say I'm gaming the system because my models are not modeled to GW standards. If you don't believe that will happen then you have no hammed long enough.

Anyway, no way I'm re basing anybody.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

panascope posted:

An impressive model cleanly painted! I prefer the Mars pattern myself. I see that much like a chaos-playing mucker of mine you have gone for the double turbo-lasers, eg the 'gently caress you' version from 5th and early 6th edition. How do those stack up against the other options now that D weapons are a little less ridiculous? I remember in the apocalypse book which is still the current rules for titans, all the weapon options, bizarrely, are the same cost.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

panascope posted:

oh my gooooodddddddddddddd

That looks amazing, you should be really proud of it!

e:

BULBASAUR posted:

Some goon was asking "why are bigger bases for infantry a big deal?". The answer is that, in 5 years, I have to deal with a giant man child trying to say I'm gaming the system because my models are not modeled to GW standards. If you don't believe that will happen then you have no hammed long enough.

Anyway, no way I'm re basing anybody.

Actually funny story about this, back when I was actually playing I had a duder complain that I was cheating because my ForgeWorld Gryphonne IV Vanquisher gun is really long, and somehow this conferred an unfair advantage and he wanted to snap the barrel off at a more reasonable length.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 29, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Genghis Cohen posted:

An impressive model cleanly painted! I prefer the Mars pattern myself. I see that much like a chaos-playing mucker of mine you have gone for the double turbo-lasers, eg the 'gently caress you' version from 5th and early 6th edition. How do those stack up against the other options now that D weapons are a little less ridiculous? I remember in the apocalypse book which is still the current rules for titans, all the weapon options, bizarrely, are the same cost.

Funnily enough I think the Lucius-pattern looks better. The Turbo-Lasers are the best weapons still I think, D weapons are still ridiculous and pooping out 4 large templates a turn is really good. Second-best weapon is probably the inferno cannon, the template is loving gigantic. I can't decide whether the Plasma Blastgun or Vulcan Mega-Bolter is the worst, I'm leaning towards the Blastgun being the worst just because it's basically a worse Turbo-Laser. At least the Mega-Bolter can blast flyers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That titan owns. I love the stripes on the gun too, although the separate bases for each foot makes me worry that it'll fall over :ohdear:

All this talk of base sizes and gun lengths reminds me of Tadhg's "modeling for confusion" story. I miss that ham.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My second Thunderbolt has shipped, soon I will be able to provide glorious Imperial Navy air support!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Leo Showers posted:

Actually funny story about this, back when I was actually playing I had a duder complain that I was cheating because my ForgeWorld Gryphonne IV Vanquisher gun is really long, and somehow this conferred an unfair advantage and he wanted to snap the barrel off at a more reasonable length.

This sounds like a good way to get someone to break your hands

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/320827

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Leo Showers posted:

What's strange about this is isn't the vanquisher cannon like 72" range anyway? How could it have mattered?

panascope posted:

Funnily enough I think the Lucius-pattern looks better. The Turbo-Lasers are the best weapons still I think, D weapons are still ridiculous and pooping out 4 large templates a turn is really good. Second-best weapon is probably the inferno cannon, the template is loving gigantic. I can't decide whether the Plasma Blastgun or Vulcan Mega-Bolter is the worst, I'm leaning towards the Blastgun being the worst just because it's basically a worse Turbo-Laser. At least the Mega-Bolter can blast flyers.

That's a shame, plasma weapon looks awesome, as plasma tends to. I think they look a bit better with asymmetrical loadouts. (not to crap all over your awesome titan mate, with the 'I prefer this' and 'this looks better' stuff)Have you considered doing the grille in the top a different colour to the rest of the top carapace? Seems like it would stand out more in a contrasting metal colour like you've done on the guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Genghis Cohen posted:

That's a shame, plasma weapon looks awesome, as plasma tends to. I think they look a bit better with asymmetrical loadouts. (not to crap all over your awesome titan mate, with the 'I prefer this' and 'this looks better' stuff)Have you considered doing the grille in the top a different colour to the rest of the top carapace? Seems like it would stand out more in a contrasting metal colour like you've done on the guns.

I just went and painted it Gunmetal to see how I liked it. Looks better as a nice bit of contrast. The asymmetrical loadouts do look really cool, I agree (the blastgun and bolter look best I think), but the Turbo-Lasers are just too much of a draw.

• Locked thread