Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Foma posted:

Pushing systemic racism as the cause of all ills is the best way to fix nothing

Oh right you're the one who said that the people of Ferguson should vote out the prosecutor who was elected to protect white people by the 70% white St Louis County population instead of protesting. You're kind of dumb, sorry I bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Foma posted:

You're right. It's not like there's already a growing problem with racial profiling, laws that disproportionately target minorities, or modern attempts at cultural erasure or anything.

You are ridiculous. Your arguments literally keep boiling down to "well, the system might have some problems, but until that system is fixed in the way and by the manner I have deemed acceptable let's just keep working within that system and hope it doesn't get infinitely worse in the interim".

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Foma posted:

Systemic racism is the cause of the ills we're discussing, and you're the one trying to move the conversation away from those.

We can disarm the cops and force all the oversight we want on them. It won't solve a system that doesn't see any problem with the way it treats black people in the first place.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Foma posted:

It's a big factor in a lot of problems, you can't really get around that. Maybe we just need to figure out better ways to couch accusations of racism in nicer language so that people don't immediately become so defensive that they're incapable of dialog? If you can't even use the word "racism", it's kind of hard to get anything done. Maybe we just need a Luntzian encoding that makes racists feel better about themselves as a starting point.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

It's a big factor in a lot of problems, you can't really get around that. Maybe we just need to figure out better ways to couch accusations of racism in nicer language so that people don't immediately become so defensive that they're incapable of dialog? If you can't even use the word "racism", it's kind of hard to get anything done. Maybe we just need a Luntzian encoding that makes racists feel better about themselves as a starting point.

Start calling them race realists :v:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Dingleberry Jones posted:

This thread has taught me that people love to use the word "systemic" as much as they possibly can

Ha ha, you learned something from the Ferguson thread.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Systemic racism is the cause of the ills we're discussing, and you're the one trying to move the conversation away from those.

We can disarm the cops and force all the oversight we want on them. It won't solve a system that doesn't see any problem with the way it treats black people in the first place.
Is it not that both - racism, and the US police - are major problems that are both important in this context?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Is it not that both - racism, and the US police - are major problems that are both important in this context?

That's what Pomp is saying. Fire and disarm all working cops right now and the new crop that takes their place is going to be the exact same because that's what happens with our police system right now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

That's what Pomp is saying. Fire and disarm all working cops right now and the new crop that takes their place is going to be the exact same because that's what happens with our police system right now.

They should come up with a term to describe a problem that isn't necessarily with individual components, more that the larger pattern of relationships is the issue.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Nancy Grace.

Edit: removed misread quote. Nancy Grace's comments are worth a listen if you haven't though.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 29, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GAPO posted:

Ad for black men killing other blacks in a "prominent fashion" and not being charged, again I say: Biggie & Tupac.

Biggie and Tupac were killed in two separate instances by two separate suspects, both of whom were never caught by police. This is a poo poo analogy that has nothing to do with the topic and I respectfully* ask that you stop making yourself sound stupid by repeating it over and over.

*not really

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can get :tinfoil: miles deep about Biggie and Tupac being targets of the FBI/CIA as well as LAPD and Suge Knight.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Fat lot of good it did Suge Knight.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Violet_Sky posted:

Wilson should have gone to trial. We would still be able to hear both sides of the story.

Also, can someone Explain Like I'm Five on why did Zimmerman get acquitted, but Dunn did not? They both committed similar crimes. Why didn't the Grand Jury remember those two cases?

Perhaps the pesky details of the case were vastly different?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nancy Grace.

Edit: removed misread quote. Nancy Grace's comments are worth a listen if you haven't though.

Nancy Grace was a prosecutor for a decade so this is actually worth listening to.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

GAPO posted:

Liberals constantly try to erase, brush off or ignore the killings of black people by other black people (which is far more common than black people.being killed by cops), but please don't be rude to them.*

Lots of people care about blacks killing other blacks, dipshit.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Nancy Grace is an abomination, and being accidentally right just because being right in this case happens to be the position that allows her to feign outrage doesn't make her suddenly worth wasting time on.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's funny how she says "The Hulk Hogan" and "What, his arm is like Hulk Hogan?"

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

beatlegs posted:

Lots of people care about blacks killing other blacks, dipshit.

Yeah that's why there are so many threads about it

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GAPO posted:

Definitely the best estimator of public sentiment.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

GAPO posted:

The realities of life for blacks in America is a repetitive theme for discussion in a lot of threads. It has been discussed over and over by many people. Causes and possible actions have been discussed in depth.

If you're surprised that people who aren't racist idiots don't come to the conclusion that 'well why don't them niggers just stop shooting each other', congrats you're retarded.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

GAPO posted:

Black people go to trial, and usually jail, when they kill someone. Cops don't go to trial. That's why the latter bears so much more discussion.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ditocoaf posted:

Black people go to trial, and usually jail, when they kill someone. Cops don't go to trial. That's why the latter bears so much more discussion.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/texas-no-knock-swat-raid

White people also get away with self-defense verdicts when killing cops busting in their front door, but the black guy who shoots cops coming in his window? Seek the death penalty.

e: http://gawker.com/my-vassar-college-faculty-id-makes-everything-ok-1664133077 :smith:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GAPO posted:

Nobody is stopping you from making one.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Someone earlier asked why Wilson didn't just roll up his window. The answer is that he shot it to pieces hulkamania.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nancy Grace.

I haven't clicked that and will not, but I am certain they aren't.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

IrvingWashington posted:

Someone earlier asked why Wilson didn't just roll up his window. The answer is that he shot it to pieces hulkamania.

He didn't want to shoot through his car window duh.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

GAPO posted:

He didn't want to shoot through his car window duh.

Not sure what your point is, but yeah, I don't think you would find anyone arguing that was the plan

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

IrvingWashington posted:

It is probably difficult to roll up a window while being assaulted

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

argondamn posted:

It is probably difficult to roll up a window while assaulting a minority and brandishing your weapon

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

argondamn posted:

That's it; pack it in. There's nothing Wilson could have done from the driver's seat while Brown was assaulting him in such a way that didn't actually leave any damage. He absolutely had to shoot Brown inside the car, get out, and empty his clip into Brown until he died.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Armchair it all you want.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

argondamn posted:

How about while Brown is handing off the cigars?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

argondamn posted:

irony is the song of a bird that has come to love its cage

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dum Cumpster posted:

How about while Brown is handing off the cigars?

You know, out of everything, that is the weirdest detail to be corroborated in the two main witness accounts. The truth is kind of weird sometimes.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

argondamn posted:

Hey, how come Wilson's face didn't look like he was seriously assaulted? No one who accepts his story ever seems to respond when I ask that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dum Cumpster posted:

Hey, how come Wilson's face didn't look like he was seriously assaulted? No one who accepts his story ever seems to respond when I ask that.

Because the ultimate tier skill of the Blackfist is to impart traumatic brain injury from a scuffmark.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dum Cumpster posted:

The answer you'd probably get is some variation of the "the next punch could have been fatal" argument that was getting a lot of work during the Zimmerman trial. Which is, on one hand, is not something I can really think of a solid rebuttal to. But on the other hand this is because it reduces the situation to arguing about an uncollapsed waveform and when you really think about it, what if the next punch had vibrated the quantum strings in such a way that Darren Wilson was obliterated by a sudden inrush of extremely localized gravity?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You know, out of everything, that is the weirdest detail to be corroborated in the two main witness accounts. The truth is kind of weird sometimes.

I mean, "hey grab these" to free up a hand makes sense - whether it was to have another hand free to try to pull himself loose from Wilson or another hand to attack with, it makes sense either way. It's not like it would need to be more than a half second worth of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If we allow the Hypothetically Lethal Next Punch to define what is and isn't acceptable use of lethal force, suddenly every confrontation becomes a life-threatening one. This is pretty bad.

• Locked thread