Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We all want the Mewtwos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kurtofan posted:

Which challenges are hammer proof?

http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_challenges_(SSB4-Wii_U)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More like Pootwo

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm just glad Dr. Mario is back. I picked up a Wii U with Smash in the Best Buy Black Friday bundle, now I just need to get one of those currently impossible to find at retail Gamecube controller adapters. Playing Smash with the Wii U controller feels wrong, it's not that much better than playing it on the 3DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a place I can read up on Amiibos? I really want to play the game to its fullest and I don't know what the hell using Amiibos is for.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Which challenges are hammer proof?

Anything with a circle/slash symbol when you use the hammer. Off the top of my head though, the beat classic at 9.0 without losing a life is one of them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a place I can read up on Amiibos? I really want to play the game to its fullest and I don't know what the hell using Amiibos is for.

You can tap it to your gamepad in Smash mode and have a little AI buddy fight you and it'll learn how to fight based on how you play, then you can take your Amiibo to a friend's house and pit your Amiibo against theirs like they're Pokemon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ChaosArgate posted:

You can tap it to your gamepad in Smash mode and have a little AI buddy fight you and it'll learn how to fight based on how you play, then you can take your Amiibo to a friend's house and pit your Amiibo against theirs like they're Pokemon.

So if I suck, I'm not really raising a worthwhile offspring, am I

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Can't wait till my li'l Amiibo buddy checks out my fighting style of mashing buttons

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

So if I suck, I'm not really raising a worthwhile offspring, am I

In lieu of actual skill, you could try to teach it to do nothing but taunt.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Kaethela posted:

In lieu of actual skill, you could try to teach it to do nothing but taunt.

Sadly, this doesn't work.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man Lucina and Marth really need a buff to their throw damage, 4% on a throw is ridiculous and they don't have any advantages to offset it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, no advantages for two characters with long-rear end swords and disjointed hitboxes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

long-rear end swords

you haven't played much smash4 have you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We're talking about Shulk, right?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Casnorf posted:

Sadly, this doesn't work.

:negative:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yeah, no advantages for two characters with long-rear end swords and disjointed hitboxes.

Marth is pretty weak this time around, sorry to hear you're poo poo at the game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683298

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cake Attack posted:

You haven't faced Shulk or Ike have you

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pegged Lamb posted:

You haven't faced Shulk or Ike have you

they were specifically talking about Marth and Lucy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cake Attack posted:

Austrian mook posted:

Marth is pretty weak this time around, sorry to hear you're poo poo at the game.

Hahahahahahaha.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For real though, Marth's not that good and Lucina is, but it's because she's a more well-rounded character. Their hitboxes are probably some of the thinner ones, if you want to bitch and moan about silly hitboxes then look at Shulk, Ike, or Sonic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Hahahahahahaha.

Sweet meaningless contribution to the discussion man, got anything more substantial?

E:

Beef Waifu posted:

For real though, Marth's not that good and Lucina is, but it's because she's a more well-rounded character. Their hitboxes are probably some of the thinner ones, if you want to bitch and moan about silly hitboxes then look at Shulk, Ike, or Sonic.

Marth has better range and his untipped attacks deal at most only a percent or so less than Lucina though

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 30, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Let's talk about Amiibos. I'm gonna get a Pikachu and Samus.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
CPU Pac Man is insane in New Challengers 2. I can't beat him without losing one stock

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah the CPUs on that Challenge are almost as competent as the Final FINAL Battle ones. Your best is to try and isolate Pac-Man while watching out for his loving hydrant.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

noirstronaut posted:

Amiibos are pretty cool. It's neat watching them adapt to how you play.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Add me to the list in the OP - my NNID is satheram.

I would specifically like to fight EU duders, I could go for some yanks I guess but I'm assume it'll be laggy.

I'm like, just starting to get interested in competitive but I'm pretty decent since I've played all the games quite a lot, training buds are cool! Is there somewhere else I should post? I couldn't see it in the OP.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Beef Waifu posted:

What's silly about Sonic's hitboxes? I ask so that I can learn to better exploit his power.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Echophonic posted:

Amiibos are pretty cool. It's neat watching them adapt to how you play.

They make cool teammates too. My donkey kong learned to grab people and drag them into my attack radius.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Kinda disappointed that Yoshi didn't get a Yarn alt.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Heran Bago posted:

Any general tips for fighting against Shulk? He has strong attacks with range and he's not slow, I have trouble keeping up.

Shulk is a lot like Ike in that both Ike absolutely love getting projectile spammed. He's also like Ike in that his moves are single hit, have startup time, and are pretty laggy at the end, so it's mostly a matter of baiting and punishing. Shulk has tricks that Ike doesn't (like his loving ridiculous b-air) but like Ike, he also kinda sucks in For Glory.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoctorWhat posted:

What's silly about Sonic's hitboxes? I ask so that I can learn to better exploit his power.

Basically using Sonic's spin dash or whatever is pretty free for him because guessing where he is hittable or when he is going to hit is kind of tough. For exmaple, using counters on him is practically worthless because he can go into the air during the attack and completely avoid being hit by everyone with the exception of Mac whose counter has an upwards arc that can actually hit Sonic's small body while he is a ball.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I've learned that I'm not as good at Smash as I was when I was 13, but that I'm slightly less terrible at the game with Diddy Kong and that's something I can live with, I think.

The Crusher posted:

Kinda disappointed that Yoshi didn't get a Yarn alt.

That would have been amazing.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Basically using Sonic's spin dash or whatever is pretty free for him because guessing where he is hittable or when he is going to hit is kind of tough. For exmaple, using counters on him is practically worthless because he can go into the air during the attack and completely avoid being hit by everyone with the exception of Mac whose counter has an upwards arc that can actually hit Sonic's small body while he is a ball.

Sonic is my least favourite thing in the world as Rukina.

Also w regard to the Marth / Lucina debate, damage is meaningless if you don't like the way a character looks feels or plays. Marth is objectively better then Lucina because they have identical ranges but he still has his tipper. Marth looks weird in brawl and smash4 though so it's pointless. Lucina is the bomb.

ropesnake
Oct 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sweet meaningless contribution to the discussion man, got anything more substantial?

yah heres one: MY rear end

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

E:

Marth has better range and his untipped attacks deal at most only a percent or so less than Lucina though

I actually didn't see that, I rescind my statement on that then.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Oh yeah, I'm actually in charge of the goon steam group for Smash Bros for some reason now.

I have been reluctant to really dig into smash bros cause I didn't want to get burned out on it too quickly, but with Wii U out I think I'm ready to dive in.

I'm going to start idling in the chatroom when I'm online in case anyone needs to buzz me about something: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SuperSmashGoons

Check the private games forum smash bros thread for more stuffs.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
May I note within all my 9.0 runs, I have to say that the worst mechanic of the new Smash Bros games is the coin mechanic, and how I have to pay into higher difficulties.

Another small pet peeve of mine is AI on higher levels dealing more damage and knockback than regular players, as well as having greater resilience to attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

noirstronaut posted:

How many stores are you gonna scour for a double arm cannon Samus?

• Locked thread