Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The first face you see is a black ST which I think is a nice tone setter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nessus posted:

Thick, meaty, black cultural enrichment. In your Star Wars.

slapping you in the face with it, then shoving it down your throat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You're a little black to be a storm trooper.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

People liked Mace Windu :)

Which is a shame because he was terrible. Maybe a bit less terrible than everything else in those films though.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
This thread has me reminiscing about the build-up to Episode I in 1999. I have to believe there's never been a movie with higher expectations. Maybe the Matrix sequel came close.

I remember the morning of the day I went to Episode I, the local newspaper gave it a bad review. I figured oh they're just trying to be controversial, drum up readership, etc. Went into the theater expecting this monumental event, once-in-a-lifetime movie-going experience, kept waiting for it to get really good, left just kind of numb/dazed thinking "that lightsaber fight was pretty cool but, that was it?". I'm sure others who saw it in theaters had similar experiences.

Then the Episode II teaser and trailer came out and looked incredible and everyone thought "okay the first one was a bit of a letdown but now it'll get really good" and then II was somehow even worse than I. Episode III wasn't terrible comparatively and I think was boosted a bit by expectations being substantially lowered over the preceding six years.

This is 20/20 hindsight of course (everyone expected the prequels to be awesome) but I wonder now if it would have been better to make these movies (sequels) instead back in the late '90s. I feel like people just wanted more Star Wars, not Star Wars prequels specifically or six hours of backstory on how Darth Vader came to be. The prequels (among their many other issues) suffered a lot from "we already know how this is going to turn out / what happens to this character and that one" syndrome.

edit: eh the more I think about it Episode III was pretty bad too.

Ross fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 30, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The fan reactions to That Black Stormtrooper aren't too surprising, given what happened the last time a Star Wars film had a black protagonist.

It's a bit of stretch to call him a protagonist since James Earl Jones only voiced Darth Vader.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If black storm trooper turns out to be a Jedi, as is really suggested by the teaser, I will be so happy.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

AndyElusive posted:

It's a bit of stretch to call him a protagonist since James Earl Jones only voiced Darth Vader.

All they need to do is dub a white guy's voice over Boyega and they have a complete reverse Vader!

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Ross posted:

This thread has me reminiscing about the build-up to Episode I in 1999. I have to believe there's never been a movie with higher expectations.

Funny you should mention that, I was just reading this - Ridiculously positive reactions to the Phantom Menace teaser

quote:

As I prepare to sleep now, visions of the prequel dance behind my eyes. I am exhausted, but I know sleep won't come easy. Now that the worst wait is over, the final stretch begins. Six months. I could do that standing on my head. Whatever we're going to see in those theaters next May, it's going to be something special. More importantly, the experience of seeing it with all of you will make it even more special. I am thankful I saw it with that crowd tonight. There was love pouring out of everyone in that theater. There was joy, pure and simple, over the viewing of the footage. I felt like I was among family.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And ep 4 turned out to be a pretty good star wars movie so let's hope ep 7 follows suit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

All they need to do is dub a white guy's voice over Boyega and they have a complete reverse Vader!

If it's not Mark Hamill then that'll just be a disgusting waste of that dudes voice talents.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

Which is a shame because he was terrible. Maybe a bit less terrible than everything else in those films though.

Mace Windu being a Jedi doesn't make him a protagonist. His role is always to be a stodgy old cop.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mace Windu being a Jedi doesn't make him a protagonist. His role is always to be a stodgy old cop.

Did he happen to be getting too old for this poo poo?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The fan reactions to That Black Stormtrooper aren't too surprising, given what happened the last time a Star Wars film had a black protagonist.

Jar Jar Binks?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pander posted:

Did he happen to be getting too old for this sith?

:eng101:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ross posted:

This thread has me reminiscing about the build-up to Episode I in 1999. I have to believe there's never been a movie with higher expectations. Maybe the Matrix sequel came close.

I remember the morning of the day I went to Episode I, the local newspaper gave it a bad review. I figured oh they're just trying to be controversial, drum up readership, etc. Went into the theater expecting this monumental event, once-in-a-lifetime movie-going experience, kept waiting for it to get really good, left just kind of numb/dazed thinking "that lightsaber fight was pretty cool but, that was it?". I'm sure others who saw it in theaters had similar experiences.

Then the Episode II teaser and trailer came out and looked incredible and everyone thought "okay the first one was a bit of a letdown but now it'll get really good" and then II was somehow even worse than I. Episode III wasn't terrible comparatively and I think was boosted a bit by expectations being substantially lowered over the preceding six years.

This is 20/20 hindsight of course (everyone expected the prequels to be awesome) but I wonder now if it would have been better to make these movies (sequels) instead back in the late '90s. I feel like people just wanted more Star Wars, not Star Wars prequels specifically or six hours of backstory on how Darth Vader came to be. The prequels (among their many other issues) suffered a lot from "we already know how this is going to turn out / what happens to this character and that one" syndrome.

edit: eh the more I think about it Episode III was pretty bad too.

Half the reason why Episode III was decent was because it FINALLY gave viewers what they should have been seeing for three movies.

I'm not saying you have to show constant warfare in every scene, and I actually think the idea of starting with a young innocent boy at the beginning works. But if you're going to make this about the most feared man in the galaxy who we already know has internal turmoil loving show us. Using hamfisted dialogue and a slow plot won't make us care about this kid, especially when he comes across as one of the stupidest people in the entire galaxy in Episode II.

In regards to this teaser, I got the feeling that they rushed to get out something as early as possible to jack the excitement up to 11 and keep it there for a whole year. At this point in the production cycle what we got was probably the limit of what they feel confident showing given post-production CGI.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Am I the only one that really enjoyed the preauels? I mean yeah the dialog was lovely, but anakin was supposed to be a whiny spoiled poo poo and HC happened to be a good choice for that/did what he was told. The action was fantastic, the lightsabers duels were awesome, and the cool pre-empire clone stuff was rad as gently caress :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also like them, Tusen Takk

I like them a lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yaws posted:

Jar Jar Binks?

I hope it turns out that Jar Jar Binks is the new sith lord.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Darko posted:

Outside of parts of a couple (and which couple depends on the person you've asked), they've all been basically cost saving prepackaged deals with a marketing vision as opposed to an artistic one, that purposely avoid risks or breaking away from the marketing.

This is practically the opposite of Star Wars, which for better or worse, have been auteur vision, mostly free of studio constraints.

Somewhat because of this, the failure of the prequels is far more interesting and generates far more conversation and perspective changing than Iron Man or Avengers. An interesting failure > by the numbers mediocrity.

Abrams is a better director than anyone outside of maybe Gunn on the Marvel side, so this movie is more promising by default - but given the Marvel record, there is a huge danger there.

Yes; I guess when you put it that way black is white.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Am I the only one that really enjoyed the preauels?

How old were you when you saw them?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I sort of enjoyed the pringles.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Dysgenesis posted:

Something about the opening scene, it doesn't feel that cinematic

Depending on how you look at it, that may be the most cinematic shot in the trailer. Looks like he's rising from a wreckage. It's probably the single most compelling thing in the trailer to me because it's unexpected and slightly disorienting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sebmojo posted:

Yes; I guess when you put it that way black is white.

Star Wars had a marketing theme develop around the film, whereas the Marvel universe (and really everything Disney does) has a film develop around a marketing theme.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I was 18 when I saw Episode I. 34 now.

Man 1999 was along time ago :)

Love Rat posted:

Depending on how you look at it, that may be the most cinematic shot in the trailer. Looks like he's rising from a wreckage. It's probably the single most compelling thing in the trailer to me because it's unexpected and slightly disorienting.

I agree. I instantly wanted to know who this was, why he's there, what he's so worried about, is he really a Storm Trooper, etc. Great interest-builder.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is that soccer ball droid actually Artoo? The top part looks like Artoo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Gonz posted:

I'm gonna make a strong suggestion right now that everyone avoid reading the spoilers that i'm referring to. Avoid them at all costs for the next 380+ days if possible. Take a 12 month vacation in Antarctica if need be. Because if they're real, and that's the ending of the movie, then it is imperative that all human beings should see and hear about it for the first time during the premiere of the film.
People act like spoilers are the most taboo thing ever.
I've read the spoilers, and if they're accurate, it will still be very interesting watching the movie and knowing what it's building to.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Dagda posted:

How old were you when you saw them?

I was like 10 when TPM came out, but I just watched them again as an bitter adult ready to lash out against the memories of my childhood to see if they truly were awful garbage and it was just as cool, so I don't really see how what age I saw them at changes anything :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Revenge of the sith is fantastic and like my second favorite SW movie. It's pretty great.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Ross posted:

I was 18 when I saw Episode I. 34 now.

Man 1999 was along time ago :)

I agree. I instantly wanted to know who this was, why he's there, what he's so worried about, is he really a Storm Trooper, etc. Great interest-builder.

I'm 37 now. I was one of those sad husks who made a sincere effort to defend the Phantom Menace. It took about two months for the denial to subside.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Love Rat posted:

I'm 37 now. I was one of those sad husks who made a sincere effort to defend the Phantom Menace. It took about two months for the denial to subside.

Watch it again except with the assumption that the Jedi are bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

euphronius posted:

Watch it again except with the assumption that the Jedi are bad.

Do this. There's still issues with the prequels of course, but people seemed to miss that Lucas feels the same way about the Jedi in these movies that Kurosawa felt about the samurai in his own.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

I was like 10 when TPM came out, but I just watched them again as an bitter adult ready to lash out against the memories of my childhood to see if they truly were awful garbage and it was just as cool, so I don't really see how what age I saw them at changes anything :shrug:

Nostalgia influences our perceptions even into adulthood. That's why I still like Star Wars 30 years later (yes, I mean the original movies not the prequels), when they are just corny adventure movies. I have no doubt it shapes how younger people perceive the prequels as well.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Raxivace posted:

Do this. There's still issues with the prequels of course, but people seemed to miss that Lucas feels the same way about the Jedi in these movies that Kurosawa felt about the samurai in his own.

More proof that Lucas generally gets it with "big picture" things but loses it on "drama", "script writing," and "acting." Or hell, even scene direction.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

unlimited shrimp posted:

People act like spoilers are the most taboo thing ever.

There was a study that found people enjoy stuff more when it has been spoiled for them, because they are more focused on what's happening vs trying to guess what will.

I can't convince myself it's the way to go though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

More proof that Lucas generally gets it with "big picture" things but loses it on "drama", "script writing," and "acting." Or hell, even scene direction.

Luckily those thing are not essential to making an entertaining move.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Raxivace posted:

I won't claim to be an expert on Kurosawa (I've seen Seven Samurai a few times and that's it) but I always thought this movie was an homage to samurai as noble/heroic figures and their tragic futility. The prequel Jedi definitely have the tragic futility thing but saying "the Jedi/Samurai are bad" in either case seems like a reach to me.

I could be way off though, again I don't really know much about Kurosawa.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pook Good Mook posted:

These complaints are invariably based on the presumption that the Jedi are good.

I've never, for example, seen anyone argue that Anakin is supposed to be pathetic and that Christensen does a bad job acting pathetic. It's always one or the other.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

Am I the only one that really enjoyed the preauels? I mean yeah the dialog was lovely, but anakin was supposed to be a whiny spoiled poo poo and HC happened to be a good choice for that/did what he was told. The action was fantastic, the lightsabers duels were awesome, and the cool pre-empire clone stuff was rad as gently caress :colbert:

Yes you are the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yeah, I think Lucas' biggest issue is that he just isn't the greatest of film craftsmen. He's amazing at synthesizing different ideas into a coherent single basic whole- just look at how the original Star Wars draws on material as different as The Searchers, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, The Hidden Fortress, Metropolis, and Triumph of the Will and tons of stuff I'm sure I've never even heard of...but Star Wars still has its very own identity. Even the prequels are pretty good about this sort of thing- Anakin is a great spin on that protagonist kid from Sansho the Bailiff, but he's still very much Anakin Skywalker.

Lucas just needs someone to really help make it "click" with audiences a little more. Like I have no doubt that the Anakin and Padme romance scenes are meant to be awkward, but the film should maybe appear a little more self-aware about how awkward they are.

On the other hand some people we're going to go into these movies looking for the OT again and not seeing the prequels for what they are trying to be (Instead of what they wanted them to be), so Lucas is fighting a losing battle in some ways.

• Locked thread