Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

Jabba the hutt sending "slave leia" up to boba fetts room as like a gratuity/fringe benefit and him telling her he won't cheifly b/c sex outside of marraige is wrong.

this actually happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Was there ever any gay people in the EU? Outside of droid couples I mean.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just remembered it from some story or novel I read when I was 13.

Wookepedia has a bit about it but no citation: "Apparently, when Leia unfroze Solo and was to be Jabba's slave girl, Jabba sent her to Fett to "entertain" the hunter. Boba, due to his moral code, declined, but did not send Leia back, as it would be an insult to the crime lord. Instead, Fett and Leia argued about the Rebellion's wrong doings and the Empire's actions. Fett swiftly curtailed the argument after getting uncharacteristically angry and fell asleep."

I remember it because even as a teen it was a weird exchange b/c he's like "I'm not going to do nothing because sex outside wedlock is wrong" and she's like "Ya also rape right?" and he's like "Oh yeah! that too!"

I feel like "Notorious bounty hunter Boba Fett does not believe in fornication" was probably some weird moralizing lesson some fundie weirdo licensed fiction writer shoehorned in like a low budget version of the weird "truther" undercurrent to Star Trek Wrath of White Khan.

E: Found it. It's from Fett's story in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters anthology.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 29, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Was there ever any gay people in the EU? Outside of droid couples I mean.

yes (however they were written by karen traviss)

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Otisburg posted:

I just remembered it from some story or novel I read when I was 13.

Wookepedia has a bit about it but no citation: "Apparently, when Leia unfroze Solo and was to be Jabba's slave girl, Jabba sent her to Fett to "entertain" the hunter. Boba, due to his moral code, declined, but did not send Leia back, as it would be an insult to the crime lord. Instead, Fett and Leia argued about the Rebellion's wrong doings and the Empire's actions. Fett swiftly curtailed the argument after getting uncharacteristically angry and fell asleep."

I remember it because even as a teen it was a weird exchange b/c he's like "I'm not going to do nothing because sex outside wedlock is wrong" and she's like "Ya also rape right?" and he's like "Oh yeah! that too!"

I feel like "Notorious bounty hunter Boba Fett does not believe in fornication" was probably some weird moralizing lesson some fundie weirdo licensed fiction writer shoehorned in like a low budget version of the weird "truther" undercurrent to Star Trek Wrath of White Khan.

E: Found it. It's from Fett's story in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters anthology.

Fett was basically Exaggerated Puritan Frank Castle in those stories. And they were like the only things in the books that were halfway decent.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

agh i just cut my torso apart with the ultimate impractical lightsaber weapon

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
everything outside of kotor era EU stuff is pretty bad and even kotor stuff is not without its rape

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Jedis count sheep to meditate and talk to force ghosts

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_shadows

quote:

Beyond shadows was the name given to a realm of the Force to which Force-sensitives went when they separated their minds from their physical beings. The locations beyond shadows each had a corresponding, real location in the physical galaxy on a planet in the Maw. The technique of separation was practiced by the Mind Walkers at Sinkhole Station, a space station in the Maw. To go beyond shadows a being first went into a state of meditation and then pictured one number at a time, beginning with the number one and finishing with seven, which, when pictured, completely severed the being's mind from their body. The sensation felt by Force-sensitives when beyond shadows was that time was meaningless. Every instant felt as if it lasted forever. As such, it was impossible to keep track of real time while beyond shadows. This made going beyond shadows a dangerous task, as, although the Force could sustain a being's body for a while, the body couldn't live without nutrition forever and thus the being could abruptly die while beyond shadows. The Mind Walkers, however, were unconcerned by this fact, as they believed that everything was an illusion except for the Force.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 29, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Real question: is the Holiday Special canon? It was made by George Lucas, after all.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Real question: is the Holiday Special canon? It was made by George Lucas, after all.

The Holocron continuity database was an internal database maintained by Lucas Licensing for the express purpose of trying to maintain continuity within all licensed products, prior to the April 2014 declaration of a single official canon. This Holocron was sorted into four levels of canon, that reflected LFL's canon and continuity policies: G, T, C, S, and N. G, T, C, and S together formed an overall continuity that was considered by Lucasfilm to be the "true" Star Wars canon prior to the decanonization of the Expanded Universe.

G (George Lucas) canon was absolute canon. This category included the six films, some of the deleted scenes from the films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon overruled all other forms of canon when there was a contradiction.

T canon referred to the canon level comprising only the television show Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

C (continuity) canon referred to the main body of EU work, and was the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label but not falling into either G, S, or N was C canon, and was considered authoritative as long as not contradicted by G canon. Games were a special case as generally only the stories would be "C-canon" while things like stats and gameplay are "N-canon". If the video game had several possible ends or if the player could choose the gender or the species of the main character, only one of each is considered C-canon. C-canon elements have been known to appear in the movies, thus making them G-canon. (This included: the name "Coruscant", swoop bikes, Aayla Secura, YT-2400 freighters and Action VI Transports.)

S (secondary) canon referred to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which would not ordinarily fit in the main continuity of G and C canon. Unless referenced by a G or C-level source, the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements were still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. For example, this included The Star Wars Holiday Special, the Marvel comics, the popular online roleplaying game Star Wars Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. What-if stories (such as those published under the Infinities label), game stats, "comic" material such as Angry Birds Star Wars or Star Wars: Jedi Academy and anything else that was directly contradicted by higher canon and could not at all fit into continuity was placed into this category. "N-canon" is the only level that was not at all considered canon by Lucasfilm.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
are the pinball games canon? because the pinball fx tables are probably the best thing released under the star wars name in the past 30 years (or whenver xwing vs tiefighter came out)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
If LEGO Star Wars ain't canon then ain't nothing canon :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Howard Beale posted:

If LEGO Star Wars ain't canon then ain't nothing canon :colbert:

All those movies and tv shows are just try-hard fanfictions of the true Lego Star Wars universe's canon

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The only good EU poo poo was X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Shadows of the Empire, and even that feels like I'm pushing it.

PS Thrawn was a MASSIVE Mary-Sue character in the books, nerds

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Booblord Zagats posted:

The only good EU poo poo was X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Shadows of the Empire, and even that feels like I'm pushing it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly this is actually pretty fun

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

the fact that he's regarded as one of the good things in the EU is a reflection of the smallness of his fetid little pond rather than the big healthiness of his fish-dom

poo poo i think the metaphor broke down on me but you get where i'm going

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Star Wars at its very best is nothing more than enjoyable mindcandy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Otisburg posted:

agh i just cut my torso apart with the ultimate impractical lightsaber weapon

I don't think people hit themselves with whips that often, but let's face it. Everything lightsaber training related is just ridiculously dangerous.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

No poo poo. Dorie Miller might have shot down some Zeroes at the battle of Pearl Harbor and won the Navy Cross, but he never made it past Ship's Cook Third Class thanks to institutionalized racism against black people in the U.S. Navy. I'd imagine the xenophobic Empire, in which there are no aliens in it's military forces seen in the primary source and the only cooperation we see between the human supremacist Imperial Navy are either as outsourced bounty hunter "scum" or informants on Tattooine, would be even worse, despite Thrawn just being a humanoid with blue skin.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

No poo poo. Dorie Miller might have shot down some Zeroes at the battle of Pearl Harbor and won the Navy Cross, but he never made it past Ship's Cook Third Class thanks to institutionalized racism against black people in the U.S. Navy. I'd imagine the xenophobic Empire, in which there are no aliens in it's military forces seen in the primary source and the only cooperation we see between the human supremacist Imperial Navy are either as outsourced bounty hunter "scum" or informants on Tattooine, would be even worse, despite Thrawn just being a humanoid with blue skin.

Well, USA didn't have an emperor that could do whatever he loving wanted. If Palpy wanted Thrawn as a Grand Admiral then who would stop him from doing so?
:goonsay:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It does seem like the the human supremacy thing would just be something he went along with on the surface to play to the cheap seats. "Them aliens attacked us with droids! Humans uber alles"

In practice he seemed like the type to recognize and exploit talent where he saw it, whether it's a tattooed zabrak henchman or that weird spike-tail-head right hand man guy or whatever.

e: also ziro the hutt the riduculous gay stereotype slug man was really bad but he's technically s-canon, the best canon, and not EU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wasn't the whole human supremacy thing made up to lower the costume budget?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I don't think it's ever explicit in any :airquote: g-canon :airquote: but I think it's not unreasonable to infer it from a number of factors including the contrast with rebel forces who were egalitarian enough to put a fish guy in charge and the detention officers reaction to chewie etc etc

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I don't think it's ever explicit in any :quote: g-canon :quote: but I think it's not unreasonable to infer it from a number of factors including the contrast with rebel forces who were egalitarian enough to put a fish guy in charge and the detention officers reaction to chewie etc etc

Not just that, but we also have the bridge officers' reaction to aforementioned "scum" of lizard man Bossk, bug man Zuckuss, robot men IG-88 and 4-LOM, and the other bounty hunters, where we couldn't really tell what Boba Fett was and Dengar is looks like some subhuman mutant with his scars.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 30, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Dengar is looks like some subhuman mutant with his scars.

who has a life long vendetta against solo for mutilating him in a hovercycle racing accident because of course no one can just be some guy brought in as a contractor to hunt people it's gotta be this incestuous web of backstories.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Otisburg posted:

who has a life long vendetta against solo for mutilating him in a hovercycle racing accident because of course no one can just be some guy brought in as a contractor to hunt people it's gotta be this incestuous web of backstories.

"Ok, who here doesn't have some bizarre connection to the main characters?" *One lone storm trooper in the back raises his hand.

"Get the gently caress out!"

*Forty years later.

"Is that how you survived the battle of Yavin grandpa?"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i was han solo's college roommate and i am here to hunt him because he was a bad roommate

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

FordPRefectLL posted:

i was han solo's college roommate and i am here to hunt him because he was a bad roommate

Oh god, did he claim he wasn't eating your food, but would constantly leave the cheese out after cutting it so you had crusty cheese you had to shave?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh god, did he claim he wasn't eating your food, but would constantly leave the cheese out after cutting it so you had crusty cheese you had to shave?

Naw man, I kept finding wookie hair in MY peanut butter.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that babby was conceived with the armor on, too, wasn't it?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 30, 2014

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

:wtc:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Otisburg posted:

that babby was conceived with the armor on, too, wasn't it?

it was born in the sarlaacs stomach and the lady is the daughter of moff tarkin

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The "human supremacy" stuff isn't in the movies at all.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

david... posted:

it was born in the sarlaacs stomach and the lady is the daughter of moff tarkin

Neither of those things are accurate.

Sintas Vel was a female Kiffar born on the planet Kiffu in the year 34 BBY. At some point in her youth, Sintas would take up the profession of bounty hunting. It was during her career as a bounty hunter that Sintas would meet fellow bounty hunter, Boba Fett. The two fell in love and were married in 16 BBY, when Sintas was eighteen and Fett sixteen years old. Though Sintas told Fett that he was too young to understand what he was doing, he replied that he only needed to know that she was beautiful, a terrific shot, and that he could trust her. They exchanged the simple, four-lined Mandalorian marriage vow—though neither spoke Mando'a at the time and didn't understand the words it entailed—and Fett presented Sintas with a heart-of-fire gemstone from Kiffu, which was believed to contain a part of both individuals' souls in the Kiffar culture, and that she had strung upon a necklace.

Sintas and Fett settled on the agricultural world of Concord Dawn, where Fett gave up his life as a bounty hunter to become a Journeyman Protector, one of the planet's constables charged with upholding the law. A year later, in 15 BBY, the young couple had a daughter they named Ailyn. Around this time, however, Sintas was raped by Fett's superior officer in the Journeyman Protectors, a man whom Fett had considered a friend and mentor: Lenovar. Sintas never told anyone about being raped, not even Fett, though Fett would eventually find out the truth for himself. When he did, despite Sintas' pleas to the contrary, Fett killed Lenovar, a crime for which Fett was arrested, imprisoned, and tried. Because Fett didn't reveal the truth of Lenovar's own crimes to the magistrate in an attempt to protect Sintas, he was found unrepentantly guilty and exiled from Concord Dawn. Fett's exile and a series of bitter arguments and recriminations—including among them an instance where Fett demanded to know if Ailyn was really even his daughter—served to tear the couple apart and the two separated after three years of marriage when Ailyn was only two years old, leaving Sintas to care for her daughter alone. To this end, Sintas continued to work as a bounty hunter in order to support Ailyn.

Years later, Boba Fett sent Connor Freeman, a clone relative of Jango Fett, to Concord Dawn to find Sintas and protect her from unknown assassins that were after Fett's family. Connor did manage to find Vel's home on Concord Dawn. While Connor was surprised to find Sintas' young daughter at the door, Sintas came behind him to confront him as to what he wanted. Before he got much of a chance to answer, a Devaronian strike team in a landspeeder began shooting at them, and Connor proved his good intentions by helping them dispatch them. Relocating to an armored safehouse in town, Sintas started telling him about how much he reminded her of Fett, and kissed him. As he was eating a late dinner afterwards, Connor discovered a family holo, discovering that he had just kissed his brother's wife. Confronting him about it, Sintas explained Fett's time as a Journeyman Protector and how their marriage had played its course, with Ailyn getting up and making fun of them for kissing. Just then the safehouse door blew open, and Connor was able to deflect it from them which his cybernetic arm. As Governor Purton revealed himself as the man trying to kill Fett and his family, Connor and the Vels took cover from his grenades in the storage basement, with Sintas giving him a set of yellow Mandalorian armor. Purton then followed the grenades with a strike team, and they were able to force the governor into the basement with them. After killing his guards, Purton explained that he wanted revenge for Fett killing his son, Lenovar, which prompted Sintas to tell him that Fett had killed Lenovar because he had viciously raped her, which Fett didn't reveal during the trial in order to protect her. Not believing her and calling her a liar, Purton attempted to strangle her, forcing Connor to shoot and kill him. Sintas then kissed Connor goodbye, explaining that Fett or anyone like him just brought her trouble. Unbeknown to her, Fett was standing by the trapdoor right then, watching his wife and daughter in silence. He then left with Connor, without revealing himself to Sintas.

At some point prior to 1 ABY, a canister containing a holo-image of Sintas, Fett, and their daughter that belonged to Sintas was stolen by the criminal known as Pizztov.[4] The only image of the three together as a family, Sintas tracked Pizztov to the city of Bidamount where Pizztov was attempting to use the canister to extort over six million credits from Boba Fett with the threat of auctioning it off to the public in one of Bidamount's auction houses. Breaking through the floor of Pizztov's quarters, Sintas demanded the return of her property at blaster point, shooting one of Pizztov's bodyguards when he attempted to stop her. At the same time, Fett arrived, saving Sintas from a second guard's attempts to kill her, though he was looking to take the canister for himself. Pizztov fled and Sintas gave chase, eventually catching and shooting the man in the back; before she could claim her stolen property, Fett shot the canister from her hand. Pizztov attacked Fett with one of Sintas' blaster pistols, though he missed and was killed by Fett. Wounded, Sintas pleaded with Fett not to take the canister, and Fett explained that the reason he'd fired was because the canister had been rigged to explode if not opened correctly. Upon opening the canister and seeing the holo of his family along with Sintas' tearful reaction, Fett decided to return the canister to Sintas instead of destroying it as he had originally planned. Though she was grateful, Sintas was also dismayed when Fett left her again, this time wounded. Despite this second abandonment, Fett's actions in recovering the hologram gave Sintas hope that he still in some way cared for her.

Just before Ailyn's sixteenth birthday in the year 1 ABY, Sintas took a job pursuing a bounty for a large sum of credits. She planned to use the money to take her daughter to Coruscant in order to see the city and buy her some nice things for her birthday. Unfortunately, Sintas would never return home from her mission: she was captured and drugged with a sedative by a man looking to ransom her, possibly recognizing her as Boba Fett's ex-wife. When she didn't return, Ailyn believed Sintas to be dead and began to hate Fett, feeling as though it was Fett's fault for abandoning them. She became a bounty hunter, herself, and would devote her life to hating her father and make several attempts to find and kill him, even killing a clone she mistook for Fett and raising her own daughter, Mirta, to hate Fett. Ailyn also managed to recover the heart-of-fire necklace that Fett had given to Sintas from the man believed to have killed her, eventually passing it on to Mirta as part of another attempt to kill Fett. When Ailyn was killed by Jacen Solo in 40 ABY, Mirta and Fett were able to establish an uneasy peace between them, and together attempted to find out what had happened to Sintas. During one evening at the Oyu'baat tapcaf on Mandalore, Fett and Mirta were approached by the elderly Mandalorian Gotab who introduced himself as a Kiffar capable of reading the memories from the heart-of-fire gem Mirta had, in order to help shed light on Sintas' death. Gotab's insight and Mirta's further research led the pair to the planet Phaeda where they found Sintas not dead, but frozen in a slab of carbonite among the belonging of the dead gangster, Hidu Rezodar. Taking Sintas back to Mandalore, Fett and Mirta revived Sintas from carbon-freeze after nearly forty years with the help of Fett's doctor, Beluine. Initially, Sintas suffered from severe confusion, dizziness, sensitivity to sound, and blindness, and it soon came to light that she was suffering from amnesia as well, unable to recall large portions of her life or even who she was.

Though appearing to still be in her mid-thirties due to the carbon-freezing process, in her impaired state, Sintas was forced to rely on the kindness of strangers, living on Mandalore at the home of Goran Beviin—the closest person Fett had to a friend—and attended to by her granddaughter, Mirta, and Beviin's partner, Medrit. Mirta returned her heart-of-fire necklace to her, and the others, including Fett, attempted to remind her of her past, but made little progress. It was only when Jedi Knight Jaina Solo—on Mandalore seeking training from Fett in order to deal with her Sith Lord brother, Jacen—enlisted the help of Gotab, who was in fact not a Kiffar at all, but a Jedi-turned-Mandalorian well acquainted with Force healing, that any true progress was made. Gotab used the Force to restore Sintas' lost sight, and allow her to recover her lost memories.

With her lost memory returned, Sintas swore to avenge the death of Ailyn if the opportunity arose, and was able to explain the circumstances of her and Fett's divorce to her granddaughter, revealing that she had never told Ailyn the truth or raised her to hate Fett, but that Ailyn had attempted to fill in the blanks for herself after Sintas disappeared and made Fett out to be more callous in her mind than in reality. When Mirta married Ghes Orade, Sintas attended the celebratory feast afterward at the home of Orade's father, Novoc Vevut. Sintas was also able to make peace with Fett, who was already remorseful for his role in leaving her and abandoning his daughter. He gave her another heart-of-fire gem, a rarer and more expensive blue-colored one, along with a portfolio of stock shares and properties he owned, explaining that she could either keep or sell them in order to allow Sintas to never have to hunt bounties in order to make a living again. Fett also informed her that no matter what her decision, she would be welcome to stay on Mandalore for the rest of her life.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 30, 2014

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
please don't post your fanfic in this thread tia~

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Howard Beale posted:

The character of "Sintas" first appeared in the short comic, Outbid But Never Outgunned from Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars Tales 7, a story which primarily featured Boba Fett and a brief glimpse into what was, at the time, a mysterious past. Though the first twenty issues of Tales series canonicity was dubious at the time, Sintas' character was later canonized with appearances in both the Star Wars Gamer article, Unusual Suspects, and the Star Wars Insider article, The History of the Mandalorians where she's first identified as "Sintas Vel". She later featured in the Legacy of the Force novel series, receiving mentions in both Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines and Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice by author Karen Traviss, before making a full appearance in Traviss' third Legacy of the Force novel, Legacy of the Force: Revelation, where her character and history were further fleshed out.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Howard Beale posted:

...does my star wars campaign count as a fanfic? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

is the jar jar padme romance canon?

• Locked thread