Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Much like Persona 4, the end of one labyrinth is a good time to go back and knock out the previous one's optional boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Are the Card Soldiers just damage sponges? I'm fighting one right now, and they don't seem all that dangerous, but it's taking a while to bring them down.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, pretty much.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are the Card Soldiers just damage sponges? I'm fighting one right now, and they don't seem all that dangerous, but it's taking a while to bring them down.

This game has a much gentler lead-in than any EO game I've ever played (most of them), even on the harder difficulties. The early FOEs can barely do anything past a normal attack, which I can only imagine is intentionally to make the beginning of the game consistently gentle before it ramps up later. They probably went a little too far on the easy side when even the FOEs don't do anything but eh.

This game is great in case anyone reading this thread is on the fence.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ruggington posted:

all three of those happen in p4 though

Not in the way I meant, but its a better topic for the megathread.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Card Soldiers are jackasses because they're nothing but damage sponges. They have no weaknesses, which means no boost chaining except through crits, which means no using spells, which means they take forever and a day to die and your casters do nothing.

Weaknesses are far too important in this game. The first FOEs in the second labyrinth do have weaknesses and they're just much more enjoyable to fight.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man, the third FOE of labyrinth two is way stronger than the previous two by a massive amount, it actually took effort to kill the moment I first found one.

Dexie posted:

What's a good level to do the "Investigate You in Wonderland" request? That drat beetle is kicking my rear end.

I killed it the moment it showed up, level 20, but my entire front line was wearing the male&dog armor that unlocks from killing the second FOE in labyrinth two. If you've already got that just make sure to have lots of lightning damage as that's the only thing it's weak to, as well as tarunda.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I'm not nearly as far in the game as most of the rest of you and I don't have much to contribute to the thread, I just wanted to express the sheer happiness I feel to have Lotus Juice back in my life.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dexie posted:

What's a good level to do the "Investigate You in Wonderland" request? That drat beetle is kicking my rear end.

equip kaguya on someone with a lightning skill. congrats, you are now basically invincible.

also, someone give me a hint about this door puzzle on the fourth floor of the third labyrinth. no need to spoil the answer entirely, just a tip about what the letters mean, or where to find a clue in-game.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 30, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

equip kaguya on someone with a lightning skill. congrats, you are now basically invincible.

also, someone give me a hint about this door puzzle on the fourth floor of the third labyrinth. no need to spoil the answer entirely, just a tip about what the letters mean, or where to find a clue in-game.

The letters are a complete red herring. You should ignore them.

VVV I sympathize.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

The letters are a complete red herring. You should ignore them.

atlus :argh:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Someone said status effects work well I think.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What spell gets rid of Stona?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

What spell gets rid of Stona?

anything that cures ailments. patra, patra stones, purifying rain, etc. i don't think there are any specific cures for specific ailments.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Inflammatory posted:

anything that cures ailments. patra, patra stones, purifying rain, etc. i don't think there are any specific cures for specific ailments.

Gah I forgot all my patra stones in the workshop and no one has patra in my crew. drat it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
getting hit by an element you null/absorb still removes boost. lame.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

Getting hit by a panicked teammate won't at least.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Inflammatory posted:

jeez, that's lovely. I was hoping to use the wall skills to keep ma- spells from wiping out all my boosts.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Inflammatory posted:

That's very strange, because Immunity Buffer (High chance to null physical attacks on user) doesn't remove boost when it triggers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, even on risky, the first boss wasn't too bad. I loved it when the card soldiers showed up because that meant free boost for everyone. And if I got lucky, an all out attack would kick in. :getin:

By the way, how good is poison? I never used it but I noticed that some of the personas could inflict it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, even on risky, the first boss wasn't too bad. I loved it when the card soldiers showed up because that meant free boost for everyone. And if I got lucky, an all out attack would kick in. :getin:

By the way, how good is poison? I never used it but I noticed that some of the personas could inflict it.

Very good if you can get it to stick. It does nearly 300 damage to things in the 2nd labyrinth for me, which is pretty nice.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zurai posted:

That's very strange, because Immunity Buffer (High chance to null physical attacks on user) doesn't remove boost when it triggers.

okay maybe it's just absorb then. like in the early etrian odyssey games with the protector wall skills, where ailments would still stick if you absorbed the element of the attack that caused them, but not if you nulled it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

poison damage seems to be a percentage of max health rather than scaling with the attack that caused it like in eo. it did pretty good against early foes but i haven't really used it for a while.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Note for anyone doing the "Investigate You in Wonderland!" quest: Don't go back to heal after killing the target. It'll respawn and you probably won't be very happy about it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

Note for anyone doing the "Investigate You in Wonderland!" quest: Don't go back to heal after killing the target. It'll respawn and you probably won't be very happy about it.

On that note, 100% of FOEs (at least up to floor 2 of labyrinth 4) respawn as soon as you leave the labyrinth. Bosses not included since they don't actually drop anything but key items in this game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Inflammatory posted:

poison damage seems to be a percentage of max health rather than scaling with the attack that caused it like in eo. it did pretty good against early foes but i haven't really used it for a while.

It seems to be both: it's a percentage of max health, but different sources of poison can take away a different percentage. Weapons with a poison effect are a lot weaker than Poison Circle, for example.

By the way, has anyone else noticed an issue with HP regeneration buffs not always restoring health at the end of a round? It seems as if it's related to changing the party formation during battle, which is annoying because I have a couple of characters that I like to switch between rows a lot.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
holy poo poo, gently caress the old doll so much. even with impure reach, i cannot for the life of me land any magic binds on it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

holy poo poo, gently caress the old doll so much. even with impure reach, i cannot for the life of me land any magic binds on it.

Impure Reach affects ailments. You want Binding Hands for binds. :v:

(Get Samael.)

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 30, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
well poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Liking this a lot. I'm still very early on (just got sub personas) but I'm not using a "healer" at all because Yukiko is boring as hell and Naoto looks like she can do it with a sub persona just as hell.

There's probably a lot of overlap between Yu, Chie and Kanji but it's just not a party without chie and kanji

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Liking this a lot. I'm still very early on (just got sub personas) but I'm not using a "healer" at all because Yukiko is boring as hell and Naoto looks like she can do it with a sub persona just as hell.

There's probably a lot of overlap between Yu, Chie and Kanji but it's just not a party without chie and kanji

yeah i've gotten to the fourth labyrinth without using yukiko or yukari so you should be fine. and naoto tears poo poo up with her instant death spells.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using Yukari but I can probably count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've used Mediarama. It's really not needed with Fuuka's basic Navi ability and good strategy. Naoto could easily cover the same role with an appropriate sub-Persona and do better at since she's way faster than Yukari or Yukiko. Only reason I'm not using her is I stupidly decided to switch three dungeons ago and she's way far behind now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

yeah i've gotten to the fourth labyrinth without using yukiko or yukari so you should be fine. and naoto tears poo poo up with her instant death spells.

I was pretty dissapointed when it said Teddie has some healing except he doesn't start with it and his level 8 ability doesn't heal either so basically "Teddie will have healing after it's too late"

Naoto was so bad in vanilla P4 they overcompensated and made her by far the best member in P4 Golden. She gets mind charge, top level nuke of every element, and light and dark, and strong AOE physical attacks, and Blocks 2 elements and resists a third. Glad to see they keep the trend up in PQ

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

poison is your best friend for these fights, it hits harder per turn than just about anything that isn't mind/power charged and practically everything is vulnerable to it.

Get your mages some lightning, a protect skill on your tank, and a poison skill on someone and go to town. That fight is actually fantastic for grinding during the second dungeon because it respawns and has zero RNG bullshit, you're guaranteed a wad of experience and a low-30s level persona for winning, and the drop sells for more than the cost of healing so it's a net money gain.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was pretty dissapointed when it said Teddie has some healing except he doesn't start with it and his level 8 ability doesn't heal either so basically "Teddie will have healing after it's too late"

Naoto was so bad in vanilla P4 they overcompensated and made her by far the best member in P4 Golden. She gets mind charge, top level nuke of every element, and light and dark, and strong AOE physical attacks, and Blocks 2 elements and resists a third. Glad to see they keep the trend up in PQ

Yeah, Naoto is sort of stupid in this because the sub-Persona system gives her the flexability and sustain she needed before. Having almighty, dark, and light on hand at all times as well as a resistance to dark and light make her so much more useful than the other mages, especially if you slap a healing card on her as well. And if you get a boost then hey, free almighty nuke!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I should not be allowed to feel so good about using the arrows to draw how all the conveyor belts move you on the map. :downs:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

where do i find the arrow for this quest in the second labyrinth. i've explored the entire first floor unless there's a way back up from the second floor

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nevermind, I did it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm a bit confused. I'm on floor 2 of the 3rd maze and I got a bunch of directions to follow on some paper but even going over my map that I'm pretty sure I got down perfectly I can't figure out where I'm supposed to take said steps. My first guess was the reference room but Naoto said not there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Whelp, finally got around to finishing the first labyrinth and am now crippled with indecision as to what my team should be. Kinda wish I hadn't given Naoto my Media card so quickly, her new VA is just weird man. Also holy poo poo, P3MC blows P4MC out of the loving water.

God I wish the people not in your active party still got experience. It's so dumb that after all this time they still haven't changed that in Persona games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm a bit confused. I'm on floor 2 of the 3rd maze and I got a bunch of directions to follow on some paper but even going over my map that I'm pretty sure I got down perfectly I can't figure out where I'm supposed to take said steps. My first guess was the reference room but Naoto said not there.

You just have to look on your map to see where you can walk that path. I find it's helpful to draw it using the auto walk line. You want to look out for some kind of loop.

• Locked thread