Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Goddamn. I've just broken another spade (or whatever they're called in English) that I use to clean my cat's toilet. It's another one in a number of years so the fact of breaking is not the main annoyance. It's my cat digging to the bottom before going and then peeing so that the clump sticks to the bottom. I guess if I let it get completely dry it'll be easier to get out, but there's no way to gauge when it's dry and when it's unsanitary to leave the toilet unattended any longer. One idea I have is to add a second toilet to the roster (I have only one right now) and I'd be able to tell that one toilet is ready when my cat uses the other one, but I'm pretty sure that's nonsense. Maybe a closed toilet? Although I'm not sure how exactly that would help. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have that problem. If your cat digs there's not much you can do, unless you're willing to get a giant container and fill it two feet deep with litter sand. You might also try lining the bottom with newspaper (several sheets) but a digging cat might just tear it up.

I fill mine as deep as possible, which is much easier with one of them because it is a bigger version of one of these with a hole cut in it for cat access.

(Oddly enough, our female cat's piss clumps really well, into some sort of concrete-like material that can be cleanly separated from the plastic tray, unlike our male cat's piss which just kind of crumbles apart into moist lumps :argh:)

Edit: thanks Huntersoninski, that gives me a bit more hope :)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 28, 2014

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Barrista posted:

She may be stressed. Have you tried the feliway plug-ins? We inherited my mother-in-law's cat after she passed and she took much longer to get use to our home than our others. She wouldn't leave our upstairs guest room even after we removed the gate. It took her a year to walk into the loft and now, after 2 years, she will finally come downstairs when she wants something.

We have another cat that is easily stressed and won't use the box if we are even in the hallway. And yes, he will pee on a towel or blanket after giving us fair warning (if he starts crying a lot, we leave the area). We moved our box to a more private location that doesn't get a lot of traffic and the accidents have decreased significantly. So I'd say don't put the litterbox on a bed, move it to a part of the room that gets the least amount of traffic. As long as you show her where it is she should be fine.

We did buy a plugin after taking her to the vet, I'm not sure if it made much of a difference but it can't hurt to buy a refill as we change things up over the next few days. We'll get her a new litterbox and move it to a more private area of the room (probably in the bathroom) and see how it goes. Today I'm going to go to town on the mattress with the "Urine Destroyer" to eliminate any smells in there as well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I ask mainly cause I don't know much and it's moot point as I clean my hands afterwards, but is it possible to actually catch anything through cat waste, feces or urine?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Toxoplasma is the one most people know of. It is a protozoal parasite that cats get from hunting or undercooked meat and is passed through the cats feces. Some cats get clinically ill, many do not. After 24 hours or so, the eggs in the cat feces can become infective by ingesting the eggs. Toxoplasma does nasty things to human feti and immunosompromised people - not a lot to normal people, but there has been some research suggesting it can alter human behavior - when it infects mice it makes them bold, so they are more likely to be eaten by a cat and continue the parasite's life cycle. A cat is generally infective once, and then immunity means they won't shed eggs again. If there is someone at risk for Toxo, wear gloves, change box daily to 2x a day, clean completely more regularly with boiling water, wash hands often (as you need to ingest it), and wash garden vegetables well for the out door cats that come and poo poo in your yard.

Then there are the regular bacteria that can show in feces - Salmonella, E-coli, etc. - and part of that depends on if they ingest it on their diets.

Urine is sterile until environmental bacteria get in it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

Toxoplasma is the one most people know of. It is a protozoal parasite that cats get from hunting or undercooked meat and is passed through the cats feces. Some cats get clinically ill, many do not. After 24 hours or so, the eggs in the cat feces can become infective by ingesting the eggs. Toxoplasma does nasty things to human feti and immunosompromised people - not a lot to normal people, but there has been some research suggesting it can alter human behavior - when it infects mice it makes them bold, so they are more likely to be eaten by a cat and continue the parasite's life cycle. A cat is generally infective once, and then immunity means they won't shed eggs again. If there is someone at risk for Toxo, wear gloves, change box daily to 2x a day, clean completely more regularly with boiling water, wash hands often (as you need to ingest it), and wash garden vegetables well for the out door cats that come and poo poo in your yard.

Then there are the regular bacteria that can show in feces - Salmonella, E-coli, etc. - and part of that depends on if they ingest it on their diets.

Urine is sterile until environmental bacteria get in it.

Woah thank you. Not going to be an issue as she doesn't got outdoors, but still good to know, if I ever start acting weird.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Well, I'm kind of pissed now. So I don't live alone and Panda, the cat that got hurt, technically isn't even my cat. His owners haven't really been that attentive after his surgery, and they've even made fun of me when I kept telling them to block off the stairs so the cat would stop climbing them as per the vet's orders.

Cue this morning. Cat tried to climb or jump up something because they decided not to just let him roam the house last night. He can't walk now, he can't even sit up anymore and they're all upset and talking about getting him put down if he has to get more surgery. But this is all their own drat fault, it could have been completely avoided just by following the vet's instructions to keep him from climbing.

How about you inform them not to get another animal again because they are shitlords and take the cat yourself.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

We did buy a plugin after taking her to the vet, I'm not sure if it made much of a difference but it can't hurt to buy a refill as we change things up over the next few days. We'll get her a new litterbox and move it to a more private area of the room (probably in the bathroom) and see how it goes. Today I'm going to go to town on the mattress with the "Urine Destroyer" to eliminate any smells in there as well.

Besides the feliway plugin my vet has recommended adding some Rescue Remedy to my nervous cat's food or water once a day. I think it has been helping her somewhat.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Anyone have a good vacuum cleaner or brand they recommend that can suck up cat litter? My vacuum likes to just hold on to the litter and when it goes over a bump it dumps it from where it is hiding :|

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Danith posted:

Anyone have a good vacuum cleaner or brand they recommend that can suck up cat litter? My vacuum likes to just hold on to the litter and when it goes over a bump it dumps it from where it is hiding :|

Shark rotator lift-away pro. It's expensive, but it does the best I've seen on cat litter that isn't a shop vac.

A Dyson of some sort may also work, but the Shark was half the cost.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

effika posted:

Shark rotator lift-away pro. It's expensive, but it does the best I've seen on cat litter that isn't a shop vac.

A Dyson of some sort may also work, but the Shark was half the cost.

Beaten. Get a shark seriously you will thank me later. I love the pet hair attachment. I got mine on sale at target earlier this year for $150, they go on sale at kohls occasionally too.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Yep. We got a Shark handed down to us and it's fantastic. Ruby HATES the sound of it though and will dart into another room if she sees anybody so much as touch it.

I got one of those Banana catnip toys mentioned a few pages back while we were out today and I cannot wait to take it home to her. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Joburg posted:

Besides the feliway plugin my vet has recommended adding some Rescue Remedy to my nervous cat's food or water once a day. I think it has been helping her somewhat.
Rescue Remedy is 100% bullshit. Your vet is either retarded, or crazy like a fox (if he thinks the cat is picking up your stress and the placebo is calming you down). Or maybe a couple drops of brandy is making your cat chill out, but it's definitely not the homeopathic flower bullshit.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Rescue Remedy is 100% bullshit.

Then what do you suggest?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

effika posted:

Charles Martel posted:

Yep. We got a Shark handed down to us and it's fantastic. Ruby HATES the sound of it though and will dart into another room if she sees anybody so much as touch it.

I've been eying the Shark vacuums a lot lately since Wal-mart has some on sale.

But I did some research and bought a Bissell Cleanview 9595 on Amazon Prime a few days ago for $72 (now $69 :arghfist::( ). This particular model has the highest praise for the lowest price I've seen (and it's just this one for some reason, no other Bissell). But if I hadn't found the Bissell 9595 or had Amazon Prime already, I was going to buy the Shark NV400 for $128.

Some guy on YouTube tested the Bissell 9595 against the Shark Rotator Lift-Away Pro and found that they preform similarly despite the price difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-HWC6HuZw

How well does it do on pet hair and dander? I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 30, 2014

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

drat, my mate's dog had fleas and some of them must've been on his clothes when he stayed over recently cos now I've got them in my house and my indoor cat had a few on him. I've been giving him tablets which are great for killing the adult ones currently biting but I'm struggling to prevent the larvae hatching in the carpet so I keep seeing tiny baby ones despite vacuuming non stop for two days.

I know permethrin is toxic to cats, but if I leave him in the kitchen while I set off foggers in every carpeted room, is he going to be okay? I can't find any foggers that don't contain permethrin that aren't universally poorly reviewed.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

drat, my mate's dog had fleas and some of them must've been on his clothes when he stayed over recently cos now I've got them in my house and my indoor cat had a few on him. I've been giving him tablets which are great for killing the adult ones currently biting but I'm struggling to prevent the larvae hatching in the carpet so I keep seeing tiny baby ones despite vacuuming non stop for two days.

I know permethrin is toxic to cats, but if I leave him in the kitchen while I set off foggers in every carpeted room, is he going to be okay? I can't find any foggers that don't contain permethrin that aren't universally poorly reviewed.

I would try steam cleaning before fogging. I've read that the heat kills the eggs and putting up with a damp carpet would be better than putting toxin in your home.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
That sucks, man. Fleas are annoying and terrible. I don't know if counts as a toxin toward cats, but Borax powder is great to sprinkle down on carpets to eventually kill fleas when combined with vacumning. I had an episode where my dog got them from somewhere a couple of summers ago and I am never going through that again if I have to buy barrels of Frontline.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Don't know if you can even get borax in the UK, never seen it anywhere. My parents have a steam cleaner but I'm not seeing them for another three weeks, ugh, might have to see if I can afford to rent one.

I'll check with the vet about fogging just in case as it's much cheaper to do, combined with vacuuming and the pills for the cat (which is necessary anyway). Already sprayed all the carpets and washed all my clothes and bedding, and will keep doing that daily. At least I'm only seeing tiny ones now, so I guess I'm getting them early before they can lay more eggs.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
My clumsy-rear end fat cat just got discharged from an week of observation at the vets because she FELL OFF THE ROOF from our 8th floor apartment and evidently landed on her left side because she had bleeding in her left lung and swelling in her left eye. The vet said that she made a full recovery with no lasting damage but still is there anything I should do or anything I should keep an eye out for????

pic of the dumbass

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

goatse.cx posted:

My clumsy-rear end fat cat just got discharged from an week of observation at the vets because she FELL OFF THE ROOF from our 8th floor apartment and evidently landed on her left side because she had bleeding in her left lung and swelling in her left eye. The vet said that she made a full recovery with no lasting damage but still is there anything I should do or anything I should keep an eye out for????

pic of the dumbass

How'd she get out there/fall? This is a legitimate fear we have seeing as we're on the 7th with balconies.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Having your cat slowly die on a Sunday night is the worst. She's been given opioids, so she should at least be comfortable.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rand McNally posted:

Having your cat slowly die on a Sunday night is the worst. She's been given opioids, so she should at least be comfortable.

Ugh, gently caress. Sorry for your loss. :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

goatse.cx posted:

still is there anything I should do or anything I should keep an eye out for????

How about keeping an eye out for however she got on the roof in the first place, hth.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Rand McNally posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. One of my outside cats, a HUGE Tom we've had living in our back yard for years got killed by a coyote before today before sunrise. Only one of the two surviving ones has returned so far, but it's the one day a year we get rain in drought-ridden L.A. so hopefully she shows up soon.

Even though he was a stray who moved into our backyard, he was very close to a domesticated indoor cat. He'd walk into our living room in the last couple years and plop down on the floor while we watch TV.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How'd she get out there/fall? This is a legitimate fear we have seeing as we're on the 7th with balconies.

Clawed through the mesh window screen

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Dienes posted:

How about keeping an eye out for however she got on the roof in the first place, hth.

I didnt watch out for it because years of animal planet/discovery channel indoctrination has had me believe that falling from height is basically no big deal for cats.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
:stare:

I watch those channels (and TV in general) only sporadically. What do they say there about cats?

Does that by any chance include such expressions as "The cat fell from the eighth floor and survived. Holy poo poo!"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Allegedly cats are more likely to survive falling 6+ floors than they are under six, because they have time to twist their bodies into a shape where their terminal velocity is greatly reduced.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

supermikhail posted:

:stare:

I watch those channels (and TV in general) only sporadically. What do they say there about cats?

Does that by any chance include such expressions as "The cat fell from the eighth floor and survived. Holy poo poo!"

example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OCwQJSHZM

It was a believable thesis to me: cats possess a 'righting reflex' that allows them to re-orient mid-fall and land on their legs, minimizing damage

my cat evidently didnt manage to re-orient herself, but she got off with basically nothing anyway (recovered in a week, no broken bones) so the thesis is only partially disproven

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with/handle a 8 month old kitten that will eat almost anything? He ate nearly 8 tortillas we accidentally left out last week and I just caught him eating a cloth towel. Pica, maybe? I certainly don't think he's under fed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

For a very long time this looked like a three-legged cat. I mistook a leg for a tail and where I thought a leg should be, there's what looks like a stump

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

goatse.cx posted:

example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OCwQJSHZM

It was a believable thesis to me: cats possess a 'righting reflex' that allows them to re-orient mid-fall and land on their legs, minimizing damage

my cat evidently didnt manage to re-orient herself, but she got off with basically nothing anyway (recovered in a week, no broken bones) so the thesis is only partially disproven

Yeah, I would say she got only minimal injuries, and it doesn't say that after 7 floors they are completely unscathed, or land only on their feet. It says they are harmed less. More importantly, your post sounded like those channels basically advocated cat skydiving as a sport.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

Allegedly cats are more likely to survive falling 6+ floors than they are under six, because they have time to twist their bodies into a shape where their terminal velocity is greatly reduced.

What magical shape would that be? A cat with feet pointing down does not create considerably more drag than a cat falling some other way. It's mostly the distance of the drop and the mass of the cat, but even a short fall can result in broken bones and internal injuries, regardless of whether or not kitty sticks the landing.

Edit basically the more time they fall the faster they are going = more forceful impact to whatever body part hits the ground.

CompactFanny fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 1, 2014

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Apparently there is some truth to cats having special aerial positioning abilities to help them survive falls. It's an inborn skill they have because they evolved living in trees.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17492802

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Small update on the rear end in a top hat rescue kitten that keeps jumping our adult cat: I will still hear thumps and growls from another room followed by the adult running away, however I've now caught the adult instigating it a couple times. It seems like if the kitten is lying on the nice sunny spot on the carpet or some other choice location according to my cat's retard-brain he will go up to the kitten, growl, and smack him hard in the head a couple of times to get him to move. The kitten enthusiastically takes this as on obvious invitation to play fight, and seems confused when the adult growls/hisses again and runs away.

I did get some nail clippers so the damage the kitten can do is at least more limited. Otherwise I'm going to stay the course and let the two figure it out on their own, assuming it doesn't escalate to full on death-matches anytime soon.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Sasha's gone now. I"m okay now but tonight, when I don't have her to snuggle.. yeah. 23.5 of the best years of my life (there weren't that many before that, got her when I was 5). One of the last photos of her was from last weekend.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Rand McNally posted:

Sasha's gone now. I"m okay now but tonight, when I don't have her to snuggle.. yeah. 23.5 of the best years of my life (there weren't that many before that, got her when I was 5). One of the last photos of her was from last weekend.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know from experience that losing a long-term pet is always hard. It's obvious that you loved her and treated her well, which is just about the best kind of life that any house-cat could hope for.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CompactFanny posted:

What magical shape would that be? A cat with feet pointing down does not create considerably more drag than a cat falling some other way. It's mostly the distance of the drop and the mass of the cat, but even a short fall can result in broken bones and internal injuries, regardless of whether or not kitty sticks the landing.

Edit basically the more time they fall the faster they are going = more forceful impact to whatever body part hits the ground.

You could Google it rather than being snarky
http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/how-do-cats-survive-falls-from-great-heights/

It's not exactly proven but heavily theorised. Bit tricky to research it because, you know, chucking cats off buildings has some ethical concerns.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollityFarm
Dec 29, 2011
Rand McNally, I'm sorry for your loss. Sasha looks majestic in her little outfit and I'm sure she had a happy life with you.

Update on the cat who didn't want to go to the kennel:
She looks fine! I think she really doesn't like the cheap canvas carrier, so I'll get her a nice plastic one. Expensive tastes, I guess. She's back to her old weird self, it looks like. Which is a relief.

Here's the little monster snuggling on me two minutes ago. You can still kind of see the scratches from the damage she did to my arm during her drama queen freakout.

Next time I'm hiring an in-house sitter.