Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's causing the oil price crash anyway?

OPEC wanting to kill Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jumpingmanjim posted:

OPEC has been getting some poo poo from the US Shale boom, and from ISIS threatening them, so as a big FU to both they announced that they'd be maintaining their high level of output. This caused the market to correct as it had hedged on OPEC reducing production in the face of the slushy market, in order to keep prices high. The idea that they might try to drive prices down in a sort of reverse-1970's maneuver sent market speculators reeling.

Dreylad posted:

How many decades before we start remembering that farmland - good farmland - in this country is a precious, precarious resource.

With the rate at which climate change is starting to decimate US agriculture, two decades at the most. If you're optimistic.

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 29, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I've heard the entire purpose of "reclamation" is for quick photo ops. It's a nice optic to point towards, and for a lot of people as long as it looks "green" it's a-ok.

This is why I get frustrated when people talk about reclamation and farmland. No, once you scrape off the topsoil for the next subdivision it can't be shipped to the Canadian shield to produce a new food belt.

How many decades before we start remembering that farmland - good farmland - in this country is a precious, precarious resource.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

OPEC has been getting some poo poo from the US Shale boom, and from ISIS threatening them, so as a big FU to both they announced that they'd be maintaining their high level of output. This caused the market to correct as it had hedged on OPEC reducing production in the face of the slushy market, in order to keep prices high. The idea that they might try to drive prices down in a sort of reverse-1970's maneuver sent market speculators reeling.

Yeah places like Saudi Arabia said they would be Ok with oil being at a lower market price due to higher production even though it will gently caress over countries like Iran, Venezuela and Russia.

It will also impact US oil projects like shale oil since low oil price per barrel makes more expensive methods of oil extraction unprofitable.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 29, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
OPEC doesn't give a poo poo about Russia. They're trying to kill north Dakota

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Isn't it also loving over Canada? I thought oil prices had to be over like $80 (or $60? something with an even number in it) for the producers here to be profitable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

Isn't it also loving over Canada? I thought oil prices had to be over like $80 (or $60? something with an even number in it) for the producers here to be profitable.

Canadian capital investment and management is more robust in this respect, it mainly fucks over more costly US oil extraction schemes and also poorer OPEC members who depend on higher price per barrel.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

etalian posted:

Canadian capital investment and management is more robust in this respect, it mainly fucks over more costly US oil extraction schemes and also poorer OPEC members who depend on higher price per barrel.
Oh ok, I thought when this started that was the reason our stock market had a mini hiccup.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Geoid posted:

Reclamation is a total joke. I've done monitoring on some sites: it's basically removing the topsoil then putting turf and a couple of trees on top.

Which then die because the O-horizon of soil has been removed and there's not enough nutrients, and the replaced vegetation is rarely the right native vegetation for the microclimate.

I've been involved in the mining industry for 10 years and unless the regulations have changed a lot in the last year or so this isn't what's supposed to be done, and most mature jurisdictions require appropriate plans to maintain topsoil and local microbial culture. If this isn't the case in Alberta then :laffo:

LemonDrizzle posted:

My understanding is that it can be done effectively but it's non-trivial and not cheap - you have to very carefully select the species you use and continue monitoring the site for years, intervening as and when necessary until you've got a stable self-sustaining ecosystem. The literature I've seen relates to reclamation of former mining areas rather than oil sands, but I don't see why the principles would differ significantly.

Not only that but in most canadian jurisdictions the plan for reclamation has to be filed and funded In advance. I've been to half a dozen successfully reclaimed mine sites. It's definitely achievable.

... I don't know why I even bother posting in this thread. 95% of the people have already made up their mind that anything a corp does is inherently bad and the other 5% are on the fence.

HookShot posted:

Last report I read about it was that most oil sands projects priced in $40 oil, but that was probably 4 years ago so $60 is reasonable now given the relatively steady high prices.

HookShot posted:

Oh ok, I thought when this started that was the reason our stock market had a mini hiccup.

It definitely contributes - our market is highly oil weighted, but that doesn't mean the companies are going broke. It just means they lost about a third of their profit margins which will definitely haircut valuations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Reclamation can make sites look nice but when you go in and look at the plant, animal and microbial diversity it reveals itself as superficial and not resilient. You can reclaim land but it would be a century or more before it is restored (depending on proximity to equator and the size/isolation of the reclaimed land).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

Well lots of oil companies like Chevron or Suncor had a 5%-10% dip in stock prices after the OPEC news.

In general though oil companies pretty much expect fluctuations in prices over time like any big name commodity and try to keep a robust rainy day balance sheet as a result.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

cowofwar posted:

Reclamation can make sites look nice but when you go in and look at the plant, animal and microbial diversity it reveals itself as superficial and not resilient. You can reclaim land but it would be a century or more before it is restored (depending on proximity to equator and the size/isolation of the reclaimed land).

Most mine sites are relatively small in area (even big open pits) so assuming reclamation is done properly and selenium and other poo poo not allowed to leach, biodiversity comes back pretty quickly.

The tar sands, on the other hand, disturb massive swathes of highly complex peat bog that will never return to its natural state. Not to mention Alberta is destroying its water reservoirs which will eventually gently caress not only most northern communities but also the city of Edmonton.

No one gives a poo poo

Buskas fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 29, 2014

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?
I pray for a sustained oil price collapse that pushes Canada into recession and pops the housing bubble. Goooooooooooo OPEC!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Buskas posted:

The tar sands, on the other hand, disturb massive swathes of highly complex peat bog that will never return to its natural state. Not to mention Alberta is destroying its water reservoirs which will eventually gently caress not only most northern communities but also the city of Edmonton.

No one gives a poo poo
Although I'm not exactly a fan of the way the tar sands have been developed, northern Alberta is watered by several large rivers and not groundwater. The oil industry pollutes the hell out of the Athabasca (and, presumably, the Slave and MacKenzie rivers as well), but it is downstream of essentially all agriculture and most population.

Edmonton is in a completely separate watershed. There isn't any oil development upstream of Edmonton on the North Saskatchewan.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Buskas posted:

I pray for a sustained oil price collapse that pushes Canada into recession and pops the housing bubble. Goooooooooooo OPEC!

If Canada lets its currency fall significantly, it would provide a nice exit for homeowners, albeit in the form of a inflationary flat tax on everyone who earns money and lives in Canada. This would coincidentally excuse the Chinese earning money overseas from paying for any of the costs of the bubble.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buskas posted:

For Alberta oil revenues make a 1/3 of total budget.

lol

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/28/us-markets-oil-idUSKCN0JC1LO20141128

quote:

Russia's most powerful oil official Igor Sechin said oil prices could hit $60 or below by the end of the first half of next year. Options market data show speculators betting on $65 Brent by early next year.

Goldman Sachs said $60 Brent oil was possible but not sustainable and that WTI in a $70-$75 range could prompt U.S. producers to reduce capital expenditure, or drilling. For next year, BNP Paribas cuts its Brent forecast by $20 to $77, and WTI by $18 to $70.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What the others said is true but it's not what is happening on an emotional level.

The oil price crash is Saudi Arabia taking its ball and going home.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Last report I read about it was that most oil sands projects priced in $40 oil, but that was probably 4 years ago so $60 is reasonable now given the relatively steady high prices.

I swear there was a post in this thread or the Canadian politics thread that had a projection from one of the oil companies in Canada. The projection said they were assuming the oil prices were going to rise to $120 or so and they were basing all of their exploitation on that. I wish I could find it so I can see if I remember correctly.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Terebus posted:

I swear there was a post in this thread or the Canadian politics thread that had a projection from one of the oil companies in Canada. The projection said they were assuming the oil prices were going to rise to $120 or so and they were basing all of their exploitation on that. I wish I could find it so I can see if I remember correctly.

That was me, I think it was in the old CanPol thread around September.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Albino Squirrel posted:

Although I'm not exactly a fan of the way the tar sands have been developed, northern Alberta is watered by several large rivers and not groundwater. The oil industry pollutes the hell out of the Athabasca (and, presumably, the Slave and MacKenzie rivers as well), but it is downstream of essentially all agriculture and most population.

Edmonton is in a completely separate watershed. There isn't any oil development upstream of Edmonton on the North Saskatchewan.

lol if you think the depletion of Alberta's aquifers doesn't have a knock-on effect on its river systems. These things do not exist exclusively of one another.

Also lol if you think SAG-D and other tar sands operations in Eastern Alberta aren't using massive quantities of water from the North Saskatchewan system

Alberta is a dry province that relies on the replenishment of its groundwater to sustain life and if tar sands development continues at its current pace there will be major, pervasive water issues because neither the Athabasca nor the North Saskatchewan transport nearly enough water from the Rockies on an annual basis to come anywhere near being able to both supply human needs and gargantuan industrial operations. Alberta is draining its water resources without really understanding or caring about the consequences.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is that like an Albertan thing? Consequences be damned, that oil HAS to flow and any criticism about oil is nobody else's business and is a personal attack on every Albertan...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Is that like an Albertan thing? Consequences be damned, that oil HAS to flow and any criticism about oil is nobody else's business and is a personal attack on every Albertan...

They're just prioritising the problems of today over the water supply of the future, a mistake humanity literally has been doing since we first started building civilisations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Terebus posted:

Well energy companies in general pretty much know it's a commodity which will fluctuate naturally over time. The whole Saudi OPEC decision will basically torpedo more costly projects in the west and also probably wreck low cap oil companies who don't have big rainy day reserves. For shale oil extraction the break even point is $60 per barrel.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

cowofwar posted:

A century, in the grand scheme of things, is literally irrelevant, in spite of being longer than an average human lifespan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/the-foundations-of-canadian-housing-are-still-solid/article21832139/

quote:

High household debt levels are not totally consequence-free, but nor do they guarantee doom. It is commonly imagined that Canadian debt levels have ascended to unprecedented and perhaps unsustainable heights. In reality, several other countries survive with far more leverage, including Denmark, whose households have twice the Canadian debt burden.

quote:

So far, there has been little evidence of encroaching darkness. Home prices rise within a comfortable range of 1 to 6 per cent a year. Household debt-servicing costs are at a multi-decade low and mortgage arrears are low and declining. Affordability is surprisingly normal as plummeting mortgage rates and rising incomes neutralize soaring home prices. Demand seems well aligned with construction and the resale market remains balanced.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-06/world-s-highest-household-debt-burden-probed-by-danish-council.html

quote:

Danish households owe their creditors 321 percent of disposable incomes, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. That’s the highest ratio in the world and a level that’s prompted warnings from both the OECD and the International Monetary Fund to rein in borrowing. Danish authorities have argued that households aren’t at risk thanks to high pension and household equity levels.

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21600994-denmarks-property-market-built-rickety-foundations-something-rotten

quote:

Gregory Perdon of Arbuthnot Latham, a British private bank, believes that Danish households are living on borrowed time. Thanks to the prevalence of interest-only loans, Danes are paying down their mortgages at a rate of only 2% a year on average. When the interest-only periods end (typically ten years into the loan), their monthly payments will rise sharply. Some will not be able to afford them: the recovery has been weak, and employment has fallen in recent years. Refinancing is an option for many, but not for the most precarious borrowers, due to legal restrictions on loans of more than 80% of a property’s value.

Danes are not short of money, but much of it is tied up in illiquid houses and untouchable pension pots. That leaves them short of liquid assets, in the IMF’s view. If Danes are obliged to pay down their debts by dumping their houses as their mortgage payments go up, the downward pressure on prices could set off an ugly chain reaction. As it is, prices are stagnating, having fallen briefly during the crisis, and loan-to-value ratios are high.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Rising incomes? :laffo: This is Canada we're talking about.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I love how they always talk about equity as if it makes up for not having actual liquid assets or even additional monthly income.

Not to mention the whole false hopes that bubbles can go on and on forever without getting popped.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?
Well you see lovely European country X did a thing therefore Canada is not bubble...

What an rear end in a top hat.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buskas posted:

Well you see lovely European country X did a thing therefore Canada is not bubble...

What an rear end in a top hat.

300% debt loading and no bubble problems

:smugbird:

Sweden is also in a similar bubble due to US style US estate speculation combined with cheap credit goodness.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's with all these canadian ivy league rear end in a top hat economists? First tsur sommerville now this motherfucker.

* draws straight line between two points

e: how did i forget joe oliver

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 30, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle21779480/

quote:

Stephen Harper and his Conservatives expend a large amount of political energy on measures intended to save consumers a few bucks on mobile phone charges or unbundled cable TV channels. Oddly enough, though, they seem largely content to stand by and watch as Canadians grapple with ever rising home prices.

It’s not difficult to explain this apparent discrepancy if you look at the politics of the situation. Few Canadians own giant telecom businesses; many own homes. Therefore measures to rein in wireless and cable companies are vote-getters, while any moves by Ottawa to tamp down home prices are ballot-box poison.

But shouldn’t we expect a bit more from the stewards of our national economy than just politics as usual? Canada’s red-hot housing market has passed the point where anyone should see it as an economic positive.

You wouldn’t know this, of course, if you merely read this week’s assessment of the national housing market from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. It assures us that while real estate prices may demonstrate a “modest” degree of overvaluation, home values are not in bubble territory and that the risk of a downturn is small.

Really? The International Monetary Fund’s Global Housing Watch reckons that Canada is among the most expensive markets in the world based on fundamentals such as home prices in comparison to rents and income. There’s also the disturbing fact that home prices in after-inflation terms have more than doubled since 1980.

One problem with the trend to pricier homes is generational inequity: Young people must now pay far more, in real terms, for a house than their parents did. As a result, millennials have much reduced capacity to save for other things, such as retirement. Considering that most people in their 20s and 30s don’t enjoy the same pension benefits as their parents, this hardly seems fair.

Even more worrisome is the long-term economic hangover that could result from today’s high home prices. Tim Harford, a British economist, notes that buying a house during the high-inflation years of the 1970s and 1980s used to begin with five years of scrambling to make dauntingly large mortgage payments. Once you reached that point, however, inflation would have whittled down the real cost of your mortgage by a dramatic amount, leaving most home owners with the financial leeway to pursue other goals.

Today the situation is reversed. Low interest rates make mortgages seem very affordable at first. But since inflation is also low, the real cost of your mortgage declines only slowly. The upshot is that current home buyers are likely to find themselves still scrimping a decade or more from now. This is not good news for an economy that depends heavily on consumer spending.

A housing boom can also hurt in other ways. Three U.S. economists – Indraneel Chakraborty, Itay Goldstein and Andrew MacKinlay – published a paper this fall that finds banks tend to cut back on commercial lending in strong housing markets as they focus on mortgage lending. Rather than being a spur to the economy, policies that support the housing market can actually wind up restraining growth.

Many Canadians like to attribute rising home prices to population growth or to buyers’ sudden discovery of the particular beauty of their neighbourhood. By and large, though, those lines of logic simply don’t hold up. Canada’s population has expanded at roughly the same pace for decades. Rather than occurring only in especially attractive areas, the increases in home prices have been felt in many cities, in multiple regions.

Canada’s housing boom seems, in fact, to fit perfectly in line with the pattern outlined in a new study by Katharina Knoll, Moritz Schularick and Thomas Steger. The three German economists tracked house prices in 14 advanced economies since 1870 and discovered what they call a hockey-stick pattern.

Home prices were largely flat until 1950 or so, then began to climb at a slightly faster pace. Some time in the mid-1990s, prices hit the accelerator and rocketed to unprecedented levels. Home prices across much of the developed world surged far faster than incomes.

There are many possible explanations. Rising transportation costs and increased zoning regulations may have reduced the supply of attractive land; easier borrowing conditions probably fuelled demand for mortgages.

But it’s hard to miss the fact that rising home prices have also been accompanied by sluggish economic growth and financial crisis. It’s time for Ottawa, as well as other national governments, to ask why rising home prices don’t deserve the same concerted attention as expensive wireless charges or exorbitant cable-TV fees.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 30, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cultural Imperial posted:

Today the situation is reversed. Low interest rates make mortgages seem very affordable at first. But since inflation is also low, the real cost of your mortgage declines only slowly. The upshot is that current home buyers are likely to find themselves still scrimping a decade or more from now. This is not good news for an economy that depends heavily on consumer spending.

This isn't necessarily true as long as we remain in a low interest rate/high house price inflation environment because you accumulate significant equity due to price inflation over time, meaning that you can regularly remortgage to lower rates as your LTV decreases. A lot of borrowers would have problems if we suddenly reverted to a moderate or high interest rate environment with low house price inflation, but I'm not sure that's at all likely to happen in the short-medium term.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

This isn't necessarily true as long as we remain in a low interest rate/high house price inflation environment because you accumulate significant equity due to price inflation over time, meaning that you can regularly remortgage to lower rates as your LTV decreases. A lot of borrowers would have problems if we suddenly reverted to a moderate or high interest rate environment with low house price inflation, but I'm not sure that's at all likely to happen in the short-medium term.

Ok but what about this take?

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/66189a7a-6f76-11e4-b50f-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=intl#ixzz3Jy6rz3Bj

quote:

As a sample of the madness, consider the popular concept of “affordability”. This idea is pushed by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority and seems simple common sense: affordability asks whether potential buyers have enough income to meet their mortgage repayments. That question is reasonable, of course – but it is only a first step, because it ignores inflation.

To see the problem, contrast today’s low-inflation economies with the high inflation of the 1970s and 1980s. Back then, paying off your mortgage was a sprint: a few years during which prices and wages were increasing in double digits, while you struggled with mortgage rates of 10 per cent and more. After five years of that, inflation had eroded the value of the debt and mortgage repayments shrank dramatically in real terms.

Today, a mortgage is a marathon. Interest rates are low, so repayments seem affordable. Yet with inflation low and wages stagnant, they’ll never become more affordable. Low inflation means that a 30-year mortgage really is a 30-year mortgage rather than five years of hell followed by an extended payment holiday. The previous generation’s rules of thumb no longer apply.

If you want to read the whole article, I've got a subscription so let me know.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 30, 2014

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

sbaldrick posted:

Know and tube wiring is grandfathered, your local electrical authority will come out and check it for free and provided it's in good shape will pass the house. Basically telling insurance companies that it's safe provided you file the paperwork.

A lot of insurance places will also give you a bridge at a slightly higher rate for three months or so in order for you to get the K&T out of the walls.

For whomever was paying the $5000 for insurance, find out how much it is to get it all removed*. It is probably in the neighbourhood of $8000 to have someone drop in new Romex, which could translate to savings in four or five years. It also makes the house much more sellable.

I'm a big advocate of DIY, but fishing all that wire through the walls is a lovely way to get some handyman cred. If you were planning to gut the place anyway, then it pays off to do it yourself. Especially as a home old enough to have K&T probably has outdated insulation too. You can get that rebated plus the heating savings over the years. More and better outlets around the house too, but it is a huge heap of work.

* It doesn't really get removed, just deactivated.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How does it negative gearing work in Canada? Are there a lot of people using it to speculate in property?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically real estate speculation leads to dutch disease over the long run since things like small businesses get starved for credit.

Why provide a small business loan, when you can just go after a more lucrative CMHC backed mortgage?

quote:

A housing boom can also hurt in other ways. Three U.S. economists – Indraneel Chakraborty, Itay Goldstein and Andrew MacKinlay – published a paper this fall that finds banks tend to cut back on commercial lending in strong housing markets as they focus on mortgage lending. Rather than being a spur to the economy, policies that support the housing market can actually wind up restraining growth.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

LemonDrizzle posted:

This isn't necessarily true as long as we remain in a low interest rate/high house price inflation environment because you accumulate significant equity due to price inflation over time, meaning that you can regularly remortgage to lower rates as your LTV decreases.

But that environment is clearly unsustainable even over short time periods being that its an economic bubble while housing is multi decade debt so that isn't a viable or even reasonable 'investment' strategy.

Plenty of people tried to do exactly what you're talking about during the US bubble BTW. It even became widespread 'investor' knowledge spread by RE agents and lenders to refi your troubles away. That panned out for almost no one. Even the ones where it did sorta pan out due to HAMP/HARP the people were able to keep the house but were 'house poor' with a modified loan that they could only just barely afford and was now a full recourse loan.

LemonDrizzle posted:

A lot of borrowers would have problems if we suddenly reverted to a moderate or high interest rate environment with low house price inflation, but I'm not sure that's at all likely to happen in the short-medium term.
You don't need a moderate to high interest (~5% is the historical avg, so 7-10% would be moderate to high though in the 80's it got into the 20's so this is all relative) rate to put a lot of people in default with a debt fueled bubble. Even a return to the historical avg. would easily cause widespread default. Given that homes are multi decade loans for most its reasonable to assume rates will at least get that high at some point over a short-medium time frame. Remember rates were around or above 5% back in 2008 or so. That is not that long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

But that environment is clearly unsustainable even over short time periods being that its an economic bubble while housing is multi decade debt so that isn't a viable or even reasonable 'investment' strategy.

Plenty of people tried to do exactly what you're talking about during the US bubble BTW. It even became widespread 'investor' knowledge spread by RE agents and lenders to refi your troubles away. That panned out for almost no one. Even the ones where it did sorta pan out due to HAMP/HARP the people were able to keep the house but were 'house poor' with a modified loan that they could only just barely afford and was now a full recourse loan.

You don't need a moderate to high interest (~5% is the historical avg, so 7-10% would be moderate to high though in the 80's it got into the 20's so this is all relative) rate to put a lot of people in default with a debt fueled bubble. Even a return to the historical avg. would easily cause widespread default. Given that homes are multi decade loans for most its reasonable to assume rates will at least get that high at some point over a short-medium time frame. Remember rates were around or above 5% back in 2008 or so. That is not that long ago.

For the Danish example there are also more stringent requirements for Loan to value, meaning eventually you couldn't just refi your problems away especially if clever homeowner is doing the home HELOC piggy bank thing too.