Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You're right, Drive was a good movie. And Hotline Miami was a good game as well.

I like quality things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I just like bright colors in my games, because last generation gave me enough brown games to last a lifetime.

Content: UT2k4 has the announcer go "HOLY poo poo" if you turn all the settings up to max. I felt so cool when I finally had a computer that could do that and still play the game at a playable framerate.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Calaveron posted:

My point is that I wish more games would start mining the 80's for their aesthetics instead of using the cliched near future dystopia they're always using.

There's a limited quantity of stuff to mine and that's why what you're talking about is essentially just goofy cyberpunk and smaller more concentrated games like Hotline: Miami, it worked in Vice City because it used the era and didn't just make a game with an 80s aesthetic painted over it but a game with an 80s setting, there's a stark difference.
Also, Blood Dragon got supremely tired after a few hours, that's why it was such a short one-off game in the first place, there's only so much you can do with that gimmick and there's only so much of that gimmick the average person can tolerate.
The whole idea of that 80s pop look is excess and neon, it's obnoxious by design, and like anything else of that nature it's either only digestible in small amounts or used to illustrate certain scenes, or you base your entire project on it and create a game that can only be stomached for short periods of time.

Even Drive is only half-way inspired through Michael Mann rip-off in both theme and visual style, like some pastiche of Thief and Manhunter, and doesn't entirely douse itself in the crap.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Rockstar needs to study the first scene from Drive and base their Wanted system off of it in the next GTA game. I felt like they got partway there in GTA5.

Also it would be cool to stomp someone's face in while inside an elevator.

I just want Rockstar to make Drive: The Game.

EDIT: Imagine driving to a clothing store in game and shopping for scorpion jackets and different stuntman masks.

poonchasta has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Nov 30, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

poonchasta posted:

Rockstar needs to study the first scene from Drive and base their Wanted system off of it in the next GTA game. I felt like they got partway there in GTA5.

Also it would be cool to stomp someone's face in while inside an elevator.

I just want Rockstar to make Drive: The Game.

EDIT: Imagine driving to a clothing store in game and shopping for scorpion jackets and different stuntman masks.

The modding community will help with that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
From a few pages back:

Jerusalem posted:

That's the only ending I haven't seen, but I like that despite Bioware's passive-aggressive "well gently caress you too, buddy!" response, that IS a perfectly viable way to end the game, as you'll then be shown that the next cycle of life finds all the data Liara put together on what you discovered re: the Reapers and THEY find a way to defeat them.

I love that passive aggressiveness, but not the way you took it: Shep personally commits 4(ish) major races and multiple lesser ones to extinction because of his cowardly refusal. The folks of the Next Cycle evolve gonads* and pick one of the options to actually defeat the Reapers.

* My phone wanted to autocorrect this word to "gonadotropin". :wtc:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MisterBibs posted:

Someone's making a killing out there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

I love that passive aggressiveness, but not the way you took it: Shep personally commits 4(ish) major races and multiple lesser ones to extinction because of his cowardly refusal. The folks of the Next Cycle evolve gonads* and pick one of the options to actually defeat the Reapers.

The funniest thing about that is that Liara's message outright said the Crucible doesn't work, so the next generation build it anyway.

ME3 had such lovely writing.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

poonchasta posted:

You're in luck! Here's a video showing the jacket, the mask shop is at the beach there are tons to choose from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThhh3gu-aQ

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

poonchasta posted:

So, San Andreas. :smug:

MK Velocity
Nov 30, 2014

I had my molar knocked out by a dildo bazooka.
I always appreciated how The Simpsons: Hit and Run let you skip a mission after royally loving it up a dozen times. It's nice when games take pity on your stupidity.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I picked up the Diablo 3 expansion on a lark because it was on sale for 50% off, and continued on in my main game. I think I tripped over the hidden level. :stare:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sardonik posted:

I picked up the Diablo 3 expansion on a lark because it was on sale for 50% off, and continued on in my main game. I think I tripped over the hidden level. :stare:

The story behind that level is the best. They released some screenshots before Diablo 3 came out and in one it had a waterfall and because of the water spray there was a rainbow effect. A bunch of nerds got mad because "RAINBOWS IN DIABLO YOU'RE RUINING IT!" so they just went whole hog and made that level to troll the hell out of them.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Sardonik posted:

Isn't that level full of pastel pony enemies?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sardonik posted:

You'll see that level every few hours in the expansion's postgame content (it was in the original game, through a ludicrous series of secret events). There's another secret level that I've only seen once after playing 100+ hours (the goblin vault) and an even more secret level that I only learned about by looking up achievements I haven't gotten yet (the cow level). The two secret levels I spoilered even have unique bosses.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Twitch posted:

You'll see that level every few hours in the expansion's postgame content (it was in the original game, through a ludicrous series of secret events).

I don't know if it plays before the expansion version of the level, but the dialogue with the Ghost of the Cow King is mandatory viewing material.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The whole "neon underground" thing is basically steampunk for people who think they're too cool for steampunk.

But steampunk was created by ultra-dorks as a malformed cargo cult version of cyberpunk?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

But steampunk was created by ultra-dorks as a malformed cargo cult version of cyberpunk?

The name was a joke reference to cyberpunk, that's the limit of the connection (and the joke only happened because cyberpunk was really big when it started). It's more "hey guys wasn't HG Wells really cool? Let's do that forever."

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

icantfindaname posted:

That'd be kind of hard considering that some of the earliest books/stories that influenced Steampunk were written by cyberpunk authors. The guy who coined the term "steampunk" wrote both. Then, like literally every genre that has ever existed, the fandom hosed it up.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Idran posted:

The name was a joke reference to cyberpunk, that's the limit of the connection (and the joke only happened because cyberpunk was really big when it started). It's more "hey guys wasn't HG Wells really cool? Let's do that forever."

I wouldn't say that's the limit of the connection. Both are punk in that they 'punk' society, or are supposed to, and use fantastical extrapolations of a certain type of technology to explore the effects it would have on civilization and people and stuff. At least, that's what cyberpunk does. I can't think of any steampunk I've read, hell, I don't know if there's anything actually good out there, and I can't think of any way it could tackle the 'hard' questions that cyberpunk does such as the nature of humanity, consciousness, etc, but I suppose it's possible.

e:

I just googled and I have read some of the classics like Wells and Shelley, but I never really considered those steampunk in its contemporary form. I should give Gibson and Stephenson's steampunk novels a try out of curiosity because I did like their cyberpunk work.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Dec 1, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Taeke posted:

I can't think of any way it could tackle the 'hard' questions that cyberpunk does such as the nature of humanity, consciousness, etc, but I suppose it's possible.

Is any of this real? What if we're all cogs in a machine? Jayden mused to himself as he watched Brianne toy with her brass spyglass.

"Jayden," she said, "when I look through this spyglass, does everything I'm not looking at really exist?" Brianne was staring at Clockwork City, glistening in the distance.

Jayden took a sip of tea from his brass teacup. "M'lady, I certainly hope I continue to exist, even if your countenance doesn't face my direction." He tipped his brass fedora.

"Oh, Jayden, let's get in our brass clockwork contraption vehicle and drive to Clockwork City!"

"But Brianne, if you stop looking at it, it won't exist."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover game, it's super handy that the exploration menu now tells you how many hidden puzzles and hint coins are in each zone (and indicates how many of them you've found).

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
In GTA V I got in a very protracted shootout. I popped a cop in the thigh and I hear "OH YOU FUCKER!" and he falls over, the cops aren't approaching yet but this one guy is laying by himself. A cop leaves cover, grabs the guy by his armpits and pulls him back behind a car.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

In GTA V I got in a very protracted shootout. I popped a cop in the thigh and I hear "OH YOU FUCKER!" and he falls over, the cops aren't approaching yet but this one guy is laying by himself. A cop leaves cover, grabs the guy by his armpits and pulls him back behind a car.

Police start using hand signals to communicate at 4 and 5 star levels, the NOOSE guys do at least.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

That'd be kind of hard considering that some of the earliest books/stories that influenced Steampunk were written by cyberpunk authors. The guy who coined the term "steampunk" wrote both. Then, like literally every genre that has ever existed, the fandom hosed it up.

Yeah, it's legitimately difficult to read The Difference Engine and imagine what grew out of it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wasn't Jules Vern the father of steampunk, though that term wasn't coined at the time? Or at least he planted the seed, or something. Never really looked into it, but I've heard his name come up often in discussions about it.

Anyway, I've been playing Persona Q, and though ostensibly it is Etrian Odyssey with a Persona coating, it does a lot of new little things to help the players. One of the things I'm most appreciative of is notifying you if you're about to enter a dungeon without a Goho-M, an item that allows you to teleport back to 'town', incredibly useful when you're a few levels deep and pretty certain you can't survive the trip back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

Wasn't Jules Vern the father of steampunk, though that term wasn't coined at the time? Or at least he planted the seed, or something. Never really looked into it, but I've heard his name come up often in discussions about it.

Jules Verne was a contemporary of the stuff that steampunk is a retro throwback to, so he doesn't really count. Steampunk as a describable, cohesive movement didn't really exist until the late 20th century.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

Jules Verne was a contemporary of the stuff that steampunk is a retro throwback to, so he doesn't really count. Steampunk as a describable, cohesive movement didn't really exist until the late 20th century.

This. I mean, in hindsight it fits the name, the difference being that steampunk looks backwards whereas he looked forwards, so he pretty much just wrote sci-fi.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Morpheus posted:

Goho-M, an item that allows you to teleport back to 'town'

As a fan of puns, I like this.

I also love Lego Batman 3. As far as little things in it, you can play as Adam West Batman in a hidden level. Everything you punch gets the onscreen onomatopoeia and a trumpet sting. After completing the level, you unlock that Batman and find out it isn't unique to that stage; he just does that when fighting. Additionally, his "detective vision" is pulling out a magnifying glass, which causes the screen transition from the show to play. He also gets an explosive, which is pulling out the bomb from the movie and holding it above his head. I honestly could just go on about 60s Batman and Adam West in this game.

I love all the Batman variations that appear: Dark Night Returns Batman (who is huge and beefy like Solomon Grundy, Doomsday, and Venom Bane), Sinestro Corps Batman, Batman of Zur En Arrh, Zebra suit Batman, Azrael Batman... And I don't even have all the characters.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

maou shoujo posted:

Isn't that level full of pastel pony enemies?

Yes, with amazing, amazing death animations. :stare:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Colressa posted:

I always appreciated how The Simpsons: Hit and Run let you skip a mission after royally loving it up a dozen times. It's nice when games take pity on your stupidity.

Red Dead Redemption and GTA V lets you skip ahead if you fail a section of a mission three or more times I believe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sardonik posted:

Oh my God that minimap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mrkillboy posted:

Red Dead Redemption and GTA V lets you skip ahead if you fail a section of a mission three or more times I believe.

Same with the action scenes in LA Noir

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mrkillboy posted:

I loved how Saints Row handled it from 2 on where levels have distinct checkpoints and when you die you can immediately resume from said checkpoints without having to travel back to the mission marker and start the whole thing all over again having lost all the weapons you earned until that point.

What's even funnier is that during the development of GTA IV they were aware of complaints of having to do that bit of tedium every time you failed a mission, and their response was to keep all those systems intact but make it so that now when you replayed missions they used differtent dialogue takes so it would be slightly less mind-numbing :downsowned:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What's even funnier is that during the development of GTA IV they were aware of complaints of having to do that bit of tedium every time you failed a mission, and their response was to keep all those systems intact but make it so that now when you replayed missions they used differtent dialogue takes so it would be slightly less mind-numbing :downsowned:

Even better, on several missions if you failed 2-3 times and exhausted the alternate dialogues, the characters would just say something like "just loving drive!" and remain silent the rest of the way.

It was still archaic gameplay-wise, but at least it was funny about it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved how Saints Row handled it from 2 on where levels have distinct checkpoints and when you die you can immediately resume from said checkpoints without having to travel back to the mission marker and start the whole thing all over again having lost all the weapons you earned until that point.

It's such a simple and good design in Saints Row 2 and beyond that you almost would think that games had been doing it for years, having checkpoints mid-mission/stage. Oh wait...
Goddamn some missions in GTA IV were slogs. I don't know how many goddamn tries the bank heist took because something would always go the gently caress wrong at the end.

Edit: In Dragon Age: Inquisition there's an enemy called "Ironically, Spiders." I don't know if this is more amusing with or without context.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Dec 2, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

...of SCIENCE! posted:

At least V has them now. I don't know how far I would be in the game if I had to do every mission over from the beginning, but it would not be nearly as far as I am now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

rear end Creed: Black Flag

I'm not entirely sold on the combat system, but getting the mighty boot as a part of your combo is pretty neat. I'd rather have had a dedicated button, but having Edward kick people off of wherever is a lot of fun.

The new parkour system is a bit overtly smooth, but it's nice that Edward start with all the standard tricks and you can climb hella high fairly easily.

People no longer automatically die when they hit the water, so you don't fear losing your allies whenever you're near a puddle.

Since you can no longer just casually kill civilians with a swordswipe, you have to come up with some interesting tricks. In related news - people can climb up on piers and suchlike when tossed into water, but they haven't figured out how to wade onto beaches. Push a fisherman into the water several times, and he'll swim till he drowns.

I can finally grab rifles dropped by guard and snipe people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGkD-7zyxY

Taeke posted:

I wouldn't say that's the limit of the connection. Both are punk in that they 'punk' society, or are supposed to, and use fantastical extrapolations of a certain type of technology to explore the effects it would have on civilization and people and stuff. At least, that's what cyberpunk does. I can't think of any steampunk I've read, hell, I don't know if there's anything actually good out there, and I can't think of any way it could tackle the 'hard' questions that cyberpunk does such as the nature of humanity, consciousness, etc, but I suppose it's possible.

e:

I just googled and I have read some of the classics like Wells and Shelley, but I never really considered those steampunk in its contemporary form. I should give Gibson and Stephenson's steampunk novels a try out of curiosity because I did like their cyberpunk work.
To bring this back on topic, Thief and Arcanum do riffs on class, technology and the effects of the industrial revolution.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Dec 2, 2014

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

I'm doing a ghost/nokill run of Dishonoured at the moment, and even though I'm almost at the Lord Regent, there are still no wanted posters up. They haven't noticed anything's wrong yet.

Also, your sword gets bloodstained if you kill anyone - my high chaos run had a grody dull red sword from killing pretty much everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I picked up Sleeping Dogs again to play some dlc and I noticed that if you hang around the areas you've previously had massive fights at such as Club Bam-Bam there will be people talking about what happened but exaggerating or getting details wrong.

Eg: I heard he beat up ten guys by himself/I heard it was no less than fifteen/I heard it was twenty six if you only count the upstairs.