Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I liked the legacy of the force comics. Dark horse was even doing a sequel with a long decendant of the Solos, but it ended early with marvel getting the license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh god, did he claim he wasn't eating your food, but would constantly leave the cheese out after cutting it so you had crusty cheese you had to shave?

he gaslit me about how many cokes were left in the fridge almost constantly

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

FordPRefectLL posted:

he gaslit me about how many cokes were left in the fridge almost constantly

this legit seems like something Han Solo would do. glib fucker

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
"whats a star wars EU... wait i am 100% positive i dont want to know and nothing good will come of knowing it"

- my brain

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

1gnoirents posted:

"whats a star wars EU... wait i am 100% positive i dont want to know and nothing good will come of knowing it"

- my brain

none of it exist anymore technically so who cares.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1gnoirents posted:

- my brain

I had no idea that there are still people infected with forums cancer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Chomp8645 posted:

i dont know if you know this or not but there is no cure for cancer

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Chomp8645 posted:

some people deserve cancer :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RFC2324 posted:

some people deserve cancer :shrug:

do people get cancer in star wars

surely some EU writer snuck it in somewhere to add grittiness to his dark jedi novels

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp

Wolfsheim posted:

do people get cancer in star wars

surely some EU writer snuck it in somewhere to add grittiness to his dark jedi novels

ya and asthma and spleen-rot and "Balding Sickness" and all other sorts of dumb crap

Force headache posted:

A Force headache was a strange condition that affected the Sith Lord Odion in which all life sensed through the Force caused agonizing headaches. Odion experienced the pain like bright lights in his head, but found he could alleviate the pain, by extinguishing the lights, in the form of killing those around him.

migraines, but space migraines

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Robot Jelly posted:

ya and asthma and spleen-rot and "Balding Sickness" and all other sorts of dumb crap

there will never be a more retarded star wars eu sickness than tarkins disease

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The only star wars character I ever roleplayed was a guardian jedi (if I'm remembering the term right, this was the 3.0 Star Wars rpg basically) Twi'lek named Adkov Mur, which is Vodka Rum backwards

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

The only star wars character I ever roleplayed was a guardian jedi (if I'm remembering the term right, this was the 3.0 Star Wars rpg basically) Twi'lek named Adkov Mur, which is Vodka Rum backwards

it's a good star-warsy name.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also do they even need to call it "the new republic?" The Republic existed for like, 10,000 years or more, and then went away for like, less than 25 years, and then it came back. Any senators not rubbed out by Palpatine should still be alive, assuming rich people in Star Wars can afford life-extending medical care. This empire be a tiny little footnote in galactic legislative history, with many people on outer planets barely even noticing any change.

"This one time a senator got supreme executive power and instituted some government-wide uniform redesigns. Then he died and everything went back to normal."

e: "Oh also he tried to stop having the government of the entire galactic government, responsible for trillions of people, from being so intwined with and beholden to the opinions of some weird order of monks with magic powers and a propensity to go insane and do stupidly evil things.

It was pretty clear that in Ep 4 they wanted the old republic to have been around at least 50 years prior but that went out the window with the retcon of Vader being Luke's father

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Star Wars 1313 (that Uncharted clone) was probably the most interested I've been in the Star Wars universe, but then Disney canceled it and shuttered LucasArts :lol:

I watched the first 2-3 seasons of the CO Clone Wars series. It had a few good episodes, and it actually managed to make Anakin Skywalker an interesting character instead of a petulant, spergy manchild.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 30, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/John_Lithgow

wanna meet that Yoda

PatTwo posted:

Were there any goons or goony-like poo poo before Star Wars? I feel like Star Wars started all the problems the Internet eventually became known for.

Science fiction conventions have been a thing since the 1930s. If anything Star Wars made the sci-fi scene slightly less :spergin: because when it came out the pulp adventure of HG Wells and John Carter of Mars and old Republic serials had given away to the self-serious :techno: and :lsd: of Asimov and Star Trek and Star Wars helped tip the balance in the other direction.

To this day the people in the really super goony upper echelons of sci-fi fandom will start sputtering if you call Star Wars "sci-fi" because it's actually science fantasy :jerkbag:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Star Wars 1313 (that Uncharted clone) was probably the most interested I've been in the Star Wars universe, but then Disney canceled it and shuttered LucasArts :lol:

1313 looked hilariously bad. They were trying so hard to make Star Wars be gritty and dark, one of the promo pieces they released was a bunch of homeless people gathered around a trashcan fire only the trashcan was a droid :laffo:

LucasArts getting shuttered is a blessing because they've been poo poo for almost two decades now, every good Star Wars game has been made by 3rd-party developer like Obsidian or Pandemic

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

1313 looked hilariously bad. They were trying so hard to make Star Wars be gritty and dark, one of the promo pieces they released was a bunch of homeless people gathered around a trashcan fire only the trashcan was a droid :laffo:

LucasArts getting shuttered is a blessing because they've been poo poo for almost two decades now, every good Star Wars game has been made by 3rd-party developer like Obsidian or Pandemic

Meh. They were definitely cranking up the grittiness, but it looked interesting because you weren't a Jedi/Sith or TIE fighter or whatever the gently caress

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

wanna meet that Yoda

Science fiction conventions have been a thing since the 1930s. If anything Star Wars made the sci-fi scene slightly less :spergin: because when it came out the pulp adventure of HG Wells and John Carter of Mars and old Republic serials had given away to the self-serious :techno: and :lsd: of Asimov and Star Trek and Star Wars helped tip the balance in the other direction.

To this day the people in the really super goony upper echelons of sci-fi fandom will start sputtering if you call Star Wars "sci-fi" because it's actually science fantasy :jerkbag:

I can't believe it's taken so long to get another star wars battlefront game. Gonna put some foot to rear end for the republic/empire.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I think the saddest thing is the multi paragraph essay in Wookipedia on a stuffed toy ewok used as a practical joke in one of the books.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kettch

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

why do they call it the eu?

b cuz you have to pronounce it "ewww"

also it owns

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Meh. They were definitely cranking up the grittiness, but it looked interesting because you weren't a Jedi/Sith or TIE fighter or whatever the gently caress

Yeah, Guardians Of The Galaxy was popular because it was grungy Star Wars that focused more on a group of mercenary ne'er do wells instead of the honorable galactic elite like the Nova Corps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Booblord Zagats posted:

PS Thrawn was a MASSIVE Mary-Sue character in the books, nerds

Only after the rest of the authors got in on it. In the Thrawn Trilogy, the Grand Admiral does make a few mistakes, and he is duped by Lando when he tries to steal New Republic warships. It was only after Zahn that everyone kept orgasming over how super invincible Thrawn was, and it got really annoying. Like how they take one instance where Thrawn perceives a tactical advantage from looking at a Species's painting, and suddenly Thrawn can defeat anyone by looking at their artwork.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Guardians Of The Galaxy was popular because it was grungy Star Wars that focused more on a group of mercenary ne'er do wells instead of the honorable galactic elite like the Nova Corps.

There was an element of mysticism in Guardians of the Galaxy which they wisely left mostly unexplored, like how the Force was treated in Star Wars '77. That's one of the faults of Star Wars: focusing way too hard on Jedi stuff, particularly glowstick fights. Empire got it just right. It gave us just enough Jedi stuff with Yoda training Luke (which never involved either of them dancefighting with glowsticks) while cutting back to Han doing scoundrel stuff to keep it fresh. The prequels are almost 100% Jedi business, and it's weird because you wind up learning more about the Force in Empire because almost all the prequel Jedi business is glowstick dancefighting.

Glowstick dancefighting is only cool when you only use it sparingly and has some kind of emotion behind it, but man, in the prequels, those Jedis whip it out at the drop of a hat. There's a loud startling sound in the first scene of Phantom and boom they're lit up. Wouldn't a Jedi, like, try to feel with the Force to figure out what's going on first?

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 1, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Also, the Jedi of the prequels (and its EU) are pretty hosed up.

They're an organization that kidnaps babies and then forces their religious doctrines on these kids without their consent (including a vow of celibacy) and also trains these little kids in using a lightsaber at a very early age (some of those kids in Attack look like they're six), which is basically the most lethal weapon in the galaxy, and they don't have to answer to the Senate. Who thought any of this was a good idea?

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 1, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

burritolingus posted:

There was an element of mysticism in Guardians of the Galaxy which they wisely left mostly unexplored, like how the Force was treated in Star Wars '77. That's one of the faults of Star Wars: focusing way too hard on Jedi stuff, particularly glowstick fights. Empire got it just right. It gave us just enough Jedi stuff with Yoda training Luke (which never involved either of them dancefighting with glowsticks) while cutting back to Han doing scoundrel stuff to keep it fresh. The prequels are almost 100% Jedi business, and it's weird because you wind up learning more about the Force in Empire because almost all the prequel Jedi business is glowstick dancefighting.

I know early on that a lot of people wanted more of the Cantina scene, with all these strange-looking characters and really simple way of worldbuilding, yet Lucas wanted to focus on the Skywalker family politics, especially in regard to the prequels.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

burritolingus posted:

Also, the Jedi of the prequels (and its EU) are pretty hosed up.

They're an organization that kidnaps babies and then forces their religious doctrines on these kids without their consent (including a vow of celibacy) and also trains these little kids in using a lightsaber at a very early age (some of those kids in Attack look like they're six), which is basically the most lethal weapon in the galaxy, and they don't have to answer to the Senate. Who thought any of this was a good idea?

Palpatine did nothing wrong.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

kingcom posted:

Palpatine did nothing wrong.

I've heard, according to the EU, Palpatine did it all because he was trying to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion by uniting the inefficient Republic under a strong leadership. If that's true, yeah, he really isn't the bad guy here.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

burritolingus posted:

I've heard, according to the EU, Palpatine did it all because he was trying to prepare for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion by uniting the inefficient Republic under a strong leadership. If that's true, yeah, he really isn't the bad guy here.

Same situation as a Dark Side Revan and the True Sith

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

burritolingus posted:

The longer the EU lasted the more it turns out that there were no villains ever and the constantly rampage of destruction across the galaxy was actually just a series of social mistakes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blowing up a tax paying planet is dumb as hell though. Also started watching that rebel star wars show and drat it's dumb as hell too, not just for stupid lightsaber gimmicks either.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Blowing up a tax paying planet is dumb as hell though. Also started watching that rebel star wars show and drat it's dumb as hell too, not just for stupid lightsaber gimmicks either.

I like it when they get in gunfights repeatedly and nobody gives the kid a gun so he uses his lovely slingshot thing. Also how multiple crewmembers nearly murder him.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

kingcom posted:

I like it when they get in gunfights repeatedly and nobody gives the kid a gun so he uses his lovely slingshot thing. Also how multiple crewmembers nearly murder him.

To be fair, he's totally annoying, so it makes sense.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

kingcom posted:

I saw the first episode and the laser slingshot was actually effective against storm troopers, then by episode four or so it was just making their armor shimmer and one guy went from dodging them to just taking a golden shower to the face.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I saw the first episode and the laser slingshot was actually effective against storm troopers, then by episode four or so it was just making their armor shimmer and one guy went from dodging them to just taking a golden shower to the face.

Yeah, I guess its like a taser or something so it might be annoying to the chump storm trooper but most aren't putting up with that.

burritolingus posted:

To be fair, he's totally annoying, so it makes sense.

The droid trolling him repeatedly is the best part of the show and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

kingcom posted:

The longer the EU lasted the more it turns out that there were no villains ever and the constantly rampage of destruction across the galaxy was actually just a series of social mistakes.

but then lucas comes in bumbling with some project that creates the most GGURRRRRR GOOD GUYS GOOD BAD GUYS BAD dichotomy possible.

then the eu starts anew

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

every sentence of every book not uttered by, to or about thrawn is garbage

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

every sentence of every book not uttered by, to or about thrawn is garbage

The ones about thrawn are bad too. HTH

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What exactly did Karen Traviss write that gets people so up in arms? I'm almost completely unfamiliar with EU novels.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

do fans count as eu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

david... posted:

do fans count as eu

It's the same fans who grew up adoring Star Wars that are now creating EU material so yes

Which is why KOTOR2 owns, it was written out of spite

• Locked thread