Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Spacedad posted:

Why not? Just curious.

If he's anything like me, the game feels like a goth kid's wet dream. I said the same thing awhile ago and some guy said I was trying to be a badass, so I don't really know what else to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm pretty pleased with PlayOn's MyMedia streaming service on the WiiU. I have a Windows Home Server 2011 server running PS3 media server, but I was having issues getting stuff onto my Chromecast via DNLA streaming. It finally occurred to me that I could probably do it through some other media server, so the free MyMedia got trotted out and I've been watching stuff all evening. Pretty nice and trivial to set up, just needed the app and VLC for transcoding.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

noirstronaut posted:

If he's anything like me, the game feels like a goth kid's wet dream. I said the same thing awhile ago and some guy said I was trying to be a badass, so I don't really know what else to say.

That's basically what it is yeah, and I find it amusing because of that. I'm not going to fault anyone who can't get into it though.

I asked in case he didn't like the mechanics though. Setting I can totally understand.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All the characters were obnoxious, the gameplay was really dull (I guess I'm just not a fan of combo-based, button-mashing action games), the visual design just seemed like swimming through technicolour vomit. And yeah, I agree with the "goth's wet dream" thing.

Oh and the slowmotion clothes-splitting orgasm scene was the cherry on the ridiculous cake.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I played the first half hour or so of Bayonetta 2 at my friend's house yesterday and wow, that game is not for me. Glad I didn't ask for it for Christmas.

You are not supposed to say that around goons. They'll eat you alive.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You know how some games are M-17 but really aren't that bad? Like Dark Souls or Diablo 3 aren't too terrible for a boy to play. I downloaded the Bayonetta 2 demo thinking it might be similar. More combos=less clothes and the number of "fucks" in the dialog crossed this off my purchase list.

That isn't to say that I don't appreciate them trying to branch out from family friendly titles and stuff. It's just that my childless video game playing time is limited and I don't want to drop 60 bucks on something I will only be able to play an hour or two a week.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought Bayonetta 1 & 2 straddled the line pretty well, but I had some high expectations of grandeur, sex, and language (not so much violence; I knew what to expect, there.) Definitely more deserving of the M rating than stuff like Dark Souls and Diablo III, but it's drat near family-friendly compared to God of War, Grand Theft Auto, and Saints Row.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Echophonic posted:

I'm pretty pleased with PlayOn's MyMedia streaming service on the WiiU. I have a Windows Home Server 2011 server running PS3 media server, but I was having issues getting stuff onto my Chromecast via DNLA streaming. It finally occurred to me that I could probably do it through some other media server, so the free MyMedia got trotted out and I've been watching stuff all evening. Pretty nice and trivial to set up, just needed the app and VLC for transcoding.

I prefer Plex, personally. The web-app for Plex is really feature-rich, supporting subtitles and/or alternate audio tracks, and its auto-tagging features are excellent.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hedrigall posted:

All the characters were obnoxious, the gameplay was really dull (I guess I'm just not a fan of combo-based, button-mashing action games)

Lol

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

I prefer Plex, personally. The web-app for Plex is really feature-rich, supporting subtitles and/or alternate audio tracks, and its auto-tagging features are excellent.

Since we're on the topic is there a good idiots guide to Plex somewhere? Also does it work on WHS 2011? I've been meaning to look into it for some time..

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

DoctorWhat posted:

I need it running as a service, which Plex doesn't natively support. I had issues getting transcoding working when I was messing with it as a service a while back, too, or else I probably would be using it.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Since we're on the topic is there a good idiots guide to Plex somewhere? Also does it work on WHS 2011? I've been meaning to look into it for some time..

I was using it on WHS2011. I may give it another shot, but I found it to be a pain in the rear end to set up.

My setup currently is PS3 Media Server for my DNLA needs (a PS3 and my Android phone and tablet using Skifta and MXPlayer) and now PlayOn's MyMedia for the WiiU. It's simple and just kind of works as-is. I had MyMedia set up almost immediately after installation, whereas I spent like 2 days on Plex and BubbleUPnP to try to get the ability to stream to my Chromecast to work. Now I can just use the WiiU, which is slowly taking over all the stuff on the rack next to the TV.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 30, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

He's right about the first part, though. At least Enzo only shows up in the beginning and the end. I was pretty worried after the intro, like please don't let this loving guy have dialogue throughout the whole game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

enojy posted:

He's right about the first part, though. At least Enzo only shows up in the beginning and the end. I was pretty worried after the intro, like please don't let this loving guy have dialogue throughout the whole game.

Enzo should be playable hth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Truth. Enzo is the best terrible character.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
They should make Enzo dlc for Smash bros

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macaluso posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Truth. Enzo is the best terrible character.

Davinci posted:

They should make Enzo dlc for Smash bros

FUHGEDDABOUTIT!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Motherfuckkerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

The worst part of reading Bayonetta 2 impressions online was seeing that Everyone Hates Enzo, the best character

I want a spin-off Enzo-centric holiday shopping simulator game, what a day that would be

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Enzo's great but I would've liked him so much more if he had his old Bayonetta 1 voice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MykonosFan posted:

The worst part of reading Bayonetta 2 impressions online was seeing that Everyone Hates Enzo, the best character

I want a spin-off Enzo-centric holiday shopping simulator game, what a day that would be

What if this game but Enzo teams up with Tingle.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm beginning W101 this afternoon. Besides getting used to drawing with the right stick are there any other settings I should change now?

Your daily W101 tip: start every level by double tapping L to zoom the camera out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

What if this game but Enzo teams up with Geno.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What if Bayo's Link costume came with Enzo Navi.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

enojy posted:

I've only played through Bayo 1 but the only way Enzo could have been more awesome is if he were more prevalent and were voiced by Joe Pesci

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
So I decided to do some online Smash tonight by myself. I noticed the current conquest was Captain Falcon vs Lucario vs Wii Fit Trainer. My choice was obvious. Pink Captain Falcon must request the display of EVERYONE'S moves.

I played For Glory mode vs everyone and any chance I got I did his SHOW ME YA MOVES taunt. Whenever I knocked someone off and the other 3 were across the platform... if I was knocked across the stage and no one chased, if I came back and had my moment of invincibility. Somehow this was incredibly fun to me, perhaps also due to some alcohol. But one of the matches was great as I apparently made everyone too angry at me for requesting their moves be put on display. All of them started to target and chase me. Then somehow I killed all 3 of them at once. Their moves were not satisfactory.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So bought a Wii U. Plug it in and it brings up the white screen with the Wii U™ logo and hangs there forever. Can't sync to it and can't do anything else, even holding down the power button doesn't work. I presume that I got a lemon?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is Smash supposed to be unplayable garbage online? I bought it yesterday and tried twice now and it's just utter hell. Also I quit after a minute or two into the first game and when I tried again hours later it told me I had to sit in time out for ten minutes longer. What the gently caress.

Also I'm pretty sure the biggest reason everyone prefers Gamecube controllers for this poo poo is that they reversed the dodge/block and throw buttons for no good reason.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm pretty sure everyone who uses the Gamepad or Pro Controller uses custom controls to fix that, so no I don't think that's the reason.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

kater posted:

Is Smash supposed to be unplayable garbage online? I bought it yesterday and tried twice now and it's just utter hell. Also I quit after a minute or two into the first game and when I tried again hours later it told me I had to sit in time out for ten minutes longer. What the gently caress.
Yes if you quit during a match you can't play for ten minutes. It's to discourage rage quits.

Honestly the lag, it might just be your connection. I've played hundreds of matches and I've had noticeable lag in *maybe* 10% of them. Even fewer where the lag rendered it unplayable.

Tracula posted:

So bought a Wii U. Plug it in and it brings up the white screen with the Wii U™ logo and hangs there forever. Can't sync to it and can't do anything else, even holding down the power button doesn't work. I presume that I got a lemon?
That sounds like the case.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Chaltab posted:

That sounds like the case.

I figured. I suppose better this happen like two hours after I buy it than have it sit away and have it run right up against the warranty or whatever. Only fun part is gonna be repackaging all this bullshit :v:

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

kater posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the biggest reason everyone prefers Gamecube controllers for this poo poo is that they reversed the dodge/block and throw buttons for no good reason.

I have really lovely internet and when I played it was pretty smooth so it might just be you

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tracula posted:

I figured. I suppose better this happen like two hours after I buy it than have it sit away and have it run right up against the warranty or whatever. Only fun part is gonna be repackaging all this bullshit :v:

Sorry you got a dud, but poo poo happens, man. After 3 RROD's I don't take it personal anymore. Cynically, sure, but not personal.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm just a little annoyed more than angry or anything. And as I said better this happens now and I can deal with this poo poo less than 24 hours after it happens rather than months later after I lose the receipt or a day out of warranty.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Absolutely.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That sucks buddy, I hope you have more luck with the replacement unit.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Spotted a Wii Mini at my local American Best Best Buy. Thought that junk was supposed to stay in Canada.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kater posted:

1) Are you playing 4 player online? That's pretty poo poo yeah, same on 3DS. One bad connection makes the whole thing unplayable and having 4 random players together and praying to god their connections are all good is unlikely.

In 1v1 it's still pretty common to have really bad lag, if you find someone you play smoothly against just stick to them I guess. Personally I've added people that live close to me and only play with them. I have this problem with any fighting game though, I fully expected Smash to be unplayable in random 1v1.

2) You can set the controls to whatever you want, save it as a profile and use that. It doesn't automatically remember your profile which sucks (they need to patch that) but I have the Pro Controller set to have shield on the triggers. The gamecube controller has the advantage of being the thing I used to play Smash since 2001, if you're new to Smash I don't think it's actually better but my reflexes are kinda hardwired to the thing so it would've been nice to find an adapter.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

F. Lobot posted:

Spotted a Wii Mini at my local American Best Best Buy. Thought that junk was supposed to stay in Canada.

Look on the bright side, they are the only source of the best Wiimote color and they're readily available.

On the downside, its the only way to get Red Wiimotes and they're $100.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
So I got given an Amiibo as a late birthday present and as a result just HAD to go and buy a WiiU. I have very poor impulse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Monster w21 Faces posted:

So I got given an Amiibo as a late birthday present and as a result just HAD to go and buy a WiiU. I have very poor impulse control.

Congratulations on your cute little Nintendo toy and your even cuter and super fun console. Now buy Smash and SM3DW asap! And a bunch of other 10/10 games because the Wii U rules.

• Locked thread