Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the Noore stuff could have probably been handled better. Since the first time you encounter her she reveals that she's doing everything under duress she never really gets built up as a villain to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

I thought the Noore stuff could have probably been handled better. Since the first time you encounter her she reveals that she's doing everything under duress she never really gets built up as a villain to you.

I agree, but I got a kick out of what Pagan said about her in his phone call.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zwabu posted:

How the hell do you do the first mission from Amita where they Zerg rush you with a billion Hunters, Jesus Christ. I think part of the problem is I had the wrong equipment loadout instead of having all heavy machine guns and rocket launchers etc. but still. I don't know what the optimal mine configuration is since they seem to come from pretty much everywhere.
Keep moving. Use hunter syringes. They will constantly flank you. When you get to the second part where you have to clear the farmhouse, you'll get adds from both sides from outside of the mission range. I'd suggest just keep stick-and-moving, if you've got anything with a silencer it'll help keep them from flanking you too quickly. It does take a bit of luck though - and a fuckload of heals.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I feel like I might be the only person who had no trouble with that mission. I just took it slow and paid attention and managed to kill most of the hunters from stealth. I only hosed up a little during the first section and got spotted but the three hunters remaining choose awful hiding spots and got shot in the face. I stealthed the second section almost entirely, with the only remaining enemies, a pair of normal soldiers, spotting me at the very end.

Just go slow and pay attention I guess, most of the hunters are walking through brush, but it isn't that hard to see them if they aren't actively hunting you, especially in the second section.

Edit: Granted I read about the mission here before I ever did it which gave me plenty of warning about what type of enemies I was going to be facing and was far more cautious than usual.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 29, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ArchRanger posted:

I feel like I might be the only person who had no trouble with that mission. I just took it slow and paid attention and managed to kill most of the hunters from stealth. I only hosed up a little during the first section and got spotted but the three hunters remaining choose awful hiding spots and got shot in the face. I stealthed the second section almost entirely, with the only remaining enemies, a pair of normal soldiers, spotting me at the very end.

Just go slow and pay attention I guess, most of the hunters are walking through brush, but it isn't that hard to see them if they aren't actively hunting you, especially in the second section.

Edit: Granted I read about the mission here before I ever did it which gave me plenty of warning about what type of enemies I was going to be facing and was far more cautious than usual.

My first time through I got destroyed. I was getting hit with arrows and couldn't figure out what was hitting me, took cover caught sight of one then got dropped by one that flanked me. Second time through I hit the two deeper investigation points then camped a bit and let them sneak into range. Dropped them all, ran bank to the water and get the other investigation item. The ran to the next bit and clearly it pretty fast by keeping in the house and killing them as they ran in with the riotgun.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I got really lucky during that mission i think. I hardly got damaged, and only one rebel died. To my friendly fire. :( I guess its because the hunters tended to come right infront of the stationary MG wich one of the rebels used to great effect.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GyverMac posted:

I got really lucky during that mission i think. I hardly got damaged, and only one rebel died. To my friendly fire. :( I guess its because the hunters tended to come right infront of the stationary MG wich one of the rebels used to great effect.
There are no rebels when you do the mission for Amita. You're talking about Sabal's version iirc.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

coyo7e posted:

There are no rebels when you do the mission for Amita. You're talking about Sabal's version iirc.

I played Amiya's mission, but is it just me or did the fact you had to choose to save them or get intel from them not make sense at all? Wouldn't it have been easy to get intel from them when they were alive? I haven't played Sabal's version so correct me if I'm mistaken.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ClassicFascist posted:

I played Amiya's mission, but is it just me or did the fact you had to choose to save them or get intel from them not make sense at all? Wouldn't it have been easy to get intel from them when they were alive? I haven't played Sabal's version so correct me if I'm mistaken.

There's two camps. One has intel and is already dead, one is alive but about to be attacked.
Sabal wants you to go to the camp that's alive. After the attack has been beaten off you go to the other camp, but the intel's already destroyed.
Amita wants you to recover the intel from the dead camp. After that you go to the other camp, but they're already dead.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Without spoiling anything, does the Mask collection lead to anything? Those notes near the masks are pretty creepy.

Edit: I just realized I explore %50 of the map and collected everything in the South and south-west and I have not yet done a single story mission.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jimbot posted:

Without spoiling anything, does the Mask collection lead to anything? Those notes near the masks are pretty creepy.

Edit: I just realized I explore %50 of the map and collected everything in the South and south-west and I have not yet done a single story mission.
I did the same thing pretty much at first, but then I restarted and beelined for the campaign missions after getting a decent weapon holster limit (3), then when I got halfway through the campaign in the second half of the map I went back and started clearing everything. It's kinda nice to go through the story WITHOUT being uber-stacked and full of every skill under the sun, because the second half of the map is a lot more hostile overall.

I don't think you ever find out who the killer is if you get all the masks, although I may be mistaken. I have suspicions as to who is is.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Answer to my question

Oh that makes sense, thanks!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
So, rolling into an outpost with a buddy in a technical is badass. Who needs stealth? :black101:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I agree, but I got a kick out of what Pagan said about her in his phone call.

On that note, the first Noore mission where you bust up De Pleur's creepy human trafficking sex dungeon and kidnap him- I've encountered anything in a game where I was thinking, "oh PLEASE let me be the one to put a bullet in this person." That was some hosed up poo poo.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I never really got the hate for Jason Brody, but the limited amount of an "own" voice make Ajay tie with JC2's Rico for favorite FPS protagonist. Screw narrative coherence or elaborate background stories, his quips usually are just things the player might think which makes him relatable. (e.g. the "Honey badgers killed my wife!" quest or "I'm still alive! *pointing gun at British tossers*)

suboptimal posted:

On that note, the first Noore mission where you bust up De Pleur's creepy human trafficking sex dungeon and kidnap him- I've encountered anything in a game where I was thinking, "oh PLEASE let me be the one to put a bullet in this person." That was some hosed up poo poo.

When I tried to pick him up I fat-fingered my melee attack and was disappointed that I didn't kill a quest target by emergent gameplay. :saddowns:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Randler posted:

I never really got the hate for Jason Brody

His haircut is justification enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Randler posted:

e.g. the "Honey badgers killed my wife!" quest

His delivery was just great. I wasn't too bothered either way with the rest of his VO but that quest killed me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Randler posted:

When I tried to pick him up I fat-fingered my melee attack and was disappointed that I didn't kill a quest target by emergent gameplay. :saddowns:

Ditto.

Also, I don't know how this garbageware uPlay works, but I'm LobsterPuppy on that and PantslessWithWolves on steam if anyone wants to gently caress around with coop.

double edit: sent a few of you friend requests on uplay.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 30, 2014

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Whichever dev decided to make deploy wingsuit the same button as sprint needs to be sacked.

I don't know how many times I'm sprinting and try to jump a gap then the suit deploys and slams me headfirst into the ground.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Randler posted:

(e.g. "I'm still alive! *pointing gun at British tossers*)
They're not actually British.:ssh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Floppychop posted:

Whichever dev decided to make deploy wingsuit the same button as sprint needs to be sacked.

I don't know how many times I'm sprinting and try to jump a gap then the suit deploys and slams me headfirst into the ground.

Sprint is a trigger, so you don't have to hold it down to make a running jump.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I too, tried to chop Paul into kibble with my kukri before carrying him off.

That said, you can totally kill him yourself later. He's in Banashur, near the ATVs, in a cage with his phone's ringtone for his daughter, sounding off over and over.

Floppychop posted:

Why are you trying to sprint in midair? :downsrim:

Your complaint is nearly as valid as me bitching about the melee button getting me killed in CoD when I freak out and mash the right thumbstick while trying to aim and spray-and-pray when someone surprises the poo poo out of me.. Take a breath. Calm down. You'll play better.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Your complaint is nearly as valid as me bitching about the melee button getting me killed in CoD when I freak out and mash the right thumbstick while trying to aim and spray-and-pray when someone surprises the poo poo out of me.. Take a breath. Calm down. You'll play better.

I'm not panicking or not being calm. Just from other games I play I have a habit of holding down the sprint button. I also have the tendency to sprint even if it's only a short distance, like in bell towers and around buildings. :shrug:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't even think it's an issue with the same button being used for sprint as well as the wingsuit. It's the game getting confused sometimes about your height, and then popping the wingsuit at the weirdest times. I've had the game think it was wingsuit time when I went over a one foot drop on the terraced farms levels, and then nosediving me into the ground losing a bunch of health.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

coyo7e posted:

You sprint so you can jump further, you hold sprint instinctively since most games work that way instead of press sprint. This leads to jumps where your wingsuit deploys, you slam your head against the mountain and die, and then you have to climb back up to that summit again.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never had anything like that happen to me once. Have you guys tried not running in the air? :laugh:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Joe Gillian posted:

They're not actually British.:ssh:

What are they?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shima Honnou posted:

You sprint so you can jump further, you hold sprint instinctively since most games work that way instead of press sprint. This leads to jumps where your wingsuit deploys, you slam your head against the mountain and die, and then you have to climb back up to that summit again.
I've been playing current and next gen games for like at least a decade, would you care to share some examples of games where the sprint button needs to be held down constantly to keep sprinting?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I took a risk and took down Pagan's fortress with Pagan still alive. Here's hoping I didn't do something unintended that'll lock my game later.

Also, I'm four masks from having them all, and it does look like it triggers a mission when you find the last one.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

What are they?

American or Canadian, most likely.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

I've never had anything like that happen to me once. Have you guys tried not running in the air? :laugh:

I've had it where the range between jumps climb up in bell towers is big enough that it'll deploy the wing suit if you keep holding it down.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

coyo7e posted:

I've been playing current and next gen games for like at least a decade, would you care to share some examples of games where the sprint button needs to be held down constantly to keep sprinting?

Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, Lords of the Fallen, Skyrim, Payday 2, I think Battlefield 4 unless you double-tap forward, and I do it out of habit in poo poo like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare because never not baseball slide and I find it easier to roll from shift to ctrl and do that move than to let off, just off the top of my head.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Not to mention half life and any game using the source engine.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Or tapping X in GTA

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Seriously, it feels like games where sprint is toggled (rather than held) is really uncommon.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do you lose karma if you blow off defending your outpost? Or just pass up an opportunity to gain it? What about with other karma events like hostage rescues or saving villagers from dingoes or whatever?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I took a risk and took down Pagan's fortress with Pagan still alive. Here's hoping I didn't do something unintended that'll lock my game later.

Also, I'm four masks from having them all, and it does look like it triggers a mission when you find the last one.

Pagan's fortress is a separate area from where you actually confront Pagan like the rest of the fortresses.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Randler posted:

I never really got the hate for Jason Brody, but the limited amount of an "own" voice make Ajay tie with JC2's Rico for favorite FPS protagonist. Screw narrative coherence or elaborate background stories, his quips usually are just things the player might think which makes him relatable. (e.g. the "Honey badgers killed my wife!" quest or "I'm still alive! *pointing gun at British tossers*)

Yeah, it strikes a nice balance between being entertaining without being too frequent to become annoying or break immersion. I loved that one time during one of the fashion quests:

"'Be fierce'. You keep saying that. What does that even mean?"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is anybody else irrationally bothered by how Ajay wears his watch on the inside of his wrist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is anybody else irrationally bothered by how Ajay wears his watch on the inside of his wrist?

Fun fact, that watch actually keeps time in game, if you look at it while he's holding certain weapons.

• Locked thread