Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
HOLY poo poo

HOLY loving poo poo

That word "Heggesso"?

It doesn't appear ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET...

EXCEPT FOR THE GODDAMN VOYNICH MANUSCRIPT

I don't know how deep this rabbit-hole goes, but I'm spooked. This is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me and I need ALL the help I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Or it could just be a nod to the controller of BBC 1 at the time of Dr Who's revival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Heggessey

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Castle Radium posted:

Or it could just be a nod to the controller of BBC 1 at the time of Dr Who's revival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Heggessey

Yeah, I worked that out literally two minutes ago :downs:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Join us next week when Doctor What divines the connection between the words "lambert" and "hartnell", and the Rosetta Stone

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What the actual gently caress is going on?

Striking out towards sanity for a moment, occasionally when I have unexpected free time I ask a RNG to give me a story to watch. It gave me #84, The Brain of Morbius. Are you human enough to watch Tom Baker in his prime?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
It seems to be someone planning on rewriting Virgil's Aeneid, with Russel T. Davies as Aeneas. Most of the numbered books in that post match up similar events in the books of the Aeneid. Rejoice, Doctor What, it seems you'll get to play the August to this madman's Virgil!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

I was going to say Gibbon...

I mentioned Ros becuase I believe in promoting local talent. :v:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I think I've got pretty much everything I want from Series 1 and 4, but are there some particularly good audios in 2 or 3? I've only heard Brave New Town, which was pretty good, and I'd love to pick up a couple more.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't know how deep this rabbit-hole goes, but I'm spooked. This is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me and I need ALL the help I can get.

After a good night's sleep, I think I know what's going on.

DoctorWhat...it's the Coat. It's trying to communicate.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

After a good night's sleep, I think I know what's going on.

DoctorWhat...it's the Coat. It's trying to communicate.

so what do I do? Do I put it on a mannequin, touch my forehead to the dummy's, say "contact", and hope that a silly sci-fi noise plays?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Secret Santa stuff will go out tonight, apologies etc. it's been a hell of a weekend.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Secret Santa stuff will go out tonight, apologies etc. it's been a hell of a weekend.

Thank you for doing this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Trin Tragula posted:

Striking out towards sanity for a moment, occasionally when I have unexpected free time I ask a RNG to give me a story to watch. It gave me #84, The Brain of Morbius. Are you human enough to watch Tom Baker in his prime?

It's not as good as KNEELING BEFORE THE MIGHT OF SUTEKH

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

What the actual gently caress is going on?

I think I love every goddamn thing about this serial: Robert Holmes' complete rewrite, Robert Holmes' snarky pseudonym, Robert Holmes' cameo... probably some other things...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, and you sir, are a gift to humanity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:siren:Heads Up:siren:

Amazon has the Matt Smith Christmas Specials on Blu-Ray for $9 or less each, plus the complete David Tennant seasons for $99, which is a pretty decent deal as far as US prices go. There's also all 3 Doctors Revisited (one serial + extras for each doctor) for $45, which is a great intro pack if you've never seen any Classic Who.

Link

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

earthshock on the Drama channel now.
if anyone needs cheering up, turn over in about 10 minutes for you know what

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you'd asked me for a Fifth Doctor recommendation 10 years ago, "Earthshock" would've been at the top of my list. :cripes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Metal Loaf posted:

If you'd asked me for a Fifth Doctor recommendation 10 years ago, "Earthshock" would've been at the top of my list. :cripes:

I need a t-shirt that says "Adric was right."

Or, "Adric was wrong."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I need a t-shirt that says "Adric was right."

Or, "Adric was wrong."

Make it a reversible shirt, with both options.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thexerox123 posted:

Make it a reversible shirt, with both options.

And when I wear it inside out, there's a Cyberman saying "EXCELLENT!" You're a genius!

Wait. No, that wouldn't work. Unless the "Adric was wrong" portion had this on the back.

Great, now I'm getting into Temporal Tailoring.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Filox posted:

DoctorWhat and the Prattling Poster. Great new mystery episode?

Here we go, another voyage 'round the English language...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

All the Secret Santas have gone out now! Check your (e-)mailboxes! :toot:

And with the time at 1:45am, I am finally going to bed...

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

The_Doctor posted:

All the Secret Santas have gone out now! Check your (e-)mailboxes! :toot:

And with the time at 1:45am, I am finally going to bed...

Hooray!

Now I get to panic about what to buy, this is my favourite part of each Christmas season. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just got a ridiculous case of the giggles when out of nowhere I remembered "Missy" responding to,"Doctor.... who? :ohdear:" with this out of nowhere obnoxiously loud, semi-irritated summons of,"DOCTOR CHAAAAAANG!"

Goddamn did I love Michelle Gomez as the Master, and I hope she'll be back.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I just got a ridiculous case of the giggles when out of nowhere I remembered "Missy" responding to,"Doctor.... who? :ohdear:" with this out of nowhere obnoxiously loud, semi-irritated summons of,"DOCTOR CHAAAAAANG!"

Goddamn did I love Michelle Gomez as the Master, and I hope she'll be back.

My favourite little thing she did was the "Oh Missy you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind..." singing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

My favourite little thing she did was the "Oh Missy you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind..." singing.

This feels relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8dyaN4yW_0

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Missy saved us from future Osgood appearances. RIP Missy :smith:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Going back and watching Missy's already great scenes knowing she's the Master makes them even better, if such a thing were possible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Having been reminded of its existence (and Michelle Gomez's presence in it) by this thread, I've been watching Green Wing again recently and it is surprisingly easy to believe that the Master would be hanging out in a hospital messing with the staff just for the hell of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

Going back and watching Missy's already great scenes knowing she's the Master makes them even better, if such a thing were possible.

It's great, because EVERYTHING just makes this weird kind of sense now. Even the bizarre stuff like her chomping the air for no reason in Deep Breath now makes me go,"Oh okay, it's because she's the Master and she's a loving lunatic" and it all just works somehow :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astroman posted:

This must be what it was like when watching Castrovalva for the first time and realizing the old man was Anthony Ainley.

(This may or may not have happened to me midway through the third episode)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I missed the sign-up for Secret Santa this year, but I am looking forward to witnessing all of the thread denizens receive holiday cheer. :)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's December already and the time is here, let it be jolly

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Vincent and the Doctor

I need to watch this again since on the first watch I just absolutely despised it and now I can't remember a single thing about the episode except Vincent is staring at a painting and the painting is moving.

Maybe I was delirious or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chucat posted:

I need to watch this again since on the first watch I just absolutely despised it and now I can't remember a single thing about the episode except Vincent is staring at a painting and the painting is moving.

You didn't miss much. It's just some sad sack bad painter who thinks he sees monsters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chucat posted:

It's about 25 minutes of episode stretched into 45. It's good, but it's not paced as well as it could be.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really love Vincent and the Doctor, despite its flaws (it is a bit too long and the monster is silly looking). It deals with mental illness with humanity and anyone who's lost somebody to suicide knows that horrible feeling that Amy gets at the end. :smith: Seeing Vincent realize that his work is appreciated is a really great moment and Tony Curran plays it well enough to make up for a lot of the fluff at the beginning.

Plus, it has Bill Nighy in it, albeit in a tinier role than he probably deserves.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Vincent and the Doctor absolutely has pacing and monster issues, but its absolutely one of my favorites of the revival. The last 15 minutes or so are just a perfect mix of sappy and actually emotional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
The timing for the episode was slightly unfortunate, though, because I remember around that time reading about how new evidence suggested (but was not nearly enough to confirm) that it wasn't a suicide. He may have been accidentally shot. So it was just slightly unfortunate that the theory wasn't published before Richard Curtis wrote the episode.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-15328583

• Locked thread