Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Calaveron posted:

So you basically shouldn't play pool with Summers

No, no you should not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

LvK posted:

clearly the visor is made to pick up on his unique brainwave signatures so that he can psychically command it, as long as it is making direct electro-wha-something-etic contact with his skin, you ding-dong!

That's dumb, he obviously uses a series of complicated eyebrow gestures.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
His visors are connected to a sensor in his gloves, it's in the first episode of the 90s cartoon.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
this isn't going to end until one of us gets a No-Prize.

I do not intend to lose.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Awesome Andy posted:

His visors are connected to a sensor in his gloves, it's in the first episode of the 90s cartoon.

It's also in like issue 2 or 3 of the original X-Men comics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Awesome Andy posted:

For someone whose job is to get into wild fist fights with supervillains this design decision seems awfully irresponsible.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
So what about when he's not wearing gloves? You people expect me to believe he'd risk psychic feedback and wardrobe malfunction instead of putting simple eyebrow activated triggers in the visor that his enemies don't want to take off for fear of subjecting their face to the unbridled fury of the punch dimension?

Scoff I say!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"It was designed by the late Professor X, shortly before his tragic death."

Hmmm, no they're gonna need to be more specific than that.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For someone whose job is to get into wild fist fights with supervillains this design decision seems awfully irresponsible.

Eeh, you can say the same thing about Spidey's web shooters. The answer is something about it needing a specific pressure, so a fist or punch is too much to set it off.

But given that kid-Cyclops isn't wearing gloves, I'm going to assume the eyebrows thing is also true.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Iceman can apparently take temperatures down to absolute zero (Marvel wiki again). I guess that's all the bases covered when it comes to extremes of temperature.

Now do negative kelvin and see what happens.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think we've reached peak power creep when characters are casually tossing off powers and abilities that overreach the most extreme limits of known physics. Doing blatantly inexplicable stuff like flying and reading minds is one thing, but now they're just wiping their asses with the things the rest of us rely on for a stable spacetime continuum :argh:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Of all the things to get Worf'd, absolute zero is reaching a little too far. It's not cold anymore, it's more like stop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"There, I've recreated the big bang in his face an uncountable number of times during the space of a microsecond."
"GRUUUUNT" *backhand*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Doing blatantly inexplicable stuff like flying and reading minds is one thing, but now they're just wiping their asses with the things the rest of us rely on for a stable spacetime continuum :argh:

This is how all the Marvel super-scientists feel whenever Reed comes over and asks in a kind of half-patronizing tone,"So what little project you working on today, buddy? Awww isn't that cute, my daughter was working on that while we were potty training her :3:"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SirDan3k posted:

the visor that his enemies don't want to take off for fear of subjecting their face to the unbridled fury of the punch dimension?

His enemy's face, no. Wolverine's lower back and glutes, well why not?

(Note also that Cyc is using his eye beam without clenching his fist or touching his visor.)

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Dolash posted:

Of all the things to get Worf'd, absolute zero is reaching a little too far. It's not cold anymore, it's more like stop.

"Absolute zero" is x-men tactical speak for "as cold as you can make it, and focus solely on lowering the temperature rather than ice density or something", sort of like how in space adventures "ramming speed" means "as fast as we can go, and do not avoid the collision".

Please make my No-Prize out to cash, I'm between banks at the moment.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

"Absolute zero" is x-men tactical speak for "as cold as you can make it, and focus solely on lowering the temperature rather than ice density or something", sort of like how in space adventures "ramming speed" means "as fast as we can go, and do not avoid the collision".

Please make my No-Prize out to cash, I'm between banks at the moment.

Eh I can see it handwaved away this time by saying that he did get it to absolute zero, just that the incorporeal magic negates it. But wouldn't the human torch like you know, cause a fusion reaction that creates a mini sun the moment he tries to hit that temp?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

It was indeed Grounded, so if you think that was stupid, just remember... Grounded.

I mean, was it the JMS issues, or was it from one of the issues after JMS quit?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Metal Loaf posted:

I mean, was it the JMS issues, or was it from one of the issues after JMS quit?

After. It's an optimistic statement. JMS's run was pretty much depressed smug supes in the worst way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

So basically, Iceman is Dio and Juggernaut is Jotaro. Jojoggernaut.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Say Nothing posted:

I think it was mentioned once that Cyclops' secondary mutation is the ability to accurately calculate angles in his head.

Yeah, Marvel wiki says it's canon.

Didn't he do something ridiculous like unlock a car door once with his eyebeams?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Myoacoustics and myoelectric systems are a thing. It's entirely possible that the visor just reacts to the sneer. Though how he manages to emote enough to punch holes in things, I dunno.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
He's a space wizard, seriously there's a whole like story line of him having just a bandage around his eyes when he lands on that tropical island. How does that work? Who the gently caress knows.

Also, it's been stated that he actually does have mental control over the blasts but that it's just really taxing on him or some such crazy poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

He's a space wizard, seriously there's a whole like story line of him having just a bandage around his eyes when he lands on that tropical island. How does that work? Who the gently caress knows.

Also, it's been stated that he actually does have mental control over the blasts but that it's just really taxing on him or some such crazy poo poo.

I know at one point the reason he needed the visor was because of a childhood head injury.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

(Note also that Cyc is using his eye beam without clenching his fist or touching his visor.)

"Hi, question for Ms. Bellamy. In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes that same rib twice in succession yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we, to believe that this is some sort of a, a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Eh I can see it handwaved away this time by saying that he did get it to absolute zero, just that the incorporeal magic negates it. But wouldn't the human torch like you know, cause a fusion reaction that creates a mini sun the moment he tries to hit that temp?

He would die. Instantly. He would come apart as he reached absolute hot, since things like strong and weak nuclear force stop working properly at that point. He is creating a Big Bang inside his body. It's ridiculously absurd power creep.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Man, remember when Wolverine actually could die from falling.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

The Biggest Jerk posted:

The Human Torch doesn't even get near the Planck temperature. Reed Richards lies all the time about this kind of thing, because he's an rear end in a top hat who thinks it's funny. Even people technically qualified to call him out on this don't do it because they're afraid of looking ridiculous by accusing Dr. Richards of the Fantastic Four of making an undergraduate error.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dammit Who? posted:

The Human Torch doesn't even get near the Planck temperature. Reed Richards lies all the time about this kind of thing, because he's an rear end in a top hat who thinks it's funny. Even people technically qualified to call him out on this don't do it because they're afraid of looking ridiculous by accusing Dr. Richards of the Fantastic Four of making an undergraduate error.

If someone called him out on it Reed would just alter the laws of physics to lower the Planck temperature

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I don't want to blow your mind but Cyclops does in fact have eyelids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Opopanax posted:

If someone called him out on it Reed would just alter the laws of physics to lower the Planck temperature

He could use his time machine to go back and rewrite all the history books and specifically alter everybody's memory EXCEPT for that one dude, so he'd be left spluttering when he continues to insist Reed was wrong but everybody and everything disagrees with him.

My God, this is how Doom happened, isn't it? :aaa:

Edit: For content. Remind me never to make fun of the size of Thor's hammer.

The Mighty Thor, V1 #142

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 1, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Dammit Who? posted:

And that's the same reason no one's ever corrected Wally West about how short an attosecond is.

(Unless... was that Wally? Or was it Barry? Because if it was Barry, then... poo poo, there's a reason his life is an "endless gallery of statues".)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parahexavoctal posted:

(Unless... was that Wally? Or was it Barry? Because if it was Barry, then... poo poo, there's a reason his life is an "endless gallery of statues".)

If any Flash was that fast, you'd have a worldwide version of Kingdom Come's Flash making the planet a utopia.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

The fastest any Speedster can go is the speed of light, because once you break lightspeed a Speedster will enter the Speedforce and either go to Flashhalla, or time travel. :flashfact:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wapole Languray posted:

The fastest any Speedster can go is the speed of light, because once you break lightspeed a Speedster will enter the Speedforce and either go to Flashhalla, or time travel. :flashfact:

Unless said speedster outruns the literal representation of Death, like Barry and Wally in Final Crisis.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Semi-related, there was a New Mutants story in Asgard where all the characters were in enchanted iron shackles, no one could break them, but Rictor ended up doing it. I think he used an explanation of something like, "Yeah, the magic spell to make them unbreakable held, I just used my power to vibrate the iron itself into falling apart."

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Bullshitting the reader is the most common secondary power

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JediTalentAgent posted:

Semi-related, there was a New Mutants story in Asgard where all the characters were in enchanted iron shackles, no one could break them, but Rictor ended up doing it. I think he used an explanation of something like, "Yeah, the magic spell to make them unbreakable held, I just used my power to vibrate the iron itself into falling apart."

I could swear Silver Dagger once got into Doctor Strange's house by messing around with the wood on a windowframe, instead of trying to get through the window or its attendant enchantment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I seem to remember Luke Cage breaking Doom's armour, designed to withstand partical beams, explosions, etc... by just hitting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was just his house armour. The Doom equivalent of lounging around in his pyjamas.