Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

Skyrim, I think.
Yes, I have 107 hours in it and the joke still isn't funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the elf joke

I don't either just the racism-racism-racism-elf juxtaposition.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What are the chances the guy who made it is Georgian.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

What are the chances the guy who made it is Georgian.
Slim, Armenians don't steal anything there.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do georgians have to do with skyrim?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That's definitely a meme from 4chan yep

3peat
May 6, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

What do georgians have to do with skyrim?

Maybe because their alphabet looks like elvish?

თქვენ უარესი რუსული. თქვენ ხართ რუსეთის იდიოტი ხარ რუსეთის სუნი. დაბრუნდეს მონღოლეთში. ჩვენი სომხეთის ბიძაშვილები შეიძლება მოვიდეს ჩვენს ქვეყანაში, შესაძლოა, თქვენ ცხოვრობენ ზოოპარკში .... ჩვენ არასოდეს აპატიებს თქვენ რუსეთი

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

3peat posted:

Maybe because their alphabet looks like elvish?

თქვენ უარესი რუსული. თქვენ ხართ რუსეთის იდიოტი ხარ რუსეთის სუნი. დაბრუნდეს მონღოლეთში. ჩვენი სომხეთის ბიძაშვილები შეიძლება მოვიდეს ჩვენს ქვეყანაში, შესაძლოა, თქვენ ცხოვრობენ ზოოპარკში .... ჩვენ არასოდეს აპატიებს თქვენ რუსეთი

No ring.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It actually looks like a lot of butt doodles.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Saint George also killed a dragon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Context:

The Netherlands has relatively strict fireworks laws. Sellers can only sell fireworks on the last three days of the year. That's also the only time people without a permit are allowed to own the stuff. Shooting fireworks is only allowed on Dec 31st until a few hours past midnight into the new year. Many, many people break this law.

It's stricter this year than other years: people were allowed to shoot fireworks starting in the morning of Dec 31st, now they can't do so until the evening.

There are also laws on what type of fireworks are allowed.

Laws are being made more strict because every year, fireworks are causing more and more victims and fires. Busiest night of the year for firefighters.

One problem is that these rules aren't the same in all of Europe. It's rather easy to get illegal fireworks from another European country, and smuggling from China is also common. These smuggled fireworks often aren't safe to use. The delay in the fuse might be too short. And many of these fireworks shouldn't really be considered heavy fireworks, they're more akin to small bombs. Many people don't act sensibly around them, especially those who get drunk on new year's.

Some cities have taken the Australian example of setting up professional fireworks shows that usually look way prettier than whatever amateurs come up with, but banning amateur use of fireworks altogether is a bit too controversial.

The map is showing what municipalities are setting up firework-free zones. These are mostly areas surrounding historical wooden buildings, malls, hospitals and places where many animals live. Some municipalities are planning to have quite the police presence in these areas.

Legend:
Red - municipality will have firework-free zone(s)
Orange - municipality is thinking about setting up firework-free zone(s)
Blue - Municipality won't have firework-free zone(s)
Grey - Municipality didn't reply to the journalist's inquiry

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Does anyone live in Antarctica year-round? Or are there only people working six-month winter/summer shifts? Surely there has to be at least one couple that met there and decided to just settle and raise a family!

I knew a guy who applied for and got the winter shift at the south pole station. He was a cook. There is a permanent population in Antarctica.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

I knew a guy who applied for and got the winter shift at the south pole station. He was a cook. There is a permanent population in Antarctica.

According to the Argentine census, there are nine families with residence in Antarctica. And between them they have over 15 children. So maybe there will soon be adults calling themselves Antarcticans.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

steinrokkan posted:

According to the Argentine census, there are nine families with residence in Antarctica. And between them they have over 15 children. So maybe there will soon be adults calling themselves Antarcticans.

I believe this is a figure arrived at by some very creative massaging of statistics to strengthen Argentina's claim on a region of the Antarctic.

Edit: Or at the very least they are paying a lot of money for them to live on Antarctica just for this purpose.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Context:

The Netherlands has relatively strict fireworks laws. Sellers can only sell fireworks on the last three days of the year. That's also the only time people without a permit are allowed to own the stuff. Shooting fireworks is only allowed on Dec 31st until a few hours past midnight into the new year. Many, many people break this law.

It's stricter this year than other years: people were allowed to shoot fireworks starting in the morning of Dec 31st, now they can't do so until the evening.

Laws are being made more strict because every year, fireworks are causing more and more victims and fires. Busiest night of the year for firefighters.

One problem is that these rules aren't the same in all of Europe. It's rather easy to get illegal fireworks from another European country, and smuggling from China is also common. These smuggled fireworks often aren't safe to use. The delay in the fuse might be too short. And many of these fireworks shouldn't really be considered heavy fireworks, they're more akin to small bombs. Many people don't act sensibly around them, especially those who get drunk on new year's.

Some cities have taken the Australian example of setting up professional fireworks shows that usually look way prettier than whatever amateurs come up with, but banning amateur use of fireworks altogether is a bit too controversial.

The map is showing what municipalities are setting up firework-free zones. These are mostly areas surrounding historical wooden buildings, malls, hospitals and places where many animals live. Some municipalities are planning to have quite the police presence in these areas.

Legend:

I was in Amsterdam on Dec. 31, 2011. It sounded like a war zone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Arglebargle III posted:

Aw wow, cool!! Does he like it there? You should get him a SA account and ask him to make an Ask/Tell thread. I bet a ton of folks would be interested in seeing "Ask me about living and working in Antarctica".

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DrSunshine posted:

Aw wow, cool!! Does he like it there? You should get him a SA account and ask him to make an Ask/Tell thread. I bet a ton of folks would be interested in seeing "Ask me about living and working in Antarctica".

Wasn't there already an A/T thread about a goon living and working on Antarctica? At least I remember there being one some time ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Disco Infiva posted:

Wasn't there already an A/T thread about a goon living and working on Antarctica? At least I remember there being one some time ago.

There's a guy in YOSPOS currently in Antarctica.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Disco Infiva posted:

Oh really? Hm! I don't have archives, but I'll check and see if it's still there.

Also, I don't go to YOSPOS or any of the shitposting forums.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Arglebargle III posted:

There's permanently a population but is there a permanent population? (okay well the dude after you answered that, but in the european/american stations)

there was an A/T thread from someone who worked in Antarctica a couple of years ago (edit: wow beaten, i'm very good at reading apparently) and I'm pretty sure he said people, at least in western stations, aren't allowed to stay there year-round for mental health reasons. But I might be misremembering.

also welcome back steinrokkan don't get banned again

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Koramei posted:

There's permanently a population but is there a permanent population? (okay well the dude after you answered that, but in the european/american stations)

there was an A/T thread from someone who worked in Antarctica a couple of years ago (edit: wow beaten, i'm very good at reading apparently) and I'm pretty sure he said people, at least in western stations, aren't allowed to stay there year-round for mental health reasons. But I might be misremembering.

also welcome back steinrokkan don't get banned again

I looked into this about ten years ago, but never actually submitted an application. There is no permanent population in Antarctica, correct, but there is a permanent human presence there, if you can define the past few decades as permanent. I don't think it's permanent as in sustainable without outside support.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Neat interactive maps and charts showing migration within the US. There's also historical data from the 1900 and 1950 census. The chart is neat because you can switch back and forth between migration in and out of each state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/upshot/mapping-migration-in-the-united-states-since-1900.html

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

the jizz taxi posted:

Anecdotal but I once met two guys who self-identified as Flemings from France (they had Flemish first and last names but didn't speak Dutch) and used this to distance themselves from the dreaded Ch'ti label.

This was actually a critque of "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis" a year or so back, the movie was mostly filmed in areas that considered themselves Flemish and not Ch'ti and they didn't like that they were not represented in the movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soviet Commubot posted:

Neat interactive maps and charts showing migration within the US. There's also historical data from the 1900 and 1950 census. The chart is neat because you can switch back and forth between migration in and out of each state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/upshot/mapping-migration-in-the-united-states-since-1900.html

There's definitely a lot more migration in the US compared with 60 years ago. The highest "born in my own state" for 2012 is Louisiana at 79% but you had just about 90% in all of the Deep South in 1950.

Also interesting is the number of people born outside of the country - for most states it's fairly high in 1900, drops to nothing in 1950, and then is gigantic again in 2012*. This is obviously indicative of the different immigration policies, but it's cool to see how in the first two sections Florida and Texas had almost no one born outside the country and now it's a solid fifth to quarter of the population.

*The exception being New York which seems to have ~23% for all the time periods.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Oh really? Hm! I don't have archives, but I'll check and see if it's still there.

Also, I don't go to YOSPOS or any of the shitposting forums.

Here

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Context:

Legend:

Does this have anything to do with that fireworks warehouse that caught fire and exploded spectacularly

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ferroque posted:

Does this have anything to do with that fireworks warehouse that caught fire and exploded spectacularly

Not really. That only led to stricter rules for commercial storage of potentially explosive stuff.

Edit: That disaster happened back in 2000 and flattened a complete suburb. This is a map of the disaster area that was closed down by police following the disaster (the following days, they slowly started opening up streets bit by bit).

This map is about a kilometer side to side.

It was rather 'spectacular'. Also very scary, the suburb literally looked like a war zone. Google 'Enschede Fireworks Disaster' if you want to see pics of that.

They don't allow fireworks warehouses in town suburbs anymore...

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 30, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Such heavy prohibition on fireworks likely incentivizes people to go nuts with the things on the one day a year that it's legal.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

disheveled posted:

Such heavy prohibition on fireworks likely incentivizes people to go nuts with the things on the one day a year that it's legal.

Seems that way to me too.

Every Fourth of July thousands of people shoot off fireworks all over LA which is a literal tinderbox and there's very little property damage.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Probably true. I was living in a relatively poor neighborhood in Providence when Rhode Island legalized fireworks. That place was like a warzone all summer, it never stopped. On July 4th in particular I nearly got my legs blown off just walking down the street, there were people setting off fireworks ever 10 feet and some of them weren't all that careful about warning pedestrians. This was in a relatively dense neighborhood too. I've heard it's calmed down quite a bit since.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Koramei posted:

My ex-wife tells a story that she talked with an old ATV driver in Novolazarevskaya Station who has been there since the USSR broke down. Summers and winters. Said that he had no family in Russia, and the quality of life seems to be superior. After checking the RUSSIA.JPG thread, he might have had a point there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheImmigrant posted:

I looked into this about ten years ago, but never actually submitted an application. There is no permanent population in Antarctica, correct, but there is a permanent human presence there, if you can define the past few decades as permanent. I don't think it's permanent as in sustainable without outside support.

There's plenty of unarguably permanently populated places in the rest of the world that are arguably not sustainable without outside support.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's plenty of unarguably permanently populated places in the rest of the world that are arguably not sustainable without outside support.

For example?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

For example?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Human life on Australia is demonstrably possible without outside support. The Aborigines did it for 40,000 years.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

TheImmigrant posted:

For example?

People live on Miyake-Jima, where the sulfur in the air can get so concentrated it will kill in minutes and residents have to have a gas mask within arm's reach at all times. Most residents are paid a shitload of money by the Japanese government because they're an ongoing experiment and almost all of the island's food, supplies, and construction materials are shipped in from Tokyo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Looking at sustainability on a scale smaller than a continent is probably a good idea.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheImmigrant posted:

For example?

Large amounts of "populated" areas on Greenland. Several towns and areas in Alaska and Siberia. A few desert areas as well. And of course there's dozens of scattered islands around the world that have permanent populations only because they get sustained by subsidized ship visits from the home country.

Many of these places only saw sporadic and temporary habitation before modern times or the ability to have reliable shipments by land or sea or air. Some of them had permanent habitation in the past but couldn't have it unassisted now, since weather/climate patterns have changed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nintendo Kid posted:

Large amounts of "populated" areas on Greenland. Several towns and areas in Alaska and Siberia. A few desert areas as well. And of course there's dozens of scattered islands around the world that have permanent populations only because they get sustained by subsidized ship visits from the home country.

Many of these places only saw sporadic and temporary habitation before modern times or the ability to have reliable shipments by land or sea or air. Some of them had permanent habitation in the past but couldn't have it unassisted now, since weather/climate patterns have changed.

Can you give examples of inhabited places in Alaska and Siberia that are unsustainable?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking at sustainability on a scale smaller than a continent is probably a good idea.

This has nothing to do with your post, but could you perhaps visit us in the Marriage Equality thread and tell the people the difference between Scandinavian and Nordic countries, and whether Finland belongs to one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

You might be right here, and it might be possible for Antarctica to sustain a very small population of humans without outside support. I'm sure there's some geothermal activity around Mount Erebus, for example, that could be harnessed. Still, there is no expanse of land on the planet as vast as Antarctica that is so poorly-suited to human habitation.