Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I finally got the hang of airblast jumping as pyro and I'm pretty sure I'm flying way higher and further than a regular rocketjump. Do all reflected projectiles count as minicrits even if they dont hit anything?

also, holy loving poo poo is this fun. I wish I'd figured it out before the axtinguisher nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Yeah, the projectile gains minicrit status as soon as the airblast connects. I think, unlike every other projectile, reflected explosives do actually cause minicrit damage to the pyro. It might be unintentional because I think Valve "fixed" it for a while and then broke it again a few months later. The whole way the airblast mechanic works is kind of a mess and Valve could do with remaking it completely.

In any case, the reason you fly so high isn't due to the explosives being minicrits, it's that the pyro is super light compared to the soldier or demoman. All of the characters have different weights and I think pyro is actually one of the lightest, letting you soar over the battlefield with reflect jumps.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Is there a way to look up how much the different classes weigh, in whatever units Source uses? It'd be really interesting to see them all listed for direct comparison.

Related: Every once in a while, I find the TF2 Wiki is missing some piece of information that it really feels like it should have. For instance, how long the weapon-switch time is: completely absent, even the Degreaser's page only says "60% faster" without giving any absolute times.

Anyway, the Pyro is probably so light because it's just an empty suit.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Ditocoaf posted:

heat rises :mil101:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ditocoaf posted:

Is there a way to look up how much the different classes weigh, in whatever units Source uses? It'd be really interesting to see them all listed for direct comparison.

Related: Every once in a while, I find the TF2 Wiki is missing some piece of information that it really feels like it should have. For instance, how long the weapon-switch time is: completely absent, even the Degreaser's page only says "60% faster" without giving any absolute times.

It still doesn't list what the increased damage for flamethrower and melee is with the nostromo napalmer and the scout alien costume.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Heat doesn't rise. Hot air rises. :spergin:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Just enjoyed a string of rounds where me and several other goons became steak-eating bear-heavies and made a living ambushing hapless cart-pushers with a tsunami of punchy, fast-moving fat guys.

There were no survivors.

(also give heavies a minigun-replacement that synergizes with melee/shotgun builds already)

How about a flamethrower? He's called heavy weapons guy, not minigun guy, so let's have some non-minigun primaries.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Give him a turret that's been ripped off of a tank, and make it work like a Direct Hit with no clip size.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

pisshead posted:

He's called heavy weapons guy, not minigun guy, so let's have some non-minigun primaries.

Heavy gets a giant hand-held cannon.

Fires a big ol' cannonball, a non-explosive projectile. Does 170 base damage (that's 255 at point-blank, 85 minimum), and when it kills a player it gibs them and keeps going, only stopping when it hits someone for non-lethal damage (or map geometry of course). So, Heavies and fully overhealed middleweight-classes can jump in front of it to protect a cluster of teammates.

Must be "spun-up" (held in the aiming position), and there's a visible and noisy half-second delay when firing -- enough for an alert player to dodge in most situations. Only one ammo loaded at a time, and you must be spun-down to reload.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 30, 2014

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Sanctum posted:

I found out how to fix valve server 5CP as a gamemode.

say "first to mid gets a free hat"

Could work for any gamemode. At present there is little if any incentive to capture objectives other than meaningless points. You'd have to get rid of autobalance and scramble, and some sort of ELO for people to care about winning.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The crit-stream firing sound is a pretty great touch.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose Mengelez posted:

I finally got the hang of airblast jumping as pyro and I'm pretty sure I'm flying way higher and further than a regular rocketjump. Do all reflected projectiles count as minicrits even if they dont hit anything?

also, holy loving poo poo is this fun. I wish I'd figured it out before the axtinguisher nerf.

The pyro weighs less then the Soldier so he can rocket jump further. The mini-crit doesn't affect self-damage or jump height. For extra fun play on a randomizer server and get a scout plus rocket launcher.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can't see how any non-minigun Heavy primary would work, it would feel gimmicky because the Heavy is all about being able to project power on the spot for a sustained period of time. I guess something melee focused could be OK because that's just enhancing something fun you can do with the class anyway.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

pisshead posted:

Could work for any gamemode. At present there is little if any incentive to capture objectives other than meaningless points. You'd have to get rid of autobalance and scramble, and some sort of ELO for people to care about winning.

Eh, what would you do to get people to care about ELO, which is also "meaningless points"? Killing other players is just as "meaningless", too: All goals in this game are self-set. It's just a matter of culture to encourage people to care about a round more than their K/D.

I find it's pretty effective to say things over voice chat like "come on, we've got this point" or "sweet, good one" to bring a focus to winning the round (use very, very sparingly so you aren't just annoying, and only if you're already using voice chat for things like calling out spies and flankers), or even just things like "get on the point!" during important moments.

Speaking of which, I wish I could summon the Scout's line "we got 'em, we got 'em" voice line on command. It feels so good and teamwork-y.

EDIT: VVVV Oh wow, I never would have thought to check for a page called "Weapons". Whenever I searched for "weapon switch delay" or anything along those lines, I couldn't find anything. Thanks tons!

Any chance you know of a page that talks about classes' weights? VVVVV

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 30, 2014

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Ditocoaf posted:

0.67 seconds. It absolutely should be on the pages for the Degreaser and the Reserve Shooter though.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Eh, what would you do to get people to care about ELO, which is also "meaningless points"?

You don't need to get people to care, people will care anyway for their e-peens.

quote:

Killing other players is just as "meaningless", too: All goals in this game are self-set. It's just a matter of culture to encourage people to care about a round more than their K/D.

Yes but it's an objective-based game. Compared to other objective-based games, people care a lot less about the objectives.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can't see how any non-minigun Heavy primary would work, it would feel gimmicky because the Heavy is all about being able to project power on the spot for a sustained period of time. I guess something melee focused could be OK because that's just enhancing something fun you can do with the class anyway.

There are things you can do within that role that aren't miniguns. You could have a nail gun that has more damage than the minigun but is harder to hit without because projectiles. It would increase the skill-ceiling of the class and make it more interesting to play. Skilled opponents could dodge the nails so it wouldn't be OP.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Zero! posted:

Yeah, the projectile gains minicrit status as soon as the airblast connects. I think, unlike every other projectile, reflected explosives do actually cause minicrit damage to the pyro. It might be unintentional because I think Valve "fixed" it for a while and then broke it again a few months later. The whole way the airblast mechanic works is kind of a mess and Valve could do with remaking it completely.

In any case, the reason you fly so high isn't due to the explosives being minicrits, it's that the pyro is super light compared to the soldier or demoman. All of the characters have different weights and I think pyro is actually one of the lightest, letting you soar over the battlefield with reflect jumps.

The reason the Pyro is so light is because they buffed Detonator jumping a while ago. Rather than increase the knockback it did, they just made the Pyro lighter so he flies farther.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

pisshead posted:

Could work for any gamemode. At present there is little if any incentive to capture objectives other than meaningless points.
Well people not trying is largely an unrelated phenomena in games. I don't get not trying one bit, like when someone acts surprised that you're counting cards in a casual game of hearts or poker. You're here, you're playing the game, why wouldn't you try? Otherwise you're just mindlessly shooting at mans in video game. Not in the sense of gimmicks vs. serious loadouts, but rather does that shotgun heavy have his head in the game?

pisshead posted:

You'd have to get rid of autobalance and scramble, and some sort of ELO for people to care about winning.
Auto-scramble is a good thing and should never be removed. Autobalance isn't that big of a deal, it's extremely rare you'll get autobalanced more than once during a map. Usually when I hear people complaining about autobalance it's either they feel entitled to play on the winning team or "I got autobalanced an instant before my team won and didn't show up as MVP. :cry:" Cry me a river, you start a fresh round right away so what's the problem?

I will say the one annoying instance where autobalance saps away my desire to continue playing is when I join a team holed up at last and manage to push all the way to mid and cap. Then I die and immediately get autobalanced, respawning to find myself holding last again but now as the other team. gently caress that forever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why haven't I played Randomizer before? This is awesome.

e: Rocket Jumper, Jarate and Fan-o-War. :downs:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 30, 2014

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Auto-scramble is a good thing and should never be removed.

If it's so great why do other games not have it?

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

Zero! posted:

This Sunday, the ETF2L Season 19 grand finals are on, with 2 matches back-to-back to decide the placing for the top 3 European 6s teams this season.

Check out some of the big plays of the season so far below and get hyped for watching video games!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccCVAk0CE4&hd=1

Slightly late but this is live right now on the TFTV stream!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I used to get autobalanced a lot but it's gotten better since the spectator exploit was fixed.

e: If autoscramble triggers you aren't playing a contested game at all, I don't know how you could complain about it.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 30, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

pisshead posted:

If it's so great why do other games not have it?

Other games arent as good as TF2.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

If you've never seen cp_logjam played and want to check it out, it's the decider map in the ETF2L season 19 grand final live right now!

Map 2 was one of the best matches of Viaduct I've seen in a while, Ze Knutsson Rollerbladers took it 3-1 after 4 rounds of super aggressive play with 6 less frags and 18 whole points of additional damage compared to Übersexuals. VOD should be up on Twitch for that map now, and on Youtube tomorrow probably, if you wanted to check it out.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

You'd have to be pretty quick it's looking like it'll be over in ten minutes.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

First 3 rounds were super one-sided but bk are actually turning it into a game now.

Edit: And then zappis straight up gets launched into space

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1327184180/le-grand-hat

valve, you know what to do

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
How many can we stack on top of each other before Valve stops caring about character silhouettes?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Auto balance is crucial on un moderated servers like the valve ones. I wouldn't play on them without it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jippa posted:

Auto balance is crucial on un moderated servers like the valve ones. I wouldn't play on them without it.

Agreed. Valve were idiots for letting people vote on disabling it. They seem really weird with how they're handling team stacking. They let people vote on whether to turn off auto balancing, but they also (poorly) try and stop people team stacking by not letting them go to spectator when it'll unbalance the teams anymore. Incidentally I was on the team with more members on it once and tried to go to spectator to look at a sniper that was suspiciously accurate with both his rifle and his smg but it told me it would unbalance the teams. So not only is it a poor idea in the first place, it doesn't even work right.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Slime posted:

Agreed. Valve were idiots for letting people vote on disabling it. They seem really weird with how they're handling team stacking. They let people vote on whether to turn off auto balancing, but they also (poorly) try and stop people team stacking by not letting them go to spectator when it'll unbalance the teams anymore. Incidentally I was on the team with more members on it once and tried to go to spectator to look at a sniper that was suspiciously accurate with both his rifle and his smg but it told me it would unbalance the teams. So not only is it a poor idea in the first place, it doesn't even work right.

Being able to vote to disable auto-balance is such a stupid feature to add that it seriously confuses me. Someone leaves on the losing team and there is just an empty slot there making that team even weaker and encouraging more people on it to leave. I don't think I've played on a Valve server that lasted more than 3 rounds after disabling auto-balance. Being unable to spectate people who are hacking is also really dreadful, and you can't even go spectator if you have to go afk for a few minutes. On top of that they removed the vote option to restart the current map which was really nice to have on those rare occasions when there were somewhat balanced teams and the map was going to end soon.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Valve made a vote to end autobalance but not one to get rid of crits.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Peanut President posted:

Valve made a vote to end autobalance but not one to get rid of crits.

I can sort of understand them not having a no-crit vote option. Crits let new players get a few kills off which encourages them to keep playing and maybe buy some keys/hats/whatever. No crit-servers are great though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Seriously, just add graded amounts of random crits.
Nocrits 0 = everything that would normally randomly crit can still do so
Nocrits 1 = Rapid-fire weapons cannot randomly crit
Nocrits 2 = Hitscan weapons and rapid fire weapons cannot randomly crit, just some projectiles and melee
Nocrits 3 = Only melee can randomly crit
Nocrits 4 = No random crits

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'd stick an option between 0 and 1 that still lets the pistols and SMGs crit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not seeing why anyone would want a situation where some things get random crits, and other stuff doesn't. It either means people will bitch endlessly on the forums or gravitate towards whatever weapons have crits turned on.

A simple yes/no seems like the best option.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
Random crits are awful. All of them. There are hardly any servers that run no-crits, don't have horrible server mods/pinion/asswipes who paid to be admins, and actually have a stable player count. A vote to turn crits off would be great. While I'm wishing for things that will never happen, it would be nice if there were more Valve servers in different locations. I've been the only person with less than 200 ping plenty of times recently and it's really obnoxious dealing with 500+ ping heavies, melee demomen, and spies. I can only imagine how horrible it is to actually have 500 ping and fight other people with that much latency. Give these people some servers they can actually play on.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
IIRC random crits serve two functions. 1. To make a 'great set of kills/damage' even better (Thus why damage/firing a lot increase crit chance). 2. To stop newbies/pubs being completely stomped by veteran players in every engagement. The idea that maybe that one Demo completely ruined you but you got the perfect crit rocket and got revenge on him.

While I random crits can be annoying, it can be balanced out by you getting them too. I can't blame servers for turning them off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Random crits are fine for casual play, and I don't think you should ever take random crits away from melee weapons. It's so fun to finish off some joker with a crit Pain Train or Disciplinary Action.

I mean, who doesn't like to go for a ride at the Pain Train Station in Train Town?

• Locked thread