Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I will. Can't wait to pick up SM3DW and Captain Toad.

Nintendo 4 Lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

kater posted:

Is Smash supposed to be unplayable garbage online? I bought it yesterday and tried twice now and it's just utter hell. Also I quit after a minute or two into the first game and when I tried again hours later it told me I had to sit in time out for ten minutes longer. What the gently caress.

Also I'm pretty sure the biggest reason everyone prefers Gamecube controllers for this poo poo is that they reversed the dodge/block and throw buttons for no good reason.

Don't quit after 2 matches. Especially now that the game is out almost worldwide. If you don't like your connection with someone, leave and just try again. Brawl's online was completely unplayable all the time. Terrible lag and terrible several second input lag. That happens sometimes here too, but I've had tons of games that were like I was playing local 1v1. The online is such a step up this time. You just gotta hop from player to player til you find the right one.

As for the 10 minute thing, instead of just quitting the match, commit suicide and that way you can quickly quit out of the match without suffering the deserter debuff. It'll probably screw up your win/loss stats but who gives a poo poo

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Nintendo 4 Lyfe.

Please pick up Tropical Freeze as well thank you

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In W101 are space fruits used for anything other than mixing for new items?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

In W101 are space fruits used for anything other than mixing for new items?

Nope. Also you're best off saving them for the Credit Card.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Macaluso posted:

Please pick up Tropical Freeze as well thank you

I already have that on 3DS.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
uh...

(gonna give you a couple seconds on that one)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I already have that on 3DS.

:eyepop:

How'd you manage that?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Regy Rusty posted:

How'd you manage that?

His uncle got it for him. Secret copies that only Nintendo employees get, you know.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Nintendo 4 Lyfe.

I can see the future. Lets list all the games this guy should get and then argue about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nintendo 4 Lyfe.

That's Mario Kart 8. Now where's Mario Kart 1-through-7? :pwn:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Before 8 I think DS was the best MK.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why the hell doesn't Mario Kart 8 have a Wuhu Island track!?

I'm serious, I love that place showin up everywhere.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gutcruncher posted:

There's still eight more tracks coming.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gutcruncher posted:

Please don't pave over Wuhu.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Regy Rusty posted:

How'd you manage that?

My bad it was returns.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's Mario Kart 8. Now where's Mario Kart 1-through-7? :pwn:

I only have Mario Kart (Snes), Double Dash, 3DS and 8.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you get Club Nintendo points for buying DLC and extra content? Like the Mario Kart DLC pack?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Housh posted:

Do you get Club Nintendo points for buying DLC and extra content? Like the Mario Kart DLC pack?
It would seem not, I got nothing on my Club Nintendo account. (This is NA, not sure about where you live.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Housh posted:

No Club Nintendo stuff, but if you have a Deluxe console, it does count toward the Deluxe Digital Promo.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

My bad it was returns.

If you liked Returns on 3DS, Tropical Freeze is a must. It's the same mechanics, but it has cranky and Dixie Kong which both work differently than Diddy, it is way more beautiful, the levels are more interesting, and the controls are better. Well, the controls are extremely similar, but the Gamepad or Pro controller are way more comfortable than the 3DS.

Basically it's Returns if it were better in every way.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Fremry posted:

If you liked Returns on 3DS, Tropical Freeze is a must. It's the same mechanics, but it has cranky and Dixie Kong which both work differently than Diddy, it is way more beautiful, the levels are more interesting, and the controls are better. Well, the controls are extremely similar, but the Gamepad or Pro controller are way more comfortable than the 3DS.

Basically it's Returns if it were better in every way.

This is completely true. I had never played a DKC game before this year and played all 5 games in order. The 3 SNES games were great, and I was so confused and heartbroken about Returns because it was so bland and hard to control. ropical Freeze was a giant step up in every single way and actually on par with the SNES games.

If you played Returns and didn't like it enough to buy Tropical Freeze, buy Tropical Freeze anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Do people actually use Diddy or Cranky over Dixie when given a choice ?? Outside of puzzle parts that require them or something

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm not super in love with Tropical Freeze like the rest of this thread apparently is, but it's definitely good and worth your :30bux:x2

e: ^^^^ Dixie is so much better than Diddy and Cranky, yeah.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

oddium posted:

Do people actually use Diddy or Cranky over Dixie when given a choice ?? Outside of puzzle parts that require them or something

Yeah, I will use Dixie or Diddy interchangeably. Dixie is great for ANY vertical area. Cranky I only go for when he's needed, but if I have him, there's a lot of great ways to use him.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dixie is great for any area; vertical, horizontal, underwater. Cranky's pretty good, too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nintendo 4 Lyfe.

I like how the amiibo birthday present was supposedly the straw that broke the camel's back. It's like the only thing you're missing in the past 30 years of Nintendo is the Japanese-only Panasonic Gamecube.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

enojy posted:

I like how the amiibo birthday present was supposedly the straw that broke the camel's back. It's like the only thing you're missing in the past 30 years of Nintendo is the Japanese-only Panasonic Gamecube.

Yeah it really was, a £10 plastic figure make me blow £230 on a console.

Not pictured is my original GB, my GBA and SP, my DS phat and my DS Lite.

I'd really like to grab a Virtual Boy at some point.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
New Wii U I picked up is working fine. Was being a bit of a pain in the rear end about updating but no other issues so far.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually just finished Tropical Freeze today. I had stopped before the final boss fight not actually knowing I was in the final world. I liked the design of that fight because in a lot of ways it felt like a K. Rool fight. I was surprised when the ending started playing. Overall it was an excellent game, and I'm assuming that in order to deal with the item you get at the end I have to get KONG letters?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

13/f/cali posted:

Overall it was an excellent game, and I'm assuming that in order to deal with the item you get at the end I have to get KONG letters?

Yep, get collecting!

If you've yet to get all the Kong letters from any world, then you have nine full levels left to unlock!

Also there's twelve optional levels that have nothing to do with the Kong letters - these are the ones designated A and B for each world.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

jivjov posted:

No Club Nintendo stuff, but if you have a Deluxe console, it does count toward the Deluxe Digital Promo.

What? I thought that ended. It's still going on?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

oddium posted:

Cranky feels so satisfying to use, he's great. Dixie is who I pick when I realize feeling good was ten deaths ago and that I need to beat the loving level already.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Housh posted:

Still a month left on it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Housh posted:

Yeah for another month, it ends on Dec 31, 2014. With a couple of months in 2015 to claim credit before they shutter the website.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

God drat, W101 is frustrating. Trying to block attacks is annoying when their "tells" sometimes take so long to execute. Or if they sometimes rush at you from off-camera. The special level in Chapter 001-A was kind of some bullshit.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going through Bayonetta 1 before I start in the second. I've been doing well-ish I guess, but there's no way in hell I can beat 3 Kinships. I only barely beat the first pair, and I think it was by dumb luck.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

oddium posted:

I don't like Dixie's hover up thing. I prefer using Diddy. So it was kind of a pain in the rear end that most of the secret exits require Dixie. Cranky is worthless

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I don't like Dixie's hover up thing. I prefer using Diddy. So it was kind of a pain in the rear end that most of the secret exits require Dixie. Cranky is worthless

Cranky and Dixie are the only way to get higher than you can by jumping, which is something that's extremely useful in a platformer. Cranky has the added benefit of being invulnerable when using his beard, but it comes at the cost of losing the hover of the other two. Cranky gives you the pogo from Ducktales and Shovel Knight. If you think that is worthless in a platformer, you're nuts or you just go at that kind of game like a brute.

Dixie is definitely the best of the three. Diddy is the second best, but it's only because the game does bottomless pits way more often than hazardous pits. Hover works for both, while the beard pogo only works on hazards.

Platformers are my favorite games, and yes, I have put way too much thought into them.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Cranky not only allows you to cross huge hazard pits safely, he also allows you to do it without losing any speed. The thing about Dixie and Diddy is that using their ability will take you from rolling speed to running speed, but Cranky will keep that momentum for you all the way, making him by far the best for the majority of time trials. Unless you're a baby who doesn't gold medal almost every stage.

Fremry posted:

Platformers are my favorite games, and yes, I have put way too much thought into them.
This.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

irlZaphod posted:

God drat, W101 is frustrating. Trying to block attacks is annoying when their "tells" sometimes take so long to execute. Or if they sometimes rush at you from off-camera. The special level in Chapter 001-A was kind of some bullshit.

You get used to it. Also are you playing with the camera zoomed out all the way? Press R a few times (I think) to zoom out because the game is super hard to play when zoomed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why hasn't anyone done a Tropical Freeze LP yet?

• Locked thread