Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Have we even seen a battle yet where the model damage level was set to anything other than B?

The one with Sekai vs Sakai that ended in Sekai's SD Gundam being trashed like nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still the best episode so far too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We also saw Model Level C during training battles, which I presume is "no damage whatsoever."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TARDISman posted:

The one with Sekai vs Sakai that ended in Sekai's SD Gundam being trashed like nothing else.

We can assume that the nationals run on damage level A since yuumas was also wrecked in the flashback.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

We also saw Model Level C during training battles, which I presume is "no damage whatsoever."

I could live with that, because it seems like it'd kinda suck if you were just mucking about with mates in a for-fun battle or doing a training run to test a new gimmick on your fancy custom job. Though it really should've just been a binary all-or-nothing setting, because the lack of repairs really takes a lot of tension out of the fights. You lose a lot of good moments like the fight against the Sengoku Astray in BF, where they had a one-minute break to rush and get the SBS back in working order with replacement parts right down to the wire.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I could live with that, because it seems like it'd kinda suck if you were just mucking about with mates in a for-fun battle or doing a training run to test a new gimmick on your fancy custom job. Though it really should've just been a binary all-or-nothing setting, because the lack of repairs really takes a lot of tension out of the fights. You lose a lot of good moments like the fight against the Sengoku Astray in BF, where they had a one-minute break to rush and get the SBS back in working order with replacement parts right down to the wire.

Or having people tire out because they spent all night trying to get their unit fixed when its overly fine tuned monstrosity. It adds a level of resource management which helps spruce things up a bit.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of hope the Build Burning Gundam gets hosed up at some point, and no one can fix it because they arn't remotely as good as the guy who made it :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Astro Nut posted:

Or having people tire out because they got smashed and are now totally hungover.

Fellini was the best.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

-Troika- posted:

I kind of hope the Build Burning Gundam gets hosed up at some point, and no one can fix it because they arn't remotely as good as the guy who made it :v:

I have to think the adjustable damage level has to be there for that reason, whilst letting it take damage in the meantime.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The build Burning gundam is in pieces. Only Sakai and Yuuma working together are able to fix it, but will they be able to work out their differences?
Find out next time in Dragon Ballllll Zéééeee Gundam Build Fighters Try.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There's totally going to be a fight where the gimmick is that they can change the damage level.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Azubah posted:

There's totally going to be a fight where the gimmick is that they can change the damage level.

At this point, the best way to give it some impact would be to reveal that Sekai, shonen protag that he is, has not at all paid attention to how damage levels work, and so goes all out in a Damage Level A match, totals the Burning, and then is horrified to see it shattered into so many little pieces when the plavsky particles come down.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm still hoping thats whats going to happen here in the finals because it'll be hard to put it anywhere else. Once the actual nationals start they might not have time to fit in that sort of event.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Hell I'd be really surprised if that didn't happen because it'd give a perfect excuse for Sei to show up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Hell I'd be really surprised if that didn't happen because it'd give a perfect excuse for Sei to show up.

It's pretty much the only lull in the story they have to scrap the current lineup and upgrade to the mid-season kits too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Well Manicured Man posted:

Have we even seen a battle yet where the model damage level was set to anything other than B?

In addition to the SD Battle, we can presume Not Sleggar's fight against the Zeo Zeong was also on Model Damage A since the thing was utterly totaled.

Kind of a dick move to the Zeong nerd kid to have him play a mock battle against a stranger who wants to join the club and have it set to A, actually.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Alternatively, they could blow up all their suits and they have to switch to using a mobile armor. That would help the "work together for real" gimmick.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kanos posted:

Kind of a dick move to the Zeong nerd kid to have him play a mock battle against a stranger who wants to join the club and have it set to A, actually.

His plane knows kung fu, he had no chance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So finished my rewatch of the first season, and for everyone complaining about this show being too serious or played too straight I say blame Tatsuya and Allan for that. Holy hell, he's lucky he's so cool because everything about those nerds is played so serious and straight (The fight between Meijin, the final evil boss form, the whole 'I Have to redeem the title of Meijin because the last Meijin was angry and serious about gunpla', 'RAGE ON, GUNPLA'). She's a typical shonen cool guy character that's 100% played straight.

He's still the best though.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And now Allan is a badguy(?). And Tatsuya is another wandering Gunpla hobo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And now Allan is a badguy(?). And Tatsuya is another wandering Gunpla hobo.

To be fair it seems more like Allan is the antagonist. he and his relatives that Tatsuya is apparently training.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Allan will be a bad guy if he's literally cloning gundam characters. We wont know unless an actual Puru shows up and has legitimate newtype drama.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So finished my rewatch of the first season, and for everyone complaining about this show being too serious or played too straight I say blame Tatsuya and Allan for that. Holy hell, he's lucky he's so cool because everything about those nerds is played so serious and straight (The fight between Meijin, the final evil boss form, the whole 'I Have to redeem the title of Meijin because the last Meijin was angry and serious about gunpla', 'RAGE ON, GUNPLA'). She's a typical shonen cool guy character that's 100% played straight.

He's still the best though.

Tatsuya himself acts serious but the cast takes the piss out of it every now and then.

Like the fact that as much as he pretends it does, his mask fools nobody.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's joking that Tatsuya's reign as Meijin led to a new wave of GUNPLA IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so that's the f91 guy that talked to allan at the end right?

also lol at the ZZZ Gundam showing up but not actually moving

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

He's joking that Tatsuya's reign as Meijin led to a new wave of GUNPLA IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Which is ironic considering his whole deal as meijin was essentially being a funhaver instead of serious business, win at all costs, hardcore gamer second meijin. Tatsuya's seriousness was all about showing how cool gunpla are by letting his opponents do their thing and then beating it (F91 fight, Bloodhounds, Zaku Amazing vs. Build Strike), rather than just just relentlessly attacking his opponents without giving them a chance (Exia Dark Matter fight). So he's serious business in the sense of "Hey check this cool poo poo out", not "Get these loving casuals out of my gunpla battles!" And considering the meijin is more or less the representative of gunpla in that world, the former makes more sense anyway.

Also whoever said he was the best is clearly forgetting the Italian Dandy, Ricardo Fellini. Tatsuya is definitely pretty great though, and let us wish him well in his marriage to Allan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

muike posted:

so that's the f91 guy that talked to allan at the end right?

also lol at the ZZZ Gundam showing up but not actually moving

Sunrise would never jeopardize half of their animation studio to suicide if they told them to animate that thing.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

New episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiLXJlIuufg

What a gloriously batshit insane fight that was.

And the Bearguy Family vs a black Turn-A surfing on its shield next episode.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 3, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That episode was loving fun, and weird in the best ways.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK that fight was probably more intense than anything in season one. It was absolutely bonkers.

Also confirmation that the nationals are running on damage level A. Also it appears that Sekai's takes damage with the gunpla or a piece of plastic flew out and cut him.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 3, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

OK that fight was probably more intense than anything in season one. It was absolutely bonkers.

Also confirmation that the nationals are running on damage level A. Also it appears that Sekai's takes damage with the gunpla or a piece of plastic flew out and cut him.

It's not up to Bloodhounds from S1 level but it was the best fight in the show so far and the first evidence of any sort of actual teamwork on the part of our protagonists instead of "teamwork". This may be an indicator that they're hitting their stride with actually scripting team battles to be interesting, though I think part of that is they actually budgeted the majority of the episode for the fight instead of cramming a 3v3 into the same time span you'd normally cram a 1v1.

I laughed like a loving madman when I saw V Gundam G Fighter Docking Action, the conclusion of the fight was actually a pretty humorous and clever usage of gunpla having universal connectors and joints so it's plausible to stick a couple of different gunpla together on the fly if you bend your brain a little bit.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah that was pretty good, and I am all for them going off into the deep end with Sekai like this.

Next week will be the mandatory fanservice episode I guess. :shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's not up to Bloodhounds from S1 level but it was the best fight in the show so far and the first evidence of any sort of actual teamwork on the part of our protagonists instead of "teamwork". This may be an indicator that they're hitting their stride with actually scripting team battles to be interesting, though I think part of that is they actually budgeted the majority of the episode for the fight instead of cramming a 3v3 into the same time span you'd normally cram a 1v1.

I laughed like a loving madman when I saw V Gundam G Fighter Docking Action, the conclusion of the fight was actually a pretty humorous and clever usage of gunpla having universal connectors and joints so it's plausible to stick a couple of different gunpla together on the fly if you bend your brain a little bit.

It was certainly nice to see even Yuuma's duel with the Mega-Shiki affecting and being affected by the rest of the fight.

And god drat, the end of that battle is not going to be good for Sakai's ego.

I also liked the Sleggar slap not going completely according to plan this time around. And, of course, Tatsuya being a giant, glorious ham.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 3, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It was certainly nice to see even Yuuma's duel with the Mega-Shiki affecting and being affected by the rest of the fight.

And god drat, the end of that battle is not going to be good for Sakai's ego.

I think Sakai is going to have a good reason to be smug though since the megashiki handily beat the Lightning. The only reason why Yuuma even crippled it like that was because he acted in a way no one would have anticipated by actually growing a pair.

The ending though is pretty much confirmation that even though Sekai can actually learn and adapt in and before fights, a lot of it comes down to just how insane the Burning is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think Sakai is going to have a good reason to be smug though since the megashiki handily beat the Lightning. The only reason why Yuuma even crippled it like that was because he acted in a way no one would have anticipated by actually growing a pair.

The ending though is pretty much confirmation that even though Sekai can actually learn and adapt in and before fights, a lot of it comes down to just how insane the Burning is.

Not exactly. The Lightning came out the other side still able to contribute to the battle, while the Mega-Shiki was a useless lump of plastic even if it did look more Gundam-shaped. Yuuma basically killed it, it's just that it took a while to realise it was dead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Not exactly. The Lightning came out the other side still able to contribute to the battle, while the Mega-Shiki was a useless lump of plastic even if it did look more Gundam-shaped. Yuuma basically killed it, it's just that it took a while to realise it was dead.

The only reason Yuuma actually managed to damage it to that point is because of the completely unanticipated mutually assured destruction gambit, since everyone assumed Yuuma was a giant pussy who wouldn't dare willingly sacrifice his beautiful gunpla. The Megashiki pretty much dominated the Lightning on every level before the suicide action, which is what Cao Ni Ma was referring to.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Probably any good feelings about beating Lightning are going to be overshadowed by the fact that the megashiki broke itself on BBG's face. Which made me laugh really hard. Episode still had some problems, but if we get quality like this every once and a while, I'm perfectly find with the show.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Episode was rad as hell. I really hope that G-Fighter and Amethyst Victory get new kits so I can replicate that sick docked mode.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I guess Build Burning's gimmick is a sorta Mobile Trace system that draws power from its fighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was like 70% a great fight.

The biggest flaws is that once again they don't seem to be able to handle 3 on 3 battles and they used the splitting-up and docking gimmicks to once again bring it back to 1v1. This also comes with the side effect that Fumina did all of jack poo poo during the fight. She tanked a single attack to give him Winning Knuckle, which got wrecked and then her Core Fighter became a second Winning Knuckle. Yuuma at least got to fight the Mega Shiki.

Sekai effectively being the guy who defeated the entire enemy team is pretty disappointing, although I guess you can argue he only 'beat' the Mega Shiki by having a better-built Gunpla and it was 90% Yuuma.

That said, the characterization this episode was way better. People reacted! People responded! The fact that it is considered 'throwing away your pride' to use someone else's Gunpla really makes me hope they'll address Sekai is doing the same next episode. The side character had characterizations, even if G-Master didn't interact with Team Try at all.

I don't really like the big episode reveal though. The fact that Sekai can be injured during battle is a really bad idea. It means they're going to play pretty kid-gloveys with him because of course they're not gonna do any serious damage to the kid.

• Locked thread