Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jastiger posted:

Slow bad monies day?

It is me and probably a lot of other goons. Steam sales are killing me, combined with Christmas shopping.

My wife wants a Kuerig for $99 bux and I'm pretty sure she'll use it for a month or so and then it'll collect dust for the rest of the year. But I'm going to buy it for her because of reasons (like I love her). Bad with money.

Also I can't stop buying small video games. The sales are SO GOOD, 90% off are you kidding me?

I need help :negative:

I've been successfully resisting the siren's call of steam so far but it's so drat hard :negative: I just put down $300 on a technically not a speeding ticket speeding ticket*, so while I do have the money to waste on video games, I really shouldn't.

(*Pleading guilty to moving violations is bad with money I guess. Getting that reduced was the easiest thing I've done in my life, and I bet if I pushed harder I've could have gotten it reduced more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

Slow bad monies day?

It is me and probably a lot of other goons. Steam sales are killing me, combined with Christmas shopping.

My wife wants a Kuerig for $99 bux and I'm pretty sure she'll use it for a month or so and then it'll collect dust for the rest of the year. But I'm going to buy it for her because of reasons (like I love her). Bad with money.

Also I can't stop buying small video games. The sales are SO GOOD, 90% off are you kidding me?

I need help :negative:
I know what you mean. I love the holiday seasons and all, but this is the one part of it that I never liked- the spending. Even when we tried to be conservative about our gift-buying we always felt like we were spending more than we should.

So to fix that, our family opted for a Secret Santa. Most of us are grown-up now, so it worked out really well. This way, nobody's buying a bunch of thoughtless gifts for their aunts/uncles/nephews/nieces/10th cousins twice removed ("Gee, thanks for the corncob holder, Auntie Em!"). Secret Santa now means we only have to buy one good gift for one person.

Neat little side story- February was always the most depressing part of the year back at the bank. Not just for the lousy weather and the lack of holidays, but moreso because everyone starts getting their credit card bills and starts dreading how they're going to repay everything. People got surly as hell around February.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Staples had a Keurig on sale for $54 the other day. It may still be on sale. Keep in mind that you are permanently locked in to paying almost retail prices for a single cup of coffee with their stupid K-Cups.

I just bought a 4 cup coffee maker yesterday for $14.99. It takes 2 minutes to make coffee and pour it into a to-go cup, and $15 worth of beans at BJs lasts us weeks. Would this not work for you?

Also here's a gem from Reddit today:

quote:

The good:
$2,300 in stocks (ugh)
$29,000 in roth-IRA
~$110,000/yr salary
~$15,000/yr self employment
~$12,000/yr wife's part time gig

The bad:
$17,000 student loans
$6,300 back taxes (ill advised trad-ira to roth-ira conversion a few years ago)
$20,000 credit cards (between 10~18% apr, avalanching)

The ugly:
$3,700/mo rent (not moving soon)
No matching 401k (but 401k nonetheless)

I haven't been contributing to my IRA, and it's 100% Apple/FB stock (bought FB at $38/share, AAPL at $340/share, pre-split). It's been doing well (?) despite my neglecting. I plan to hit the max (5.5k) a year starting 2015.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

He pays significantly more in rent than my entire monthly budget.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's probably half of their net total income just on rent. He also plans to contribute $5.5k for retirement while sitting on $20k of credit card debt. There's a whole bunch of retarded decisions there. That and I can't understand where the remainder of their income is going. They must be blowing it on some bullshit.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kies-ready.html

Phone posting, but sums up like this: families can't get by on $150k+ a year because of reasons.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Geizkragen posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kies-ready.html

Phone posting, but sums up like this: families can't get by on $150k+ a year because of reasons.

drat there are some gems in that one. That's also the dailymail's most honest headline I've ever seen.

quote:

‘I see self-employed barristers and doctors who have not filed tax returns for seven or eight years and have been living on their gross income. They then end up with a £300,000 tax bill, which they cannot pay. Bankruptcy is then the only option for them to rid themselves of this debt and move forward.
‘I have clients who were solicitors and are now bankrupt, working in Tesco. I fear many more will be hit when interest rates finally go up.’

It’s not just those raising families who are struggling to manage on a six-figure salary. Annie Zhu’s husband earns £110,000 a year, but, she insists, it is no longer enough to maintain the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

The couple would like to have a baby, but Annie, a part-time model, would first like to move from their £400,000 home by the river in East London to a ‘nicer area’, such as Fulham, West London, where they used to rent a flat.
However, she says, it would cost them at least £2 million to buy a family home there — a price well beyond their means.

Oh you couldn't bring up a family in such a cheap house, no it needs to be loving expensive for no justifiable reason. I wish some of these idiots would read the Millionaire Mind and find out that those who are rich don't blow so much money.

e: there's so much more.

quote:

By the time Jo comes into contact with them, they are in financial dire straits. ‘It’s a middle-class crisis,’ she says.
‘It affects people whose children are in private schools and who are on interest-only mortgages — I very rarely see anyone who’s making inroads into their mortgages.

Seriously an interest only mortgage on a family home. Those are specifically for investment property and unless it generates income it's not going to end well. These are people living well beyond their means just for looks.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 30, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xie posted:

Staples had a Keurig on sale for $54 the other day. It may still be on sale. Keep in mind that you are permanently locked in to paying almost retail prices for a single cup of coffee with their stupid K-Cups.

I just bought a 4 cup coffee maker yesterday for $14.99. It takes 2 minutes to make coffee and pour it into a to-go cup, and $15 worth of beans at BJs lasts us weeks. Would this not work for you?

Also here's a gem from Reddit today:

I declined my wife's suggestion of buying me a coffee maker for Christmas. I'm willing to overlook the price for the K-cups since my weekly Venti Mocha (+ fruit cup for bonding with my kiddo :3:) typically costs more than the cost of k-cups for 2 weeks for me. I'm willing to pay the premium for the convenience of "toss a k-cup in, pres butan", and not having to rinse anything, and "almost retail" is a laugh when they're like $0.75/e at the most in bulk.

It might be bad with money but it's not a lot of bad or money.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

That's probably half of their net total income just on rent. He also plans to contribute $5.5k for retirement while sitting on $20k of credit card debt. There's a whole bunch of retarded decisions there. That and I can't understand where the remainder of their income is going. They must be blowing it on some bullshit.

If they are paying $3700 rent somewhere there's a great chance a big loving chunk of it is going to NY or CA taxes

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
K-Cups are incredibly wasteful, terrible for the environment, expensive, pointless and make lovely coffee. Buy a loving coffee maker. Or a french press. Or a bialleti. Or make cold press.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If they are paying $3700 rent somewhere there's a great chance a big loving chunk of it is going to NY or CA taxes

There must be some scope to move further away for lower rent and increase transport costs. Sometimes you just can't escape some taxes though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is why I posted the Keurig thing here. I don't want one, and its wasteful.

But dammit my wife wants one. I'm going to get it for her and every time she doesn't use it, or wants MORE coffee than the one single cup it makes, I"m going to point it out (after the feel good feeling of the gift wears off of course).

So its bad with money, but good with gifting. Plus can't you get a decent deal at Costco on the K Cup thingies?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

K-Cups are incredibly wasteful, terrible for the environment, expensive, pointless and make lovely coffee. Buy a loving coffee maker. Or a french press. Or a bialleti. Or make cold press.

The thing is none of those make nearly as good coffee as k cups.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

You can buy filters for the keurig and use your own coffee

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Skulduggery posted:

I did this and now I don't feel nearly as bad with money

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

I wouldn't say k cups produce better coffee, but they do quickly produce a caffeine containing liquid with little fuss and very little cleaning. It's worth it for me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Duck and Cover posted:

Wait what? K cup coffee is so weak. Maybe i'm just a snob. I buy good beans and have an espresso machine at home though. The lattes and cappuccinos I make at home are better than starbucks and as good as a small indie shop. When I want just coffee I use a cuisinart with a gold filter.

The beans are the most important thing though. When I buy cheap lovely beans my coffee tastes cheap and lovely. When I buy beans from my favorite roaster my coffee and espresso is about 1000% better.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ohgodwhat posted:

I wouldn't say k cups produce better coffee, but they do quickly produce a caffeine containing liquid with little fuss and very little cleaning. It's worth it for me.

Same.

I have a K Cup at home and I don't believe for a minute that it's quality coffee. It's a way to quickly and easily get caffeine into my body, and until we find an easier way to feed my crippling caffeine addiction in the morning I will continue to use it.

If I want to make quality coffee, I have a grinder and a french press. That takes time and effort though. Whenever I mention this, someone always chimes in that a French Press is so easy already because all you do is add coffee, seep and push the plunger down. Yes that's true, but you can't get any easier than "push button" and those people tend to underestimate the extent of my laziness. If there was enough space for my head underneath the K-Cup machine I'd probably dispense the coffee directly into my mouth and avoid the hassle of a cup.

e:

Tigntink posted:

Wait what? K cup coffee is so weak. Maybe i'm just a snob. I buy good beans and have an espresso machine at home though. The lattes and cappuccinos I make at home are better than starbucks and as good as a small indie shop. When I want just coffee I use a cuisinart with a gold filter.

The beans are the most important thing though. When I buy cheap lovely beans my coffee tastes cheap and lovely. When I buy beans from my favorite roaster my coffee and espresso is about 1000% better.

To be fair, everything's better than starbucks. I admit K-Cups tend to be a little weak, especially the reusable containers, but for me it was just a matter of experimenting until I found the ones that aren't so weak. My machine also took a few weeks to break in. The first few cups I had with it tasted like chalk, and it got much better as time went on.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 1, 2014

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Jastiger posted:

Plus can't you get a decent deal at Costco on the K Cup thingies?

No, not really.

Even the cheapest Costco K-cups are around 40 cents a pop - we'll call it 40 cents to make the numbers easy. You can make pretty good drip coffee at 1 oz coffee to 4 ordinary cups of water - that translates to six 8 oz coffee cups (which is a pretty good comparison point, because if you make a 12 oz cup with the Keurig machine, it'll be incredibly watery and even worse than usual). So, six Keurig pods to an ounce of un-podded coffee means that you're paying the equivalent of $2.40/oz, or $28.80 for the amount of coffee you'd get in a standard 12 oz bag - and that's for the basic cheap stuff. Fancy expensive single-origin hipster-roasted coffee that comes with flavor notes runs about $20/12 oz at the high end, or $0.28/cup. Even if you add in five cents a cup for a new filter every time, you're still not at K-cup prices.

The bottom line is that with a K-cup machine, you're paying more than ultra-premium prices for something comparable to Folgers. There's no question that it wins on convenience, but you're paying a lot for it. "Decent deals" don't exist in K-cup land.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you're not horny for the K-cup brand specifically yet want the convenience of near-instant coffee, many retailers sell refillable cups. Throw whatever you want inside and bam. I bought a couple for an office keurig so I'd get bugged less about the coffee fund.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
An article in relation to minimum repayments for credit cards.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/63627138/Warnings-to-beware-the-credit-card-trap

quote:

Only 3 per cent of New Zealand credit card holders pay the minimum each month," he said. "That's compared to 13 to 14 per cent in the US and UK. More than half of New Zealanders who have credit cards pay off their balance in full each month, while only a third in the US do.

That's right 1/3 of people in the US pay off their full credit card balance each month.

quote:

The Interest.co.nz minimum repayments calculator shows that at minimum repayments, it would take someone with a $5000 debt 22.1 years to pay it off, if they had a standard ANZ MasterCard, compared to 43.2 years on a BNZ American Express Classic, and 82.9 years on a Westpac Visa Classic.

Sweet only 82.9 years to pay off a Visa balance of $5000 on minimum payments. That's some credit card equity right there.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The last page has come together nicely. To anyone who is concerned about wrapping up too high a percentage of their income in rent or transportation, the percentage isn't the relevant measure, it's how it affects your budget and your life on the whole. Everyone has different values, and what is important is that you're not blowing money to a degree that you're going into debt, or not taking care of basic needs now and in the future. And if you think it can't be right to spend anywhere from 10% to 50% on rent, well, read the last page, because a lot of what makes that work is how important or unimportant other stuff is to you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Renegret posted:

I've been successfully resisting the siren's call of steam so far but it's so drat hard :negative: I just put down $300 on a technically not a speeding ticket speeding ticket*, so while I do have the money to waste on video games, I really shouldn't.

(*Pleading guilty to moving violations is bad with money I guess. Getting that reduced was the easiest thing I've done in my life, and I bet if I pushed harder I've could have gotten it reduced more)

Here, I'll give you permission: You may purchase 1 game under 10 dollars or 2 games totaling under 10. At least one should be a game you've thought of buying before but didn't; both should be games you really want to play, which have been reviewed well, and which you haven't played before.

Permission is revoked if you do not forsee having enough time to play the games before the next big Steam sale.

That is not bad with money, it's being careful while spending money on something you really want and will use.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I spent more on 3 games. Best part is I've actually been playing all 3 games, unlike most steam sales which just involved collecting a stack of cheap games to play at some unspecified time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Sorry for your loss.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

Same.

I have a K Cup at home and I don't believe for a minute that it's quality coffee. It's a way to quickly and easily get caffeine into my body, and until we find an easier way to feed my crippling caffeine addiction in the morning I will continue to use it.

If I want to make quality coffee, I have a grinder and a french press. That takes time and effort though. Whenever I mention this, someone always chimes in that a French Press is so easy already because all you do is add coffee, seep and push the plunger down. Yes that's true, but you can't get any easier than "push button" and those people tend to underestimate the extent of my laziness. If there was enough space for my head underneath the K-Cup machine I'd probably dispense the coffee directly into my mouth and avoid the hassle of a cup.

Pretty much this. Yes, it's expensive, crappy coffee. It's also an incredibly quick and simple way to put something caffeinated into a mug that I'll ingest directly into my body so that I can grunt at my family, instead of loving around with a coffee machine or god forbid a french press when I'm trying and failing to make coherent thoughts at gently caress-me-in-the-morning.

Then again I guess this is the wrong thread to enjoy things that aren't the cheapest possible thing, or to believe that convenience might have value.

Skulduggery posted:

I have a couple. They work horribly, they leak grinds into your cup, and then you have to wash them after using them which defeats the entire purpose of owning a Keurig.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VideoTapir posted:

Here, I'll give you permission: You may purchase 1 game under 10 dollars or 2 games totaling under 10. At least one should be a game you've thought of buying before but didn't; both should be games you really want to play, which have been reviewed well, and which you haven't played before.

Permission is revoked if you do not forsee having enough time to play the games before the next big Steam sale.

That is not bad with money, it's being careful while spending money on something you really want and will use.

Too late, I already bought the Far Cry bundle (3 games + DLC) for $10, and I already started playing it.

So uh, yeah, I think that meets your requirements quite comfortably.

Volmarias posted:

I have a couple. They work horribly, they leak grinds into your cup, and then you have to wash them after using them which defeats the entire purpose of owning a Keurig.

Oh man, it's been a while since I've used it, I forgot all about that. It's more work to clean than my French Press so at that point why bother?

I've had an Aeropress recommended to me, the last thing I need in the house is more coffee doodads but it's basically a mini, single serving french press that's a lot easier to clean. It uses coffee filters so the grinds don't get into your coffee, and I see on Amazon that they're 350 for $4 so cost isn't really an issue. The Aeropress itself is like $25. I'd get one for work if we didn't have unlimited free coffee that flows like water in the break room. The break room coffee is unbelievably bad, but I will keep drinking it until the day I die from a caffeine related overdose because it's free.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I use an aeropress + kettle as an alternative to the refillable keurig thingy. Cleanup is much easier, you take off the cap, push the grinds into the trash and rinse the aeropress. It's perfect for weekend coffee for 2 people.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I like how out of all the bad decisions about houses, cars, and retirement posted in this thread, the thing that really provokes an entire page of argument is paying 20 cents too much for a cup of coffee from a K Cup machine

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I like how out of all the bad decisions about houses, cars, and retirement posted in this thread, the thing that really provokes an entire page of argument is paying 20 cents too much for a cup of coffee from a K Cup machine

Just goes to show what the important thing in life is.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
It's really the waste that makes it a 'no' for me, and a really strong aversion to being locked in to buying overpriced 1st party refills for anything. Steam mop > swiffer, etc. Because then the price keeps going up and you're locked in. I grew up really poor and even though I'm not now it's tough to make "sub-optimal" convenience choices like this one.

And the drat thing is like $100. You can watch the deal sites and if you aren't too picky pick up the cups cheaper sometimes. And I like my little 4 cup thing, it's the perfect amount and takes up no space in our tiny place. :3:

We have a Keurig at work and one thing I do like is being able to buy my own cups and have the flavor/strength I want, and keep them at my desk. They definitely have their place. Until recently I only drank 1-2 cups a week, so a Keurig is good for that too since ground beans get lame really fast.

My job sends me to 5-10 different offices per week so I usually plunder theirs if they have fancy flavors. When we moved into our new office they left us some huge reserve of Dunkin Donuts knockoff k-cups. Why anyone would want imitation Dunks coffee is a mystery to me.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

If I'm ever in a place I own again, I'll probably get a Bunn coffee maker or something plumbed in. I like that idea better than a Keurig.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Seriously, who cares how people get their coffee? I used to spend way too much at starbucks. The keurig saves me a ton and I use it every day and have since last Christmas. I also have a press but I usually don't want to mess with it. To each their own.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
And here I am just buying caffeine pills. It's like 4 dollars for a fifty pack.

I tried powder, but it was just a pain to measure.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 1, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I started reading the Mr. Money Moustache blog and I'm a little dismayed at how easy he says it is to cut transportation costs. I live in a small college town with mediocre-at-best public transit, which is set up to benefit cars rather than pedestrians or cyclists, and living close enough to bike to work would sent my rent soaring. That's before considering that my fiancee works two jobs spanning four locations, and both of us have time commitments outside of work. I've owned two cars that cost me less than $3k, and they actually ended up costing a lot more than that.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I think Keurigs make weak coffee, the cups cost too much and are lovely for the environment.

What really gets me though is the lines of cars I see getting coffee from places like Dutch Brothers. Dropping $4 a drink to wait 5 minutes in line every morning seems like bad with money and time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I just bought a single serving French press yesterday, I'm getting rid of my keurig this week. Got it for $40 on Amazon, hopefully I can get like $20 for it. Thing takes up way too much space on the counter, and it works out to something silly like 0.60-0.70 a cup,

We have it at work, and in that context it's great. Everyone gets the coffee they want. But then work is paying for it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I've owned two cars that cost me less than $3k, and they actually ended up costing a lot more than that.

What kind of cars?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EugeneJ posted:

What kind of cars?
Actually, my first two cars were hand-me-downs that lasted quite awhile with not too much in maintenance costs--a Ford Tempo and a Chevy Lumina. The first car I bought from a stranger was an '03 Hyundai Elantra that very quickly needed expensive transmission work and cost (I'm guesstimating here) another $1500 or more in repairs during the four years I owned it.

My fiancee owns an '03 Hyundai that she's had much better luck with, and last year I got an 08 Versa which I'm just happy I don't have to wonder if the wheels are going to fly off while I'm driving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Renegret posted:

No V1? It's cheaper than multiple speeding tickets.

Jastiger posted:

That is why I posted the Keurig thing here. I don't want one, and its wasteful.

But dammit my wife wants one. I'm going to get it for her and every time she doesn't use it, or wants MORE coffee than the one single cup it makes, I"m going to point it out (after the feel good feeling of the gift wears off of course).
That sounds super healthy.

Halloween Jack posted:

I started reading the Mr. Money Moustache blog and I'm a little dismayed at how easy he says it is to cut transportation costs. I live in a small college town with mediocre-at-best public transit, which is set up to benefit cars rather than pedestrians or cyclists, and living close enough to bike to work would sent my rent soaring. That's before considering that my fiancee works two jobs spanning four locations, and both of us have time commitments outside of work. I've owned two cars that cost me less than $3k, and they actually ended up costing a lot more than that.
Cheap cars are best if you can DIY. Then again expensive cars are better if you can DIY as well, but not everyone can DIY obviously.

• Locked thread