Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

They've spent millions of dollars loving with the OT over the years doing some really small changes like moving the rank insignia of Imperial officers to the correct positions, yet they leave in horrible color errors like this, even in the blu-ray releases

Pretty sure that isn't supposed to be pink, but maybe I'm just not seeing the symbolism of His true vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I think the main appeal of Star Wars for most people is the engaging special effects and how it takes you completely into the scene. In terms of imagery, it's hard to forget about the first time you saw a TIE fighter flying through space or the AT-ATs stomping through in the invasion of Hoth.

The problem with the prequels was that the technology couldn't quite get over the uncanny valley and the issue of everything looked faker than in the original series. I think if the prequels were remade with current CGI technology, they would've been much better remembered.

In terms of acting, I remember rewatching Empire and seeing how stilted the conversations could be at times. The dialogue was just as bad as in the prequels.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

RBA Starblade posted:

As opposed to other films.

He likes to have his cake and eat it too.

"Here's some deep, probing analysis of the color of the drapes in Episode I, and if you don't get why it's important you're not really a fan...

...but the films are just entertainment! And not really important."

It's post-structuralist play time: the text is everything, and nothing. A true Star Wars fan takes it seriously, but not too seriously.

I'll tell you though, he should write a book of essays. I'd totally buy it. You have my cash SMG.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

I think the main appeal of Star Wars for most people is the engaging special effects and how it takes you completely into the scene. In terms of imagery, it's hard to forget about the first time you saw a TIE fighter flying through space or the AT-ATs stomping through in the invasion of Hoth.

That and the sound design and score. No one would even remember what Star Wars is if it wasn't for Williams. His score for the prequels is also stellar.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tezzeract posted:

The problem with the prequels was that the technology couldn't quite get over the uncanny valley and the issue of everything looked faker than in the original series. I think if the prequels were remade with current CGI technology, they would've been much better remembered.

Eh the main problem definitely wasn't that the CGI wasn't good enough. It was a combination of a terrible, ill-conceived story and the fact that CGI was used to replace 99% of sets, objects and characters, leaving what was real feeling lifeless and disjointed.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kiimo posted:

Someone should make a list of the most offensive changes. That scream is not nearly as bad as the Krayt Dragon scream. But is that worse than "NOOOOOO"? I'm not sure. I wouldn't even put Greedo shooting first #1 personally, that has to be the unforgivable jazz song in Jedi.

Holy loving lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Star Wars, like every piece of art ever, is only a tool used to pull meaning out of your own subconscious and make sense of life. The entirety of human experience is finding meaning in nothing. Also I like AT-ATs and I have a little diecast one on my desk.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just imagine Alec Guinness making those noises with his face hole.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Steve2911 posted:

Eh the main problem definitely wasn't that the CGI wasn't good enough. It was a combination of a terrible, ill-conceived story and the fact that CGI was used to replace 99% of sets, objects and characters, leaving what was real feeling lifeless and disjointed.

It's interesting how TPM wasn't *as* guilty of the "blue screens for everything" mindset George adopted for the latter PT movies. That's likely a big part of why I used to describe that film as the one I hated the least out of the three to the point of being able to enjoy watching it. I haven't watched it in years, though, so I probably will have a different reaction. Of course, the film has plenty of issues that real sets and location shooting won't fix.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

oddium posted:

I understand the discontent surrounding most of the OT changes, but I don't trust anyone that prefers the chimp eyes Emperor in ESB

I prefer ol' chimp lady emperor because the RotS makeup they used for the reshoot is loving awful. I welcome your hate

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Steve2911 posted:

I'm arguing that a good set piece battle would've made the prequels better received. Everyone remembers Hoth and the Death Star battles and they played a huge role in making the movies engaging.

None of the space battles or land battles were really memorable in the prequels and in the end of the day, that's what people are looking forward to the most in a Star Wars movie. The lightsaber fights were better but they really don't carry the movie for some reason.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 1, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

My favorite part of the Phantom Menace is the podracer designs. Not the scene, or actually any scene from the movie. The podracers just look really cool.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The prequels suck because they dont have 70s hairstyles

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

taco_fox posted:

I prefer ol' chimp lady emperor because the RotS makeup they used for the reshoot is loving awful. I welcome your hate

It's really a pick your poison. Me personally I'd rather take the monkey eyes and chalk it up to wonky deep-space communications.

Otherwise the Emperor developed some sort of wasting disease in the year between Ep. V and VI that made him lose 40 pounds and changed his voice.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

C'moooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tezzeract posted:

I'm arguing that a good set piece battle would've made the prequels better received. Everyone remembers Hoth and the Death Star battles and they played a huge role in making the movies engaging.

None of the space battles or land battles were really memorable in the prequels and in the end of the day, that's what people are looking forward to the most in a Star Wars movie.

This is true, though the way the action scenes turned out is intertwined with the other problems. The Battle of Hoth happened because the Empire wanted to gently caress up a rebel base. The Battle of Endor happened because it was near the Death Star when the rebels were assaulting it. I'll be hosed if I can remember or bring myself to care about why they were fighting on Naboo or Geonosis, so even the most exciting battle scene would still have flown over my head, even if the fight itself was great.

I'd have loved for some of the lightsabre duels to actually look like two people fighting, rather than dance routines. They're visually impressive but... Again who gives a gently caress? They're dancing and bouncing around because of some trade dispute or something and I fall asleep 10 minutes in.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 1, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Things I like about Episode III:

The opening shot of the fighters dipping over the capital ship (but not the rest)
The TIE fighter-ish fighter design
Grievous' dumb design and dumb accent and magnetic feet

I think that's it

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

oddium posted:

I'm not sure where that image came from, but there is no 2009 version. It still looks like the 2004 version.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

oddium posted:

That last one is a fake. You've been living a lie. It looks a lot better, though

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

oddium posted:

Things I like about Episode III:

The opening shot of the fighters dipping over the capital ship (but not the rest)

I have to say that opening shot would have been a great opener for Episode I. Imagine if that's what the audience was thrown into.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Ignore the fake one and agree heartily that Ian is superior to chimp eyes Emperor. The only problem with 2004 is his burlap potato sack hood

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Love Rat posted:

I have to say that opening shot would have been a great opener for Episode I. Imagine if that's what the audience was thrown into.

Yes... yes, let's brainstorm. I know a guy, we can make our own edit

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

oddium posted:

Yes... yes, let's brainstorm. I know a guy, we can make our own edit

Yeah yeah, I'm just saying, wow those audiences. That's why we pay good money god drat it. Donut ships and Space Asians don't cut it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Okay, so we dive over the capital ship, descend through the battle, cut to a sandy dune. In the sky, we can barely see the space battle. Pull back, 17-year old Anakin is working on his podracer.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

oddium posted:

Ignore the fake one and agree heartily that Ian is superior to chimp eyes Emperor. The only problem with 2004 is his burlap potato sack hood

It is superior, and Ian McDiarmid's performance is spot on. The only thing that bothers me is that the ROTS makeup job was never as good as ROTJ. It would have been better if there was less light on his face.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ravane posted:

This guy sperged so hard, I sensed a disturbance in the force. http://imgur.com/gallery/zMEq4

Okay, I'm gonna be honest. I would feel much better if that sith starting out a Dark Souls playthrough had a weapon that looked like this:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This would have been so much loving cooler.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, I'm gonna be honest. I would feel much better if that sith starting out a Dark Souls playthrough had a weapon that looked like this:

Yeah, but but but, THAT DOESN'T COMPLETE A CIRCUIT!!! :ohdear:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Taking out Lapti Nek is probably the worst part of the Special Editions. The entire movie stops for that dumb rear end musical number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd4Gwe6EYaU
Also somebody needs to release the English language cut of the song...

Good to see that Ric Flair has made his way into the Star Wars Universe.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah, but but but, THAT DOESN'T COMPLETE A CIRCUIT!!! :ohdear:

I don't give a poo poo! The glowy parts bounce off the other glowy parts! That, is how, it works!!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

kiimo posted:

Someone should make a list of the most offensive changes. That scream is not nearly as bad as the Krayt Dragon scream. But is that worse than "NOOOOOO"? I'm not sure. I wouldn't even put Greedo shooting first #1 personally, that has to be the unforgivable jazz song in Jedi.

Jizz. The music is called Jizz. I am 100% serious about this. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ravane posted:

Jizz. The music is called Jizz. I am 100% serious about this. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

"Evar Orbus and His Galactic Jizz-Wailers"? Oh dear lord.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Ravane posted:

No, Jizz is the awesome Swing Jazz those egghead aliens are playing in Mos Eisley, and I always get up and bust out my Charleston moves whenever that scene come on.

edit: eh, according to wookipedia, both the cantina band and the jabba place band are playing Jizz, eh whatever.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 1, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope the new film has a lot more Jizz in it. I've been craving it since Return of the Jedi and I hope JJ Abrams has plenty of Jizz for us to enjoy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Love Rat posted:

He likes to have his cake and eat it too.

"Here's some deep, probing analysis of the color of the drapes in Episode I, and if you don't get why it's important you're not really a fan...

...but the films are just entertainment! And not really important."

It's post-structuralist play time: the text is everything, and nothing. A true Star Wars fan takes it seriously, but not too seriously.

I'll tell you though, he should write a book of essays. I'd totally buy it. You have my cash SMG.

-There's nothing 'deep' about the basic observation that Amidala is insanely rich, and made her wealth from Gungan soil.

-Star Wars is just a series of movies, made by artists, and movies are extremely good.

-I am not a post-structuralist.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

No, Jizz is the awesome Swing Jazz those egghead aliens are playing in Mos Eisley, and I always get up and bust out my Charleston moves whenever that scene come on.

edit: eh, according to wookipedia, both the cantina band and the jabba place band are playing Jizz, eh whatever.

The eggheads are Bith. :smithicide:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I'd like to learn more about the Jizz-box.

quote:

The jizz-box was a musical device. In 13 ABY, the protocol droid C-3PO, who was stranded on the planet of Nim Drovis, auditioned to perform at a cantina called the Wookiee's Codpiece

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
And superfans wonder why Disney axed the expanded universe.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hoping for a Jizz fusion with ragtime in the next film. Jizz-Rag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Is the music in the teaser a new track by john williams? because I really dig it and don't remember it from the other movies

• Locked thread