Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean people seem to forget FromSoftware, before being the Dark Souls company, made Armored Core, a co-op puzzle platformer game, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTsjb46ECA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I find Enchanted Arms more bewildering than Metal Gear Chaos. Edit:I'm not even going to edit that.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

From Software has a very, very weird and eclectic catalog of games that are mostly mediocre but occasionally awesome despite being terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baby Babbeh posted:

From Software has a very, very weird and eclectic catalog of games that are mostly mediocre but occasionally awesome despite being terrible.

Nexus and Last Raven are probably the only Armored Core games I can actually recommend as being outright good.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I think one of the Armored Core games lets you willingly commit mass murder and/or genocide by consciously blowing up a ship of your own people.

What a weird company.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nexus and Last Raven are probably the only Armored Core games I can actually recommend as being outright good.

Try playing armored core games that were made before two analog sticks were a thing.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I loved the first Armored Core when it came out. That said, I'll be the first to admit that, objectively speaking, it wasn't a very good game at all, and they've gotten worst since then. From Software gets props for basically inventing this style of customizable anime mech game but they've really never been very good at it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I think one of the Armored Core games lets you willingly commit mass murder and/or genocide by consciously blowing up a ship of your own people.

What a weird company.

Yeah, that was..either AC4 or For Answer. You can kill a shitload of innocents -100 million I think, and basically everyone else in the game aside from Old King drops any fighting to come after you for being a total monster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bleusilences posted:

Let's be reminded that mediocre RPG can have amazing soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRpvol2KcQE

we gotta fight now

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Silent Line was a real fun game. I didn't much care for Nexus' obsession with heat and how it replaced part variety with tuning.

I got Evergrace at the PS2 launch and somehow slogged all the way through it but drat was it bad. I recall the bonus dungeon being a desperate struggle to not fall in bottomless pits for several hours with no saving. Wasn't it supposed to be a PSX game that got a quick port when the PS2 was announced?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bleusilences posted:

Don't you be bad-mouthin' Mystic Quest motherfucker

Ciaphas posted:

we gotta fight now
but apparently there's a line to this cage match.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

Silent Line was a real fun game. I didn't much care for Nexus' obsession with heat and how it replaced part variety with tuning.

I got Evergrace at the PS2 launch and somehow slogged all the way through it but drat was it bad. I recall the bonus dungeon being a desperate struggle to not fall in bottomless pits for several hours with no saving. Wasn't it supposed to be a PSX game that got a quick port when the PS2 was announced?

Other way around; it was designed to be a PS2 launch title, and they tried to make a port to the PSX to get it out even earlier, but they decided it was too ambitious for a PSX game. Still, there's quite possibly some lingering remnants of them trying to shove it on a PSX hanging around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is the sequel any better? At the very least it can't be as fugly.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Bleusilences posted:

Noriyuki Iwadare owns

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, yes he does

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I loved the Langrisser games and finally got to play my Langrisser 4 fan translated about a year ago. I wish they had finished Langrisser 5's fan translation since it's something of a direct continuation of 4.

Speaking of games by the same artist, was that last Growlanser re-release any good? I think it came after Wayfarer of Time, which would mean Heritage of War? I seem to recall it re-used the original western release's audio and thus was an assault on your ears. But aside from that I didn't know much and never bothered with it since I still had a lot more to do in Wayfarer of Time but simply lost interest for no good reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wasn't it a re-release in the literal sense of just being the PS2 game on PSN?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh, right. Well the question still stands: was it any good? I skipped that one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I concur :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Last Raven is amazing, despite FROM basically pulling the rug out on the whole 'balance' thing they were trying to go for, but Nexus? I love all the games, but even I have to say that it's basically the worst, and you're the only person who I've ever heard say positive things about it.

Also, shoulder button controls are perfectly acceptable :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Is the sequel any better? At the very least it can't be as fugly.

The sequel was much, much worse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Last Raven is amazing, despite FROM basically pulling the rug out on the whole 'balance' thing they were trying to go for, but Nexus? I love all the games, but even I have to say that it's basically the worst, and you're the only person who I've ever heard say positive things about it.

Also, shoulder button controls are perfectly acceptable :colbert:

It was the first AC game with decent controls, plus it had a shitload of content and AC parts spread across two discs :colbert:.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was the first AC game with decent controls, plus it had a shitload of content and AC parts spread across two discs :colbert:.

Half as many parts as its predecessor is hardly a "shitload". Even Last Raven has fewer parts than Silent Line.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Half as many parts as its predecessor is hardly a "shitload". Even Last Raven has fewer parts than Silent Line.

That, and the heat mechanics from Nexus and beyond are pretty much the worst thing the series ever did. That or Last Raven's parts made out of glass, styrofoam, and duct tape.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Demonicon
http://store.steampowered.com/app/215630/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wqqEnL8Fk

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Can someone who knows Japanese make sense of this website? http://www.fezero.jp/collaboration/star_ocean_second/introduction/

Are we getting a new version of SO2 on the Vita, or is this just a collaboration with Fantasy Earth Zero?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Can someone who knows Japanese make sense of this website? http://www.fezero.jp/collaboration/star_ocean_second/introduction/

Are we getting a new version of SO2 on the Vita, or is this just a collaboration with Fantasy Earth Zero?

The website hints at a re-release of Second Evolution as a digital download for the Vita (release date still TBA), and I'm not sure what Fantasy Earth Zero is but they're having a promo where you can dress up your character like SO2 characters with voice packs and all.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Baby Babbeh posted:

I loved the first Armored Core when it came out. That said, I'll be the first to admit that, objectively speaking, it wasn't a very good game at all, and they've gotten worst since then. From Software gets props for basically inventing this style of customizable anime mech game but they've really never been very good at it.

Hmmm no

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heavy neutrino posted:

The website hints at a re-release of Second Evolution as a digital download for the Vita (release date still TBA), and I'm not sure what Fantasy Earth Zero is but they're having a promo where you can dress up your character like SO2 characters with voice packs and all.

Fantasy Earth Zero is Tri-Ace's f2p MMO thing on the Vita.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

What a weird company.

One of the first mission in the first armored core game is a company deciding that they can't be arsed to pay our construction workers higher wages so they're going to pay a guy several million dollars to kill them in his giant robot.

Reading the actual mission descriptions in Armored Core games is really depressing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the earlier AC games are pretty much unrestrained capitalism taken to a not that ridiculous extreme in the absence of any sort of strong nation-state.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Armored Core is a game about being a Pinkerton in a Gundam during the future dystopia version of the Homestead Strike.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I need to find a new rpg to play on my laptop. My laptop is a little bit slow, and while it runs some newer games like original sin, I'm in the mood for something a little older/simpler maybe. Like say a SNES/gba style rpg, maybe a little newer and a bit more complex is fine as well. I'm in a sort of numbers/spergy mood so something that doesn't have low limits/caps on grinding or your stats would be cool. I tried Tome4 and while I liked the concept as far as the class/battle system, the way it runs or graphics about it got on my nerves too bad.

I have the original divinity game but hadn't tried it yet, I'm not sure what type of game it is. I'm thinking it's a hack and slash, and those types are sort of hit or miss with me. So any suggestions with a short explanation on what sort of game it is would be awesome. I hope I explained myself well but I'm honestly not entirely sure exactly what I'm in the mood for other than what I already stated. Thanks

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I need to find a new rpg to play on my laptop. My laptop is a little bit slow, and while it runs some newer games like original sin, I'm in the mood for something a little older/simpler maybe. Like say a SNES/gba style rpg, maybe a little newer and a bit more complex is fine as well. I'm in a sort of numbers/spergy mood so something that doesn't have low limits/caps on grinding or your stats would be cool. I tried Tome4 and while I liked the concept as far as the class/battle system, the way it runs or graphics about it got on my nerves too bad.

I have the original divinity game but hadn't tried it yet, I'm not sure what type of game it is. I'm thinking it's a hack and slash, and those types are sort of hit or miss with me. So any suggestions with a short explanation on what sort of game it is would be awesome. I hope I explained myself well but I'm honestly not entirely sure exactly what I'm in the mood for other than what I already stated. Thanks

Lords Of Xulima
http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/

Paper Sorceror
http://store.steampowered.com/app/263560/

Dungeons Of Dredmor
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15933/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I really wanted to like Paper Sorcerer, but I kept running into weird "don't press confirm just before a random encounter you didn't know was coming OR ELSE!" bugs. Bugs and somewhat clunky interface aside, while it has a nice aesthetic, it broke two cardinal rules:
1) You can't name your crew. Your party members are literally job classes. Pretty much inexcusable in a Wizardry-alike where your characters' names ARE their characterization.
2) The music is Unepic levels of bad and poorly looped to boot.

I don't feel bad about the money I dropped on it because I love the premise and enjoyed what I managed to play through! I am, however, kind of disappointed that it's just too unappealing to finish.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's also really easy and kind of a slog til you get to the last area and get TPKed by swordsmen spamming running slash.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm, that Lords of Xulima game looks like it might be decent though. Has anyone tried that?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BACKLOG GAMING!!!! Some thoughts while playing Ni No Kuni. I'm at the sky pirate lair.

- I dislike games that make you wait for fast travel. At least in this game, it's only 15 hours in before you get it, and you do get a boat to travel around before then as well, but on principle, I wish I could fast travel to locations I've been to from the very start. That's more of a general issue I have with RPGs. I just can't stand overworld travel in general, in anything.

- I'm not sure if I should care about evolving my familiars. I've tried to do it maybe one per person at a time so that they stay out of battle and level up quickly, but I dunno that I really need 20 skill choices to choose from either. Shrug!!!

- This game is fuckin gorgeous and if we're being honest, I wish the Ghibli animation was up to par with the game visuals. Maybe it was just a low budget thing but the hand-drawn animation is not the level of quality I usually expect to see from that studio. Level 5 knocked it out of the park with the actual game's visuals though. The music is great too, although I wish there was more than one battle theme.

- I love that they have an unlockable jumping button and it's completely useless. I'm surprised they didn't have an unlockable roll as well. H'YAA!! HUT!! H'YAA!! HUP!!

- They go see a cat king, its like whatev, then they see a giant woman king, no big deal, oh an island that's also a woman that wants us to enter her stomach, sure sure. PIG PEOPLE???? WHWHWHWHWHW-WHAAAT!!! That sticks out to me for some reason.

- I wish there was a larger 1950s world because it looks so great. Have some rockabilly music, maybe a diner dungeon or something.

- Oliver lives in America but everyone has a british accent?????

Thanks for reading this long post. namaste

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Quest For Glory II posted:

- I'm not sure if I should care about evolving my familiars. I've tried to do it maybe one per person at a time so that they stay out of battle and level up quickly, but I dunno that I really need 20 skill choices to choose from either. Shrug!!!
Mostly no. Exception are those monolith guys near the port, who have really nice defense, and whatever random crap you happen to max before you can fly, at which point they're all obsolete and you want those badass dinosaurs on the cliffs just north of the temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

It's also really easy and kind of a slog til you get to the last area and get TPKed by swordsmen spamming running slash.

There's something really weird with the damage formula for enemy party-wide physical attacks, and unless you quickly disable enemies who can use these attacks, they'll just one-shot your entire party. It's just about the only thing that poses a real threat to you, and they're so grossly overpowered that I just feel like there's a typo somewhere.

Another thing that disappointed me was the really, really lame ending.