Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Che Delilas posted:

I play the game in spite of those things, because the gameplay is fun, challenging, and full of variety. I don't share Edmund's apparent belief that poop is the pinnacle of comedy, but it's not enough to get me to stop playing a good game.

ed actually didn't think that the original game would be popular at all due to the aesthetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I never bought the original game because I found the aesthetic too repulsive. Over time I got more desensitized to it but I still feel grossed out by the womb. Stuff like that in games always makes me feel sick.

I'd prefer it if this game had a weird aesthetic that wasn't revolting but oh well. The gameplay is good enough to make up for it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey does Cricket's Body have any interaction with Mom's Knife? In a boos rush room with either that or The Mind to choose from.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

Hey does Cricket's Body have any interaction with Mom's Knife? In a boos rush room with either that or The Mind to choose from.

I believe not, no.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Well, today I figured out that the giant hole in the wall after beating Mom is not just the exit she smashed open but the Boss Rush. This whole time I just thought it was an exit back to the level if she happened to smash the door or something. Durr

Started an Eden game with Sacred Heart which pretty much got me my first Isaac kill on him. Woo

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Genocyber posted:

Definitely try for an Isaac kill at least. That unlocks the D6 and makes it Isaac's starting item, which is really nice.

I don't think I even have a guaranteed Cathedral yet, It Lives isn't out and about.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

I never bought the original game because I found the aesthetic too repulsive. Over time I got more desensitized to it but I still feel grossed out by the womb. Stuff like that in games always makes me feel sick.

I'd prefer it if this game had a weird aesthetic that wasn't revolting but oh well. The gameplay is good enough to make up for it.

the weird thing is that this game doesn't have a host of imitators by now. only similarish games i can think of off the top of my head are risk of rain and nuclear throne

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Stokes posted:

Ludovico + Magnetic Tears + Parasite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzET6gJ8qk

:stare:

This is amazing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

the weird thing is that this game doesn't have a host of imitators by now. only similarish games i can think of off the top of my head are risk of rain and nuclear throne

There's one copycat game out there where you're a kid in an asylum or orphanage or something, but I forget what it's called.

fake edit: I looked on Steam, it's Our Darker Purpose.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah I totally take back the things I said earlier in defense of Eve. She is just way too weak. The Whore of Babylon damage boost feels like an improvement when you've been playing without it active but her base damage is so low that it doesn't hep you as much as it should. She still can't even one-shot spiders with WoB popped.

She's not absolutely terrible but she takes a lot more work to power up than I initially thought.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tollymain posted:

Our Darker Purpose is very similar, and there's A Wizard's Lizard and Runers. Saw all those on Frag's stream in the past.

If you just mean roguelikes in general, there's also FTL: Faster Than Light, which if you haven't played you need to buy and play right the gently caress now (seriously Risk of Rain is nothing like Isaac).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ror posted:

Yeah I totally take back the things I said earlier in defense of Eve. She is just way too weak. The Whore of Babylon damage boost feels like an improvement when you've been playing without it active but her base damage is so low that it doesn't hep you as much as it should. She still can't even one-shot spiders with WoB popped.

She's not absolutely terrible but she takes a lot more work to power up than I initially thought.

Yeah. I still like her better than anyone but Judas, Azazel, or Isaac w/D6 (maybe Cain too), but she does start out rather weak. Main advantage is Whore of Babylon from start and it working with 1 red heart, allowing you to keep a red heart.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Genocyber posted:

Yeah. I still like her better than anyone but Judas, Azazel, or Isaac w/D6 (maybe Cain too), but she does start out rather weak. Main advantage is Whore of Babylon from start and it working with 1 red heart, allowing you to keep a red heart.

The real trouble, which I think someone mentioned before, is keeping her at that 1 heart. Once you start to accumulate soul/sin hearts, you need to be very careful not to accidentally heal yourself (or hope for a razor or IV bag I guess). Bonus points for finding Lucky Scab or Meat or something else that adds health along with other stuff. And to top it off, she's the perfect character to take Devil Deals with, yet probably tied with Samson as least likely to get one because of how you sometimes want to take red damage. I like the idea behind her, but the execution is all messed up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Che Delilas posted:

If you just mean roguelikes in general, there's also FTL: Faster Than Light, which if you haven't played you need to buy and play right the gently caress now (seriously Risk of Rain is nothing like Isaac).

FTL is downright amazing honestly. Though it's a lot more deliberate, and pretty much requires and expects you to use the pause function to give orders unless you're a savant at the game like Lethalfrag. BOI is more twitch based, FTL is basically "dueling spreadsheets in the shape of spaceships" (which is a lot more fun than it sounds). Just remember that "Easy" is normal, "Normal" is hard, and "Hard" is "Welcome to the S.S. Dickpunch." Also, remember that unlike in BOI there's really no such thing as a "carry item" besides maybe the Zoltan Super Shield (which is hands down the best augment in the game).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Alkydere posted:

FTL is downright amazing honestly. Though it's a lot more deliberate, and pretty much requires and expects you to use the pause function to give orders unless you're a savant at the game like Lethalfrag. BOI is more twitch based, FTL is basically "dueling spreadsheets in the shape of spaceships" (which is a lot more fun than it sounds). Just remember that "Easy" is normal, "Normal" is hard, and "Hard" is "Welcome to the S.S. Dickpunch." Also, remember that unlike in BOI there's really no such thing as a "carry item" besides maybe the Zoltan Super Shield (which is hands down the best augment in the game).

Flak Cannon is the carry item.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nastyman posted:

The real trouble, which I think someone mentioned before, is keeping her at that 1 heart. Once you start to accumulate soul/sin hearts, you need to be very careful not to accidentally heal yourself (or hope for a razor or IV bag I guess). Bonus points for finding Lucky Scab or Meat or something else that adds health along with other stuff. And to top it off, she's the perfect character to take Devil Deals with, yet probably tied with Samson as least likely to get one because of how you sometimes want to take red damage. I like the idea behind her, but the execution is all messed up.

IV Bag is one of my favorite spacebar items on both Eve and Samson.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Ror posted:

Eve with Whore active actually has the same modifier as Isaac so she's literally doing the same damage (5.86 per tear) with it as Isaac. Isaac doesn't one-shot spiders with only +1.5 damage

source: extensive testing in cheatengine.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Man, it feels like Key Beggars are stupidly voracious for their payouts. I had the Skeleton Key so I kept throwing them at him. He took around 45 keys with like 6 or 7 payouts only in return.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

goodness posted:

Flak Cannon is the carry item.

3x/4x Flack Cannon I/Burst Laser II is the carry item. A single one of either is merely good.

Also, hah, Chaos Card + Blank Card. "What boss?"

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So I needed a Lamb kill on Cain, and even though I was getting mediocre items I stuck with it because I scored a Chaos Card early on. Figured I was at least powerful enough to get there, spent time hoping for a blank card for boss murders but didn't find one. Slowly made my way to the Lamb, ran at him and hit Q... and he bumped me and turned me around before it fired and I threw it the wrong direction. At that point I was down to 3 red hearts and didn't last long. Dead Cat brought me back a few times but with one heart and being super slow due to Thunder Thighs, I gave up and restarted.

2nd run, had a blank card on the first or 2nd level. Kept it to almost the end, never had a card better than Hierophant to use. I did have Ipecacc though, and the Habit, so I figured I had a good chance. Found Tammy's Head in Sheol, but it was a little lackluster (and dangerous) with Ipecacc. Oh well, picked the blank card back up. Found a Joker card and 2 Health Up pills just before Satan, used the Joker, and there was a beautiful Brimstone in the Devil Room. Ran back to get Tammy, took the pills so Brimstone was effectively free, and pillaged my way to the end with Tammy/Habit blastorama.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Wow, Cricket Body + Monstro's Lung + a bunch of damage upgrades is pretty great. Vomit a huge cloud of red that just gets bigger and bigger as it hits things!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

strangemusic posted:

Wow, Cricket Body + Monstro's Lung + a bunch of damage upgrades is pretty great. Vomit a huge cloud of red that just gets bigger and bigger as it hits things!

Oh yeah? How about Monstro's Lung + Rubber Cement + The Parasite + Cricket's Body??? :shepface:

Every shot bounces and splits into two small bouncing shots that split into four smaller bouncing shots. Add max Tears and Damage to liquify everything, including ???, in less than 3 seconds.

e: they're shielded and poisonous, too

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

HGH posted:

Man, it feels like Key Beggars are stupidly voracious for their payouts. I had the Skeleton Key so I kept throwing them at him. He took around 45 keys with like 6 or 7 payouts only in return.

Do they even 'pop' and give a pedestal item? I can only remember shoving keys into their face and getting chests in return until I get bored and blow him up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They do, but if they draw from a specific item pool, I don't know what it is.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

drunken officeparty posted:

Do they even 'pop' and give a pedestal item? I can only remember shoving keys into their face and getting chests in return until I get bored and blow him up.

I've popped them, yeah. Their most common pop drops the paperclip trinket instead of a pedestal, but they can leave a pedestal (usually Mom's Key, once was Distant Admiration). The chests are the main payout, though, since those can pop full items themselves.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Do they even 'pop' and give a pedestal item?

I have experienced that happening with them exactly once. Given how valuable keys are, it really isn't worth it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

They do, but it seems a bit rarer than the key beggar or devil beggar. If you have loads of keys or the skeleton key is usually the only time they're worth it though, they can poo poo out a ton of chests, but they could just as equally waste all your keys too.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

I am more inclined to treat Key Beggars as Bomb Beggars. They pay out much more efficiently that way.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Can the Holy Mantle negate Sharp Plug damage? As in, can you use it in a manner similar to the Scapular trick, by walking in and out of a room to recharge it so you can infinitely reroll items? I'm in the Chest again and I have Epic Fetus, the Wafer, and the Sharp Plug, and one of the first four chests has Holy Mantle in it, so I'm tempted to try.

e: The answer is no. Goddamnit just let me get the set up for rerolling the Manual, this is so aggravating.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 1, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I just watched the Northernlion run where he got Ipecac + Sad Bombs + Bob's Brain + Rubber Cement.

:laffo:

Every time the brain hit something it exploded into eight giant ipecac shots that bounced off the walls and exploded in his face.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just finished chest with hard mode Lost for the first time, and it was without soul mantle/cheesing too. Just had to get that off my chest because I sure as poo poo probably tried at least 400 times and it finally clicked. What a ridiculously difficult character. I doubt I can do the dark room without mantle though unless I get carried harder than ever before.

e: Had epic fetus/pyro and dead cat. Burned through 8 or 9 lives on the run. Didn't keep exact score.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 1, 2014

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

hahahahahaha nothing like having a baller run through Womb II with 11 heart containers and using an unknown pill that ends up being Hematemesis and only drops 1 heart :suicide:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I just watched the Northernlion run where he got Ipecac + Sad Bombs + Bob's Brain + Rubber Cement.

:laffo:

Every time the brain hit something it exploded into eight giant ipecac shots that bounced off the walls and exploded in his face.

link?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Che Delilas posted:

Our Darker Purpose is very similar, and there's A Wizard's Lizard and Runers. Saw all those on Frag's stream in the past.

Randomly determined powerups, general action-y play, whatever v:v:v

thanks for the recs tho

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I have to say the d6 room that rerolls you is seriously a death sentence sometimes. I was in sheol and I had a relatively easy win ahead of me. I had death scytes and a nice fire rate and screw it and it hosed me hard. It gave me ipecac, monstro lung, bob's brain, my reflection and the god forsaken cursed eye. My tears took forever to fire, and when the charged shot finally came out a huge amount of bombs came flying back at my face. Thankfully, I had a full set of orbitals and I found pyro in the dark room. Since, I basically could keep healing myself I just kept teleporting around the dark room trying to not get hit. Finally, I figured out if I didn't fire I couldn't teleport out so I just stood still and let my familiars kill the lamb. In short I hate the cursed eye. It literally just is out to ruin a run.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Good god I hate brimstone and any charged shot item. It wouldn't be so loving terrible if it wasn't bugged to hell for me and doesn't charge right half the time or fires by itself for no reason.

What platform are you playing on? Brimstone's insanely good in this game and not buggy whatsoever in my experience.

Logan 5 posted:

Can the Holy Mantle negate Sharp Plug damage? As in, can you use it in a manner similar to the Scapular trick, by walking in and out of a room to recharge it so you can infinitely reroll items? I'm in the Chest again and I have Epic Fetus, the Wafer, and the Sharp Plug, and one of the first four chests has Holy Mantle in it, so I'm tempted to try.

e: The answer is no. Goddamnit just let me get the set up for rerolling the Manual, this is so aggravating.

I hope you rerolled the rest of the chests down to your last half heart, a Pyromaniac there (provided you don't roll the Manual first and can't deposit it in another Chest room where a spacebar item drops) puts you right in the promised land.

When setting up the Manual stuff, even though you've got more drops that can set up the loop if you start with Pyromaniac (Ipecac/Dr. Fetus/Epic Fetus/kinda Pyro) I feel like rerolling until you get a first treasure room Epic Fetus is a way better deal. You can shred through full floors easy, take as much as you want from donation machines, guarantee that you'll get to the Chest with a whole bunch of health because of how broken it still is, and even do the waiting game with Placenta if it drops for your infinite health loop. When I've started with a first room Pyromaniac it's been a slog.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

weaaddar posted:

I have to say the d6 room that rerolls you is seriously a death sentence sometimes. I was in sheol and I had a relatively easy win ahead of me. I had death scytes and a nice fire rate and screw it and it hosed me hard. It gave me ipecac, monstro lung, bob's brain, my reflection and the god forsaken cursed eye. My tears took forever to fire, and when the charged shot finally came out a huge amount of bombs came flying back at my face. Thankfully, I had a full set of orbitals and I found pyro in the dark room. Since, I basically could keep healing myself I just kept teleporting around the dark room trying to not get hit. Finally, I figured out if I didn't fire I couldn't teleport out so I just stood still and let my familiars kill the lamb. In short I hate the cursed eye. It literally just is out to ruin a run.

Yeah I wouldn't take it if you have a really good run going already. I figure it's mostly there for if you're at the depths or something else later in the game and still have damage low enough that you have to use multiple tears to kill red spiders.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Here ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've had a key beggar drop me the good yellow attack fly that's very aggressive once.