Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'll agree with 3DS Olimar being a lower tier and I'll even place him as the worst character.

I think Luigi is the worst character in both games, but it's close. Luigi is worthless and you can't even play on your opponent's ignorance because it's not like he's a complicated character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jivjov posted:

Home button, controller settings for Gamepad

If you're using a GameCube adapter, unplug the grey cable.

Thanks.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

jivjov posted:

Home button, controller settings for Gamepad

If you're using a GameCube adapter, unplug the grey cable.

Can also disable rumble in the controls settings menu in the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Peewi posted:

Can also disable rumble in the controls settings menu in the game.

You can? That I did not know!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I think Luigi is the worst character in both games, but it's close. Luigi is worthless and you can't even play on your opponent's ignorance because it's not like he's a complicated character.

I'd agree with that before the chaingrab was found.

Now Luigi is just kinda a binary character who either gets his chaingrab then gets a lot of free percentage into a potential killing mixup or he just flounders and fails because he dies at basically whatever percentage he gets knocked off the stage at because his recovery is awful and begs to get gimped to death.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I want to get good at Greninja. Can anyone help me with advice on getting good with Greninja.

(i don't actually have the wiiu version yet but i assume any advice would also help for 3ds)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Color Printer posted:

I want to get good at Greninja. Can anyone help me with advice on getting good with Greninja.

(i don't actually have the wiiu version yet but i assume any advice would also help for 3ds)

Down aerial all day every day.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Learn how to chase and mix-up after your attacks. Greninja doesn't have a lot of good setups into true combos (especially in 1.0.4, which took away assured follow ups after u-tilt at most percentages and Shadow Sneak at all percentages) but Greninja has a LOT of moves that leave him in a good position to force the opponent to make a decision and punish them for it. The best Greninjas I've seen spend large portions of the match linking the opponent into 'bad position' scenarios one after another and rarely, if ever, let their opponent get back to neutral footing. Pressure, chase, and get in your opponent's head.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

You can? That I did not know!

Yeah, but I believe it's tied to a name.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's hard to imagine a worse standard for a four player match than 2 minutes timed. I don't get why Nintendo doesn't realize this.

3 stock supremacy! Make it timed if you have to so people don't camp.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I find that 3-stock takes a bit too long. 2 is more like it, for me. Maybe with a 3 or 4 min time limit.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

RyokoTK posted:

This is absolute blasphemy.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Timed means everyone plays the same amount. You don't end up with one person getting beaten a minute in and having to watch as every one else plays.

1v1 doesn't have that problem, but smash has never treated it any differently from full matches so I see why they went with it.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

What's a good way to avoid a Ganondorf Side-B? Even if I know it's coming, I can never seem to spot-dodge it. Is it even dodgeable, or do I just need to get better at spacing?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I guess tonight is one of those nights were literally everybody online is able to two stock me with little to no effort at all.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Dad Jokes posted:

What's a good way to avoid a Ganondorf Side-B? Even if I know it's coming, I can never seem to spot-dodge it. Is it even dodgeable, or do I just need to get better at spacing?

It's not as if it goes particularly far. You can probably roll faster and farther than his side-b will travel, away or towards him, or jump in the air. Walking is another option if he's using it at a distance.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dad Jokes posted:

I don't know about side-B but if you're a short character you can just duck underneath a lot of Ganondorf's moves. Ducking is my new favorite element to explore. If Ganondorf's side-b is started close to you you might be able to roll through it, since rolling away from it will get you caught.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I watched a guy win with luigi on a tournament on twitch, therefore he's actually really good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mabels big day posted:

I watched a guy win with luigi on a tournament on twitch, therefore he's actually really good.

If you're watching the same tournament that I am, a guy played as Luigi and clowned some terrible DK.

On a related note, Mew2King is still an autistic manchild.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Everyone who plays Smash at a tournament level is an autistic manchild.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Everyone who plays Smash is an autistic manchild.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Any advice on Zelda? She seems to suck this time and all of her moves are predictable and her side b is kinda slow.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

If you're watching the same tournament that I am, a guy played as Luigi and clowned some terrible DK.

On a related note, Mew2King is still an autistic manchild.

it was a tournament like last week.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hate the dependency the game still has in the Gamepad. I can't use Amiibos without it and the GC controller only works in-game, so I have to use some other controller (or just the Gamepad) to start the game.Give me a GC controller with NFC in the middle for Amiibos and a power button on the back.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Everyone who plays Smash at a tournament level is an autistic manchild.

this coming from someone complaining he can't use his pikachu toy in the game more easily

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MinibarMatchman posted:

this coming from someone complaining he can't use his pikachu toy in the game more easily

All goons are autistic manchildren, don't go down this road homie.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im handsome and well adjusted, don't know about you guys

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, I play Smash a tournament level too.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
this is how you do custom stages, right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9VAl_Qkjg

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So I beat Event Mode, getting most of the rewards. Some didn't require a particular difficulty, so I did them on normal or easy. Do you a) get anything for getting all the rewards, and b) beating them all on Hard?

I still have to play Smash Board game or whatever two more times, then it's time to go after challenges. Not looking forward to beating Classic and All Star and every Stadium game with 51 characters :suicide:

...and whatever Order battles get you AND getting all the custom moves/clothes/hats. God drat it.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 1, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ahahaha, I just won (with reward conditions) the Event where you have to beat giant Bowser as tiny Olimar, because he Bowsercided us through the breakable floor of the Pikmin stage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

im handsome and well adjusted, don't know about you guys

This but unironically.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Who does Mew2King play in this game? That's my new main.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Sade posted:

Sonic and Diddy.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Sade posted:

I'm gonna blindly guess Sheik, Rosalina, or Diddy Kong for the sassy joke option. Those all seem like rear end in a top hat characters that tourney people would use.
e: not that tourney players are assholes, just that they seem predisposed to using rear end in a top hat characters.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cicadas! posted:

I'm gonna blindly guess Sheik, Rosalina, or Diddy Kong for the sassy joke option. Those all seem like rear end in a top hat characters that tourney people would use.
e: not that tourney players are assholes, just that they seem like they have a predisposition to using rear end in a top hat characters.

He mains Diddy first, Sonic second, and apparently keeps Rosa as a pocket character.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

2 out of 3, not bad. :v:
Sonic is unexpected, though. Is it because most of his attacks seem to have stupidly good priority?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Cicadas! posted:

Sonic is unexpected, though. Is it because most of his attacks seem to have stupidly good priority?

It's because Sonic can run away the easiest.

Watch M2K play any high-stakes match and he'll abuse the ledge invincibility as much as he can if he thinks he needs to. Since that isn't a thing in Smash 4, straight-up running away will give him all the space he needs.

That, and, Sonic is legit if you know how to use him.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Cicadas! posted:

Sonic gets combos off hits from his specials pretty easily. His speed also means he usually gets to decide when the fighting actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm curious if anyone has any tips for Marth. I've got about a 60% win rate with him but I feel like he doesn't have any good combos, or killing moves that aren't smashes.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to prevent Palutena from following up with aerials after her down throw? It feels like it's loving impossible to recover, regardless of what percentage you're at.

• Locked thread