Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Pussy Snorkel posted:

You seem really salty about GPs and the cube and you're wrong on both accounts.

I like unnecessary personal attacks as much as the next person, but instead maybe you could throw out some evidence disputing some of his claims? Or even a personal anecdote about how you like the new cube? I haven't played it myself, and I find posts warning me not to because it's awful to be pretty helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivial Perusal
Apr 5, 2011
So I recently started on MTGO and its nice having time to do actual drafts against people but I keep getting my rear end kicked. I hadn't really done competitive drafts before but I'd watched streams/read stuff so I thought I had a fair grasp of KTK drafts. Went 1-1 in some phantom drafts, but both real drafts I've done have been 0-3. First one I went 4 color which was a horrible idea but I dd win one game, this second draft I thought I picked better but never won a game and only one was remotely close. Its fun but Id like to put up a fight once in a while.

This is the deck from my second draft, wondering if anyone has any advice about why its construction could be better or if I'm just bad

Like I said I thought this deck was better than the first and I dont think I played horribly. Around turn 4 or 5 my opponents who all had WB with some splash would just drop high toughness creatures and pretty much cut off my offense. The aspirants were alright but not great, trumpet blast got sided out for bell strike every time, and I would've liked more fliers but I dont remember seeing a whole lot of them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Trivial Perusal posted:

So I recently started on MTGO and its nice having time to do actual drafts against people but I keep getting my rear end kicked. I hadn't really done competitive drafts before but I'd watched streams/read stuff so I thought I had a fair grasp of KTK drafts. Went 1-1 in some phantom drafts, but both real drafts I've done have been 0-3. First one I went 4 color which was a horrible idea but I dd win one game, this second draft I thought I picked better but never won a game and only one was remotely close. Its fun but Id like to put up a fight once in a while.

This is the deck from my second draft, wondering if anyone has any advice about why its construction could be better or if I'm just bad

Like I said I thought this deck was better than the first and I dont think I played horribly. Around turn 4 or 5 my opponents who all had WB with some splash would just drop high toughness creatures and pretty much cut off my offense. The aspirants were alright but not great, trumpet blast got sided out for bell strike every time, and I would've liked more fliers but I dont remember seeing a whole lot of them.

I think you don't play the Sagu Mauler in this deck; it seems better to play the leaping master. Mauler is sweet but 2 green sources is not nearly enough to splash it imo. Your deck doesn't seem phenomenal but I don't see how you didn't at least 2-1 with it, it's got a good strategy and all the cards in it are pretty good. Maybe you would've been better served with a swift kick instead of the rush of battle? I'm not entirely sure.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Went 6-3 day one (4-3 in played rounds) at gpsa.

Lost to uw heroic, abzan x 2, beat mardu, naya, jeskai deck wins and mono white soldiers (lol)

Honestly once they moved byes to an annual system its not really terribly hard to have one or two. Given three only comes from pro player club levels I don't think that the advantage 3 byes gives you is unfair.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Trivial Perusal posted:

Alright, well, Firehoof Cavalry is utterly unplayable. Sagu Mauler and Pearl Lake Ancient are both pretty bad in the deck; hitting green for the former and double blue for the latter is quite difficult, and this deck doesn't need a slow 7 drop to close out a game. Bring in Canyon Lurkers, Leaping Master, and Sage-Eye Harrier.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Yeah I hate this Cube too. Not sure I can put my finger on why specifically, I'm just having far less fun than I usually do. Looking forward to the holiday Cube though.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Pussy Snorkel posted:

You seem really salty about GPs and the cube and you're wrong on both accounts.

I've never played in a GP and have no opinions on them whatsoever, what are you talking about? Did someone who looks like me accidentally kick your puppy or something?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I Love You! posted:

I've never played in a GP and have no opinions on them whatsoever, what are you talking about? Did someone who looks like me accidentally kick your puppy or something?

He thinks you and I are the same person right now. It's okay though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm spoiled by powered cubes, having one sitting on my desk next to me as I write this, but I factor that bias into my evaluation. I think this cube's pretty fun, I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from. Not as fun as powered cube, but enjoyable enough that I've been drafting half a dozen queues a day since it came out.

While Mono Red is arguably very strong, it's not unbeatable. There is ONE specific build that's unbeatable, but it requires a very specific drafting strategy from your first pick (basically all burn with like 8 specific creatures and token generator spells). Otherwise, it's a glass cannon; it OFTEN wins, but it can also be smashed and completely locked out by turn 3 if your opponent has the right opening to counter it or put on opposing pressure.

I could go on about 3 or 4 other viable archetypes I've both won with and been crushed by, but the point is that they're there. Maybe it's boring BECAUSE you're forcing red every time and perhaps getting some good luck to get that win rate you claim. Are you in the Swiss queues where the other players aren't as strong as those in the 8-4 queues? Maybe those times you don't make the finals you're, again, FORCING red. You're not really drafting, you're just rolling the dice to see if you get passed enough strong cards to win with.

I play red a LOT, because it's often left wide open, but I also know when it's not going to be strong enough and switch to another strategy.

If red was really so unbelievably broken, it wouldn't be as open as you claim (my experience is that it's only available a little over half the time, but that's in the 8-4s....it was much more open in the first few days of the cube before everyone started to catch on). I highly suspect there's more than a little confirmation bias at work here.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wizards is bad at making Cubes because the prioritize cards they want to highlight over a balanced format.

Oh also they make very bad decisions like cutting Swords, leaving Jitte, etc.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Cutting swords and leaving Jitte is honestly the funniest decision of all. "Yeah these powerful equipment things are too one-dimensional for our cube. So let's make sure only one person gets one, and only the very best of them."

What

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I Love You! posted:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He thinks you and I are the same person right now. It's okay though.

Yeah, that's my mistake. Please pretend my GP comment was directed at Errant Gin Monks and carry on.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I Love You! posted:

Cutting swords and leaving Jitte is honestly the funniest decision of all. "Yeah these powerful equipment things are too one-dimensional for our cube. So let's make sure only one person gets one, and only the very best of them."

What

Their argument is basically "Jitte has a consistent power level, while Swords are way more powerful against certain archetypes". For Body/Mind, I don't disagree at all, but Jitte is ridiculously powerful compared to even a color hosing Fire/Ice!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Niton posted:

Their argument is basically "Jitte has a consistent power level, while Swords are way more powerful against certain archetypes". For Body/Mind, I don't disagree at all, but Jitte is ridiculously powerful compared to even a color hosing Fire/Ice!

Yeah I mean Body/Mind is probably the least fun card imagineable to play against and interacts very poorly with draft format, I won't deny that, but at the end of the day you aren't beating a Jitte or a Fire/Ice either regardless of your color (barring topdeck artifact removal or putting the game away on the spot) so it's not like it ultimately matters.

Reducing game-winning windmill slam equipment to a 1-of is just silly and encourages LESS maindeck artifact removal meaning it's even stronger by comparison. At least with the full cadre of swords you knew you'd be seeing them eventually and would plan accordingly (and everyone else had to as well).

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
As someone who's been X-Jitte over my last three drafts I support all bitching about that card. Jitte is even stronger now than it was before since there's so much more "fair" magic being played. Also the mono-red deck is the best deck in the cube, the most supported, the easiest to draft, and the least fun to play, which is a pretty crappy combination.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Trivial Perusal posted:

All I want is to watch players who take draft too seriously lose to this as you curve out from firehoof cavalry to pearl lake ancient. That's all I want for christmas.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Watching the SCG Quarterfinals on replay, the G/R player made the worst, most baffling play I've ever seen. He attacks with a Polukranos, opponent blocks with Doomwake. Main phase 2 he plays a second Polukranos, first one dies to Legend rule, passes.

What?

Edit: I'd like to add that it probably also cost him the game as his opponent resolved a Hornet Queen later and multiple Polukranos is probably his only way of taking out multiple insects.

That build he's playing looks terrible. I can't believe he made top 8.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
uh, any deck running 4x Hornet Nest is A Good Deck. He just took out the Chords for more Dragons and Polukranos. The aggro Rabblemaster sideboard is neat too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Equilibrium posted:

uh, any deck running 4x Hornet Nest is A Good Deck.
'Still Had All Bees' is the best magic deck name in ages.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I love how they just took Roc Egg and made it super good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If i control a hardened scales and a doubling season, and I cast a spike feeder, whats the maximum number of counters I can end up with when it enters?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spiderdrake posted:

'Still Had All Bees' is the best magic deck name in ages.

Sidisi Whip deck had 10 Hornet Queen ETB triggers in one game, counting hardcasts, and whip-backs (enabled with help from Soul of Innistrad).

That is All the Bees

Edit:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If i control a hardened scales and a doubling season, and I cast a spike feeder, whats the maximum number of counters I can end up with when it enters?

They're replacement effects looking at the same action of 'place two tokens', so they each get one bite of the apple. You can order it (reverse, but so they resolve this way)

Hardened Scales (Was 2, now it's 3)
Doubling Season (Was 3, now it's 6)

OR

Doubling Season (Was 2, now it's 4)
Hardened Scales (Was 4, now it's 5)

So, it's 5 or 6 depending on how you order it.

Devor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 1, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

6, if you have hardened scales resolve first.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I Love You! posted:

6, if you have hardened scales resolve first.

This is correct

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Careful not to throw around "resolve" too loosely. Resolving is what an object on the stack does. Both Hardened Scales and Doubling Season are replacement effects and are applied immediately (albeit, in the order you choose) without use of the stack and cannot be responded to.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Neat, thanks folks. Might come in handy if I decide to build Spikes for my shop's bad tribal league.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neat, thanks folks. Might come in handy if I decide to build Spikes for my shop's bad tribal league.

Tribal huh?

So, how long did it take for Merfolk to get banned for being too good?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I thought the consensus on the Legacy Cube once the changelist was posted was that RDW was significantly weakened (deliberately so, by Wizards) to the point of hardly being viable without a splash except in extreme circumstances when the packs and other player choices lined up just right. Now it's not only the best archetype, but capable of supporting multiple drafters in the same pod?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Equilibrium posted:

uh, any deck running 4x Hornet Nest is A Good Deck. He just took out the Chords for more Dragons and Polukranos. The aggro Rabblemaster sideboard is neat too.

Nest is terrible. Queen is the best card in standard when it's cast.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Except for the part where turn 3 nest makes any green deck sweat lead.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Tribal huh?

So, how long did it take for Merfolk to get banned for being too good?

Merfolk, white soldiers, blue wizards, red goblins, white clerics, elementals and one or two more are banned, and you have to use at least 25 creatures in the deck of your chosen tribe. Modern manabases but creatures of your tribe can be from any set. It's pretty fun, though I haven't done it much. I borrowed a knights deck yesterday and only lost a handful of games, went undefeated in matches. Knights is super strong in a closed meta like that, but a lot of people have fun trying to get creative with combos or cheating creatures out. I know at least one person was running eldrazi with 4 each of the big 3, with a combo that let him cheat them in on t3 sometimes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Merfolk, white soldiers, blue wizards, red goblins, white clerics, elementals and one or two more are banned, and you have to use at least 25 creatures in the deck of your chosen tribe. Modern manabases but creatures of your tribe can be from any set. It's pretty fun, though I haven't done it much. I borrowed a knights deck yesterday and only lost a handful of games, went undefeated in matches. Knights is super strong in a closed meta like that, but a lot of people have fun trying to get creative with combos or cheating creatures out. I know at least one person was running eldrazi with 4 each of the big 3, with a combo that let him cheat them in on t3 sometimes.

Do UB rogues using fairies and goblins. There are some really fun interactions.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are they using the Modern banlist? If not, you can probably crush people with Horror Manaless Dredge. That deck is so much fun in Legacy Tribal Wars.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I assume all non-tribe cards have to be modern legal, not just the lands?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Be sure to let Caleb Durward know that.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

I played the weirdest version of this, we only had to have 20 creatures. I went with Praetor tribal and ran a sick reanimation strategy.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Actual selfish realtalk change of directions:

Are there any other dudes here who are going to PT DC? I am in a weird spot where I don't really have a team or a crew, have recently moved to a new town, don't really have a LGS I go to, and don't have much of a history in the format we're going to be playing (Modern). I need to eventually start structured testing and putting together target decklists for this event unless I want to completely punt the entire thing, and for all my hyperbolizing I really would like to play to win, however unlikely that might be.

Since I mostly play online I can definitely get the practice time I need in, and I have access to the digital cards I would need, but since I don't have any paper cards I really need to test the gently caress out of whatever decks I want to play in advance before somehow acquiring the poo poo in real life.

What I'm saying is I'm going to need playtesting/deckbuilding buddies soon, is anyone in the same boat/interested?

Hey mate, I'm going to PT DC as well - while I can't promise I'll be extremely useful I'm happy to test some modern over MODO. Send me a PM!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I thought the consensus on the Legacy Cube once the changelist was posted was that RDW was significantly weakened (deliberately so, by Wizards) to the point of hardly being viable without a splash except in extreme circumstances when the packs and other player choices lined up just right. Now it's not only the best archetype, but capable of supporting multiple drafters in the same pod?

They said that, and then they did the opposite basically!

Sure, they removed ball lightning and a few other cards with many red symbols, but left in all the nukes, R and RR creatures, added back in other extremely powerful (and hard to interact with) RDW wincons like Fireblast and Shrine of Burning Rage (which is almost unstoppable now since with Swords gone, very few people maindeck much dedicated artifact removal), and nerfed other strats quite hard with their removal of various power cards and narrow wincons. Most decks have maybe one out to either a Shrine or a Sulfuric Vortex, cards that red absolutely does not need to win but that tend to steal the majority of games they are played on curve at no real opportunity cost.

Buffing Red + More slow/hard to cast gold cards + Cube card pool moving toward midrange durdle without making that strat any stronger = RDW (and to a lesser degree RU tempo) preys on most other decks without all that much competition. It's honestly quite shocking how weak many previously decent strats feel in the current cube - you still do the sort of stuff you've always done, it just takes too long to really take control of a game, and by then aggro or RU tempo has you down to 4 life and you're 1 topdeck from death at best.

Dualcaster Mage is also absolutely bonkers in decks that can run it so it gets one of the best new additions on top of everything else (even though it's better in tempo than RDW which might not bother with it)

Some more words on it here http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/silvestri-says-cube-v2/

edit: Red is not unbeatable! They're just very, very consistently strong and tend to have great matchups against most of the types of decks this cube supports. There really isn't a deck that preys on RDW. Maybe Kor Firewalker needs to make an appearance? I've tried over and over to build recursion-based decks that play Thragtusk and Kitchen Finks over and over again to attempt to gain value and outheal the red decks while trading and it just isn't fast enough. Vortex and Shrine are just too much and the deck can handily kill you before you get an engine rolling, even if you are running a Pod build.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 1, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So not having to play is better then actually playing and winning and that's stupid.

I agree here. Not playing should never, under any circumstance, be better than playing. Use only OMW% from round 3 and later for everyone, or consider the 'opponents' they 'beat' to have lost every round. (The former is probably a better solution)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

Keiya posted:

I agree here. Not playing should never, under any circumstance, be better than playing. Use only OMW% from round 3 and later for everyone, or consider the 'opponents' they 'beat' to have lost every round. (The former is probably a better solution)

And it isn't, because people who never play don't get byes (nowadays, since there's no rating that doesn't decay)

• Locked thread