Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

After dicking around and downloading a few different cheat files, I finally got Donkey Kong Country Returns working with a classic controller. It is AWESOME.

It also means that I have a run button again, instead of the slightly odd "move nunchuck stick to run" that threw me off earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hedrigall posted:

Why hasn't anyone done a Tropical Freeze LP yet?

It's a challenging game and people will endlessly moan about any player who can't effortlessly 100% it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Why hasn't anyone done a Tropical Freeze LP yet?
Because its a game for cool people, and cool people do not make or watch LPs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

God drat, W101 is frustrating. Trying to block attacks is annoying when their "tells" sometimes take so long to execute. Or if they sometimes rush at you from off-camera. The special level in Chapter 001-A was kind of some bullshit.

You shouldn't be letting enemies get off-camera in the first place

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

homeless snail posted:

Hey!

I resemble that remark

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

homeless snail posted:

The man has a point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a challenging game and people will endlessly moan about any player who can't effortlessly 100% it?

I never understand this myself. I watch Game Grumps and Yogscast, and the best thing about them playing these games is they are loving terrible at them. Like the Grumps are currently playing through Tropical Freeze and they are as bad as you would imagine (especially since they are doing co op). I think it's WAY more entertaining to watch someone who is bad at platformers than it is to watch someone easily breeze through the game. I'll never understand why people get mad at LPers for not being better at a particular game. If you want to watch the game being played at the level you think it should be played, just play the game yourself!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There are so many Tropical Freeze LPs on YouTube what the hell y'all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I never understand this myself. I watch Game Grumps and Yogscast, and the best thing about them playing these games is they are loving terrible at them. Like the Grumps are currently playing through Tropical Freeze and they are as bad as you would imagine (especially since they are doing co op). I think it's WAY more entertaining to watch someone who is bad at platformers than it is to watch someone easily breeze through the game. I'll never understand why people get mad at LPers for not being better at a particular game. If you want to watch the game being played at the level you think it should be played, just play the game yourself!

I find it pretty tedious when LPers are bad at games in a way which misrepresents the game. That's largely just because if any popular LPer does it, you inevitably have a bunch of people who never played the game who talk about the 'flaws' which end up being the LPers fault as something wrong with the game.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ImpAtom posted:

I find it pretty tedious when LPers are bad at games in a way which misrepresents the game. That's largely just because if any popular LPer does it, you inevitably have a bunch of people who never played the game who talk about the 'flaws' which end up being the LPers fault as something wrong with the game.

I've never heard this type of argument before, but then again, I don't discuss games outside of SA, really. The only LPer I watch is dashiegames and sometimes runJDrun, but dashie sucks major rear end at Mario kart and it's funny.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got the nintendo sports digitally through the free game reward with mario kart 8. It asks me to register it on club nintendo. How do I find the code or is it just taunting me? Thanks

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Attach your network id to your club nintendo, then all downloaded games get registered automatically.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

I've never heard this type of argument before, but then again, I don't discuss games outside of SA, really. The only LPer I watch is dashiegames and sometimes runJDrun, but dashie sucks major rear end at Mario kart and it's funny.

In other words, if some popular LPer played a game like Wonderful 101 and sucked royally, their fans are going to get the impression that the game is impossible and not worth playing, never actually finding out that it's a game with a lot of depth and complexity that takes time and practice to master.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

In other words, if some popular LPer played a game like Wonderful 101 and sucked royally, their fans are going to get the impression that the game is impossible and not worth playing, never actually finding out that it's a game with a lot of depth and complexity that takes time and practice to master.

I feel like most blind LPs benefit from having a buddy tag along that knows the game. So rather than having DSP smash his face against a wall and whine, you can have the expert keep them on track a little bit.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

Attach your network id to your club nintendo, then all downloaded games get registered automatically.

This has already been done but still asks me to register.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

homeless snail posted:

Ouch, dude.

For me, it's a matter of there being too much content in Tropical Freeze with not enough to talk about. There's a lot of really clever elements in the level design for both of Retro's DKC games, but it's a lot of the same set of ideas. I don't think I'd be able to consistently lay down unique commentary for each level.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Target is running a deal this week where you can trade in a used game and get trade in value + 20% off a new game. Pretty good deal if someone is looking to pickup smash brothers or something. I didn't really know that Target had a trade-in program, but if you also have a red card you could get 20% off $60 and 5% off that comes to ~$48, take off another $3 or so for the trade-in value(more if you have a fairly new game) and you're looking at a decent deal. The only catch is that the game has to be in Target's trade-in catalog.

Here's the catalog:
http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/search/1/cat/video_games/

Quite a few games in there, including some old rock band games that no one probably plays anymore.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ultigonio posted:

Ouch, dude.

For me, it's a matter of there being too much content in Tropical Freeze with not enough to talk about. There's a lot of really clever elements in the level design for both of Retro's DKC games, but it's a lot of the same set of ideas. I don't think I'd be able to consistently lay down unique commentary for each level.

Why does an LP need to have unique commentary on the levels? Some of my favourite LPs here on SA are just a bunch of people chilling out, talking about whatever, but also talking about the game when there's something to say.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Hedrigall posted:

Why does an LP need to have unique commentary on the levels? Some of my favourite LPs here on SA are just a bunch of people chilling out, talking about whatever, but also talking about the game when there's something to say.

Not to get too far off track but some viewers prefer the commentators to be on-topic the entire time. Like you, I don't mind peeps chilling out when they are interesting personalities but I can understand when someone is coming to watch a Donkey Kong LP then gets put off by the people not even talking about the game. You really gotta lean for one side or the other when doing it or just be that drat good to strike the balance and still please the viewer.

I guess what I'm saying is, everyone should experience Tropical Freeze for their own selves

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I should probably get Tropical Freeze, it has coop right? My wife says 3D movement is too hard

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Tropical Freeze in itself is pretty darn tough, but it is co-op. Depending on how you guys play co-op, it'll either be a great experience, or an absolutely horrifying one.

Hedrigall posted:

Because that's how I prefer to make my LPs. I'm absolute garbage at chilling out with a group of people. I'm much stronger with a game that can give me a way to make either a lot of different jokes or can give me a lot of different things to say about its design. This poo poo is like art to me.

Speaking of art, for anyone who cares, IGN has posted a revised Wii U review. Seems to be another "Hey guys it's actually good now" article about the system.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
3D World is probably the most bad-at-games friendly coop platformer, but New Mario U and Rayman Legends are also excellent choices

or just get Kirby's Epic Yarn

or if your wife is actually good at games ignore me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

Tropical Freeze in itself is pretty darn tough, but it is co-op. Depending on how you guys play co-op, it'll either be a great experience, or an absolutely horrifying one.

One thing I like about 3D World coop is it doesn't really punish every other player if one dies. They just come back as a bubble and you keep playing. If a player is terrible you can USUALLY ignore it and just run ahead and the game will force them to catch up. I know Tropical Freeze is harder but does it like, kill both players if one dies or something?

Looper posted:

3D World is probably the most bad-at-games friendly coop platformer, but New Mario U and Rayman Legends are also excellent choices

or just get Kirby's Epic Yarn

or if your wife is actually good at games ignore me
I have legends on PC and don't wanna buy it again to be honest. I really disliked what I played of New Mario U which is why I prefer tropical freeze.

She's really good at turn based things and decent at 2D platformers, she never really made the transition to 3D platforming.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
You should still get Epic Yarn because that game is the most adorable thing.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think I found the first part of w101 I dislike, gently caress that gas maze in 003-A you're supposed to navigate with the gamepad. It's a cool concept but it's absolutely atrocious to control since you need to turn around the pad to turn around the camera while also looking at the big screen at all times. While on a timer and with enemies roaming around. It's just a big pain in the rear end.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The worst part of the 'New' Mario games is that the screen freezes every time somebody dies. As long as 3D World doesn't have that it's fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

One thing I like about 3D World coop is it doesn't really punish every other player if one dies.

It kinda does... everyone shares the same pool of lives, so if you get to a harder stage and people aren't able to keep up and/or decide to murder each other you can get a game over pretty quickly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It kinda does... everyone shares the same pool of lives, so if you get to a harder stage and people aren't able to keep up and/or decide to murder each other you can get a game over pretty quickly.

Infinite lives trick in 1-2 :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Infinite lives trick in 1-2 :smug:

Oh yeah, getting lives isn't hard, and if you do manage to get a game over you'll come back wit 5 lives for each player so you can jump right back in and die a bunch all over again, but it's still more of an impediment than in NSMB where each player has their own separate life counter and can only die a certain number of times per level before they stop respawning.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Totalizator posted:

I think I found the first part of w101 I dislike, gently caress that gas maze in 003-A you're supposed to navigate with the gamepad. It's a cool concept but it's absolutely atrocious to control since you need to turn around the pad to turn around the camera while also looking at the big screen at all times. While on a timer and with enemies roaming around. It's just a big pain in the rear end.

If you hold R during gamepad sections the right stick moves the camera instead of drawing lines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Best Buy's "buy 1, get 1 40% off" sale is live now:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...x75Ylzk9it6fbXw

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Best Buy's "buy 1, get 1 40% off" sale is live now:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...x75Ylzk9it6fbXw

Thank You

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Totalizator posted:

The good news is that's the only gamepad segment with a time limit and the only one that really requires constant camera control. The others aren't nearly as frustrating

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is it possible to play W101 without the gamepad? I changed a setting yesterday to use a pro controller, but when I got into a warehouse I still had to pick up the controller. Can I force what would be on the gamepad to be on the TV?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wildtortilla posted:

Is it possible to play W101 without the gamepad? I changed a setting yesterday to use a pro controller, but when I got into a warehouse I still had to pick up the controller. Can I force what would be on the gamepad to be on the TV?

Press -. You can have picture in picture mode by pressing it twice.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

noirstronaut posted:

It happens with some SA LPers too. It's rarer than non-SA ones thankfully since there's a higher quality standard here, but it still happens.

ChaosArgate posted:

Not even that. I think even if you look at some of the more popular LPers, like for example Game Grumps, there are cases where they are playing a game and they miss something obvious and it's completely their fault. The remaining video is just frustrating to watch to even a bunch of their fans because they get stuck and blame the game when the audience knows that it was originally their fault. Situations like that happen more often than you think (usually with Blind LPs), and is almost always not fun to watch when that happens.

Not everyone should be a master or w/e of the game they LP, but they should at least be able to complete the game, and especially not get stuck on something basic while blaming the game when they missed the obvious.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ventana posted:

Not everyone should be a master or w/e of the game they LP, but they should at least be able to complete the game, and especially not get stuck on something basic while blaming the game when they missed the obvious.

I was trying to watch the Game Grumps Sonic Boom LP and while the game is objectively trash, they spent like half an hour lost in the hub area dicking around with a jumping exploit while moaning about the game because they didn't think of talking to a npc they saw at the entrance to the zone. These kinds of LP's are a complete waste of time because while I'm interested to see in what ways the game is broken "I'm too busy complaining about the game to look for an exit properly" is not one of them.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Totalizator posted:

I was trying to watch the Game Grumps Sonic Boom LP and while the game is objectively trash, they spent like half an hour lost in the hub area dicking around with a jumping exploit while moaning about the game because they didn't think of talking to a npc they saw at the entrance to the zone. These kinds of LP's are a complete waste of time because while I'm interested to see in what ways the game is broken "I'm too busy complaining about the game to look for an exit properly" is not one of them.

Yeah its a massive crutch for looking at the game for its intrinsic value if you can literally infinite jump boost over every door. However some games have no intrinsic value so there is also no point in looking at the game for its intrinsic value. See: a million LPs of Sonic2006 which consist of a majority loading-screens and redoing content from a dumb death and dying to a loading screen and then redoing a large section.

The reason there are even so many samey Sonic Boom LPs is because you now have a consumer market wide enough through youtube that not doing a video on a new broken game is not an option and there is no value in playing it straight similar to 2006 so its just videos of people ignoring progression designed for a cartoon watching child and cracking 'original' jokes about a pause glitch because you can't assume your broad ranging viewerbase has seen it before / you have to offer at bare minimum the same content as every other channel to try to avoid losing viewership.

Youtube LPing is very much a MLM scheme. If you aren't growing exponentially every month your sponsors are wondering whats wrong and what you're doing to change that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Totalizator posted:

To be fair, they did talk to that guy and the NPC did what all the other NPCs seemed to do, which is say they don't want to talk right now. He is separated from the rest of the NPCs in the hub too I imagine it's easy to forget about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

One thing I like about 3D World coop is it doesn't really punish every other player if one dies. They just come back as a bubble and you keep playing. If a player is terrible you can USUALLY ignore it and just run ahead and the game will force them to catch up. I know Tropical Freeze is harder but does it like, kill both players if one dies or something?

It doesn't "kill" both players per sé, but I'm pretty sure you have a shared life pool, so constant death will deplete that pool relatively quickly. That said, it's very easy to just "buy" more lives - a lot of the inventory items would probably handle most of the hiccups you'd have playing co-op in DKCTF, provided you're both decent enough to get through the levels to begin with.

Also, Captain Toad reviews are coming out, for those interested.

• Locked thread