Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No markings on the curb or street. I was asking because I always knew it to be the spot from the sign, backwards as well. Meaning you pull the front of your car up to the sign. Apparently that is not the case because I just got a ticket for parking in a handicapped space.

I'm the suburban in front of the sign on the right. I don't get it.

Edit: I just had to ask someone else first cause more and more I feel like I must be the person you share a road with, since it seems like everyone else on the road is backwards and wrong.

I'm also a bit salty because I recently got another ticket on a similar street for 'parking facing the wrong direction' despite that people park like that constantly on this kind of street without getting cited. I got cited for this handicapped space (with non-resident clearly marked on the ticket) and not the truck behind me without a permit. Not to mention that half of the cars on the street were parked 'facing the wrong direction' but the cop didn't bother with them, but they live there.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All the parking signs around here have arrows to indicate which direction they apply to. Was there nothing like that on this sign?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah, I haven't seen that. This street has like 4 of them too, it's nuts.

That one is further up the street, behind where I took my pic. The one I got nabbed at isn't in this older street view. Also that green car has a permit displayed.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That's really asinine. Hopefully you can fight it on the basis of ambiguity. Maybe they'll actually decide to put up proper signage or paint some curbs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

....and two cars parked in the wrong direction (nothing ambiguous about that) in the pic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, about half of the cars on the street were parked like that last night and I just got a ticket for that on Halloween so I was sure to have my right side on the curb. I think I'm going to start taking a ruler with me to make sure I'm within 12" always.

I'm already an expert on Bird Law but soon I can add Parking Law to that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

Is there a blue curb or something?
Because it should be behind the sign, but how far? Does the person drive an excursion or a smart?
With vehicles for handicapped people I would err on the side of an excursion or conversion van, that way a wheelchair can fit inside / ride behind on its own rack. A person with limited mobility is going to have a hard time getting in and out of a Smart and a motorized wheelchair has no chance.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CannonFodder posted:

With vehicles for handicapped people I would err on the side of an excursion or conversion van, that way a wheelchair can fit inside / ride behind on its own rack. A person with limited mobility is going to have a hard time getting in and out of a Smart and a motorized wheelchair has no chance.

A motorized wheelchair is faster than a Smart car anyways

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

A motorized wheelchair is faster than a Smart car anyways

Well, some of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A six car pileup closed the right two lanes of a three lane highway on my route home today. gently caress the dozen or so cars that blew by on the right shoulder all the way up to the accident before cutting across to get into line with all the other cars merging. Everyone else started merging a hundred feet back to give the emergency workers the room they needed.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I saw a car perched on the center divider here: https://goo.gl/maps/LypxF

Like, they drove on to it and got stuck. Two wheels on the street and the rest of the car on the divider. The driver was in the car on the phone when I drove by, so I kept going. Car looked hosed up though.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Uthor posted:

A six car pileup closed the right two lanes of a three lane highway on my route home today. gently caress the dozen or so cars that blew by on the right shoulder all the way up to the accident before cutting across to get into line with all the other cars merging. Everyone else started merging a hundred feet back to give the emergency workers the room they needed.

The only thing that truly infuriates me on the road is people taking advantage of other people's reasonable/fair driving. People who cut the line by merging at the very last second when they know they are delaying all those they are passing makes me want to pull out into the merge lane and commit suduko.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yes but let me tell you about this thing called zipper merging

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

eriddy posted:

The only thing that truly infuriates me on the road is people taking advantage of other people's reasonable/fair driving. People who cut the line by merging at the very last second when they know they are delaying all those they are passing makes me want to pull out into the merge lane and commit suduko.

Yeah, people being dicks makes me want to play puzzle games on the shoulder, too! gently caress those guys.

Seriously, gently caress those guys that do that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Devil's advocate: If they're waiting until the merge point to merge, that is fine and dandy and efficient. Other people got over earlier than they had to, which is also fine. But if they're passing on the shoulder, or otherwise being shitheads, that's no good.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nsaP posted:

Was going to post this - three page zipper merge derail incoming.

You see, it doesn't matter that they were illegally driving on the shoulder or as you put it "cutting to the front of the line" - what matters is they were using the road in the most efficient manner possible and if everyone did that there would be less wait because :suicide:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Zipper merging ++

You should always merge when you're supposed to. Merging early just cuts the carrying capacity of the road and causes more traffic and congestion. It's not about who's "first" in line, it's about getting everyone where they need to be.

Everyone in this goddamn thread needs to read this loving book:

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-drive-what-says-about-ebook/dp/B001BAGWQE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1417503727&sr=8-5&keywords=traffic

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Folks, don't be loving stupid. There's a huge difference between "illegally using the shoulder" and "doing what a bunch of state DoTs already expect and plan for you to do - zipper merge".

We're all adults here and can tell the difference, come on.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Oh dear, it's starting. At least I've read up this time. I'm ready to merge, baby.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There is also a big difference between merging late and cutting into a line of traffic waiting at a slow offramp. I ran into a 10 minuite backup at the 290 offramp from 495 last weekend because people kept cutting in from the middle lane at the last second. The other two lanes were moving fine, just the exit lane was backed up.

This, and other situations which are not supposed to be a merge, are where people cutting the line slows things down in addition to demonstrating the cutters to be gaping assholes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was worried about all the zipper merging comments when I posted!

But, really, I was most concerned about how close they were coming to the accident site. They were cutting across where the emergency tow trucks eventually parked.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You all suck and I'd rather hear about red sox vs yankees or politics than zipper merging, again :v:

I watched a Jeep Compass drive by with a completely flat (complete with flubflubflubflubflub noises) front left tire today. Driver made no signs of being aware of the issue or stopping, but they were in full-on chipmunk driver mode so I expected that.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

kastein posted:

You all suck and I'd rather hear about red sox vs yankees or politics than zipper merging, again :v:

I watched a Jeep Compass drive by with a completely flat (complete with flubflubflubflubflub noises) front left tire today. Driver made no signs of being aware of the issue or stopping, but they were in full-on chipmunk driver mode so I expected that.

This kind of thing is way more common than i'd expect.

Last week I was at a park, crossing the street to get downtown and I saw a VW NewBug at a stoplight with a completely flat tire. Teenage girl was texting at the lighjt. I tried to get her attention. "Hey, you have a flat tire!" but I guess she couldn't hear me over her music. I made the mistake of knocking on her window, and she looked up and gave me the finger, and sped off through the red, tire thumping as she went.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kastein posted:

Ahh Chipmunk drivers "I really want to be ready to overcorrect into a guardrail at all times"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

kastein posted:

full-on chipmunk driver mode so I expected that.

Chipmunk driver?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Chipmunk driver?

My best guess is that it's similar to the "old granny who rests her tits on the airbag while trying to peer through the windshield like it's a where's waldo" pose.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
it's when you drive with nuts in your mouth

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

sleepy.eyes posted:

Chipmunk driver?

I've never heard the term before, but I think it means driving with both hands at the top of the steering wheel.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Anghammarad posted:

I think they can't be arsed to get to the back of the headlight to change the bulbs. My octavia was a pig to get to, but my mates pug 2008 is almost imposible without some major spanner work

Either that, or Ignoring the funny light on the dash. I mean i've still got a headlight on the other side, i'll just turn the foglights on thats fine, isn't it?

On my old Mazda 323F I had to use a screwdriver to replace the headlights, but on my 207 it's a five minute job. Then again, the first time I had to do that it took me half an hour to just get the old bulb out. It's awfully tight in there.

I've gotten some practice since then because it seems I need to replace a bulb every 8 to 10 months. Tried different brands, but they all gave the same results. So now I just get the cheapest ones I can find.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Smoke posted:

On my old Mazda 323F I had to use a screwdriver to replace the headlights, but on my 207 it's a five minute job. Then again, the first time I had to do that it took me half an hour to just get the old bulb out. It's awfully tight in there.

I've gotten some practice since then because it seems I need to replace a bulb every 8 to 10 months. Tried different brands, but they all gave the same results. So now I just get the cheapest ones I can find.

On my Signum (Vectra variant), the nearside headlamp bulb is literally 60 seconds to change

The offside requires the bumper off.

When the 'bulb out' warning light comes on while driving, you feel like a gambler waiting to see if the next card is a 3 or a 4 - whether you get blackjack or bust.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nsaP posted:

Reminds me that I wanted to post, last week a guy decided he didn't want people driving up to the merge point in the right lane, so he began to merge about 1/4 mile before the merge point behind me (I was in the 2nd-to-right lane already), and drove with his tires on the lines making a space for himself to merge in, but refusing to let anyone else pass. So we all got up to the merge point and they all merged just like he was trying to prevent them from doing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, basically he played road police by preventing a few people from merging maybe 10 cars ahead of where he decided they should merge. It really didn't hinder or help anyone.

I decided that he was the dickhead in this scenario. Except he did accomplish one thing, and that's filling up the merge lane to the merge point (albeit with angry, angry people)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This, and other situations which are not supposed to be a merge, are where people cutting the line slows things down in addition to demonstrating the cutters to be gaping assholes.

I got a kick out of this traffic-cheating rear end in a top hat a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGZQzd0hic

Left turn from the straight lane? Check. Runs red left turn light? Check. Blocks intersection (albeit briefly)? Check. Passes at least a couple dozen people properly waiting their turn in the turn lanes because he's too important for that poo poo? Check. Driving a Mercedes? Check.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apparently this is the person I share the road with

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

atomicthumbs posted:

apparently this is the person I share the road with

Pretty standard idiocy for marinwood

Driving up the side of a car gets bonus points tho

E: the recent rain has been interesting. I'm new enough to CA that I still remember how to drive in rain, but hoo boy, I've seen some nasty accidents on the smaller roads

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 8, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man that Hyundai (?) took some pretty serious damage from being driven up the side of. Must've been going at a pretty good clip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tow operator probably had a heap of fun loading that onto the truck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Morning drive involves a school zone, designated with flashing yellows to indicate when the speed limit is 20.

Lights were unlit when I drove through, but a cop happened to be parked along side the road. Brainiac in front of me figured the safe option was to drop to 10 mph and remain at that speed for about a quarter mile beyond the end of the school zone.

Which isn't a big deal, maybe they got burned in a school zone and are paranoid about it. Fine whatever. But then we approach a four way stop and they blaze right through without touching the brakes. :downs:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Which isn't a big deal, maybe they got burned in a school zone and are paranoid about it. Fine whatever. But then we approach a four way stop and they blaze right through without touching the brakes. :downs:

When my route involves a ton of 4-way stops, I rarely make much of an effort to stop at them. Saves significant time/wear on the car, and I'm going slowly enough to see that no car is approaching on any side. Screw 4-way stops at every intersection.

I'm definitely getting a fat-rear end ticket someday which will negate this point. :( It's a bad habit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

This morning the loving troglodyte in front of me decided to come to a complete stop at the very end of an on ramp instead of just merging into the perfect gap that was available to them. They also ignored the next gap while they were slowing down. They didn't even need to force their way in, the other lane had spaced out perfectly for the line of cars coming down the ramp to zipper in. Literally all they had to do was maintain their speed and direction and they would have merged perfectly. Then the idiot sat there and waited until there were no cars on the horizon before finally proceeding. Once they finally got going again they proceeded to tailgate whatever vehicle was in front of them for the next 10 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

When my route involves a ton of 4-way stops, I rarely make much of an effort to stop at them. Saves significant time/wear on the car, and I'm going slowly enough to see that no car is approaching on any side. Screw 4-way stops at every intersection.

I'm definitely getting a fat-rear end ticket someday which will negate this point. :( It's a bad habit.

I come to a full stop, but I have no issue with people doing a rolling pause either. If you want to risk a ticket to save a couple seconds, go right ahead because it's not a giant hazard.

(which is a funny thing in its own, I've heard it called the new york pause by some people, the california roll by others.. apparently it doesn't have an actual commonly used term)

But gliding right through a stop sign with no brakes all is kind of bullshit.