Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Speaking of Links, I just tried to attach my Turdak with Frost/Gale/Bolt/Double/Golden Link to my streetpass book, but the game wouldn't allow it. Apparently some Personas (quest rewards?) belong "only to you" and can't be streetpassed.

EDIT: Also, if you have a Matador and you're using Mitsuru, sacrifice the Matador instead of fusing it away. It gives a material that unlocks a fairly powerful Cursing weapon for Mitsuru

KingEffingFrost fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

KingEffingFrost posted:

Speaking of Links, I just tried to attach my Turdak with Frost/Gale/Bolt/Double/Golden Link to my streetpass book, but the game wouldn't allow it. Apparently some Personas (quest rewards?) belong "only to you" and can't be streetpassed.

yeah it's probably because you need to unlock him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fenris13 posted:

His agility is much lower than other attacks, but I can't remember if agility only determines attack order and dodge, or if it also determines your chance to hit. His SP is also the second lowest overall. His strength growth is great, but he does pay for it in some areas at least.

That sounds exactly like his P4 self.

It was hilarious getting that 30% SP item and 10AG rainy day items for him though, he's have higher AG than yosuke and like the 3rd highest SP count. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

I don't really understand the point of poison. Trash mobs wipe too quickly for it to have much effect, and for bosses/FOEs, panic seems like a much better ailment, since it cripples their ability to attack and makes them unable to dodge any attack.

Poison is way better against the HP-wall enemies. They rarely have incredibly threatening attacks but being able to chunk their HP down in huge numbers makes them far more manageable.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Strange Quark posted:

I don't really understand the point of poison. Trash mobs wipe too quickly for it to have much effect, and for bosses/FOEs, panic seems like a much better ailment, since it cripples their ability to attack and makes them unable to dodge any attack.

I like it because of how much HP things have. Like, my skills do about 150 damage at most on a crit to the average FOE, while poison is doing upward of 500 in the 3rd dungeon. I don't bother with it for trashmobs, but it is letting me punch considerably above my weight for FOEs because it kills them before I am completely out of SP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What should I be marking spiked floors with? Just paint the squares a different color?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i made them black

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

i made them black

I'm proud of you.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Strange Quark posted:

Poison does way more damage on bosses and FOEs than anything else. A tick of poison usually outdamages my whole party turn per turn and costs almost nothing to stick. Panic's nice but you'll still take forever to kill anything, especially FOEs that have no weaknesses.

Cake Attack posted:

i made them black
damage tiles are red :frogout:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol is anything in this game not weak to light or dark?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Thanks for the Links info, makes a lot more sense now.

Thinking of a speedier physical character, I figured Akihiko would be a good match with the link-moves. Yosuke is my speedster, but overall his physical output just isn't high enough to make it worth it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

once you hit the third labyrinth some of the random shadows start blocking one or the other, but i haven't seen anything that wasn't a foe or boss block both yet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

You guys just haven't experienced the magic of Myriad Arrows yet. :colbert: And I'm not just saying that because I've never tried poison except off a weapon!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Seriously the instant death spells are ridiculously useful in this game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

If you really want to wreck poo poo, Myriad Arrows is the closest thing I've found to a Hassou Tobi equivalent. 6-8 random hits is as great as you'd expect for bosses, especially if you can get off an agility bind. :v:

e: I found out that panicked enemies can't actually dodge, and after a Dragon Cry, Myriad Arrows from Kanji finished off the Burning Beetle equivalent in the fourth labyrinth in one turn. :stare:

Haha it's like the EO4 version of snipers doing Leg Bind > Squall Volley. I like how they translated a lot of SMT stuff into EO land, changing some status effects into Binds from EO and such. Also people have mentioned it but Rei+Zan are literally EO characters in a party full of Persona characters and it's really cool.

And Tentarafoo isn't actually worthless this time, I've been using Panic on tough battles like the Burning Beetle and it helps out. Also makes gold hands easier to kill if it lands.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh

Strange Quark posted:

You guys just haven't experienced the magic of Myriad Arrows yet. :colbert: And I'm not just saying that because I've never tried poison except off a weapon!

Myriad Arrows is easily the best ability I found, but you can use poison a lot earlier and (if it lands quickly) without extra setup like agility binds/sukukaja/sukunda/whatever (I found binds unreliable so my Myriad Arrows setup was masukukaja + matarukaja + debilitate on the first turn)

By the end of the game though Myriad Arrows was responsible for probably 60% or more of my party damage. I really should have fused it onto another dude or two instead of just having one person with it, but eh, I was only playing on Normal.

The final FOE was the only thing that gave me too much trouble - I probably should have played on hard but ~oh well~

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naoto really should've been a playable character from the start of P4 with how good the mudo and hama spells were in that game too.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Haha it's like the EO4 version of snipers doing Leg Bind > Squall Volley. I like how they translated a lot of SMT stuff into EO land, changing some status effects into Binds from EO and such. Also people have mentioned it but Rei+Zan are literally EO characters in a party full of Persona characters and it's really cool.

And Tentarafoo isn't actually worthless this time, I've been using Panic on tough battles like the Burning Beetle and it helps out. Also makes gold hands easier to kill if it lands.

Tentarafoo was actually pretty good in P4: Lot of things like the Magus or Hulk Hogan types were resistant to everything, but crippingly weak to ailments.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
In the second dungeon's fourth floor, can you get other characters to read Marie's poem during the Group Date scene? I got Chie and her rendition was hilarious, but I feel like Shinji or Akihiko might have been even funnier. Seriously considering resetting and trying it again with different choices.

e: Tested it, and the answer is yes, and Akihiko is indeed the funniest. If you picked P3MC at the start, the choices are Chie, Akihiko, Yukiko, and Naoto.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 1, 2014

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
There's just too much good stuff in the 2nd Labyrinth. I just finished it, and it's a drat shame that they didn't take the opportunity to call the boss' special move Shotgun Wedding.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Iceclaw posted:

Tentarafoo was actually pretty good in P4: Lot of things like the Magus or Hulk Hogan types were resistant to everything, but crippingly weak to ailments.

Yeah actually a lot of stuff with "no" weakness usually needed a status on it which they didn't tell you. I remember there was a strong mage enemy that was weak to silence too.

But it doesn't change the fact that everyone thought Mitsuru would be this cool french speaking ice queen and she spammed it on enemies that would die in one hit anyway

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Is it just me, or is Naoto cripplingly mediocre in Persona Q?

I can't seem to make her work in my rotations effectively.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Ostentatious posted:

I don't know how it'll fare later on, but in labyrinth 2 so far I've been using her as a faux arcanist/hexer, pretty much just have her spam autokills on normal battles and status effects and binds against FOEs, she has really good magic agility and luck so she'll generally go first and have a good success rate at landing stuff.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ostentatious posted:

Are you kidding me? Everything in the first two labyrinths are weak to either Light or Dark. Or both. She's a one-woman murder machine.

Just be sure to give a sub-persona with a decent SP and some elemental/phys attacks for bosses and let her roll. Or support/healing skills, she's got nearly as big of an SP pool as Yukari or Yukiko.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'll give her another shot then. Haven't had too much luck with her but I'll plug her back in with a few more sub-personas. I am probably just using her incorrectly.

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 1, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

I have the opposite impression, having Light and Dark skills in an EO game seems completely broken, especially if you give her a sub persona with a really large SP pool. She can cast Hama for free multiple times a fight, and so many things seem to be weak to it. Against enemies that are immune to that stuff I have her be the healer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished floor 3 of the haunted house. Boy they sure love using the jump scare FOE's to make crude mazes. I got used to them after awhile but they would still startle me if I forgot where one was.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im still on the first floor of the 2nd labyrinth, currently using P3MC, Kanji, Mitsuru, Yukiko and Yukari.

I read Yukari has bad stat growth compared to others, should I get in one more physical attacker instead?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Im still on the first floor of the 2nd labyrinth, currently using P3MC, Kanji, Mitsuru, Yukiko and Yukari.

I read Yukari has bad stat growth compared to others, should I get in one more physical attacker instead?

If you want a back row physical attacker Rei&Zan seems to be pretty good at that, I dunno if the no persona thing eventually holds them back.

Honestly it's actually a huge relief having 1 person who can't equip a persona because keeping 5 of those fused and relevant is tough

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

This is quite a good game. I don't have much Etrian Odyssey experience, so it's been a fun learning experience. Also fun was when on floor two of Alice I ran into 3 consecutive pairs of Golden Hands and went from 6 to 9 in a single run. My other favorite feature is how your protagonist hitting 0 is no longer an instant game over. And the battlefield chatter. And how everyone can use a sub-persona. I can't wait to clear the first labyrinth and get access to P4 characters so I can have the two best pairs as my team (Yukari/Junpei and Kanji/Naoto of course).

One question though: I have a sub-Persona with 3 Leader skills equipped to Fuuka, but I can only seem to access one. Is there a way to change which of her sub's skills she uses? I built the sub because it would be nice to have Healing Ray and Whatever Step (the instantly escape to the stairs one) simultaneously, but I only have Healing Ray.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The more she levels up the more I think that the bit in naoto's description about not getting skills that let her shine is some kind of inside joke

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I realize everyone else here has already left my slow rear end way behind, but for those of you still having trouble with the Burning Beetles in the first labyrinth, Sleep is your best friend. I've been having Yosuke lead off with Dormina, then everyone else just dogpile the drat things 'til they die since being put to sleep stops enemies from being able to attack that turn, even if someone else wakes them up by hitting them. The bonus damage from being attacked while asleep helps, too.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

One question though: I have a sub-Persona with 3 Leader skills equipped to Fuuka, but I can only seem to access one. Is there a way to change which of her sub's skills she uses? I built the sub because it would be nice to have Healing Ray and Whatever Step (the instantly escape to the stairs one) simultaneously, but I only have Healing Ray.

what skills are they? they're probably passives.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Inflammatory posted:

what skills are they? they're probably passives.

The sub has Renewal Ray (2 gauges for a quick heal all), Sukatora Foot (1 gauge for instant escape), and Hunting Prayer (passively increase enemy drops). Lucia, Fuuka's main Persona, of course has Healing Song. When I go to use leader skills, Sukotora Foot does not appear; I only have Renewal Ray and Healing Song. I'm not sure if Hunting Prayer is active.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

The sub has Renewal Ray (2 gauges for a quick heal all), Sukatora Foot (1 gauge for instant escape), and Hunting Prayer (passively increase enemy drops). Lucia, Fuuka's main Persona, of course has Healing Song. When I go to use leader skills, Sukotora Foot does not appear; I only have Renewal Ray and Healing Song. I'm not sure if Hunting Prayer is active.

hunting prayer is passive, not sure what the deal is with sukotora foot.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Ostentatious posted:

Level her up, give her Impure Reach and laugh at how she clears the board in one move with Mahama/Mamudo.

I'm currently in the 4th lab and they finally started to put in non-FOEs that are immune to light/dark in the same fight so now I have to actually use all 5 characters to kill something sometimes.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Impure Reach affects Hama/Mudo?

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Armor-Piercing posted:

Impure Reach affects Hama/Mudo?

Yeah for whatever reason. I believe it's because Death is considered a debilitating effect. Even things that are resistant to instant death go poof with my Naoto. Combine that with her high Luck/Agility stats most of my fights go Yosuke > Naoto > done.

For boss fights I have her with the Poison Breath skill card which lands on drat near everything in this game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just got this game yesterday evening. How does the Heal Stone work? It's in my inventory, but I can't use it or equip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

I just got this game yesterday evening. How does the Heal Stone work? It's in my inventory, but I can't use it or equip it.

Unlimited use 50hp heal in combat only

• Locked thread