Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Cicadas! posted:

2 out of 3, not bad. :v:
Sonic is unexpected, though. Is it because most of his attacks seem to have stupidly good priority?

He's fast, has real combos, good grabs and followups, tons of mixups and options out of his side-b, and his up-b is crazy good since he can use A moves out of it, allowing him to chase you extremely high for combos. I've played a few good sonics on 4 glory and the sheer number of good options sonic has at any moment make him a challenging and dynamic opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After about an hour of trying the up + b trick with Lucina, I got the 8 KOs with cruel melee. Once I finally hit 8 I stopped caring and with that free spirit, I landed 3 more KOs with her counter.

This vampire badge thingy I won is pretty nice, right? What do I do with it?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Mew2king is one of the campiest Smash players in existence. Even in Melee he'll often abuse Sheik's up-B to stay invincible on the ledge. He's mainly the reason that Brawl had a ledgegrab limit.

It doesn't seem like his Sonic has been fruitful, so I'm hopeful that the game will stay aggressive like what we've seen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

So I beat Event Mode, getting most of the rewards. Some didn't require a particular difficulty, so I did them on normal or easy. Do you a) get anything for getting all the rewards, and b) beating them all on Hard?

...and whatever Order battles get you AND getting all the custom moves/clothes/hats. God drat it.

There's a challenge unlocked for all the rewards, and a challenge for every event on hard. Since you can do some of the rewards on Normal or Easy it's probably better to get the reward then beat it on hard if you're going for everything

Custom stuff is way faster on Wii U it feels like.

noirstronaut posted:

I hate the dependency the game still has in the Gamepad. I can't use Amiibos without it and the GC controller only works in-game, so I have to use some other controller (or just the Gamepad) to start the game.Give me a GC controller with NFC in the middle for Amiibos and a power button on the back.

You can start your Wii U System with the pro controller, and play the entire game with the pro controller, and you never have to touch the gamepad, hope this helps

I mean I dunno what you want with the Amiibo do you want Nintendo to go back to 2000 and put NFC in every gamecube controller in case they make pikachu dolls or what

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Captain Falcon is easily the best character to watch in this game. The golden outfit is so beautiful. Maybe I should pick him up...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I have a room up if anyone wants to play.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I can vouch that Captain Falcon is also the best character to play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ah gently caress it, username is Stompologist.

Time to get goony.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I just discovered the hardest event in the game. Beat All-Star Battle: Secrets with Little Mac (on hard)

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 1, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

EDIT: Also, is there any way to prevent Palutena from following up with aerials after her down throw? It feels like it's loving impossible to recover, regardless of what percentage you're at.

i'm pretty sure for palutena down throw into any of her aerials is a true combo. down throw into up air in particular is her best kill move from what i can tell

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So apparently Diddy dominated some high profile smash 4 tournament or something?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

So apparently Diddy dominated some high profile smash 4 tournament or something?

I think he dominated all of the recent ones, people have been complaining about him.

He was an rear end in a top hat to play against in Brawl and the reason I hated top level Brawl play

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

TheKingofSprings posted:

KTAR XI. A day-1 tournament for the Wii U version, hosted by a guy that named the tournament after himself (for the eleventh time).

There were only three high-profile Diddy Kongs (M2K among them), but they were heavily featured by VGBootCamp so it's shitload of videos featuring Diddy and making him look more over-saturated than he is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Outside of Rosalina glitching kills at 30%, Diddy probably has the most consistent lowish percentage kill (down throw->up air kills on average at 80-100%) which is like super loving annoying.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I wish there were more characters like Diddy. He's super offensive and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w7sIePrQng

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Outside of Rosalina glitching kills at 30%, Diddy probably has the most consistent lowish percentage kill (down throw->up air kills on average at 80-100%) which is like super loving annoying.

And the thing most likely to happen is he'll get nerfed instead of other characters getting buffed to keep up :sigh:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i would like it if robin was just a little bit faster.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Mii Brawler has a 0% kill.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

F. Lobot posted:

Mii Brawler has a 0% kill.

What is it? Haven't seen this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

F. Lobot posted:

Mew2king is one of the campiest Smash players in existence. Even in Melee he'll often abuse Sheik's up-B to stay invincible on the ledge. He's mainly the reason that Brawl had a ledgegrab limit.

It doesn't seem like his Sonic has been fruitful, so I'm hopeful that the game will stay aggressive like what we've seen.

I honestly hope M2K has a hard time doing well and slowly fade into obscurity and maybe the Smash scene wouldn't seem so horrid. When your golden child of your community is a cum dripping, autistic video game savant with a rep it makes everything look bad. I hope I don't have to see anymore of that dude.

Tae posted:

What glitch is this?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What is it? Haven't seen this

Brawler's default Up+B, the Piston Punch, is a multi-hit move, and it has obscene knockback on the very first hit. If you can land just that hit and not any of the others, it can kill at 0%.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sire Oblivion posted:

I honestly hope M2K has a hard time doing well and slowly fade into obscurity and maybe the Smash scene wouldn't seem so horrid. When your golden child of your community is a cum dripping, autistic video game savant with a rep it makes everything look bad. I hope I don't have to see anymore of that dude.

Boy, you're not familiar with dominant figures in any scene that having a bad year will make him go away. He would need like a 6 year hiatus of doing nothing and he'd still probably be the guy like how Ken is still revered as a legend.

Sire Oblivion posted:

What glitch is this?

Rosalina randomly can kill with up-air with Luma for whatever reason at super low percentages. It's not a Rage thing, it just happens and I don't know if it's a glitch or that's actually what happens with double knockback.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

I like M2King. He would shake people's hands and he personally asked me if I was in the tournament (flattered, but a weird question). As I said before, I don't know much about him but I can see why he is considered one of the better Smashers.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can start your Wii U System with the pro controller, and play the entire game with the pro controller, and you never have to touch the gamepad, hope this helps

I mean I dunno what you want with the Amiibo do you want Nintendo to go back to 2000 and put NFC in every gamecube controller in case they make pikachu dolls or what

I use my Gamepad to Quick Start the game and then use my GC controller to play the game. I wanted NFC in the new rereleases of the GC controllers.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

oknope posted:

I like M2King. He would shake people's hands and he personally asked me if I was in the tournament (flattered, but a weird question). As I said before, I don't know much about him but I can see why he is considered one of the better Smashers.

All you need to know is you should throw away the sheets if he spends the night at your house.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tae posted:

Boy, you're not familiar with dominant figures in any scene that having a bad year will make him go away. He would need like a 6 year hiatus of doing nothing and he'd still probably be the guy like how Ken is still revered as a legend.

I wouldn't mind if he kept his "legend" status but I just don't want to see him play anymore.

oknope posted:

Other than him spreading his semen wherever he goes and his Japan trip he's a really poor sport, always has some excuse as to why he loses and will throw matches if he's not in the mood to play anymore.

Also, if you're a manchild and like figures, figma Lucina is up for preorder.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
So, I learned some Smash Secrets tonight.

- Peach can hover from a ducking position. Confuse your friends, tell them you're wavedashing.

- If you do Sheik's divekick right after dropping through a platform, you will land on the platform you just dipped through. Like, what

- I do not know how to kill anyone as Sheik. I got my friend's Pikachu to like 140% and was helpless to actually finish the match.

- Pikachu's traily bolts will knock a bro off a ledge, Sheik's exploding nuts will not do that I don't think. I get mad at videogames when I discover secrets like this.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Are there any places online in the UK that still have Smash Bros with the Gamecube adapter in stock? Apparently trying to find one at a non-stupid price is like finding a unicorn at the moment.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Maple Leaf posted:

Brawler's default Up+B, the Piston Punch, is a multi-hit move, and it has obscene knockback on the very first hit. If you can land just that hit and not any of the others, it can kill at 0%.
And there is a guy who mains Mii Brawler that caused a mild stir by using it to cause an upset. I think KTAR XI banned custom moves partially because of this (it's not part of Brawler's "default" set). It's not technically a glitch. Some moves that are multihit have max knockback to ensure that the victim lands into the follow-up hit. This normally isn't an issue since the follow-up hit will cancel the knockback from the first, but apparently Brawler can make it so only the first hit goes through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhAJxTR560
(see it in action around the 2:50 mark)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

So, I learned some Smash Secrets tonight.

- Peach can hover from a ducking position. Confuse your friends, tell them you're wavedashing.

- If you do Sheik's divekick right after dropping through a platform, you will land on the platform you just dipped through. Like, what

- I do not know how to kill anyone as Sheik. I got my friend's Pikachu to like 140% and was helpless to actually finish the match.

- Pikachu's traily bolts will knock a bro off a ledge, Sheik's exploding nuts will not do that I don't think. I get mad at videogames when I discover secrets like this.

-Yeah, I think she could do this since melee. If you hold down and jump she goes straight into hover. Her aerial moves for the most part are much better than her ground moves too

-Young Link used to do this with his down-A too, dunno if he still does. If you drop through and do it quickly he lands on the platform again. It boosts you up a bit when you first use it so you end up being above the platform.

-Off the top of the stage aerial up air is really good, and up smash if you hit them with the sweetspot but it's really finicky. if you want kills off the side back air can be good, you might need to chase off the stage, but her strongest kill move is actually down-B. Chasing people in the air with forward airs then landing a down b and getting a kill is the best feeling, learn to land it!

-You mean Sheik's forward B? It actually has a bit of a vacuum effect which is why. When that animation plays of it almost exploding it actually sucks in anyone nearby. It does weird things if people are in the air and sucks them way further than you'd think.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

And there is a guy who mains Mii Brawler that caused a mild stir by using it to cause an upset. I think KTAR XI banned custom moves partially because of this (it's not part of Brawler's "default" set). It's not technically a glitch. Some moves that are multihit have max knockback to ensure that the victim lands into the follow-up hit. This normally isn't an issue since the follow-up hit will cancel the knockback from the first, but apparently Brawler can make it so only the first hit goes through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhAJxTR560
(see it in action around the 2:50 mark)

I think you linked the wrong video there, not seeing any Mii Brawlers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Tried playing some Ganondorf with some buddies of mine over the weekend. Holy poo poo that dude loving rules now. He's a character made up of nothing but smash attacks and stronger smash attacks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PantsBandit posted:

Tried playing some Ganondorf with some buddies of mine over the weekend. Holy poo poo that dude loving rules now. He's a character made up of nothing but smash attacks and stronger smash attacks.

You should try playing Bowser too. Ganondorf is better overall but there's nothing more satisfying than ramming Bowser's fist down people's throats.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RyokoTK posted:

You should try playing Bowser too. Ganondorf is better overall but there's nothing more satisfying than ramming Bowser's fist down people's throats.

Fists? I think you mean his feet. :colbert:

Seriously Bowser feels so good to play.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Ganondorf is hot wet garbage and Bowser is usable. Sorry about your opinions?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

Fists? I think you mean his feet. :colbert:

Seriously Bowser feels so good to play.

No, I meant his fist. That f-tilt is so good.

I mean, the breadbasket kick is great too but a straight punch to the face is pure Bowser and I love it.

zolthorg posted:

okay bro :cawg:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Diddy is so common right now because he's super easy. His down throw is basically the best combo starter in the game- his up air is really good against grounded opponents as well for starting poo poo- and he has a lot of ways to set you up into getting grabbed with his banana and monkey flip and good aerials. He takes very little effort to learn and has pretty good payoff and everyone is new so nobody knows how to not get grabbed by Diddy's setups and then get juggled for 30-60% every time or get launched off the top at around 100-120%.

Assuming he doesn't eat some knee-jerk nerf and lose the combo ability after his down-air (see- Shiek, Greninja so far) it'll be interesting to see if Diddy remains a strong character or if he's an early-era flash in the pan like ROB or Squirtle in Brawl where they were strong for about the first six months then vanished into the ether as better characters were found.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zolthorg posted:

Neither are rushdown characters but in the hands of someone with great timing and patience they're devastating. Last night some goons and I from the IRC played some 2v2s and I was partnered with someone (Reksi, dunno his forums name) and he was shutting poo poo down right quick. It was breathtaking. Thankfully I was partnered with him.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Ganondorf is better in a competitive sense than Bowser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

Ganondorf is strong and outclasses Bowser in 1v1s if you know how to play him.

Here's a Japanese player killing it against some of his worse matchups as an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oPnmouioM

• Locked thread