Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Halloween Jack posted:

I started reading the Mr. Money Moustache blog and I'm a little dismayed at how easy he says it is to cut transportation costs. I live in a small college town with mediocre-at-best public transit, which is set up to benefit cars rather than pedestrians or cyclists, and living close enough to bike to work would sent my rent soaring. That's before considering that my fiancee works two jobs spanning four locations, and both of us have time commitments outside of work. I've owned two cars that cost me less than $3k, and they actually ended up costing a lot more than that.
This article, I'm guessing? It is kind of off-putting that he assumes everyone is willing and able to move to somewhere to minmax their finance goals, which includes his "even if it's not feasible now, when you move next you can go somewhere you can bike/take transit around" bit. People have to go where the jobs are, and a lot of people also don't want to move away from friends & family unless they have a really good reason to. MMM does have good advice in many areas, but his lifestyle-centric posts are going to ring hollow if you're not living the exact lifestyle he assumes is best for everyone.

I definitely agree with him that people in this country drive way too much and bike/walk/take transit too little, but that's a symptom of how our towns are laid out and how our transit is funded(all of it designed to benefit cars, usually at the expense of everything else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

The thing is none of those make nearly as good coffee as k cups.

Congratulations, you have no knowledge of what constitutes "good coffee."

If you're a coffee snob, buying the fancy equipment and single bean single estate coffee is probably on par or maybe cheaper over time than the k-cup silliness. I doubt BFC goons are high end coffee snobs but you have no clue if you think every method I listed there is subpar coffee.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Jastiger posted:

That is why I posted the Keurig thing here. I don't want one, and its wasteful.

But dammit my wife wants one. I'm going to get it for her and every time she doesn't use it, or wants MORE coffee than the one single cup it makes, I"m going to point it out (after the feel good feeling of the gift wears off of course).

So its bad with money, but good with gifting. Plus can't you get a decent deal at Costco on the K Cup thingies?

You're getting your wife a gift intending to ridicule her for it later?

I don't like k-cup coffee, but I haaate cleaning up coffee grounds. gently caress you French press k-cup wins until I get a live-in maid to clean it for me.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

I have a couple. They work horribly, they leak grinds into your cup, and then you have to wash them after using them which defeats the entire purpose of owning a Keurig.

These work well, don't leak, and are easy to clean (and you can let it sit if you are lazy and just dump it out right before reusing): http://www.amazon.com/Ekobrew-Refillable-Keurig-Brewers-1-Count/dp/B0051SU0OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417428370&sr=8-1&keywords=eco+k+cup

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TLG James posted:

And here I am just buying caffeine pills. It's like 4 dollars for a fifty pack.

I tried powder, but it was just a pain to measure.

I knew a chem grad student who would just stir the powder into his orange juice because he hated the taste of coffee :v:

Halloween Jack posted:

I started reading the Mr. Money Moustache blog and I'm a little dismayed at how easy he says it is to cut transportation costs. I live in a small college town with mediocre-at-best public transit, which is set up to benefit cars rather than pedestrians or cyclists, and living close enough to bike to work would sent my rent soaring. That's before considering that my fiancee works two jobs spanning four locations, and both of us have time commitments outside of work. I've owned two cars that cost me less than $3k, and they actually ended up costing a lot more than that.

It may surprise you how doable it is to bike what you'd previously consider an unreasonable riding distance, a lot of adults haven't ridden a bicycle since they've gotten their driver's licenses and forget how efficient it can be. Yesterday I rode 10.5 miles each way to a Thai temple outside of town to grab some lunch, takes me about 40 minutes each way and I'm not a triathlete or anything. (I live in FL, which is pretty much the definition of a car-centric locality.) For your fiancee it may not make sense if she has to commute to multiple job sites on the same day, so you'd probably have to keep one car, but you might be able to bike to work most days and get dropped off by her when the weather's really lovely or something.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It may surprise you how doable it is to bike what you'd previously consider an unreasonable riding distance, a lot of adults haven't ridden a bicycle since they've gotten their driver's licenses and forget how efficient it can be. Yesterday I rode 10.5 miles each way to a Thai temple outside of town to grab some lunch, takes me about 40 minutes each way and I'm not a triathlete or anything. (I live in FL, which is pretty much the definition of a car-centric locality.) For your fiancee it may not make sense if she has to commute to multiple job sites on the same day, so you'd probably have to keep one car, but you might be able to bike to work most days and get dropped off by her when the weather's really lovely or something.

Gonna have to agree with this.

I started biking around NYC two summers ago for funsies and I was surprised at first just how far I could get in how little time. I live in one of the outer boroughs but I can still get to midtown in under a half hour. Depending on your destination, it could be quicker to bike than to take public transportation. Biker safety around here is a serious issue altogether around here, but there's a lot the biker can do to alleviate that.

Personally, I have a 25 mile commute in each direction so I don't have much of a choice :(

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
gently caress biking in the Canadian winter though, tuyop notwithstanding.

I do live within walking distance of really good transit though so yay car free lifestyle.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Keurigs are ideal for people that rarely drink coffee or drink small amounts. If you drink four cups a day it is obviously bad with money.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the important part is to realize that where you live, where you work, and how you get from one to the other is an ecosystem. You shouldn't make decisions on any of the three in a vacuum, and there are ways to optimize for time/money if one or the other are important to you.

It's hard to argue for public transit to work if your city has bad public transit, absolutely. But for me, that would be an argument against living in that city.

You could carpool to work? Or live closer and have a roommate? There's rarely zero options, though they may be hard to discover.

C... fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 1, 2014

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
We bought the Cafe Cup for the Keurig for 9.99 at Walgreens. 4 reusable cups for the Keurig that you can refill all you want, easy to clean, and dishwasher safe. They've went strong for two years. Fill it with whatever coffee is on sale. Works well for us.

I also used it when I was sick last week to make hot water for tea bags.

Also, if you must buy a Keurig this holiday season, Costco had the 2.0 which makes carafes on sale for 119.99. I've also seen a Hamilton Beach knockoff for 50.00 before, at Kroger or whatever they call themselves in your area.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I am bad with money for coffee:

I've just bought a Nespresso maker as a Black Friday deal and it came with £75 of capsules. Which seems like a steal, except:

I already own the same model and have a stock of 160 capsules (6 months-worth)

I am very bad because I also own a Dolce Gusto capsule machine (with a literal shelf of capsules)

I am stupid because I also own an expensive bean to cup machine and 12 bags of beans/grounds.

(In total, I have 9 different coffee machines)

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Coffeechat - all you need is beans, a grinder of some sort, and a french press.
If you're *really* fussy, spend £25 on an Aeropress.

Throw your expensive thousand dollar machines in the bin.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I buy K Cups for the work machine, which saves me money by avoiding the $2 a cup coffee at work, however the K Cup rage ITT is now convincing me to buy a 2nd french press for work and make it in the break room. $20 a month on K-Cups, another expense I wouldn't have if I didn't work.

If you haven't biked in a while you probably don't know just how far you can go. I bang out 15 miles after work as a way to blow off steam. For me it's 20 miles to work, but it's not the distance that's an issue, it's that there's no safe route. There is no physical path out of Philly into the burbs where I work that doesn't involve a highway.

I could move closer to work. I used to live 5 miles away. But the area is so boring. I would save a ton of money on cost of living though because I would blow my brains out and not be living :kiddo:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Switchback posted:

You're getting your wife a gift intending to ridicule her for it later?

I don't like k-cup coffee, but I haaate cleaning up coffee grounds. gently caress you French press k-cup wins until I get a live-in maid to clean it for me.

If she uses it then there is no ridicule.

BikeChat, I'm actually kind of excited to live as near to work I do. I work downtown and live maybe 2 miles away and while I'm a bit scared of the traffic on the way there, I can see biking being a really efficient and cheap way to get to work. The downside is if I need to pick up something or go meet someone somewhere after work, I'm stuck with the bike downtown, and most everything else is NOT downtown. First it'll have to be not 20 degrees (F) outside and we'll see how it works in the spring.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you ~*really*~ wanna save money, kick your caffeine addiction and forget the coffee

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I knew a chem grad student who would just stir the powder into his orange juice because he hated the taste of coffee :v:

This guy: http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth made cold brewed vacuum extracted coffee for a similar reason. It's actually really tasty.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
I'm surprised I haven't seen any goons mention roasting your own coffee beans yet.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OneWhoKnows posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen any goons mention roasting growing your own coffee beans yet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Once again the thread veers to "anything I wouldn't spend money on/am not willing to pay a premium for is bad with money. No your financial situation is not relevant to this judgement!" :sigh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Not becoming an ascetic monk is bad with money in this thread.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Nail Rat posted:

Once again the thread veers to "anything I wouldn't spend money on/am not willing to pay a premium for is bad with money. No your financial situation is not relevant to this judgement!" :sigh:

It's all about your budget - I (and I'm sure lots of us) make enough money to easily absorb the cost ($50/mo or so) but that's $50 more I can put toward my student loans or add to my eating out budget (which I get a lot more enjoyment out of than crappy coffee). $300/year is an extra student loan payment.

The point is that people mindlessly spend money instead of looking at alternatives. A small coffee maker takes about 2 minutes to set up in the morning and around 30 seconds to clean (dump grounds, rinse pot, and you can leave it until you get home just fine). It is bad with money, the converse is that it's OK to be bad with money sometimes. It doesn't magically make it good with money just because you make $120,000. Paying to have your groceries delivered and getting hours of your life back? Fine. Paying to have laundry done for you and gaining 2-3 hours of time? Awesome. Paying $1 a cup (with the cost of the machine) for coffee to save you 20-30 seconds per day? Maybe there's some flex there.

I don't need to tell you about MMM's page where he shows how each $2 coffee really adds up if you instead save that money long term. It's about saving where you easily can (coffee in my case) so I can take an extra flight to go visit family, get ahead on a loan payment, etc. It's not the spending that's bad, it's the lack of thought that people apply.

xie fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
80 new posts? Awesome, must be something hilarious.

loving coffee? C'mon.

I want to hear about the goon who got a speeding ticket reduced to $300. I have never had any ticket over $150. Was it a DUI that got knocked down to negligent operation?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yes well drinking coffee at all is bad with money. Caffeine is at best non-nutritious and at worst damaging. If you really want to apply your definition of bad with money then yes, everyone should live as an ascetic monk.

Of course people need to look at stuff in the context of their budget, but here we have 60 posts of people raging about K-cups. And the people in this thread saying they use them probably are maxing all their retirement accounts. Who gives a gently caress. If you buy coffee beans you're not that much better, it's a waste of money too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nail Rat posted:

Yes well drinking coffee at all is bad with money. Caffeine is at best non-nutritious and at worst damaging. If you really want to apply your definition of bad with money then yes, everyone should live as an ascetic monk.

Of course people need to look at stuff in the context of their budget, but here we have 60 posts of people raging about K-cups. And the people in this thread saying they use them probably are maxing all their retirement accounts. Who gives a gently caress. If you buy coffee beans you're not that much better, it's a waste of money too.

This is the point where some smug goon posts a link to monks that sell gourmet coffee.

Oh wait, it's me:

https://www.carmelitemonks.org/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm completely in favour of K-Cups at an office, if it means little or no ill-will and time wasted arguing over whose turn it is to buy grounds, make a pot, clean the pot, and so on.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I want to hear about the goon who got a speeding ticket reduced to $300. I have never had any ticket over $150. Was it a DUI that got knocked down to negligent operation?
The fines for "driving too fast" can range wildly depending on how fast you were going and if the state has laws that automatically defines such activity as reckless driving, street racing, etc. For awhile it was possible for VA residents to get a $3,550 speeding ticket.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

spog posted:

This is the point where some smug goon posts a link to monks that sell gourmet coffee.

Oh wait, it's me:

https://www.carmelitemonks.org/

And this is where truth becomes stranger than fiction: https://www.mysticmonkcoffee.com/store/all-monk-shots2-c149.php

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nail Rat posted:

And this is where truth becomes stranger than fiction: https://www.mysticmonkcoffee.com/store/all-monk-shots2-c149.php

Being a monk is bad with money.

Wait, no, selling overpriced monk coffee is good with money!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I like diet mountain dew in orange juice. I call it the "dewdriver."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Come join us in the serene hills of rural Belgium where an ancient traditional blend of coffee beans have been roasted by devout celibate monks. Using the time tested prayer ritual of Single Serve Pumpkin Spice, these monks honor God in the only way they know how-in easy to use disposable coffee cups delivered right to your door for only $2 a cup!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

silvergoose posted:

Being a monk is bad with money.

Wait, no, selling overpriced monk coffee is good with money!

Being a monk is probably good with money from a cost perspective and bad with money from an income perspective.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Drinking anything that isn't room temperature tap water is bad with money.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
why don't you guys just drink the free work coffee

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
^^^Instant coffee left on a burner for twelve hours is a war crime, not a drink.

OneWhoKnows posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen any goons mention roasting your own coffee beans yet.

You rang? A cheap popcorn popper, hot plate and thermometer set up will allow you to save on average two dollars a pound! You also get better coffee and you can use your burnt beans as missile weapons to pelt anyone who utters the word Kuerig until they develop an obsession on par with my own standards.

Jastiger posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen any goons mention roasting growing your own coffee beans yet.

Give me a few years and I'll get back to you.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Living in London is bad with money.

Rent £550/mo (US$880) for a bedroom in a (kinda poo poo) 3 bed apartment in zone 2. This is actually a steal because it's a 'bad' (muslim) area. I chose this place in large part because it's 30-35 mins walk from work to save £135/mo on a transit pass. Currently sleeping in that extra 15 minutes probably 3 times a week so I have to take the tube anyway (£2.80/trip onpeak) plus 'rain' and other weekend/after work trips meaning i'm probably spending over £20-25 a week in tube trips anyway. :downs:

Plus everything in this city is so expensive it makes me want to become a hermit.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 1, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

^^^Instant coffee left on a burner for twelve hours is a war crime, not a drink.

uhh if we're going to continue this aloof coffee posting then you should note there are nice bean to cup machines on the 15th and 16th floors

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think part of the frustration from MMM comes from the fact that people just don't consider public or active transportation an option - even in the locations where they are excellent options, people make up bullshit excuses to not live a more efficient life.

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In my eyes, this city offers many desirable living locations within 5 kilometres of the downtown core. But very few people even consider them.

-"That house is too old"
-"That house is too small"
-"There's not enough land to drive my ATV"
-"Where would I park my mall crawling pick-up truck?"
-"I'd still have to have a car anyway so I can save $0.30 on milk at Costco" (ignoring car sharing and car renting options instead of ownership)

I'm glad they don't consider them an option though, because that means the houses near downtown are (in my view) reasonably priced.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 1, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

why don't you guys just drink the free work coffee

I bought a Keurig in direct response to free work coffee.

I'm unsure what coffee they use, but it's horrible. Newman's Own pods rate between average and good to me, so it works out.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Switchback posted:

Have you tried one of these? https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/640446#.VHyDGDE7uSo

My parents have one that lives on a diffuser plate on the stove and they make coffee in it just about every morning and the only added hassle over an automatic drip coffee maker seems to be that you have to boil and pour the water yourself. Way easier to clean than a French press, too - just toss the grounds-filled paper filter and rinse. Cost of filters comes out to like 4 cents a pot, too.

I grew up thinking that the automatic coffee machines were some sort of decadent luxury or something, and then was surprised when I had to explain to one of my roommates that it was indeed possible to brew coffee at home without some bulky $100+ piece of equipment.

The whole concept of product systems like Keurig and Swiffer pisses me off. I did like how easy and convenient my Swiffer WetJet made mopping, but having to drop ten bucks on a pack of mop pads and seven bucks on the cleaner (which I could usually only find in some godawful Febreeze chemical scent) made me eventually just give the thing away and buy a cheapo mop and bucket that didn't require expensive, wasteful refills all the time. I did actually consider cutting open the cleaner container so I could fill it with my own cleaning solution, but buying a different mop was less effort.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Congratulations, you have no knowledge of what constitutes "good coffee."

If you're a coffee snob, buying the fancy equipment and single bean single estate coffee is probably on par or maybe cheaper over time than the k-cup silliness. I doubt BFC goons are high end coffee snobs but you have no clue if you think every method I listed there is subpar coffee.

It's okay that you can't afford a Keurig I don't judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

BikeChat, I'm actually kind of excited to live as near to work I do. I work downtown and live maybe 2 miles away and while I'm a bit scared of the traffic on the way there, I can see biking being a really efficient and cheap way to get to work. The downside is if I need to pick up something or go meet someone somewhere after work, I'm stuck with the bike downtown, and most everything else is NOT downtown. First it'll have to be not 20 degrees (F) outside and we'll see how it works in the spring.

My lower back is not the greatest, so I make it a point to buy a rear rack as soon as I can, I use one of these. (Back issues aside, not a fan of having my back get all sweaty.) Classier people buy Ortlieb saddlebags (saw a number in DC) to hold shopping and stuff, I just ziptie a milk crate on the back and toss in my toolkit + whatever other bag/stuff I need. I don't need them yet, but am planning on seeing if I can adapt the motorcycle Ortliebs I already have to the Topeak rack though, would save me like $150 on buying the bicycle-specific ones, and they're tops for bigger shopping runs or touring.

You'll be surprised how much cycling warms you up in the winter, trick is to dress so that you can unzip/roll up/take stuff off as you get hotter. If it snows, there are studded tires, or I've seen some people who DIY it with zipties. Two miles ain't bad to walk, worst case.

canyoneer posted:

I like diet mountain dew in orange juice. I call it the "dewdriver."

This owns, gonna try it.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

-"I'd still have to have a car anyway so I can save $0.30 on milk at Costco" (ignoring car sharing and car renting options instead of ownership)

Back when I lived in Japan, there was a Costco about an hour and a half away. We'd normally get 3-4 people in car (1 or two of whom were members) and all do our shopping/get a cheapass lunch at the food court, then drive home, splitting the gas and tolls. For membership-based places like that, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to convince a car-having friend/neighbour to do the driving if you got them in on your card and paid for the petrol.

• Locked thread