Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Well this was fun. Beat blue baby twice and then mega satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

thanks.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

omeg posted:

I've had a key beggar drop me the good yellow attack fly that's very aggressive once.

Smart Fly is so much better than Dead Bird it's not even funny. At least let them have similar tracking/homing AI.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Placenta + Leach + Gnawed Leaf.

I AM INVINCIBLE! A really, really boring wolverine.

On the more exciting side of the run, I got Polyphemous + Coal + Money is Power + The Pact + The Mark. Not yet to "tears the size of the room" (actually still only about as big as Isaac's head) but they hit pretty hard.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Power of Pecota posted:

I hope you rerolled the rest of the chests down to your last half heart, a Pyromaniac there (provided you don't roll the Manual first and can't deposit it in another Chest room where a spacebar item drops) puts you right in the promised land.

When setting up the Manual stuff, even though you've got more drops that can set up the loop if you start with Pyromaniac (Ipecac/Dr. Fetus/Epic Fetus/kinda Pyro) I feel like rerolling until you get a first treasure room Epic Fetus is a way better deal. You can shred through full floors easy, take as much as you want from donation machines, guarantee that you'll get to the Chest with a whole bunch of health because of how broken it still is, and even do the waiting game with Placenta if it drops for your infinite health loop. When I've started with a first room Pyromaniac it's been a slog.

I had already found the manual and had the tail so I had already managed to put it in another room, and was down to my last two hearts when the scapular popped up. Oh thank god, I thought. And that is when I suddenly realized that my dumb rear end had gotten all 12 heart containers so that I couldnt even use it.

:doh:

Its ok though, my next run took pity and gave me pyromaniac and pyro for my first two treasure rooms, and I later obtained the humling bundle so I had 99 bombs still going into the chest. The run itself wasnt a slog either since I got the pentgram, scythes, poison tears, tears up pills, and the cancer trinket. Rerolled and healed until I saw ipecac, found the manual and got the Super girl/boy after a few minutes.

All that's left is Beans!, Suicide King, and to actually find the Godhead, then I can be part of the cool kids platinum club :shobon:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I am sad to report that Dr. Fetus + Tear Bombs do NOT create an infinite-recursion bombpocalypse, as I had hoped. Oh well! With the items in the chest and some rerolling abuse I was able to make a droppable bomb that was so powerful it one-shot ???, so at least there is that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Midas's Touch + Gnawed Leaf + Orbitals. Come at me Bro. :getin: Works on bosses too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I really dislike Monstro's Lung. The charge time is just way too long compared to Brimstone, although it's miles better than Cursed Eye. What am I doing wrong? Everyone else seems to enjoy it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I really dislike Monstro's Lung. The charge time is just way too long compared to Brimstone, although it's miles better than Cursed Eye. What am I doing wrong? Everyone else seems to enjoy it.

It works best with scythes, proptosis, chocolate milk and/or polyphemus to get gigantic, room annihilating shots.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 1, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Suffer and pray for a tears up or ten? Cursed Eye isn't so bad as long as you remember it only teleports you during the charge. My second ??? kill was during a run with Cursed Eye. Well that or hope you don't re-roll and end up with soy-milk, cursed eye and minimum range. That was an instant run-killer :suicide:

I agree that Monstro's Lung should not have a longer default charge than Brimstone though since Brimstone lets you attack comparatively rapidly from far away while with Lung you have to get almost within touching distance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Good lung builds do roughly all the damage to all the things the moment you enter a room.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I am sad to report that Dr. Fetus + Tear Bombs do NOT create an infinite-recursion bombpocalypse, as I had hoped. Oh well! With the items in the chest and some rerolling abuse I was able to make a droppable bomb that was so powerful it one-shot ???, so at least there is that.

Dr./Epic Fetus are based on your tear effect and damage, not your bomb mods sadly. The unfortunate side effect of this is that Dr. Fetus really sucks without some damage ups and other modifications, like spoon bender, 20/20, triple shot, mutant spider, etc.

Epic Fetus on the other hand is always awesome. Some damage ups, Ipecac, and then Mutant Spider rains down so much death that your first green missle will one shot nearly anything before the other 3 hit. In fact the only thing I couldnt one shot in the chest with that was the last form of Mega Satan, which took 2 out of the 4 missles to die.

Strange though how 20/20 works with dr. but not epic though, I would've thought it would since triple and mutant spider do.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
The item room in Basement I has Book of Revelations. Same floor, I fight Famine and get a Cube of Meat.
Caves I, Pestilence. A second Cube of Meat
Depths I, War. The third Cube of Meat
Womb I, Conquest.

A White Pony. :tizzy:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Its a good thing if you never had a white pony before I suppose, but that combined with the ball of bandages makes getting a meatboy rather tricky.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Logan 5 posted:

Dr./Epic Fetus are based on your tear effect and damage, not your bomb mods sadly.

Pretty sure Mr Mega still works with them, no idea about the others though.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Behold! the shittiest offer in the history of boss rushes!

I'm not even that powerful but I need the achievement

Edit: Holy gently caress I did it. My motley crew of leech, bob's brain, red candle and mom's toenail managed to pull it off. Luckily I had knockback tears so I was able to basically stop the fast enemies like War and Mask and push them back into the leech. That was one of my favourite battles ever in isaac.

Ghost Head fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 1, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Logan 5 posted:

Dr./Epic Fetus are based on your tear effect and damage, not your bomb mods sadly. The unfortunate side effect of this is that Dr. Fetus really sucks without some damage ups and other modifications, like spoon bender, 20/20, triple shot, mutant spider, etc.

Epic Fetus on the other hand is always awesome. Some damage ups, Ipecac, and then Mutant Spider rains down so much death that your first green missle will one shot nearly anything before the other 3 hit. In fact the only thing I couldnt one shot in the chest with that was the last form of Mega Satan, which took 2 out of the 4 missles to die.

Strange though how 20/20 works with dr. but not epic though, I would've thought it would since triple and mutant spider do.

Bob's Curse changes Dr. Fetus bombs to do full bomb damage, including a full heart to you. I had a run last night that was supposed to be a coin-farming Azazel run, but that I followed through to the end because the build was so awesome.

I died before reaching ???, but I had Lord of the Flies mode on so for once the change to Laz-2 didn't cost me flying. I needed a Chest win with Lazarus anyway.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I don't really know if I would have been able to take the lamb with what I had on the lost run I finished just now, just a super sloth in the room directly before the boss dropped a chaos card, and I wasn't in any hurry to try and fight him legitimately (though I was guppy with hive mind and a few extra lives left from dead cat). So all I've got left is the boss rush now, I've gotten there a few times, but I always foul it up on a red poop or brimstone laser.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Randomly determined powerups, general action-y play, whatever v:v:v

thanks for the recs tho

i hope you haven't bought our darker purpose yet because it is awful

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bloody Pom posted:

I just watched the Northernlion run where he got Ipecac + Sad Bombs + Bob's Brain + Rubber Cement.

:laffo:

Every time the brain hit something it exploded into eight giant ipecac shots that bounced off the walls and exploded in his face.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 1, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

It was the silliest loving run I've ever had in either Isaac game.

So I got basically every Speed Down there was. I was literally as slow as you can go. I couldn't outrun Isaac's Crack the Sky beams. I had to sit top-center and guess which way they'd come from. Thanks to Guppy's Collar, I had one retry and made it count. I skipped Mom due to a lucky Passage rune appearing. Also lucked out in finally getting some Damage Ups in the Womb stages after getting gently caress-all the rest of the game. I've never been more tense playing this game, and I've never been so happy to beat Isaac. I nearly died to It Lives, as I'd lost my one-hit from Holy Mantle, and my slow speed meant I had to get in super close to outrun the lasers, but god drat it I won.

Since I skipped Mom, I didn't get the Polaroid and couldn't advance to the Chest, but you know what? It's a start.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ugh, just had an amazing Lung + Chocolate Milk + Scythe + Max's Body + Parasite run die because I quit out to double check which boss I needed and it crashes on load every time. The scythes would hit everything in a 2x2 room then all the splits would make sure no globins or the like survived.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I beat everything on hard with The Lost thanks to the Dead Cat glitch being alive and well on PS4 and got unlock messages for everything - except Godhead. Is there no message for that one, or are there unlock conditions beyond the hard victories?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I beat everything on hard with The Lost thanks to the Dead Cat glitch being alive and well on PS4 and got unlock messages for everything - except Godhead. Is there no message for that one, or are there unlock conditions beyond the hard victories?

If you still have that bug you can't unlock Godhead and a couple other secrets due to another bug fixed in the same patch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Filthy Hans posted:

Godhead was broken in the same patch where the dead cat exploit works, so you're stuck waiting for the new patch at which point Godhead should pop soon after starting again. Did for me at any rate.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thanks for the info, duders, guess I have to wait for it then

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

bucksmash posted:

hahahahahaha nothing like having a baller run through Womb II with 11 heart containers and using an unknown pill that ends up being Hematemesis and only drops 1 heart :suicide:

I'm on the verge of just not using any pills anymore at all because of stuff like this. I remember it got to this point with the original Isaac too, that I just completely refused to use pills unless I had PHD for fear of them ruining my run. Even Cain isn't safe anymore. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tears up pills aren't even that good anymore since it really only takes maybe 3 tears up items to max you out (and there's tons of them, including at least 2 that max you on their own). Luck ups are better than they used to be but you still need a lot of them to max out tear effects that check luck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My addiction to reset-scumming makes me jealous of people who stream or put out YouTube videos who are incentivized to continue every run no matter what dogshit items they get, because people will rage at them if they don't. I need consequences for my bad behavior, dammit. On the plus side, I burnt through 25+ Eden tokens trying to get a powerful start, and now I'll have to be more careful with each Eden run.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm on the verge of just not using any pills anymore at all because of stuff like this. I remember it got to this point with the original Isaac too, that I just completely refused to use pills unless I had PHD for fear of them ruining my run. Even Cain isn't safe anymore. :(

I'm a pretty compulsive pill popper and usually it turns out for the better. You can get tons of pills in Caves if you make sure to bomb large mushroom formations, on top of being able to find all the mushroom related items under them.

BJPaskoff posted:

My addiction to reset-scumming makes me jealous of people who stream or put out YouTube videos who are incentivized to continue every run no matter what dogshit items they get, because people will rage at them if they don't. I need consequences for my bad behavior, dammit. On the plus side, I burnt through 25+ Eden tokens trying to get a powerful start, and now I'll have to be more careful with each Eden run.

I only have a couple rules for reset-scumming, usually if I get into a particularly annoying to clear at base level room or two+ floors of trash spacebar items. Really frustrating to get down to depths and only have 2-3 actual items.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 1, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I usually play with whatever I'm given, only really was resetting when specifically going for boss rush unlocks.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I pop every pill I find early on to get the bad ones ID'd. You don't want to find Amnesia when you get to the huge levels.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BJPaskoff posted:

I've been playing with whatever I get recently and it's much more fun in the long run.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My one rule is I'll only take Cellar if there's a treasure room next to me.

gently caress Cellar.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people repeatedly hit their hand with a hammer and wonder why it hurts: a binding of isaac story

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the previous game I'd pop every pill I saw because there were an about even number of good and bad effects, but in Rebirth I never ever use pills unless I have something like PHD because there are way more useless/bad effects you can get. The ratio of good to bad is actually about the same depending on where Pheromones lies for you, but it's just not worth it to take the chance anymore.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Justin_Brett posted:

My one rule is I'll only take Cellar if there's a treasure room next to me.

gently caress Cellar.
I really regret killing small-Gemini first. If it wasn't for that, no Cellar! If I had only remembered Cellar existed, I'd somehow managed to block it out entirely.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

CJacobs posted:

In the previous game I'd pop every pill I saw because there were an about even number of good and bad effects, but in Rebirth I never ever use pills unless I have something like PHD because there are way more useless/bad effects you can get. The ratio of good to bad is actually about the same depending on where Pheromones lies for you, but it's just not worth it to take the chance anymore.

Pheromones is actually pretty awesome in large rooms. It charms everything, not just poo poo hit by the pink stink cloud, so in a 2x2 room hitting it can effectively kill 3/4ths of the enemies before you even see them.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Charming items and pills in general are pretty good, even if theres only one enemy in the room. It prioritizes making the lone enemies run towards you rather than shoot. Handy on certain things with rear end in a top hat shot effects or patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I always do Cellar because the music rules