Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That or it was one lead their parents tried but didn't work for them, so they just stashed it away for a rainy day and went to find the hat instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This season's been absolutely fantastic so far. I mean, it's still a bit lovely around the edges, but the show's become really entertaining, and gripping.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed recommending this arc to people, in all honesty. As long as I thought those people could deal with the costumes / FX.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I get the feeling they are going to kill off Hook since it seems everyone Emma gets involved with dies and they are putting out some serious heroic sacrifice vibes. I'm not really going to be happy with that outcome especially if the entire cast continues to be totally oblivious to Rumpelstiltskin's shenanigans. They are equally laying down some hubris on Gold's part that he thinks he can be both a loving husband to a naive but well meaning idiot and also an evil mastermind that I would assume is going to bite him in the rear end at some point.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 1, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Radish posted:

I get the feeling they are going to kill off Hook since it seems everyone Emma gets involved with dies and they are putting out some serious heroic sacrifice vibes. I'm not really going to be happy with that outcome especially if the entire cast continues to be totally oblivious to Rumpelstiltskin's shenanigans. They are equally laying down some hubris on Gold's part that he thinks he can be both a loving husband to a naive but well meaning idiot and also an evil mastermind that I would assume is going to bite him in the rear end at some point.

The only way they're killing off Hook is if O'Donoghue quits (which, from his personality, seems unlikely unless he becomes overwhelmed). He's enormously popular and there is absolutely no way they'll write him off for story reasons.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I keep going Rumple has good reasons for what he's doing-- like it turns out the outcome isn't evil at all, he's been playing his cards close, you know?

But then the fairies. ;__;

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't see Hook dying. He'll reveal the truth about Rumple and what he's done in some pivotal moment that will save the day but it will lose all the trust he's built with Emma and the Charmings and he'll be back to square one in the Regina role of villain desperately trying to prove he's a hero and make up for his mistakes.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
While I do feel bad for most of the fairies, I do have to say I am glad that Blue is gone. I don't know what it was, but I never really liked nor trusted her, even before all the ish with Tinkerbell came out. Still, plenty of other people in the chat I was in were upset about her being gone.

Although knowing OUAT's penchance for fuckery, everyone may just be trapped in hypersleep inside the hat, with their magical essence slowly being drained out of them or some poo poo. :/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's no getting around it, Blue is self righteous and arrogant. I didn't want her sucked into a hat prison but I didn't really want her around either.

But yeah, Blue will be back. This is like the third time she's died and that hat will get opened or whatever when Mickey shows back up.

What happened to Tinkerbell? I thought Blue upgraded her to fairy so I was expecting to see her this episode. But I can never keep track of these characters. I kept thinking Emma should call Ariel to help them find Anna seeing as how she can go between worlds and stuff but I have no idea if Ariel is in Storybrooke.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

There's no getting around it, Blue is self righteous and arrogant. I didn't want her sucked into a hat prison but I didn't really want her around either.

But yeah, Blue will be back. This is like the third time she's died and that hat will get opened or whatever when Mickey shows back up.

What happened to Tinkerbell? I thought Blue upgraded her to fairy so I was expecting to see her this episode. But I can never keep track of these characters. I kept thinking Emma should call Ariel to help them find Anna seeing as how she can go between worlds and stuff but I have no idea if Ariel is in Storybrooke.

Tink actually got hit with a curse, specifically the "Rose McIver is way too busy doing other things to come back" darkness.

I really wanted the Blue Fairy to secretly be a horrible bad guy, but I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I really wanted the Blue Fairy to secretly be a horrible bad guy, but I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

Yeah, if they were going to do that they'd have done it way back in season 2 with the whole trading one life for another candle instead of letting us know it was just Cora in disguise.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

They said Ariel was on some deserted island with Eric that was outside the bounds of any of the curses.

So I guess the actress was busy.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
What an episode. Can't wait for the Snow/Regina fight from the preview.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So, this show is great and all, but I can't shake the feeling, every time that I watch it, that I would rather be watching a sitcom in which Rumpelstiltskin (or Mr. Gold) and Benjamin Linus from Lost are roommates.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Radish posted:

I have to wonder if they aren't really planning on bringing on someone not crazy to be with Belle, or if Rumpel will actually realize he loves her more than he loves power after all and give up his magic to be with her. It's confusing. The actual Beauty & the Beast movie was much more straight-forward because Belle actually did change the Beast for the better but all this Belle seems to be doing is enabling. Belle was such a strong female character (for Disney) when she came out in the movie. She stood up for herself and what she wanted at all times and she had agency over her own fate (she eventually made the conscious choice to return to the Beast each time). I'm not sure I like the character here. She's thinking entirely in black and white and missing the fact that people are usually varying shades of gray, not good or evil.

As for Regina: I wonder what's going to happen when Hood's wife wakes up. I doubt she'll die, but I do think that he'll probably leave her for Regina. Which would be awesome. I'd be happy with either way honestly.

Also WTF Is up with the Blue Fairy/Winnifred Burkle. I could've sworn she died. How the hell is she back?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 2, 2014

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Captain Mog posted:

Also WTF Is up with the Blue Fairy/Winnifred Burkle. I could've sworn she died. How the hell is she back?

She was faking / restored to life. It happened back in Season 3, during the interminable Neverland arc.

She's not Amy Acker (Fred from Angel) though. Amy Acker was in one episode way back in season one as another fairy, that's it.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was faking / restored to life. It happened back in Season 3, during the interminable Neverland arc.

She's not Amy Acker (Fred from Angel) though. Amy Acker was in one episode way back in season one as another fairy, that's it.

Oh, I get it now. This show confuses me so much. There's way too many characters.

And yet still I tune in weekly and would never miss an episode.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I really wish they'd bring Amy Acker back for some resolution to that storyline.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

I really wish they'd bring Amy Acker back for some resolution to that storyline.

But then we'd have to see more Grumpy. I'm okay with not seeing more Grumpy!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cailleask posted:

But then we'd have to see more Grumpy. I'm okay with not seeing more Grumpy!

Grumpy is okay when he's not calling together a mob to carry burning torches at whoever the latest scapegoat is, so I guess in that one episode where he is Dreamy.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Grumpy is okay when he's not calling together a mob to carry burning torches at whoever the latest scapegoat is, so I guess in that one episode where he is Dreamy.

If bringing her back actually addressed that too I'd be okay with that. And Granny is out of control too. Remember when that mob came after your granddaughter? Sheesh lady.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

ashez2ashes posted:

If bringing her back actually addressed that too I'd be okay with that. And Granny is out of control too. Remember when that mob came after your granddaughter? Sheesh lady.

Speaking of, the Charmings were pretty quick to throw Anna under the bus. It's not even necessarily an unreasonable position to take, but usually they're willing to go out on a limb for family. It's one of their few endearing traits.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't like Belle. It seems like she's always crying and she's unbelievably stubbornly blind to the fact that Rumple is evil as poo poo and some of that poo poo should be remembered. And that whole Anna thing was a little messed up. I definitely hope that these next few episodes when Rumple kidnaps Henry and tries to get away finally open her eyes to reality and she takes a walk and maybe finds someone decent. But I'm sure Rumple will just tell some lies and she'll buy them 100% even while everyone else is hunting the Dark One down.

A route I think they could go is that when Hook comes clean on everything he also tells Belle about the fake dagger and that's what finally sends her away from Rumple. Then when Hook and Emma are on the rocks I could see Belle attaching herself to a lonely and messed up Hook because she has a type.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind if she died as a consequence of Rumple's evil schemes.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Random thoughts while marathoning the show for the first time. Not actually expecting answers.

Is there a reason the main character is the least interesting and most personality lacking character on the show? Is she there for the soap opera lovers to project themselves onto as a sort of audience-insert character?

Why does almost no magic in this show have any flash or oomph to it? Characters awkwardly hold their hands out in front of them and then, suddenly, magic. Traditionally in Disney movies magic always had a sort of finesse to it with body movement or hand gestures. I do wonder what sort of sort of direction the magic actors on this show are given. "Hold your palms out in front of yourself and look like you're trying really hard to remember where you left your keys"?

Why does everyone know everyone else through increasingly convoluted backstories? The whole Emma / Henry / Bae / Rumple / Peter thing was kind of interesting. Kristof and Charming followed by Anna and Charming is a little much.

Why does Blackheard look exactly like how Captain Hook would be portrayed in live action, in a show where the actual Captain Hook looks and acts nothing like Captain Hook?

Why does the only genuinely good character actor appear to be Rumplestiltskin? Maybe I'm wrong and he just makes everyone else look terrible by comparison, but Mr. Gold steals the spotlight of any scene he's in and acts circles around his fellow actors. Regina comes in at a close second.

These people all still act and dress like their fake selves, the people Regina created in their heads. That's a little strange, Regina successfully killed who these people were by meshing together fake personalities and memories with real ones? Or do the fairies just continue to dress like nuns because it's fashionable.

The Neverland Jungle stretch of episodes really reminded me of a certain low point in another series. Every once in a while I could hear "Sophia!" in the back of my mind. I assume they got a budget cut or something? Episode after episode of dark sets with people constantly bickering was a little painful to get through.

Did she really have sex with a monkey for a year? :stare:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jesto posted:

Random thoughts while marathoning the show for the first time. Not actually expecting answers.

Is there a reason the main character is the least interesting and most personality lacking character on the show? Is she there for the soap opera lovers to project themselves onto as a sort of audience-insert character?

Why does almost no magic in this show have any flash or oomph to it? Characters awkwardly hold their hands out in front of them and then, suddenly, magic. Traditionally in Disney movies magic always had a sort of finesse to it with body movement or hand gestures. I do wonder what sort of sort of direction the magic actors on this show are given. "Hold your palms out in front of yourself and look like you're trying really hard to remember where you left your keys"?

Why does everyone know everyone else through increasingly convoluted backstories? The whole Emma / Henry / Bae / Rumple / Peter thing was kind of interesting. Kristof and Charming followed by Anna and Charming is a little much.

Why does Blackheard look exactly like how Captain Hook would be portrayed in live action, in a show where the actual Captain Hook looks and acts nothing like Captain Hook?

Why does the only genuinely good character actor appear to be Rumplestiltskin? Maybe I'm wrong and he just makes everyone else look terrible by comparison, but Mr. Gold steals the spotlight of any scene he's in and acts circles around his fellow actors. Regina comes in at a close second.

These people all still act and dress like their fake selves, the people Regina created in their heads. That's a little strange, Regina successfully killed who these people were by meshing together fake personalities and memories with real ones? Or do the fairies just continue to dress like nuns because it's fashionable.

The Neverland Jungle stretch of episodes really reminded me of a certain low point in another series. Every once in a while I could hear "Sophia!" in the back of my mind. I assume they got a budget cut or something? Episode after episode of dark sets with people constantly bickering was a little painful to get through.

Did she really have sex with a monkey for a year? :stare:

The protagonist being kind of flat is a common problem, I think.

Yeah, it would be nice if the magic had more oomph, I agree.

The convoluted backstories stuff is because of the family theme - they want everyone to be related and to represent all kinds of nontraditional families within one, large family.

Blackbeard looks and acts almost nothing like a live action Captain Hook should, in my opinion; Captain Hook is a pompous Eaton man meant to be blustery and comically aristocratic.

Yeah, Mr. Gold is a show-stealer.

I think they still dress and act like their fake selves because they have two sets of memories: they still have all the fake ones. Must be difficult.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"We don't have time to get Elsa before the curse hits!"

-Prince Charming, apparently forgetting Rumple can instantly teleport across continents

Doesn't Regina also have some limited teleportation powers?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They both do, which is conveniently forgotten quite often.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Some of them were their Storybrooke selves as long as/longer than their fairy tale personas....so I imagine in the case of Snow and Charming in particular David and Mary Margaret felt comfortable.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I've liked Regina trying to be a better person, but drat when she's full metal evil she is fun.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Wait, where are Anna and Kristoff now?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Man, I did not see that coming.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That was a pretty good wrap-up of the storyline, I'm impressed. I liked it.

Also the ending scene was cute with everyone laughing. I like that about this show- it's a Disney show, not Game of Thrones, and I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't get something cutesy at the end of a story arc.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
:unsmith:

Next week looks interesting. What the hell is Rumple gonna do?

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Now that snow queen is gone I think someone will be unfrozen :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kammat posted:

:unsmith:

Next week looks interesting. What the hell is Rumple gonna do?

I dunno, but whatever it is I imagine it'll end on a crazy cliffhanger note since we don't get new episodes til loving MARCH :mad:

I thought the last episode ended on a really somber note with Charming and Snow, but this episode it was just fun watching them hate-talk each other. It felt like they were pretty excited to do something different for once. Also did anyone else think that the curse broke early for Charming? During the fight between Regina and Snow, he kind of goes dead faced and you hear a shattering noise that I thought didn't have to do with the fight.

I though the memory stuff worked well in fitting in all of the Snow Queen's backstory bits into the main story, although the memory stone things could've used a better introduction (or maybe I, ironically, forgot about them) because she sure as poo poo never used them before coming to Storybrooke but then just has them luckily lying around when Emma comes to Storybrooke for the first time, and the magic in them just happens to work even though no one else's does

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
We saw her use the stone on Elsa when she froze Arrundelle.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Isn't Cruella a tad underpowered to be hanging around the likes of Maleficent and Ursula?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Evil Regina is just so camp. The Charmings were actually interesting being bitches.
As for The Snow Queen, she's probably the most sympathetic villain we've had. All those sweet scenes with Emma were fantastic. Her random attacks jarred with the character motivations though. And her evil spell? Stupid. Elizabeth Mitchell always does a great job though.

So next week I expect we will say goodbye to Frozen and hello to whatever is next? Malificent? Cruella? Ursuline?

So how would everyone rate the big bads of each arc? I'd put Zelena and Snow Queen high on the list

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Emma was a more interesting character before she got magic. Magic in this show is totally uninteresting since if you have it you can do literally anything and if you don't you can only run around and ask magic people to do you a favor. Before she had to kind of be a badass instead of just going "I can do this..." and point her palms at stuff. Her being a total rear end to Regina to undo the bracelets was a small return to that.

The original idea with Belle seemed to be a method for Gold's redemption but yeah she's just an enabler for his evil. I'm not sure if the writer planned this current poo poo where he wants his cake and eating it too of evil world denomination and also his wife that wants a nice guy husband. When they introduced her way back but the only real indication that he's not totally evil is that one time he didn't kill a guy that stole for him, although he would probably have tortured him to death. Hook even told her straight up that he killed his last wife for leaving him and that didn't seem to really click in her head that he's not really that nice. The fact that he seemed to like her more when she was being a jerk under the effects of the curse should also clue her in a bit.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2014

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Captain Mog posted:

That was a pretty good wrap-up of the storyline, I'm impressed. I liked it.

Also the ending scene was cute with everyone laughing. I like that about this show- it's a Disney show, not Game of Thrones, and I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't get something cutesy at the end of a story arc.

This is why I watch this show and enjoy it as much as I do. Even the comedies I watch (The League, It's Always Sunny, Veep, etc) are fully of lovely people doing lovely things. Funny, but jesus they are cynical. It's kind nice to just watch this show. In particular, I've really enjoy the Frozen characters on screen (Anna in particular nailed it) and and Oz story.

This show just makes me feel happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So wait... Having not seen the episode yet (we're watching it tonight), does this story pretty much wrap up the arc? What on earth are they going to do next week then?

• Locked thread