Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

HiveCommander posted:

Just dye your hair purple and get some bondage gear, you'll be good to go!

Bright pink. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

GodFish posted:

Bright pink. :colbert:
:thejoke:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

What anime is your avatar from? The chick reminds me of Shiragami from Truthism.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What anime is your avatar from? The chick reminds me of Shiragami from Truthism.

NANANA's Buried Treasure, from Spring 2014 season.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rider should be confused with Assassin than anyone, since she acts more like an Assassin than Assassin himself.

But then we had a bunch of sword wielding Archers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnacondaHL posted:

NANANA's Buried Treasure, from Spring 2014 season.

Thanks, I guess I'll check it out.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Bholder posted:

But then we had a bunch of sword wielding Archers.

Yeah that bit is funny. I don't think there is even a conventional Archer in the series that we know of, but rather that they all had cost efficient noble phantoms that can not be identified at a glance

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There are at least two in the franchise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

There are at least two in the franchise.

And Archer in the present series is kind of a borderline example, what with firing transforming arrow-swords from his bow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What I'd like to see is an Archer using gunpowder weapons, or perhaps heavy artillery. Any suitable generals from WW1?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I assume Archer's design is based on D&D Ranger class, which have dual-wielding weapons as specialization.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nielsm posted:

What I'd like to see is an Archer using gunpowder weapons, or perhaps heavy artillery. Any suitable generals from WW1?

Simho Hayha?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you're looking for famous artillerymen, Napoleon Bonaparte fits the bill.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tarezax posted:

If you're looking for famous artillerymen, Napoleon Bonaparte fits the bill.

They would make Napoleon a flat loli with a breast size complex instead of a hight complex and at least one character would refer to her as "Napole-tan" :negative:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

id watch it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it would be tasteful to use people who are still within living memory of their family members.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They would make Napoleon a flat loli with a breast size complex instead of a hight complex and at least one character would refer to her as "Napole-tan" :negative:

Get Takeuchi on the line, we have our next spin-off's Jack.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They would make Napoleon a flat loli with a breast size complex instead of a height complex and at least one character would refer to her as "Napole-tan" :negative:

Nah, that made sense with Arthur's legend because it was far back enough and no one ever caught Jack the Ripper; they didn't genderflip Shakespeare after all. Not that I dislike that convention but I doubt they would do that when they have the opportunity to give him a snazzy over dressed period outfit.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nah, that made sense with Arthur's legend because it was far back enough and no one ever caught Jack the Ripper; they didn't genderflip Shakespeare after all. Not that I dislike that convention but I doubt they would do that when they have the opportunity to give him a snazzy over dressed period outfit.
Counter-point: they could also make Napole-tan in Georgian-era clothing. It'd be like a more colourful goth loli

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sophism posted:

Get Takeuchi on the line, we have our next spin-off's Jack.

I forget, who actually designed Jack anyway?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Archer in Fate/Extra is actually a conventional Archer, iirc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

There was a joke about Nobunaga as an Archer in one of the Type-Moon magazines. Not an actual appearance, though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

nielsm posted:

Type-Moon has recently started adding Demon Archer to their humor works, who happens to be (genderswapped) Nobunaga with an arsenal of anti-legend guns.

Endorph posted:

There was a joke about Nobunaga as an Archer in one of the Type-Moon magazines. Not an actual appearance, though.

She's been showing up in Koha-Ace and Capsule Servant. The interesting thing is that even though it's a parody, the setting they've been building (Alternate 3rd War #2 (Apocrypha is #1) where Japan wins the Grail War (Nazis are involved too) and repurposes it for bombs but keep enough of the core to run their own analogue) is getting quite fleshed out.
Who knows, given Grand Order and Apocrypha and such it might just become a real thing in the future.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 1, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

Type-Moon has recently started adding Demon Archer to their humor works, who happens to be (genderswapped) Nobunaga with an arsenal of anti-legend guns.

In 100 years, nobody will remember that the historical Oda Nobunaga was a man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

So, like Uesugi Kenshin.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

nielsm posted:

Yeah it's kind of weird how many times he has been genderswapped.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Rodyle posted:

I forget, who actually designed Jack anyway?
Yuichiro Higashide. The current writer of Fate/Apocrypha.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 2, 2014

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I've always thought Davy Crockett would be a great gunpowder-based Archer class servant. It would appeal to an American audience.

Hell, he even has a nuclear tipped recoilless rifle named after him. That would make one HELL of a noble phantasm.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Archer in Fate/Extra is actually a conventional Archer, iirc.
Yes he was. From memory it was even Robin Hood, and he was a total jerk.

nielsm posted:

Wait, Nobunaga's a guy!?! :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno it seems to be 50:50 between dude Nobunaga and girl Nobunaga.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
History could use more famous female figures anyway.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Mulan would be pretty cool as Saber and Rama from the Ramayana would make a bitching Archer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As mentioned in earlier Fate threads, Ching Shih as Rider would be some major 'oh god everyone is hosed now'.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mulan has always been portrayed as this sort of generalist warrior that you tend to see in the period art. Using swords, lances, bows and on horseback. If you want a female asian saber you gotta go with the Lady of Yue.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Saber using a bow on horseback would be par for the course for Fate.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mulan has always been portrayed as this sort of generalist warrior that you tend to see in the period art. Using swords, lances, bows and on horseback. If you want a female asian saber you gotta go with the Lady of Yue.

You know full well they'd make her a Rider that flies on a dragon for some reason and that has an army that reverses causality to undo lost wars so that she would be the victor.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Saber using a bow on horseback would be par for the course for Fate.

Correction: Saber using a bow on motorcycle-back would be par for the course for Fate.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Modern generals don't really work, except maybe for a handful of lunatics like Patton, Chuikov, and Rommel. Alexander fought in the frontlines of his army, Arturia personally killed 960 Saxons at the battle of Badon Hill, etc. and so on. That sort of individual heroism is rare among modern military leaders, and the sorts of heroes that do emerge in war are rarely as remembered as any given Servant is. Simo Hayha, Ludmila Pavlichenko, Carlos Hathcock- great killers, but not famous except among military nerds. Audie Murphy? Who's that? Smedley Butler was famous in his lifetime and engaged in many acts of personal heroism, but he's largely forgotten today.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I would say the Red Baron would be a good Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Jack Churchill for Saber. Or possibly Archer.

• Locked thread