Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

This is an excellent way to summarize it.

Agreed. That's my biggest problem with the pitchforks approach many fairly liberal, justice-system cynical people. The solution is to give everyone the due process cops get, not take theirs away so everyone is equally hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That's still an injustice.

Unfortunately, the motive undercurrent of the protests is completely lost on most conservatives: people are pissed off, frustrated, and hopeless about the system and a militarized police force that acts as if operating in a war zone. I was having a conversation about it with an intelligent, reasonable republican (such things exist) and we agreed that Brown is pretty unsympathetic and, at least based on the evidence that has been presented, Wilson should not have been indicted. But when I said the response is about more than a bunch of uppity black folk burning down their houses to spite the man--that it was a response to their perception of injustice on a grander scale than one incident--she said, "historically speaking."

No, not historically. Immediately!

PS I just bought a PS4 and dragon age, privilege owns

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
My take on ferguson for what it's worth is that the right result was probably reached in this case, but it's revealed a lot about that county that makes me question whether it will be the right result in the next case. That's reason to be angry. I don't support looting and rioting, but peaceful, even *gasp* angry protesting is not uncalled for. I am still going wtf over handing the grand jury an outdated statute. Even if it was later explained what the gently caress?

And yeah. Dragon age owns.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Still playing Origins goddammit.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The Warszawa posted:

Still playing Origins goddammit.

How far along are you?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm trying to get him to skip Dragon Age 2 but he says he wants to play it after Origins.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So wait, is the new Dragon Age worth a poo poo? Because the new Far Cry is amazing.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

How far along are you?

... I just got the dog.

I've been busy.

mikeraskol posted:

I'm trying to get him to skip Dragon Age 2 but he says he wants to play it after Origins.

Yeah because obsessive-compulsive completionist scum is such a rare personality type in this profession.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I haven't played any other Dragon Age game, am I going to be completely lost? I just wanted a wide open fantasy type game. I almost got the LOTR game but it seemed linear.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I haven't played any other Dragon Age game, am I going to be completely lost? I just wanted a wide open fantasy type game. I almost got the LOTR game but it seemed linear.

I've heard yes, but the thing you use to make choices for an import is supposed to have a narration function that outlines the deal pretty well.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

My take on ferguson for what it's worth is that the right result was probably reached in this case, but it's revealed a lot about that county that makes me question whether it will be the right result in the next case. That's reason to be angry. I don't support looting and rioting, but peaceful, even *gasp* angry protesting is not uncalled for. I am still going wtf over handing the grand jury an outdated statute. Even if it was later explained what the gently caress?

And yeah. Dragon age owns.

I mean, it's the current version on the books. It's outdated in the sense that it's partially overruled by case law, but it's not like they handed them an old statute.

I was going to be playing WoD this weekend but hey can't be bothered to get an extension so I guess I'm writing responses instead.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I never finished Origins because I didn't like it and I skipped DA2 because everyone said it sucked. No problems. There are characters from the other games and references to them, but they don't leave new players in the cold at all. Inquisition is its own self-contained story.

If you want to get real nerdy and learn the backstory you can log onto the Keep and go through it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you want to get real nerdy and learn the backstory you can log onto the Keep and go through it.

lol what kind of a loser dork do you think I am.

...I don't have an Origin account

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lol what kind of a loser dork do you think I am.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's still an injustice.

Unfortunately, the motive undercurrent of the protests is completely lost on most conservatives: people are pissed off, frustrated, and hopeless about the system and a militarized police force that acts as if operating in a war zone. I was having a conversation about it with an intelligent, reasonable republican (such things exist) and we agreed that Brown is pretty unsympathetic and, at least based on the evidence that has been presented, Wilson should not have been indicted. But when I said the response is about more than a bunch of uppity black folk burning down their houses to spite the man--that it was a response to their perception of injustice on a grander scale than one incident--she said, "historically speaking."
you wrote this post so "massive"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You racist

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I went to gamestop to buy games for my office 360. The staff love to come in there, hide and veg out when poo poo gets too intense.

God I'm loving old and hate everyone now.

P.S. gently caress Dragon Age, play Binding of Isaac rebirth.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I really enjoyed DA Origins. 2 is flawed in a lot of ways, and I found myself grumbling on my first time through. My recent playthrough (in anticipation of DA:I) gave me a different perspective, and now I like it despite the missteps.

DA:I is a treat. Does an excellent job of distracting me from the shrieking anxieties that govern my daily life.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CaptainScraps posted:

I went to gamestop to buy games for my office 360. The staff love to come in there, hide and veg out when poo poo gets too intense.

God I'm loving old and hate everyone now.

P.S. gently caress Dragon Age, play Binding of Isaac rebirth.

Scraps just started his late 20s.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I just picked up Inquisition and skipped Origins. So far so good, but goddamn the control scheme is messing with me after playing too much GW2. And getting in-home streaming to work properly so I can play it on my laptop has been a hassle. Luckily I can now stab demons while watching my life play AC4.

And yeah, the eventual result may have been right in Ferguson (jury acquittal vs. no true bill - in either case no conviction) but the whole saga really underscores the problems with policing in these minority communities. If you're bringing in officers who are unconnected with the community they're policing and they see their job as forcibly keeping order so that community doesn't hurt the surrounding area, then you're guaranteed to have problems.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Look at you lames without young kids who can play video games.

Hearthstone on the john or bust!

Edit: Also civ revolution 2 on my phone waiting for my case to be called in Court.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 29, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

Look at you lames without young kids who can play video games.

Hearthstone on the john or bust!

Edit: Also civ revolution 2 on my phone waiting for my case to be called in Court.

I have a young kid. fortunately she's at that age where watching the Lion King on loop = best weekend ever.

You can play DA:I without having played the other two...but I think playing the other two will make it a more rewarding game experience. And I must be the only person on the internet who actually liked DA:2. It wasn't as epic as origins...but it was still a solid game, IMO. Origins just set the bar really high.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I found a place on the internet where people think the Nu Metal remix of the dragon age series was good. what is this place

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Metal remixes of things have made a pretty big resurgence. A cartoon metal band has multiple multi-platinum albums. Metal is in now, man.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

How best to respond to a one-paragraph memorandum on private attorney's motion to dismiss? (single spaced in some awful font and definitely not formatted the way the courts here typically demand, in fact no caption on the actual motion; but I suspect our courts would let the private bar literally file dog poo poo sometimes while anything with a margin out of place or the wrong color ink on the signature is likely to get returned unfiled to my office.)

Since the one-sided formalities are so important I kind of want to be a dick and write a legit 15 page response (my legal writing opportunities don't come along that often with child support). :effort: Might get called needlessly aggressive by our judge, but if I slack on it and just do whatever she'll find fault with that in the other direction.

edit: I'm p sure it's one paragraph because it's crap, not because it's a slam dunk dismissal.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 1, 2014

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I doubt anyone here will be able to advise you as to the particularities of your judge, clerk, etc. I'm not sure what a "private attorney" is but from your description I assume it's a layperson appearing pro se.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Hi LawGoons, just wanted to step into this videogame lovefest to let you know I recently got divorced after nearly 20 years of marriage.

So yeah, add that to the pile of fun things that my law career has touched with its corrupting influence. Okay, so it's not all the law career that I know of, but though I tried to avoid it happening, I'm sure my general anxiety and hatred of my career certainly did spill over in wonderful ways at home. There is a lot more to it than that, and no, I did not act poorly or abusively or anything like that (just so you do not think I'm a raging or abusive rear end in a top hat - well, you may think that, but what can I do). But the divorce is final, and now I'm even more mentally hosed than normal. Hooray!

Won't you please join me in the inevitable forays into various E/N threads relating to dating, online dating, dealing with rejection and abandonment, and other fun matters.

Nothing says fun like a 40 year old man suddenly alone with no dating history or social life experience. Add in some standard Goon social anxiety and feelings of low self-worth, along with some other baggage and issues, and it's a non-stop thrill ride your whole family will enjoy!

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Okay for real someone needs to make a new thread with that as the opening post.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Nothing says fun like a 40 year old man suddenly alone with no dating history or social life experience. Add in some standard Goon social anxiety and feelings of low self-worth, along with some other baggage and issues, and it's a non-stop thrill ride your whole family will enjoy!

might I suggest hookers?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

might I suggest hookers?

No, I'm going to play videogames, my one stress relief item that occupies my mind and lets me breathe.

Then I will feel incredibly guilty, depressed, and self-deprecating about it, because I'm engaging in an isolating activity instead of being out meeting people, learning new cool skills and hobbies, and making myself a better and more interesting person like I am supposed to be doing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

No, I'm going to play videogames, my one stress relief item that occupies my mind and lets me breathe.

Then I will feel incredibly guilty, depressed, and self-deprecating about it, because I'm engaging in an isolating activity instead of being out meeting people, learning new cool skills and hobbies, and making myself a better and more interesting person like I am supposed to be doing.

Are you me?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't beat yourself up over playing videogames: you're going through a hard time and you're going to be doing some wallowing, and videogames are at least a decent distraction from that. It's not like normal people get divorced and immediately hit the social circuit as energized active go-getters and you'd seem weird if you did.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, if you're keeping it together at all you're doing OK. Give yourself some time. Sorry, man.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sorry about that, SlyFrog. That's a really, really tough thing to go through, particularly because work and the rest of life doesn't stop while you try to work through the trauma of the divorce too.

And I'll give a plus one to the "go play some videogames" crowd. They're a great way to burn off some stress in a relatively mindless way. Eventually you'll come up for air and want to do other things with your spare time as well, but don't begrudge a bit of wallowing in the mean time.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I am trying to break my typical self-berating habits and have some self-compassion about timing, healing, set-backs that will naturally occur in the process, etc., instead of mentally beating the poo poo out of myself. I think that I am doing fairly well with that.

I just know that I am introverted, and I do have to be careful not to hole up for too long like a hermit.

It is not like I went from being a social butterfly to a man crippled by an unexpected divorce, who is just out of the game for a while while he heals emotionally. I know that theoretically I need to use this as an opportunity to find out how to make myself happy. It is just that even that creates a pressure, because for Goony fucks like me, it is hard to know what is acceptable "sitting at home licking your wounds" behavior, and what is, "My god, get the gently caress out of your house, you loser," behavior.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2014

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does your insurance cover mental health treatment? Therapists are a pretty good idea for everyone, particularly when you're trying to figure out the edge between normal dealing with a trauma emotions and potential depression.

That said, I spend far too much time playing videogames myself and am not entirely sure the balance between normal recharging of batteries and unacceptable behavior. But I think the key isn't what someone else would judge you for, it's whether it leads you to being healthier and happier in the long term.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No kids, hopefully? If kids, yeah pull it together for them. They don't need to see dad wallowing (or wallow when you dint have them).

If no kids, gently caress it, take 6 months to play Dragon age or whatever the other lawyers play. Eventually you'll be ready to get back out there.

There are worse hobbies than video games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Quit being prejudiced against shutin introverts who love video games.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Quit being prejudiced against shutin introverts who love video games.

Also...play dragon age and you have THREE romance options, all of whom are better than your ex.

Soothing Vapors, have you gotten into Josephine's pants yet?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No kids, hopefully? If kids, yeah pull it together for them. They don't need to see dad wallowing (or wallow when you dint have them).

If no kids, gently caress it, take 6 months to play Dragon age or whatever the other lawyers play. Eventually you'll be ready to get back out there.

There are worse hobbies than video games.

I have two kids, but I am totally rocking it for them. One good thing is that they are both teenagers, so at least the basic process of divorce is not completely baffling to them - it is not as bad as trying to explain to a six year old why mommy and daddy will not be together anymore. Quite frankly, I think I'm doing a great job with them, and I have done my utmost to try to be as positive and comforting for them as possible. It kind of sucks, because there is an element of being with them that reminds me of my ex-wife and better times. But that is not their problem, so I suck it up and chin up in their presence.

I mean, I had them over to watch the Packers game yesterday - how much better can life be than that?

Anyway, I will try to not turn this into my personal E/N thread now. Thank you for being there and being kind, fellow LawGoons.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hey, do any of you plaintiff lawyer goons practice in Connecticut? If so, pm me for referral on a pretty epic fact pattern. Would take it myself but...you know...ethics.