Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

I wish this were ironic...

I looked at an rc ultralight and I don't understand what makes it different than other fixed wing RC planes that would warrant different laws

this just looks like an rc plane with a plastic man underneath and more frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I looked at an rc ultralight and I don't understand what makes it different than other fixed wing RC planes that would warrant different laws

this just looks like an rc plane with a plastic man underneath and more frame
It was a joke based on the fact that the FAA has very lenient regs for ultralight aircraft, but now strict regs for RC planes. To fly an ultralight you don't need a license, in fact you are "not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements!"

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Vitamin J posted:

It was a joke based on the fact that the FAA has very lenient regs for ultralight aircraft, but now strict regs for RC planes. To fly an ultralight you don't need a license, in fact you are "not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements!"

Ultralights are supposedly exempt because the low weight and speed (350 lb, 55 mph, or something like that) means that you can't do much damage with them.

A Phantom with a Go Pro on it, on the other hand, now that's just a disaster waiting to happen!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Donno, these RC quads have made quite a dent in my wallet. :unsmith:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
"12.a. Single Occupancy. An ultralight cannot be operated under Part 103 if
there is more than one occupant or if it has provisions for morere than one
occupant. "

I was thinking that might be an issue, but the wording means 0 occupants is just as fine as 1 occupant.

I think the biggest issue is not being able to exceed 55 knots (63mph) in level flight. But they say having inefficient props is perfectly acceptable method of limiting the speed.

There also are not any pesky LOS, altitude, or spotter limitations for some reason.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vitamin J posted:

oh. I saw some people flyin ultralights in the distance once near where I live. The only thing I learned from it is that you look super loving goofy sitting in an ultralight.

What does it actually cost to get a pilots license? Can it be done in simulator or do you have to rent out real planes for your 35-40 hours of flight experience (I am in no way interested in actually flying a full scale plane)

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

A Yolo Wizard posted:

oh. I saw some people flyin ultralights in the distance once near where I live. The only thing I learned from it is that you look super loving goofy sitting in an ultralight.

What does it actually cost to get a pilots license? Can it be done in simulator or do you have to rent out real planes for your 35-40 hours of flight experience (I am in no way interested in actually flying a full scale plane)

Well if we go full crazy town and assume a commercial license (the one that lets you get paid for flying) it's somewhere between 190 and 250 hours of flight time, including night and long flights, and a few practical exams.

It would pretty much ban the entire sector and put the country back years.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

Except that Ultralights (without a commercial license) cannot be used for commercial work.
FAR Part 103:
-Used only for sport and recreation
-Daylight operations only
-No operations over congested areas
-Used by a single occupant
-Maximum five gallons of fuel
-Yield right-of-way to all other aircraft
-Operation in controlled airspace and restricted areas requires prior permission

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Except that Ultralights (without a commercial license) cannot be used for commercial work.
FAR Part 103:
-Operation in controlled airspace and restricted areas requires prior permission

Lol by that definition if drones are aircraft then ultralights have to yield the right of way to drones :v:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

FAR Part 103:
From what I understand after listening to the AMA's live discussion today is that the FAA is trying to claim that "commercial" means more for UAS than it has in the past for manned aircraft. For instance, commercial aircraft are generally considered aircraft that are hired to carry passengers or cargo and the aircraft is primary to the business. Whereas commercial photography from a private plane does not require a commercial license because the flying is secondary to the business of photography. The FAA is now claiming that any business utilizing a UAS in any way is commercial use and requires a commercial pilots license.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

requires a commercial pilots license.

I don't think they're going to ask for full commercial rating and I don't think that some sort of licensing for a light weight UAS is out of order. Even PPL level ground school would go a long way and I would not have objected if they had introduced that here in Canada (which it looked like they were going to).
The medical requirement is kinda stupid, though.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I don't think they're going to ask for full commercial rating and I don't think that some sort of licensing for a light weight UAS is out of order. Even PPL level ground school would go a long way and I would not have objected if they had introduced that here in Canada (which it looked like they were going to).

I don't know where you posted the medical requirements part, but if it's just a "yearly physical" or similar that's not so bad. A CDL requires that just to make sure you are not likely to have major issues and risk injury to yourself or others while driving.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Quadcopters are difficult to fly. I don't have a huge open space, so I hit stuff a lot. But it's really gratifying to slowly see progress. I finally made it across the room, turned around, and flew back without slamming into anything (including the ceiling or floor!) landing gracefully still needs some work...

What would be a good option for a multi battery 1 cell charger? My nano qx uses 1s mCX batteries, thought about picking up like 4 more so I could have longer flight sessions and take short trips to the local rc friendly park.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

PirateDentist posted:

What would be a good option for a multi battery 1 cell charger? My nano qx uses 1s mCX batteries, thought about picking up like 4 more so I could have longer flight sessions and take short trips to the local rc friendly park.
E-Flite makes a 4 port charger explicitly for those 1-cells. I found 4 batteries could fly the nano continuously, as long as I took a short break between batteries to let the motors cool.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I hope you're right, and I definitely don't mind regulation, but we have to face facts. Real estate agents are buying Phantoms left and right, in 1 year the equivalent video quality will probably be achieved in something that fits in your palm and flies 99% autonomously. Think next-gen Parrot Drone targetting the mass market. The Iris+ will follow where ever your smartphone goes. The Inspire 1 has optical sensors to avoid obstacles without GPS lock, that technology is going to be on every drone soon and the precision will increase as fast as everything else.

So for these reasons, I don't think a real estate agent should required to have a license and a physical to fly a Phantom. I think it's a good idea to license operators of more advanced equipment or if they're going to fly around people or for the police/firefighters for example.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

BabelFish posted:

E-Flite makes a 4 port charger explicitly for those 1-cells. I found 4 batteries could fly the nano continuously, as long as I took a short break between batteries to let the motors cool.

you can also use a parallel charge board like this one for $8: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360900462506

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Speaking of quadcopters.

I'm building a 250 class FPV racer. I picked up a naze32. But in the process, I have a spare set of motors, and feel like building a second quadcopter.

What's on the menu, is the HK i86 controller, the MultiWii NanoWii, and the Hobby King KK clone board. What do you recomend?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Speaking of quadcopters.

I'm building a 250 class FPV racer. I picked up a naze32. But in the process, I have a spare set of motors, and feel like building a second quadcopter.

What's on the menu, is the HK i86 controller, the MultiWii NanoWii, and the Hobby King KK clone board. What do you recomend?

Another naze 32 :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kk2.x question. During a recent flight, I experienced an odd control problem. I was hovering at high (for me, maybe 100',) altitude, in attitude stabilization mode, and sensed that I was in a pretty strong headwind. When I released the pitch stick, the quad would move backwards, instead of a roughly stable hover.

Figuring it was just wind over the local ground clutter being different from the surface, I started a descent, which seemed to make it worse. I ended up in a descent, with full forward stick, with the quad at a 20° or 30° nose-high attitude. Luckily, it went through a tree, which somewhat cushioned the landing crash, and all I broke was a motor arm, and a prop. My first thought was that I got disoriented, and drove it into the ground because I thought the wrong way was forward, but I was pretty close to where it landed hit, and am absolutely sure it went in tail-first. The broken arm and prop are both on the tail-end, further proving that it went in rear end-first.

My concern is obvious. What could cause this, and what can I do to keep it from happening in the future? Would turning the stabilization off and flying manually fix the issue, or make it worse?

Also, could this be a stock-firmware issue? I've been unable to get this board to flash, so it's still the HK firmware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How long had you been in attitude stabilization mode? The gyro for that drifts and is not perfect. I never used it for extended attitude holding, just to correct attitude momentarily if the quad got out of whack. As far as I know, that's what it's for, "oh poo poo" moments where you need the computer to save you, basically.

If you balance your motors and props super accurately it will hold attitude for longer, but it will never just hold it endlessly.

Also, it's understanding of "level" is dependent on how flat of a surface it's on during calibration.

Someone more familiar with the kk guts can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nerobro posted:

Speaking of quadcopters.

How about another Naze with Cleanflight on it?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

BabelFish posted:

Good to know! I ordered a couple more batteries so I'll have 5 with the stock one.

CrazyLittle posted:

you can also use a parallel charge board like this one for $8: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360900462506

A cheap option, but I don't have a charger to use that with, and there's no balancing. So I got a HiTec X4 Micro on a black friday sale for $42. I found that one while looking up the E-Flite one.

Can set the charge rate, an audible alarm for when one is done, and it can take AC or DC power.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just bought a Hubsan X4 H107C from Banggood with a whole bunch of goodies (extra batteries, spare parts, etc)

I live in New Zealand, so Banggood is great because of the free shipping. Definitely a lot cheaper than visiting a local hobby store.

Are there any good resources or things I should know before flying this amazingly priced gizmo?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How long had you been in attitude stabilization mode? The gyro for that drifts and is not perfect. I never used it for extended attitude holding, just to correct attitude momentarily if the quad got out of whack. As far as I know, that's what it's for, "oh poo poo" moments where you need the computer to save you, basically.

If you balance your motors and props super accurately it will hold attitude for longer, but it will never just hold it endlessly.

Also, it's understanding of "level" is dependent on how flat of a surface it's on during calibration.

Someone more familiar with the kk guts can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

A few minutes, and it was windy as a sonofabitch, so mistakes were made. I guess I just figured a solid-state gyro wouldn't drift so much, so fast. Thanks.

The props are were balanced and eyeball-tracked, and it was reasonably smooth. I need to balance the motors themselves now, but haven't bothered, due to some of my FPV gear taking an inordinate amount of time to arrive.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

PirateDentist posted:

A cheap option, but I don't have a charger to use that with, and there's no balancing. So I got a HiTec X4 Micro on a black friday sale for $42. I found that one while looking up the E-Flite one.

Can set the charge rate, an audible alarm for when one is done, and it can take AC or DC power.

That's way better than the e-flite one and about the same price, now I'm jealous.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

BabelFish posted:

That's way better than the e-flite one and about the same price, now I'm jealous.

I'll make a post about it once I try it out. I'll hopefully be back in the air by then, since I just now ripped the wires out of a motor attempting to replace a prop. :suicide: Guess I'm not trying some outdoor flight today! I'm glad at least I decided to go with the hobby grade quad, so I can actually get replacement parts when I gently caress it all up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrYenko posted:

A few minutes, and it was windy as a sonofabitch, so mistakes were made. I guess I just figured a solid-state gyro wouldn't drift so much, so fast. Thanks.

The props are were balanced and eyeball-tracked, and it was reasonably smooth. I need to balance the motors themselves now, but haven't bothered, due to some of my FPV gear taking an inordinate amount of time to arrive.

I think for that rock-solid no drift attitude hold you need to add GPS

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Wojcigitty posted:

If anyone needs a flight controller cheap, Banggood is selling the CC3D for $16.99 with free shipping: http://www.banggood.com/OpenPilot-CC3D-Flight-Controller-STM32-32-bit-Flexiport-p-937044.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Odette posted:

Just bought a Hubsan X4 H107C from Banggood with a whole bunch of goodies (extra batteries, spare parts, etc)

I live in New Zealand, so Banggood is great because of the free shipping. Definitely a lot cheaper than visiting a local hobby store.

Are there any good resources or things I should know before flying this amazingly priced gizmo?

Nah, it's a great little quad and super stable out of the box. I've had my H107L now for a couple months and have yet to have a single bad incident with it, still on the original props. I kind of want prop guards just so I can start smoking into things :shobon:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Wojcigitty posted:

I wanted to go "somewhere else" with my choice. I ended up picking up a kk clone.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I want to stress that this isn't me, just a shot someone posted (without story) on a facebook group...but...drat:

If he had insurance then it's no big deal, but if not, that's well over 10k in damage.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That looks like a really hard impact. If only it hit the dirt rather than the concrete.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I think I learned two lessons today.

1. Don't try taking off a mostly untested plane with a crossward tail wind.
2. Make sure to power down the plane before the transmitter. Especially when it has rth on signal lose.

Thankfully the damage was minor from 1, and I realized what was happening instantly, and in time to grab the plane safely for 2. Not that it was likely to get air born with no elevator control thanks to the first issue causing a not so gentle landing.

I was under the impression most insurance you would get on a drone was for damage it might cause to other things, not itself. As in liability but not collision coverage.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Golluk posted:

I was under the impression most insurance you would get on a drone was for damage it might cause to other things, not itself. As in liability but not collision coverage.

You can get any sort you want to pay for.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I think I found a wind shear with my bixler 2. Except this one accelerated the plane down and onto the school roof that was the cause of the shear.

Landed alright though, and a nerve wracking ladder climb later I had it back.

The first landing was much better. And I still love using down flaps to push the plane down in a flared attitude. So easy, quick, and smooth.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Hard lessons learned:

Make sure your flight control board knows which way is forward, and right side up.

Buying extra props, is never enough.

250 class quads are REALLY SCARY.

Angle, and Horizon modes, are the "safe" modes. Not chosing those puts you in acro mode. Though..they feel the need not to label acro mode.

I have my FPV equipment in the mail. Everything except the FPV camera.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Now that you mention it, the prop and motor on my planes make me nervous. And those are in a relatively guarded place (Pusher, behind the wings). Putting 4 of those around the outside, and it really is a flying weed wacker.

I'm still a little unsure what they mean by learning to fly a quad manually. I was under the impression there is always some automatic control from the FC. Is Acro mode considered Manual? Does angle or horizon mode qualify?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

Hard lessons learned:

Make sure your flight control board knows which way is forward, and right side up.

Buying extra props, is never enough.

250 class quads are REALLY SCARY.

Angle, and Horizon modes, are the "safe" modes. Not chosing those puts you in acro mode. Though..they feel the need not to label acro mode.

I have my FPV equipment in the mail. Everything except the FPV camera.

Is that a kit or a scratch build?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that a kit or a scratch build?

Kit. The X-Factor Super Frame from Hobbyking.

But as per usual, there's no directions on how to assemble it. And no real recommended parts list. So, the component loadout is all me.

I went Naze32 for flight controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Golluk posted:

Now that you mention it, the prop and motor on my planes make me nervous. And those are in a relatively guarded place (Pusher, behind the wings). Putting 4 of those around the outside, and it really is a flying weed wacker.

I'm still a little unsure what they mean by learning to fly a quad manually. I was under the impression there is always some automatic control from the FC. Is Acro mode considered Manual? Does angle or horizon mode qualify?

Manual generally means flying in rate mode, IE no auto level, similar to how a helicopter flies. It's more challenging but you have way more control and capabilities, and gives a smoother ride in fpv. In all modes the FC is controlling the aircraft, multirotors can't really fly without some kind of stabilization. It's just that it does not return to level.