Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

My company won't give these to us even though I've showed them this page, because the police randomly stop by the office a few times per year and ask HR to show them every employed foreigner's work permit or we get fined. It doesn't matter if we aren't even in the office that day, they need to see the work permit right now.

I usually just find a way to trick one of the lowly HR people into giving me mine because I've actually been asked by the police to show it to them at midnight before.

It's literally an impossible scenario.

Have them make a copy; at least you'll have the numbers so if on the off chance a cop checks you (they won't) you can at least give them whatever info they need to look you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goldboilermark posted:

This is the best advice.

Yeah, if you're not being scammed you won't have any real problems so don't worry about the small stuff. Just smile, nod, give inconclusive answers if you don't want to commit to something, and enjoy the ride.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VideoTapir posted:

Have them make a copy; at least you'll have the numbers so if on the off chance a cop checks you (they won't) you can at least give them whatever info they need to look you up.

I once got stopped at the border trying to reenter China and they said they needed to see my work permit, since it was supposed to be on me at all times. I had a copy. They wanted the original.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

solution: do the obviously logical thing and stay in HK

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Why would I want to stay in Hong Kong?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

because im here and i love you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:wink:
:wmwink:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bad day posted:

Happy Fire Chicken Day, Chinagoons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVQe8ZE5_zY

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

fart simpson posted:

I once got stopped at the border trying to reenter China and they said they needed to see my work permit, since it was supposed to be on me at all times. I had a copy. They wanted the original.

So what ended up happening? Was it as hilarious a clusterfuck as I'm imagining?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cuatal posted:

So what ended up happening? Was it as hilarious a clusterfuck as I'm imagining?

No, they just kept me in a small interview room for about 10 minutes and asked like 3 more times to see the work permit, and I just said sorry, I don't have it. At the end they asked me my name and birthday and then let me go.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

At the end they asked me my name and birthday and then let me go.

lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did they get you anything?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah, they let me kip out on a chair in an empty room for 10 minutes, if that counts.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This actually reminds me of how I ting-bu-dong'ed my way into China. I washed my passport in Tokyo in 2012 and when I came back to China, the immigration guy said in English "This passport is bad" and I said "ting bu dong" and he said in Chinese "this passport is bad" and I said "ting bu dong" and he said again "this passport can't work, it is bad" and i said "dui bu qi ting bu dong" so he looked at me a hot second then he just stamped it and let me through lol

I literally ting bu donged my way into China in 2012

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

goldboilermark posted:

This actually reminds me of how I ting-bu-dong'ed my way into China. I washed my passport in Tokyo in 2012 and when I came back to China, the immigration guy said in English "This passport is bad" and I said "ting bu dong" and he said in Chinese "this passport is bad" and I said "ting bu dong" and he said again "this passport can't work, it is bad" and i said "dui bu qi ting bu dong" so he looked at me a hot second then he just stamped it and let me through lol

I literally ting bu donged my way into China in 2012

That's amazing and awesome.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Hokay, points taken about the FEC stuff - I appreciate the info, however it's phrased! :-)

About the FEC age thing, the reason I was thinking about age = value is because someone told me that it was good as a solid indicator of work experience in China and in an area. Of course, like pretty much everyone else, I would be neither surprised nor heartbroken to find out that he was bullshitting...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atopian posted:

Hokay, points taken about the FEC stuff - I appreciate the info, however it's phrased! :-)

About the FEC age thing, the reason I was thinking about age = value is because someone told me that it was good as a solid indicator of work experience in China and in an area. Of course, like pretty much everyone else, I would be neither surprised nor heartbroken to find out that he was bullshitting...

If you've worked in China for two years, they don't have to lie to the FSB about you and can easily just claim your past work experience. You don't need a little book to confirm that, the government can search your immigration history pretty easily.

EDIT: Essentially what happens is that most provinces and municipalities require you to have at least two prior years of work experience and the majority of people going to work in China don't have that. Since the FSB can't just call up places in your home country, they could but the time difference and cost prevents this, employers usually just lie and use fake documents. This is why you get people with fake diplomas working in China. Once you meet all of those pre-requisites in China, you're automatically the most desirable employee because they don't have to lie/bribe your way in and they know you won't run off in the middle of the night.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 28, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well, lots of bullshit happens and so is everyone's accumulated work experience! Just be prepared to be flexible on certain things except, holidays, and pay. What kind of policy does your company have when it comes to holidays? Anyways, this stuff will surface in the future

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Once you meet all of those pre-requisites in China, you're automatically the most desirable employee because they don't have to lie/bribe your way in and they know you won't run off in the middle of the night.

Yeah what most companies are looking for in terms of teachers is along the lines of: doesn't show up to work drunk, won't impregnate the students, will finish contract and not run away and/or yell at everyone all the time. Having completed one or two contracts in China proves you fit these qualifications.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

bad day posted:

Yeah what most companies are looking for in terms of teachers is along the lines of: doesn't show up to work drunk, won't impregnate the students, will finish contract and not run away and/or yell at everyone all the time. Having completed one or two contracts in China proves you fit these qualifications.

Or it proves you're a high-functioning alcoholic who carries an emergency stash of abortifacients and contraceptive pills. :greenangel:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

blinkyzero posted:

Or it proves you're a high-functioning alcoholic who carries an emergency stash of abortifacients and contraceptive pills. :greenangel:

Please stop talking about me behind my back :bahgawd:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

bad day posted:

The fact that these issues are so common as to be the base requirement for an employer makes it super hard to take ESL teaching seriously, even when someone is actually super dedicated and puts a lot of care into their work.

Like, which other fields have people show up to work drunk with this level of frequency? Coal mining? Construction work? Imagine talking to that one dude in the mine who takes his job super seriously and is always attempting to better himself and his craft. I mean sure, you're happy for him, but it's still "drat, this guy works in a coal mine surrounded by drunks."

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Welp

It looks like https://www.shooter.cn shut down. This was the best website for finding Chinese subtitles. Does anyone know of any other sites for getting subtitles in Chinese at?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aero737 posted:

Welp

It looks like https://www.shooter.cn shut down. This was the best website for finding Chinese subtitles. Does anyone know of any other sites for getting subtitles in Chinese at?

Seconding this, subtitle sites seem to all be gigantic piles of malware for some reason.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Well some Chinese people are pretty much constantly drunk at work. Drinking Baijiu at lunch and sleeping it off in the afternoon is a requisite for being a boss. I think in many ways Chinese business is still culturally in the early 1970's. But yeah, showing up drunk to teach children would probably get you on some kind of registry in the USA. A student from Korea was telling me that his IB teacher (at an international school) would show up drunk, give the class an assignment like "write two pages about potatoes" and go to sleep at his desk.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
If you use PPTV or whatever video player Chinese people always use, there's an auto-search for subtitles in the menu. The CCCP player also has a subtitle search. No need to go to a website.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bad day posted:

If you use PPTV or whatever video player Chinese people always use, there's an auto-search for subtitles in the menu. The CCCP player also has a subtitle search. No need to go to a website.

Trying to avoid malware here.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The last version of Xunlei player I used was relatively tame; you kill its process and it doesn't leave anything running.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Trying to avoid malware here.

Don't bother trying. Just give in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The China Megathread IV: Don't Bother Trying. Just Give In.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

LentThem posted:

Like, which other fields have people show up to work drunk with this level of frequency? Coal mining? Construction work? Imagine talking to that one dude in the mine who takes his job super seriously and is always attempting to better himself and his craft. I mean sure, you're happy for him, but it's still "drat, this guy works in a coal mine surrounded by drunks."

In my experience, bar work, factory work, cleaning, accountancy (afternoons only), DJing, wedding arrangement. Probably loads more, but I'm only going off what I personally know.

And no, it wasn't (usually) me.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Arglebargle III posted:

I think more dudes in the SE Asia thread say that than here.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Sure wish I had downloaded a good offline map on my Google Play using phone before I came. And my hostel wifi is too slow to even use a VPN properly. Also Beijing is cold.

On the plus side, delicious dried pea snacks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just get a 3G or LTE simcard

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Jeza posted:

Sure wish I had downloaded a good offline map on my Google Play using phone before I came. And my hostel wifi is too slow to even use a VPN properly. Also Beijing is cold.

On the plus side, delicious dried pea snacks.

Welcome to China

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012
Is this the right thread to post this? I've been living in China for a few years and I'm trying to bring my Chinese girlfriend back to the US for a visit this summer. I heard it is difficult to get a visa in this situation, she's saying that my mom and dad should send an invitation letter for her. Has anyone tried getting their so a visa? Is there any best way for it besides just having all the paperwork filled out?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BaiSha posted:

Is this the right thread to post this? I've been living in China for a few years and I'm trying to bring my Chinese girlfriend back to the US for a visit this summer. I heard it is difficult to get a visa in this situation, she's saying that my mom and dad should send an invitation letter for her. Has anyone tried getting their so a visa? Is there any best way for it besides just having all the paperwork filled out?

That's how you would get a visa for China.

I think you want this page (B-2 Visa):

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-niv-typeb1b2.asp

tl;dr - it looks like you need a form (which from my experience doesn't require any sort of invitation letter but double check), a passport, a passport photo, and $160.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

quote:

That you have a residence outside the United States, as well as other binding social or economic ties, that will ensure your return abroad at the end of your visit

This is the only part of the checklist that actually matters. If you girlfriend doesn't have money or property in her name good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BaiSha posted:

Yeah it's the right thread. And quite a few horror stories from US goons bringing their Chinese girlfriends for vacation. Then again, this stuff was a few years ago, so restrictions might be different now. Ask TheBuilder, his sister in law overstayed her tourist visa and is a black worker (aka hei gong, aka 黑工)

What's really important is your girlfriend's job and assets in China. If she's financially strong then State Department won't think she's trying to marry for a green card or over stay her visa.