Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nielsm posted:

That one has the "twist ball to scroll" function, right? Is that actually comfortable to use? It sounds really bad, especially since it requires two fingers instead of just one.

I really like it. You don't twist it like a big volume knob, it's more like a pivoting type motion where you keep your index stationary on top of the ball and use your middle finger to pivot the ball.

With scroll acceleration enabled in your OS or browser, it works super well. Especially with history back and middle click on the third and fourth buttons, for lazy one-handed browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Pretty massive discount on the Mionix 7000 series mice on Massdrop right now. Very well regarded mice, with the best optical sensor on the market (ADNS-3310) and good ergonomic or ambidextrous options. I'm considering grabbing a Naos for my ridiculous bear hands that make small mice hard to use.

Quick notes on Naos/Avior 7000:
- The Avior 7000 has a bit of a weird shape. The back of the mouse is sloped a bit high, which can give you the feeling that it is pressing into the palm of your hand. For me I adjusted to it pretty fast, but it might throw some people off. People have complained about the location of the side buttons as well, especially the offside ones. I will agree they are fairly easy to hit on accident but you definitely get used to them. You can also just disable them in the software if they are a problem for you.

- The default old firmware of the mouse has some bugs in it. Make sure you at least get the latest from their website. ALSO, the current firmware has a tiny bit of input lag in it, there is a new beta firmware for the Avior 7000 that fixes this but it's still a 'use it at your own risk' thing at the moment. You can grab it at the bottom of the OP here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1469836/mionix-avior-7000-first-impressions-review

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

FYI: Monoprice has rebranded Zowie mice on sale for their Black Friday deal -- looks like they have EC1s and AMs. I picked up an EC1 -- at $29 it's a freakin steal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140101&p_id=10230&seq=1&format=2

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
That's pretty much their normal price. Maybe a couple dollar difference

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Is the G502 or G402 supposed to be the successor to the MX518? I thought it's the G402, but if the G502 has the same shape plus a side-scrolling wheel and braided cable, it may be worth it.

Just went from a MX518 to a G502. The shape is actually very different. After using the 502 a couple days, for some reason, my thumb hurts, specifically the joint at the base of the thumb. I think there are two root causes, the "indent" where your thumb sits is much shallower which keeps your thumb much straighter, and while on a MX518 your thumb naturally sits on the "back" button on a G502 it sits on the "forward" button so hitting the "back" button requires an odd contortion.

I wish they made literally the MX518 shape with this sensor.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

illezt posted:

FYI: Monoprice has rebranded Zowie mice on sale for their Black Friday deal -- looks like they have EC1s and AMs. I picked up an EC1 -- at $29 it's a freakin steal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140101&p_id=10230&seq=1&format=2

Was searching for more info about this mouse. This eBay listing is one of the first links.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 1, 2014

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chuu posted:

Just went from a MX518 to a G502. The shape is actually very different. After using the 502 a couple days, for some reason, my thumb hurts, specifically the joint at the base of the thumb. I think there are two root causes, the "indent" where your thumb sits is much shallower which keeps your thumb much straighter, and while on a MX518 your thumb naturally sits on the "back" button on a G502 it sits on the "forward" button so hitting the "back" button requires an odd contortion.

Logitech has to make compromises to accommodate the huge variation in grip styles. Your thumb might be sitting naturally on the forward button, but for me it sits naturally on the back button. I actually want a mouse where they move the forward/back buttons backwards but I've yet to find one.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
There should be a service that offers custom mouse molding. You go in and they fit you for a mouse like they do for race car seats. The cost might end up being more than $100, I'm guessing at least $150 if not $160.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eriddy posted:

There should be a service that offers custom mouse molding. You go in and they fit you for a mouse like they do for race car seats. The cost might end up being more than $100, I'm guessing at least $150 if not $160.

Yea right. You realize something as simple as custom ear plugs cost $100+

You are talking custom molding a mouse which has moving parts and electronics.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Yea right. You realize something as simple as custom ear plugs cost $100+

You are talking custom molding a mouse which has moving parts and electronics.

Earplugs need a lot more precision though, as even a tiny error could render the entire piece unusable - best case uncomfortable to use, worst case won't fit in your ear. On the other hand, a mouse is large enough that you can make sections of it modular and attach differently shaped grips. Don't need a lot of precision for custom grip shapes because your hand can adjust to error easily.

I don't think it's feasible due to the volume you would need to keep the price low, but it's not that difficult to implement.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

isndl posted:

Earplugs need a lot more precision though, as even a tiny error could render the entire piece unusable - best case uncomfortable to use, worst case won't fit in your ear. On the other hand, a mouse is large enough that you can make sections of it modular and attach differently shaped grips. Don't need a lot of precision for custom grip shapes because your hand can adjust to error easily.

I don't think it's feasible due to the volume you would need to keep the price low, but it's not that difficult to implement.

Thats still alot different though from "You go in and they fit you for a mouse like they do for race car seats."

isndl
May 2, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Thats still alot different though from "You go in and they fit you for a mouse like they do for race car seats."

How so? Go into a store, get your mold adjusted to your grip, they bust out the 3D scanner/printer and put a rubberized coating on the mouse after attaching the newly printed parts. They might not be using a literal mold the way they do for car seats, but the general concept is the same. A hobbyist could do it right now if they had the mouse chassis available.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

isndl posted:

How so? Go into a store, get your mold adjusted to your grip, they bust out the 3D scanner/printer and put a rubberized coating on the mouse after attaching the newly printed parts. They might not be using a literal mold the way they do for car seats, but the general concept is the same. A hobbyist could do it right now if they had the mouse chassis available.

Thought you meant just have a bunch of different premade grips you swap out.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

illezt posted:

I've never bought anything from monoprice before. Do they mess around with their rebranded products, or is this a simple sticker on an intact zowie product?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

eriddy posted:

As long as I can have my mouse done in Leather from my choice of animal in my choice of colour; and carbon fibre highlights; I'm entirely amenable to this. Let's do keyboards too. And computer cases. (Yes, I'm aware EVGA already has a real carbon fibre mouse.)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've never bought anything from monoprice before. Do they mess around with their rebranded products, or is this a simple sticker on an intact zowie product?

I've had some monoprice rebranded usb hubs and they were identical to the original ones but with a different label. I think they just purchase them from the same Chinese OEM that manufactures for the primary company.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chuu posted:

I was originally looking at the G402, but review indicate the G502 is slightly more comfortable, specifically with respect to the thumbrest. Can anyone speak to this? I have average to slightly short finger and use a mostly claw/slightly palm grip. The best way to describe my hand position is that the back button on the MX518 doesn't take any effort to hit, but I have to reach for the forward button.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 1, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Rexxed posted:

I've had some monoprice rebranded usb hubs and they were identical to the original ones but with a different label. I think they just purchase them from the same Chinese OEM that manufactures for the primary company.
It's almost certainly a wholesale license from Zowie itself, otherwise that would be pure indefensible patent infringement. They even have the model designation in the name. Zowie is on the small side for a gaming company so I don't doubt they'd use this to increase their distribution potential and receive their fee in the process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's almost certainly a wholesale license from Zowie itself, otherwise that would be pure indefensible patent infringement.

This hasn't stopped monoprice in the past.

http://www.cnet.com/news/klipsch-monoprice-settle-patent-dispute-over-speakers/

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I accidentally posted this in the keyboard thread, so this time I'll do it right.

Can anyone comment on the shape/size/comfort of the Steelseries Rival compared to say, the G500s and the Mionix Naos? It looks like it might be pretty comfortable but my issue with Logitechs mice are entirely that they're too narrow, and it gets very uncomfortable to curl my ring and pinky fingers over to grip the side. The Naos works because of the ring finger shelf, which even though its too far back to actually rest my finger on entirely, gives me a place to sit the tips of my fingers.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

It's almost certainly a wholesale license from Zowie itself, otherwise that would be pure indefensible patent infringement. They even have the model designation in the name. Zowie is on the small side for a gaming company so I don't doubt they'd use this to increase their distribution potential and receive their fee in the process.

Both of them have the Zowie logo printed on the mouse underneath the Monoprice one.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My MX518 is starting to make little jumpy jittery movements without the mouse actually moving. Sometimes if I let it go, I'll watch the cursor slowly and jaggedly move across the screen (while the mouse is still).

Has anyone had this issue before? Is it fixable or is it time for a new mouse? I really like this mouse and I don't want to see it go.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Stumpus posted:

My MX518 is starting to make little jumpy jittery movements without the mouse actually moving. Sometimes if I let it go, I'll watch the cursor slowly and jaggedly move across the screen (while the mouse is still).

Has anyone had this issue before? Is it fixable or is it time for a new mouse? I really like this mouse and I don't want to see it go.

Get a can of compressed air and blast the sensor a bit. Could be a bit of dust or something that is throwing the sensor off.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

redstormpopcorn posted:

Both of them have the Zowie logo printed on the mouse underneath the Monoprice one.
Pasted over crudely like a stolen image gets re-watermarked, or as an official collaboration?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Pasted over crudely like a stolen image gets re-watermarked, or as an official collaboration?

Just click the link and look at the pictures.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Seems pretty lucrative for Zowie! Good for them, and anyone who buys it for 30 dollars because the EC1 is loving excellent.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the Monoprice EC1 has been discontinued. Yesterday was your last chance to buy one. I actually ordered one, cancelled the order, came back today to see if it was still $30, and proceeded to kick myself. I'm sending support an e-mail now to see if I can un-cancel the order.

They still have the MP-AM and the MP-MiCo (other Zowie rebadges) but I am guessing these are also going to be discontinued if they sell out.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 2, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yeah, I pulled the trigger on the AM. I've been real stubborn about not buying a good gaming mouse over $50 and now it has paid off, and on my ideal brand of mice, too!

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 2, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just FYI, that Massdrop deal on the Avior and Naos 7000 got plenty enough people to drop the price down to $40 for either one. There's still 6 hours to get in on it if you were interested: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mionix-avior-7000?mode=guest_open

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

eriddy posted:

Try $500-$600, custom made anything is expensive.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'd like some advice on a mouse specifically for a fingertip grip. I would like it still have side buttons though as well?

Is there a decent list of options?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm using a Razer Abyssus right now, overall like it, but I'd really like to have a mouse that gives more support for my inner palm. I'm not really sure what the sort of grip I use is called (I can't make it match the descriptions I read), but it has my wrist resting on the mousepad and only my fingers resting on the mouse (photo), and what I'm looking for is something that lets me use the mouse with more than wrist twisting but also not sliding my wrist around on the pad.
Also, I prefer mice with fewer buttons, in particular I have a strong dislike for thumb buttons. I also prefer wired mice.

Any recommendations?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

The G700s is on sale for $50, worth it for an upgrade from an MX518?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The 02 line is all optical and would probably suit you better as an upgrade from the mx518 if you're at all picky about such things (g700s is laser). I seem to remember people complaining about short battery life on the G700s also.

If you really want a wireless mouse, look at the g602, which Amazon has for $53. Otherwise the G502 has the best features (not all of which may be of interest to you) but also the highest price, while the g302 is lighter in weight, features, and price.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 7, 2014

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

kaschei posted:

The 02 line is all optical and would probably suit you better as an upgrade from the mx518 if you're at all picky about such things (g700s is laser). I seem to remember people complaining about short battery life on the G700s also.

If you really want a wireless mouse, look at the g602, which Amazon has for $53. Otherwise the G502 has the best features (not all of which may be of interest to you) but also the highest price, while the g302 is lighter in weight, features, and price.

Cool, I'll probably wait then. I really just want a wireless 518 with another button or two.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My zowie am arrived yesterday. The rubber coating is actually kind of slippery. Anything I can do about that? Otherwise it fits my hand nicely and performs well so far.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for a mouse to use at work that's roughly the size of the Logitech G600. Suggestions?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a specialty mouse.

I'm trying to find a handheld, wired, trackball mouse. It needs to be of good quality, especially for the mouse buttons. I've started to get pains in my wrist from my job as a QA for a call center. It requires a lot of clicking around, so I figured why not just completely remove my mouse from my desk. I know they make decent presenter handheld mice, but handheld trackballs that are wired don't really seem to be a thing.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SlayVus posted:

I'm looking for a specialty mouse.

I'm trying to find a handheld, wired, trackball mouse. It needs to be of good quality, especially for the mouse buttons. I've started to get pains in my wrist from my job as a QA for a call center. It requires a lot of clicking around, so I figured why not just completely remove my mouse from my desk. I know they make decent presenter handheld mice, but handheld trackballs that are wired don't really seem to be a thing.

Yeah, the trackball market is really not that big these days.

Is this what you want?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/257073-REG/Listec_A_1646_A_1646_Hand_Held_Mini_Trackball.html%5C

That looks terrible to me compared to a normal trackball, and there seems to be a lot cheaper options if you are fine going wireless.

EDIT:

These too, this place seems to stock all manner of weird input devices:

http://www.suntekstore.com/category-144-b0-mouse_keyboards.html

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I was originally looking at the G402, but review indicate the G502 is slightly more comfortable, specifically with respect to the thumbrest. Can anyone speak to this? I have average to slightly short finger and use a mostly claw/slightly palm grip. The best way to describe my hand position is that the back button on the MX518 doesn't take any effort to hit, but I have to reach for the forward button.
As a follow-up, I ordered a G502 sight unseen and it arrive today. Initial impressions without any extra weights or installing the drivers, the DPI switching is pretty cool, the extra buttons are pretty intuitive, and the braided cable is awesome.

Base weight is a little higher than the MX518 but not uncomfortably so. Of course, I haven't fired up Starcraft 2 or Counter-Strike yet, but it seems alright.

Ergonomics, the "hump" for your palm is more pronounced. Time will tell whether this is uncomfortable. Along with flatter left and right clicks that I like, it reminds me of a Razer Boomslang.

Importantly, the forward/back thumb buttons are now easily reachable; the forward button was too hard to hit on my MX518 (and MX510 before that).

The free scrolling wheel, I've experienced before with my MX Anywhere and it's great here, though the wheel itself is a bit heavier than I'd like.

All in all, my initial impression is a solid A.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 12, 2014