Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Monster Mash posted:

Unlimited use 50hp heal in combat only

Of note, it can only be used once per round.

Monster Mash posted:

Yeah for whatever reason. I believe it's because Death is considered a debilitating effect.

Yeah, Instant Death is an ailment in EO, that might have carried over to PQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh my god

How can impure reach affect instant death?

that's disgusting

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
"Well I'm getting a bit tired of the second labyrinth, good thing I'm done with the third floor now and can move on to the boss"
Fourth floor is a normal floor, Jesus. :cry:

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cake Attack posted:

oh my god

How can impure reach affect instant death?

that's disgusting

It's completely absurd. One cast of mahama/mudo will clear any group of enemies that don't resist it. Two casts will clear groups that do resist it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Where is the Love Potion in the second labyrinth? Teddie is very unhelpful in finding it.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
^^ You can find the Love Potion right here

Gotta ask the greatest mystery of PQ HEAVY SPOILERS

Will Koromaru be petted by Kanji? :3:

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 1, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey second stratum.

I love the new enemies that outrun everybody but Yosuke, hit for half of everybody's HP, bind their magic at the same time, and come in either swarms or with paralyzing enemies.

:suicide:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh hey second stratum.

I love the new enemies that outrun everybody but Yosuke, hit for half of everybody's HP, bind their magic at the same time, and come in either swarms or with paralyzing enemies.

:suicide:

There's a reason Yosuke has Tentarafoo. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Do Zen and Rei ever get good? My Party is lvl 18, theyre a bit behind at lvl 13 but the dmg output from the spells is abysmal. Great utility unit and no persona required, but still feels a bit like dead weight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're not terrible but the lack of a Persona is honestly pretty crippling.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FrickenMoron posted:

Do Zen and Rei ever get good? My Party is lvl 18, theyre a bit behind at lvl 13 but the dmg output from the spells is abysmal. Great utility unit and no persona required, but still feels a bit like dead weight.

They're pretty versatile, and if you level them up more they'll learn skills that boost their elemental damage.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I only played the EO4 demo and enjoyed it but thought the lack of story or whatever a narrative would pull it down. Would I like this game?!? (i love p3 and p4)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I only played the EO4 demo and enjoyed it but thought the lack of story or whatever a narrative would pull it down. Would I like this game?!? (i love p3 and p4)

Probably.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

in short yes.

spoilers for the skill set I guess

I'm at the end of the third dungeon and Zen and Rei own now. Zen's spells are super cheap compared to the tier 2 ones and you unlock a couple of passives that increase their damage. Rei is the same in that she gets some really cheap heals that eventually get a passive that bumps it up to roughly the next tier of spells. She also gets a attack and defense buff for the party and a rad passive that I think gives the party members in the same row as her a 50% chance to block status effects .

Overall Zen and Rei are pretty good but pretty much the definition of jack-of-all-trades so I can totally see dropping them if you wanted to go in a more specialized direction for you party.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

theshim posted:

Characters are not even remotely balanced in this game. Compare Yukari and Junpei to Mitsuru and Akihiko, they get clobbered.
You're comparing them at one point in time. Each character has a pretty irregular stat curve. For example Mitsuru's stats take off towards the end game and she becomes one of the better characters.

Basically I think they balanced all the character stats towards being good at certain parts of the game if you weren't too good with the subpersona system, and figured you'd always have at least some characters who are doing well at any given point in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

You're comparing them at one point in time. Each character has a pretty irregular stat curve. For example Mitsuru's stats take off towards the end game and she becomes one of the better characters.

Basically I think they balanced all the character stats towards being good at certain parts of the game if you weren't too good with the subpersona system, and figured you'd always have at least some characters who are doing well at any given point in the game.

Mitsuru begins as one of the better characters, just for having a cheap cast-all panic attack as a default ability. If you give her the LU-AGI Braclet she also becomes hilariously fast.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

This is going to sound really dumb but how the gently caress do you get out of the help screen? I had to close the game and restart before it went back to normal. Did they really forget to make a back button there?

e: apparently the blue/yellow corner border is a button in PQ UI school of design.

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 1, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Yeah that help menu is really weird, i thought you had to quit the game to get out the first time.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
help i married teddie, the game is trolling me back

at least gimme kanji
e: "The punishment is effective against robots as well" Aigis is the best character.
e2: That was a guardian?

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 1, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's your soul mate though. Together forever, live with your mistakes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, I found a great grinding spot for the late-game. The quest boss at the end of the third labyrinth (have to get to floor 3 of labyrinth 4 to unlock) rewards about 13,500 experience per character when you defeat it and it's really easy as long as you have someone with Silence Circle and Binding Hands. It almost never physically attacks and when it does, its attacks are wimpy. Even if you can't magic bind it, it's basically a less dangerous Old Doll; Evil Smile, Mudoon (instead of Mamudoon) and Agidyne/Maragidyne are its main attacks. It does act twice a turn, but it's really not that bad and it does seem very easy to get magic bind to stick on it.

Like all FOEs, it respawns as soon as you leave the labyrinth, and it's literally two steps from the labyrinth's final entry point, so it's super easy to farm.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Lunar Suite posted:

help i married teddie, the game is trolling me back

at least gimme kanji
e: "The punishment is effective against robots as well" Aigis is the best character.
e2: That was a guardian?

I'm curious as to which questions lead to which character. The first question of the dungeon is really weird and makes me think Ken is a possible choice. Please tell me I'm wrong and it's always Teddie please.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Toadsniff posted:

I'm curious as to which questions lead to which character. The first question of the dungeon is really weird and makes me think Ken is a possible choice. Please tell me I'm wrong and it's always Teddie please.

The first questions pretty much asks if you like dudes. And yes, you can get Ken.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game is Persona As gently caress.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Naoto? I-is that you?

Bonus Junpei

gently caress me this game is ugly.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zurai posted:

Alright, I found a great grinding spot for the late-game. The quest boss at the end of the third labyrinth (have to get to floor 3 of labyrinth 4 to unlock) rewards about 13,500 experience per character when you defeat it and it's really easy as long as you have someone with Silence Circle and Binding Hands. It almost never physically attacks and when it does, its attacks are wimpy. Even if you can't magic bind it, it's basically a less dangerous Old Doll; Evil Smile, Mudoon (instead of Mamudoon) and Agidyne/Maragidyne are its main attacks. It does act twice a turn, but it's really not that bad and it does seem very easy to get magic bind to stick on it.

Like all FOEs, it respawns as soon as you leave the labyrinth, and it's literally two steps from the labyrinth's final entry point, so it's super easy to farm.

first time i fought that thing naoto landed salome's kiss on the first round and he didn't get to act for the rest of the fight, it was a massacre.

Toadsniff posted:

you can end up with any named character, up to and including the secondary protagonist, navigators, and the velvet room four.

edit: vv you can redo it as many times as you like after you beat the boss. i've heard you can't anymore once you unlock the fifth labyrinth though.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I'm definitely keeping a save before the destined partner event so I can redo it. I can redo it right? :magical:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
loving christ.

If I had a dollar for every fight that Naoto hasn't been immediately head bound or focused down on turn 1 by these cupid assholes I'd be the richest man alive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do you have her in the front row or something? Because you shouldn't have her in the front row. Also I've not seen a cupid enemy yet that hasn't been weak to instant death. Naoto's really, really good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zurai posted:

The quest boss at the end of the third labyrinth (have to get to floor 3 of labyrinth 4 to unlock) rewards about 13,500 experience per character when you defeat

Just a correction here. It rewards 96,875 experience per character. I forgot the experience displayed was the actual per-character amount. Basically, it's a full level per kill, and a level and a half when you get the Finish Bonus.

Anyone know what causes Finish Bonus? My best guess is to end the fight with 4 or 5 characters in Boost state, but it doesn't seem to be guaranteed because I always end this fight with at least 4 people in Boost and have only gotten it twice.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Do you have her in the front row or something? Because you shouldn't have her in the front row. Also I've not seen a cupid enemy yet that hasn't been weak to instant death. Naoto's really, really good.

Back row. Usually focus one down with my frontliners then she gets oneshotted by archers. I have the strongest armor I can buy. It's getting better as I progress but drat it sucks when I have to leave when one fight goes completely haywire.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Oh man I had no idea impure reach affected Hama/Mudo. I gave Naoto that skill card because of her already high luck and now I see why her Mahamaon and Mamudoon keep clearing literally everything.

I guess there isn't a list of which skill cards you can get from which personas, is there?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

Anyone know what causes Finish Bonus? My best guess is to end the fight with 4 or 5 characters in Boost state, but it doesn't seem to be guaranteed because I always end this fight with at least 4 people in Boost and have only gotten it twice.

I think All Out Attacks do that if that's how you finish them off. I know I've always gotten the bonus when that happens, anyway.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Where do you get the Impure Reach skill card?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neeksy posted:

Oh man I had no idea impure reach affected Hama/Mudo. I gave Naoto that skill card because of her already high luck and now I see why her Mahamaon and Mamudoon keep clearing literally everything.

I guess there isn't a list of which skill cards you can get from which personas, is there?

You can get skill cards from personas? Do you have to sacrifice them or something?

Now I want that skillcard.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I just put Incubus on her and she got it through that. I'm having her act as an Arcanist on top of that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Couple questions. Is it generally a bad idea to put a front row character in the back, or can there be a tactically advantageous reason to change it up?
I'm not clear on how skill cards are gained or work. Someone explain them please.

Also, Elizabeth gently swaying back and forth on the chair in the nurse's office is extremely :3:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Sometimes I'll throw Naoto up front to use a poison attack and then switch back when it lands. Dunno if there's a ranged variant.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Vengarr posted:

You can get skill cards from personas? Do you have to sacrifice them or something?

Now I want that skillcard.

The JP wiki posted here a few days ago mentions which persona give which skill cards, but I have no idea how to actually get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Couple questions. Is it generally a bad idea to put a front row character in the back, or can there be a tactically advantageous reason to change it up?
I'm not clear on how skill cards are gained or work. Someone explain them please.

Also, Elizabeth gently swaying back and forth on the chair in the nurse's office is extremely :3:

You get skill cards from quest rewards and by a velvet room option that unlocks between the 2nd and 3rd dungeon. For the velvet room thing you just sacrafice a persona with a card next to it's name to get a skill card.

As for how they work you just use them to attach said skill to a party member's default persona so they can use the skill whenever. You get 8 slots per persona for skill cards.

• Locked thread