Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Excels posted:

This happens infrequently, to the point where people were saying it would become a feature or something. You will occasionally see random characters using other weapons/movesets. I've seen numerous characters using Link's default moveset, almost always when this happens they are wielding 8-bit weapons.

No, I know. It happened on the master quest map too. I was saying nobody mentioned that specific swap yet and it looks weird because they have really different fighting styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I wonder if this is all because of the summoning gate glitch.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
There was definitely a map I was playing the other day where I saw Shiek using Zelda's Rapier (and it wasn't the 8-bit white sword) either on the master quest or Twilight map

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, Zelda came at me with Link's moves last night.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don't think you can use Amazon gift cards to buy other gift cards.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about with eshop cards being overpriced, they cost exactly how much you get on your account. As for issues using them, sounds like the people writing those reviews are just complete idiots, because redeeming them is extremely easy.

Actually, looking at what I can find on Amazon, the Nintendo eshop cards seem to cost more than they're worth there for some reason. That's...incredibly stupid.

Llednar Twem fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 30, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fix posted:

Yeah, Zelda came at me with Link's moves last night.

But did she use Link's sound effects?

Llednar Twem posted:

Actually, looking at what I can find on Amazon, the Nintendo eshop cards seem to cost more than they're worth there for some reason. That's...incredibly stupid.

What the gently caress

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This is impressive and also demonstrates how much the Master Sword owns: http://youtu.be/Du24vxb6lPs

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Is there any way to make big bosses (like Ghoma) automatically do their attack which exposes their weakpoint? I can't beat 3 of them in 10 minutes if they don't do those attacks.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Is there any way to make big bosses (like Ghoma) automatically do their attack which exposes their weakpoint? I can't beat 3 of them in 10 minutes if they don't do those attacks.

I don't think you can force them, but standing directly in front of them seems to make them extremely likely to use their attack which exposes their weakpoint.

Failing that, use Focus Spirit and press A while in focus spirit to make your focus spirit expose their weakness. Save up your magic meter for when the enemy just won't cooperate.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can I waste item cards in adventure mode by trying to use them where it's not possible? I'd like to bumble my way through this without resorting to a guide, but if I'm going to use up my items by trying on my own and getting it wrong, gently caress that I'll use a guide.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Yes you can waste them. Your character will just spin around and nothing happens.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If you gently caress up you can force-quit out of the game before it saves and retry it. Compasses will tell you where to use an item, but not what item needs to be used.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So if I waste items how do I get them back? Replaying missions?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Exit the game via the home menu and you'll be back at your last save, before you used the items. Or just use a guide!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Exit the game via the home menu and you'll be back at your last save, before you used the items. Or just use a guide!

This guide business sounds like the best idea.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

So if I waste items how do I get them back? Replaying missions?

The items will pop back up on played missions after a while, and then can be re-earned. You'll have to do this if you want to search every square that requires it anyway, since there's no easy way to stockpile them.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I love playing coop on this game. It makes many of the tough levels where enemy troops love to bum-rush your base much more enjoyable. The strategy of one person playing defensively and the other offensively works really well.

I love teaming up with mama cucco too. There's something oddly satisfying about having "Mama Cucco defeated Link" appear on screen.

Concerning the new DLC pack, I was really hoping for Stalfos Link as a playable character. That would be awesome and probably relatively easy to put in. On the less realistic side, I want to play as that huge kikwi guy, body slamming everything.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

MustelaFuro posted:

Concerning the new DLC pack, I was really hoping for Stalfos Link as a playable character.

I didn't think it'd be a new character but I was at least hoping for that as a costume for Link.

On the subject of characters using others' movesets, I was browsing Miiverse and somebody took a shot of Midna using Link's sword.

One more thing, has anyone found any good squares on the TP map to farm the giant bosses? I was doing some Master Quest stuff tonight and getting weapons instead of materials, and thinking that the TP map's way of doing drops might help, since giant boss materials are really the biggest things preventing me from getting decent badges on my characters.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Twelve by Pies posted:

I didn't think it'd be a new character but I was at least hoping for that as a costume for Link.

On the subject of characters using others' movesets, I was browsing Miiverse and somebody took a shot of Midna using Link's sword.

One more thing, has anyone found any good squares on the TP map to farm the giant bosses? I was doing some Master Quest stuff tonight and getting weapons instead of materials, and thinking that the TP map's way of doing drops might help, since giant boss materials are really the biggest things preventing me from getting decent badges on my characters.

Some of the enemies in the "Team up..." maps summon giant bosses, and will resummon them if left alone. I don't know how long that goes on for, though. I've only let them summon two before.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Alright, I got this put together again, so here's a list of the faster mission types on the Twilight Map and who's in them. As always, the rows are A-H and the columns are 1-16, with A1 being in the top left, even though in this case a chunk of the edges aren't levels at all.

- Defeat Giant Bosses:

B6 - Gohma + Imprisoned
F12 - King Dodongo + Manhandla

Note: The second level there is probably not worth it, but the first is a pretty fast way to kill an Imprisoned for two drops with the added bonus of Gohma drops and even traitorous Ghirahim drops if you need those. This is a map where that strategy with Link's Master Sword for murdering giant bosses quickly can really shine.

- Kill X enemies in Y minutes / Rack KO Count maps:

** Kill X in Y
E7 - 4x Argorok, Sheik, Ruto, Lana, Stalmasters
E12 - 2x Gohma, Dark Lana, Dark Impa, Darknuts

** Rack Up KOs
A5 - Manhandla, King Dodongo, Volga, Dinolfos, Lizalfos
E10 - 2x King Dodongo, Sheik, Darunia, Ruto, Aeralfos
G12 - King Dodongo, Manhandla, Link, Wizzro, Zelda, Moblins

- Balanced Attack:
In these missions, you're supposed to hurt each set of enemies at the same time, or at least not hurt one too much without touching the other. If their health values get too far apart, they'll heal up to the highest remaining health value of the set. This stops once all enemies in the set are brought down to a low enough health.

Also, you're supposed to kill each enemy in the set at the same time or close to it. Failure to do so will allow the remaining enemy or enemies to fully heal. Even though this says Mission Failed when it happens, it does not lock you out of an A Rank.

The best way to tackle these missions is to use a character with a Special Attack that is easy to connect on all enemies in a set at once (either something like Ganondorf's long reaching lightning beam or something like Sheik's huge radius around her body). Make smart use of the Transport Captains that drop SP Full pieces, and if you have to, run away and beat on trash mobs to get more special meter back.

C4 - 2x Dark Shield Moblin, 2x Dark Cia, 3x Dark Ruto
D10 - 2x Dark Dinolfos, 2x Dark Zelda, 3x Dark Link
F2 - 2x Dark Darknut, 2x Dark Agitha, 3x Dark Midna
G7 - 2x Dark Lizalfos, 2x Dark Sheik, 3x Dark Ghirahim
H4 - 2x Dark Icy Big Poe, 2x Dark Zant, 3x Dark Lana

- Team Up
These maps are somewhat complex to explain but mostly fast to execute. The first pair of enemies listed in parentheses is an initial choice when the mission starts. You rendezvous with one of the enemies, then the other temporarily retreats. The second grouping of enemies (after the first arrow) is another choice, but this time you kill one of the PCs while the other eventually switches sides to join you. Finally, the last group of enemies will all come out, and you'll have to take down the two PCs you spurned in the first two choices.

Admittedly I have not played through all these stages in all the permutations possible, so there could be differences based on ally choice that aren't reflected in these notes.

B8 - (Zant or Fi) -> Link + Hylians or Cia + Aeralfos -> (Fi or Zant), (Link or Cia), (Dark Fi or Dark Zant), (Dark Link or Dark Cia, Icy Big Poes and Fi summoned Gohma
B12 - (Zant or Twili Midna) -> Fi + Hylians or Ghirahim + Moblins -> (Ghirahim or Fi), (Zant or Twili Midna), (Dark Ghirahim or Dark Fi), (Dark Zant or Dark Twili Midna), Gibdos
C2 - (Ganondorf or Agitha) -> Darunia + Gorons or Ruto + Hylians -> (Darunia or Ruto), (Ganondorf or Agitha), (Dark Darunia or Dark Ruto), (Dark Ganondorf or Dark Agitha), Dinolfos
C10 - (Agitha or Lana) -> Midna + Darknut or Cia + 2x Stalmaster -> (Agitha or Lana), (Midna or Cia), (Dark Midna or Dark Cia), ReDead Knights
D3 - (Volga or Impa) -> Zelda + Hylians or Wizzro + Big Poes -> (Volga or Impa), (Zelda or Wizzro), (Dark Volga or Dark Impa), (Dark Zelda or Dark Wizzro), Shield Moblins and Wizzro summoned 2x Gohma
D15 - (Link or Volga) -> Lana + 2x Hylian Captain or Cia + 3x Gibdo -> (Link or Volga), (Lana or Cia), Lizalfos and Lana summoned Gohma
E11 - (Volga or Wizzro) -> Lana + Hylian Captain or Sheik + Goron Captain -> (Volga or Wizzro), (Lana or Sheik), (Dark Lana or Dark Sheik), Aeralfos and Wizzro summoned King Dodongo
G3 - (Link or Ghirahim) -> Zelda + Hylians or Zant + Dinolfos -> (Link or Ghirahim), (Zelda or Zant), (Dark Link or Dark Ghirahim), (Dark Zelda or Dark Zant), Fiery Aeralfos and Zelda summoned 2x Imprisoned
H6 - (Sheik or Ruto) -> Impa + Hylian Captain or Darunia + Goron Captain -> (Sheik or Ruto), (Impa or Darunia), (Dark Impa or Dark Darunia), Big Poes

Note: G3 might be another good one for farming Imprisoned materials, giving you a shot at 4 of them at least, but it might not be as time efficient as doing the Defeat Giant Boss level(s).

- Divisive Plan
In each of these missions, the starting PCs will divide into two after taking a certain amount of damage. The copies will have lower health and also lower morale, I believe. This will happen again, meaning each starting PC will eventually end up as 4 relatively weak ones, all with a chance (not a guarantee) of dropping 1-2 materials each. I've seen anywhere between 7 and 15 boss materials in one run, depending on if there were 2 or 3 PCs to start.

B11 - 2x Dark Agitha
C8 - 2x Dark Midna
C13 - 3x Dark Fi
D4 - 2x Dark Zelda
D14 - 2x Dark Impa
E2 - 3x Dark Zant
F5 - 3x Dark Ganondorf
F9 - 2x Dark Sheik
G11 - 2x Dark Darunia

Volkameria
Nov 20, 2014

Gay and grumpy

Wildtortilla posted:

This guide business sounds like the best idea.

Actually, because they have been so very faithful to the original nes map, you can refer to that and get good results.

http://tartarus.rpgclassics.com/zelda1/1stquest/overworldhighyes.shtml

I forget if they changed anything for the master quest and twilight map, but I know the vanilla adventure map sticks to this for the vast majority of things you need to unlock. Helps save up your compasses.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The master quest map uses the Legend of Zelda Second Quest map, so you can use that for most of the locations.

The Twilight map is easy because aside from the bombable rocks (sometimes there are two on a square and you need to use a compass to tell which to blow up), every obstacle is very obvious.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

MustelaFuro posted:

Concerning the new DLC pack, I was really hoping for Stalfos Link as a playable character. That would be awesome and probably relatively easy to put in.

They never officially confirmed that the Ancient Hero was Link, did they? They sorta left it ambiguous, even in the Historia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

They never officially confirmed that the Ancient Hero was Link, did they? They sorta left it ambiguous, even in the Historia.

That's sort of like saying "They never officially confirmed that Shadow is Relm's father in Final Fantasy VI." There's not a lot that's ambiguous about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So now that I've finally had time to delve further into the TP map I have to agree that my feelings are a bit mixed on it. The new level scenarios and gameplay elements are all a lot of fun. But the bizarre decision to make so many of the levels involve enemies doing ludicrous amounts of damage is really awful. It's not really fun to try to A-rank that kind of thing, and there's nothing you can do to make it any easier no matter how high level or well decked out your characters might be.

On the bright side however, I haven't actually run into any walls yet in terms of making progress or unlocking things. Maybe if I do I'll start getting frustrated, but there usually seems to be a path around the more annoying stages that require A-ranks to unlock new ones.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Regy Rusty posted:

The new level scenarios and gameplay elements are all a lot of fun. But the bizarre decision to make so many of the levels involve enemies doing ludicrous amounts of damage is really awful. It's not really fun to try to A-rank that kind of thing, and there's nothing you can do to make it any easier no matter how high level or well decked out your characters might be.

I think that the general consensus is that the damage-taking requirements for A-rank are the primary thing that sucks the enjoyment out of this game.
The TP maps I've played so far have all been REALLY FUN, especially if you don't have to worry about how much damage you take, luckily none of them have required an A-rank to progress yet, so I haven't worried about it.

It would be great if they had a mechanic where the more hearts your character has, the greater the "buffer" for damage for A-rank would be. Then it would actually make the heart container collecting useful too.

Maybe also add in an expensive potion that reduces the damage you take by half

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 1, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really, anything they could use to make things just a tiny bit easier. I like a challenge now and then but the punishing difficulty is a little intense for my silly Zelda celebration game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I think that the general consensus is that the damage-taking requirements for A-rank are the primary thing that sucks the enjoyment out of this game.
The TP maps I've played so far have all been REALLY FUN, especially if you don't have to worry about how much damage you take, luckily none of them have required an A-rank to progress yet, so I haven't worried about it.

It would be great if they had a mechanic where the more hearts your character has, the greater the "buffer" for damage for A-rank would be. Then it would actually make the heart container collecting useful too.

Maybe also add in an expensive potion that reduces the damage you take by half

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Make Damage Taken a % of max HP. And give us some potions that work like the elemental defence badges, or something. It sucks when there's no recommended element.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I thought that was how it worked, that 4000 damage was half your health.
Becuse it really seems like I can take more damage the more health I get, and still get an A rank.
Atleast on the adventure and master quest maps.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not, each heart is 400 damage. 4000 damage is half your health if you have 20 hearts. Getting more than 20 doesn't make it any easier to A-Rank since damage is a constant measurement.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
4000 damage is ten hearts. Some maps have higher limits, that's all.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Maybe somoene else came to this conclusion or thought process but it just came to me and thought I would share it here. I was wondering why the Spinner would be attached to the Amiibo and not just part of the dlc pack. Sure the obvious answer is to sell the Link Amiibo but they could have put anything attached to it.

Then it hit me, the Spinner looks like an Amiibo base if it didn't have spikes on it. Maybe I'm overthinking it but it blew my mind a little bit when it clicked, and now I want an official Spinner Amiibo.

Edit: Also did they up the drop rate of gold materials I took a little break due to other games came back and started getting gold mats more regularly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Edit: Also did they up the drop rate of gold materials I took a little break due to other games came back and started getting gold mats more regularly.

It's mainly that enemies on the Twilight Map can drop two materials, or even a weapon and a material. So there are more chances for golds to show up. I've still never seen a double gold drop, I wonder if it's possible.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Regy Rusty posted:

It's mainly that enemies on the Twilight Map can drop two materials, or even a weapon and a material. So there are more chances for golds to show up. I've still never seen a double gold drop, I wonder if it's possible.

I haven't even touched the Twilight map yet because I'm an insane person that wants to complete all content I haven't cleared before moving on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I haven't even touched the Twilight map yet because I'm an insane person that wants to complete all content I haven't cleared before moving on.

Oh well in that case no I don't think the drop rate has changed. You're not insane though considering how much more difficult the new DLC is. Definitely do the others first.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I just kinda accepted that I'm not gonna get a lot of gold medals on the Twilight map any time soon. It's a bit liberating not to care when a common grunt slightly nicks you, removing your entire health and to just keep on trucking.

Also I can confirm that the old stuff doesn't have an increased drop-rate, but I'm having poo poo luck getting high-rank weapons even with quality potions in TP so I just did some endgame Master Quest missions to get rank 3 Variant Rods and Mirrors.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Regy Rusty posted:

I believe I've seen it happen but I might be mistaken.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just took 46,000 damage on a level with Cia. :shepface:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Regy Rusty posted:

I just took 46,000 damage on a level with Cia. :shepface:

Pretty sure I've taken 59,000 on a map before. Some of the maps don't mess around.

Speaking of maps that don't mess around, I finally succeeded at Zant's 8-bit weapon map just now after several attempts. It is a ridiculously busy map filled with things Zant doesn't do a particularly great job of hurting, with an ally that puts himself into incredible danger and an allied base that is basically defenseless. I succeeded just now mere seconds before both of those things would have died because I had no choice but it go for it. It was pretty exhilarating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I believe I've seen it happen but I might be mistaken.

I've had it happen to me a while ago so it's definitely possible. The worst damage I've taken so far has been from the Imprisoned sniping me from a distance while I wasn't paying attention. The fucker left me from full health to a quarter of a heart in one hit.

• Locked thread