Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why do you want to switch? Verizon service is decidedly superior in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Space Racist posted:

I'm considering switching from Verizon to Sprint, but a couple questions came up after looking at the website.

I'm on contract until February, so it sounds like for the ETF payment they give you a prepaid card to put toward your ETF. is the turnaround time relatively quick? I guess I'm curious if I would have to foot the bill and then get reimbursed later.

My current job offers a discount for Sprint, but does it apply toward the whole bill or just a portion? E.g., I have an active discount on Verizon from my previous job, but it only counts toward the data plan, not the phone connection fee.

Finally, is mobile hotspot functionality included for free? I don't use it that often but I like having it available.

The ETF card takes like 4-6 weeks so you're probably going to have foot the bill first unless you time your last bill cycle perfectly.

The discount only applies to the data portion with sprint, too.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Yeah, sorry to say it, but everyone on SERO needs to call the SERO sales number to buy new phones. FWIW I ordered the iPhone 6 on Wednesday, had it in my hands on Friday, and they waived the activation fee (still paid $13.XX for shipping).

EDIT: It's happening: http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/03/technology/mobile/sprint-layoffs/index.html?iid=Lead

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 3, 2014

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

I said come in! posted:

Why do you want to switch? Verizon service is decidedly superior in every way.

Basically just seeing if I can get a better deal elsewhere, particularly once my employee discount for my old job expires with Verizon. I'd much prefer T-Mobile but their coverage is hit or miss where I live.

Sprint isn't looking particularly attractive though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If you switch to Sprint I guess you'll pay less. That's about it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Space Racist posted:

Basically just seeing if I can get a better deal elsewhere, particularly once my employee discount for my old job expires with Verizon. I'd much prefer T-Mobile but their coverage is hit or miss where I live.

Goons seem to love Cricket Wireless which uses AT&T towers. I intend to ditch Sprint for Cricket soon.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Goons seem to love Cricket Wireless which uses AT&T towers. I intend to ditch Sprint for Cricket soon.

Interesting, I always thought cricket was cdma.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Space Racist posted:

Your profile says you live in Knoxville, and Sprint has great coverage there. The network is, like, pretty much fully upgraded there with new equipment and fiber and LTE all over.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Chiming in from Knoxville to say that I just switched from vzw and am happy with sprint. I've actually had good service through the Carolinas and Virginia as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

If you switch to Sprint I guess you'll pay less. That's about it.

Even when you pay less you're still not getting what you pay for.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I said come in! posted:

Even when you pay less you're still not getting what you pay for.

Oh you get what you pay for - unlimited (dialup speed) data.

But seriously, Sprint is decent in a lot of areas just because they have a roaming agreement with Verizon. You may not get 4G data everywhere like Verizon or AT&T, but unlike T-Mobile you can make calls when you're more than 5 miles from an interstate.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Dead Pressed posted:

Chiming in from Knoxville to say that I just switched from vzw and am happy with sprint. I've actually had good service through the Carolinas and Virginia as well.

Sprint's network in Knoxville is Excellent and will keep improving month after month with all the Band 41 deployments going on.
http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/knoxville-tn/2014/2H
They loving beat Verizon in real world reliability. Cell service is based on Location, Location and Location. In San Fransisco? Run away from Sprint. In Knoxville? Run towards them.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
In some rare twist of fate I have better Sprint service than my wife (on ATT) after we moved to our new house.

It's a strange feeling.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I was in here earlier and having an issue with the plan I was put on. Long story short, associate that switched my plan did not tell me that I would be being charged an extra $30 a month service charge for being on this plan with a discounted phone and I wouldn't have re-signed since my contract was up if I had known that was the case. Someone suggested rooting and flashing a Verizon PRL which is what I'll be doing, but I don't want to pay this extra charge for the next few months while I wait to get kicked off the network and I'd also like to actually use my phone for phone things and not constantly data roam to get kicked off.

Is there a contact avenue that isn't just customer service that could possibly get this resolved? Is dan@sprint.com still a thing?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a contact avenue that isn't just customer service that could possibly get this resolved? Is dan@sprint.com still a thing?
I don't think so, since Dan is gone. I think executive.offices@sprint.com should still work though.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hey Sprint employees, is there any credence to the rumors that sprint wont carry the 64GB Nexus 6 models? It may be a bit naive to ask, but what is the discount to continuing a contract without "upgrading" the phone through subsidy? I guess I am just worried that if I get the phone myself and bring it in to be activated on my plan, I will be paying full price for the phone out of pocket, plus an increased cost for my monthly bill, even though I am not buying a phone from sprint directly.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I just got a Note 2 that I bought NEW, after activating it on the network, it took a poo poo while updating to 4.3. I can boot into download mode, is there any problem with just grabbing the 4.4.2 build from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/30840/L900VPUCNE2_L900SPTCNE2_SPR.zip/ and flashing it with ODIN or is it bad to do that?

/edit so I went and ODIN flashed to 4.4.2 and I found some troubling things:

WTF does this poo poo mean? Knox is triggered and I know what that is so I guess this phone wasn't new after all?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 11, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Hey Sprint employees, is there any credence to the rumors that sprint wont carry the 64GB Nexus 6 models? It may be a bit naive to ask, but what is the discount to continuing a contract without "upgrading" the phone through subsidy? I guess I am just worried that if I get the phone myself and bring it in to be activated on my plan, I will be paying full price for the phone out of pocket, plus an increased cost for my monthly bill, even though I am not buying a phone from sprint directly.
Sprint's One Up plans were killed back in January after only being available for 4 months. Their FAQ says "Service discount will suspend after your next upgrade or if you migrate plans."

http://recode.net/2014/01/13/sprint-quietly-kills-oneup-early-upgrade-program/
"Of note, Sprint’s One Up never let customers keep the discount in perpetuity, offering it only during the two years they were financing the cost of a phone."

My advice is to use your upgrade on something like an SGS5 and flip it on Swappa/eBay/Craigslist. Then put that money towards your Nexus 6 if Sprint isn't going to be selling the capacity you want.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

maniacripper posted:

WTF does this poo poo mean? Knox is triggered and I know what that is so I guess this phone wasn't new after all?
That's more of a rooted thread or XDA question but the Note 2 didn't ship with KNOX, I'm pretty sure it was added in the 4.3 update. I have no idea why it's showing triggered if you didn't receive the phone with 4.3 or higher and only flashed official firmware.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

td4guy posted:

My advice is to use your upgrade on something like an SGS5 and flip it on Swappa/eBay/Craigslist. Then put that money towards your Nexus 6 if Sprint isn't going to be selling the capacity you want.

I might end up having to do this too, so I'm wondering, is there a good way to get a phone from Sprint that's not activated so you can just sell it new-in-box or whatever, like say if you got the upgrade online and had it shipped to you or would it have your number/whatever on it just waiting for you to call them to activate? Also wouldn't it be a better idea to do it with an iPhone? I seem to recall a coworker just always doing that on Verizon, getting iPhones and flipping them to get whatever he actually wanted, often at a profit.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

td4guy posted:

Sprint's One Up plans were killed back in January after only being available for 4 months. Their FAQ says "Service discount will suspend after your next upgrade or if you migrate plans."

http://recode.net/2014/01/13/sprint-quietly-kills-oneup-early-upgrade-program/
"Of note, Sprint’s One Up never let customers keep the discount in perpetuity, offering it only during the two years they were financing the cost of a phone."

Thanks for the info and the advice, much appreciated... Looks like this may be what I need to do, I've never flipped a phone before, but I guess its time to do some background research.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

td4guy posted:

Your profile says you live in Knoxville, and Sprint has great coverage there. The network is, like, pretty much fully upgraded there with new equipment and fiber and LTE all over.

I'm another Knoxville Goon, and Sprint is pretty good here. It was pure awful around the time the iPhone 4s came to Sprint. Pretty much worthless in most areas in Knox County. Now with LTE it has improved greatly. Plus I get LTE coverage pretty much everywhere (even at my house in the Powell area, and at my work at ORNL). The speeds are not as fast as Verizon in most areas, and I have problems sometimes with building penetration (why does this happen while others on other services are fine?), but it is still pretty much usable.

Edit: Well of course I get a network timed out error when I tried to post this at first from my iPhone. Sprint doesn't allow you to say nice things.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 12, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sprint's still in the process of rolling out LTE on Band 26 (800MHz). So it's not everywhere yet, and your LTE data coverage can still be a bit iffy indoors. Also the process of how your phone chooses between 1900 and 800MHz is pretty much out of your control and your phone probably defaults to 1900 until your data connection completely dies. It's designed that way because the alternative is...everyone's phone would automatically jump on 800MHz and then you'd see serious congestion issues.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone heard if there are any major sales going on Sprint.com for Black Friday yet? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Note 4, but have to go through telesales due to being on Sero.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I picked up an LG G2 for a decent deal last Black Friday. A lot of people advised against it, but it ended up being a nice device.

Black Friday is probably the only time you might get a discount sale through Sprint Corporate. At the same time, I doubt you'll find a discount on the Note through anyone. It's Samsung's higher tier device.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

datajosh posted:

I don't think so, since Dan is gone. I think executive.offices@sprint.com should still work though.

Thanks for this. Just had it handled over the phone in a satisfactory manner and got a free airrave to boot after the call dropped in my apartment.

effpee
Nov 19, 2004
I have a weird problem that I don't know if it's carrier related or not, but I thought I would try asking here.

Starting today, my wife and I can't call each other. We used to be able to, but now, whenever we try, the caller gets the old "your phone is off the hook" signal (not the busy signal, if that makes a difference). The call never registers on the receiving phone. Both of us can call anyone else, and can receive calls. Just not from each other.

What is really confusing to me is that we are not on the same plan. She is on Verizon, I'm on Sprint. There is no connection between our numbers and no reason I can see that anything should ever effect just our two phones.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

effpee posted:

I have a weird problem that I don't know if it's carrier related or not, but I thought I would try asking here.

Starting today, my wife and I can't call each other. We used to be able to, but now, whenever we try, the caller gets the old "your phone is off the hook" signal (not the busy signal, if that makes a difference). The call never registers on the receiving phone. Both of us can call anyone else, and can receive calls. Just not from each other.

What is really confusing to me is that we are not on the same plan. She is on Verizon, I'm on Sprint. There is no connection between our numbers and no reason I can see that anything should ever effect just our two phones.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Possibly a local switch issue or local trunk issue between the carriers. Are you sure you can call other local Verizon numbers/her call local Sprint numbers? This is basically a situation where you both call your respective carriers and report you can't call the others' number. One or both of them will figure it out. You may need to make test calls, but with a 100% fail rate, it'll be a lot easier for them to locate.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What is the 'your phone is off the hook' sound? The howler? Fast busy usually comes up on a case where you didn't pay your bill, didn't dial right, or there is an internal problem - where the answer is call both carriers and bitch, unfortunately. Make sure you both can be called from elsewhere.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I have an oldish unlimited everything 450 plan that I signed up for under the jose guy who was doing corporate discounts for us some years ago.

I was going to get the htc one m8 on amazon for a penny, but it wants me to pick a new plan (I'm not under contract atm). Is there a way I can get this through amazon or upgrade at all without changing my plan or paying more if I do?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stoic Commie posted:

I have an oldish unlimited everything 450 plan that I signed up for under the jose guy who was doing corporate discounts for us some years ago.

I was going to get the htc one m8 on amazon for a penny, but it wants me to pick a new plan (I'm not under contract atm). Is there a way I can get this through amazon or upgrade at all without changing my plan or paying more if I do?

You can probably upgrade through the Sprint website or telesales, but probably not anywhere else. That's the downside to being on an old, cheap plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stoic Commie posted:

FYI if I know sprint doing an upgrade may cause them to audit your plan, so if you have a fake discount it might disappear.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I do, I do have a fake employee discount for some reason, that's terrible.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'll probably be buying phones outright for the foreseeable future to keep the employee plan going. It still ends up cheaper in the long run. :unsmith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stoic Commie posted:

To be honest, the fake discount is one thing I don't blame carriers for auditing. It's a promo you don't qualify for and never should have. And they don't charge back on it for the months you had it.

Some of it is also their fault for pressuring employees to make sales at all costs, but that's a separate debate.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Duckman2008 posted:

To be honest, the fake discount is one thing I don't blame carriers for auditing. It's a promo you don't qualify for and never should have. And they don't charge back on it for the months you had it.

Some of it is also their fault for pressuring employees to make sales at all costs, but that's a separate debate.

Are you sure he's not just on a SERO plan? When your corporate discount is audited it occurs AFTER you renew your contract like mine was. SERO customers can only upgrade at sprint.com, SERO telesales and corporate sprint stores.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
What is likelihood of sprint carrying the 64GB version of the Nexus 6 in the near future? I'm due for an upgrade but could stand to wait if they are eventually going to offer it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

biggfoo posted:

What is likelihood of sprint carrying the 64GB version of the Nexus 6 in the near future? I'm due for an upgrade but could stand to wait if they are eventually going to offer it.
I'd put it pretty close to zero. I can't think of any provider adding another option for a phone after launch besides a new color variation.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

biggfoo posted:

Flip an iPhone and put the cash towards the Nexus 6 off of the Play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Stoic Commie posted:

Maybe I'm lost here but how does one go about getting a "fake" discount? Did you just randomly make up an employee name and ID number that sprint accepted without any type of verification?