Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just watched this again two days ago. Imagine that this came out in 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

That whole movie is like a commentary on the war in Iraq. Only it was made years before. :tinfoil:

Granted the book was very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
My facebook feed is full of christmas lights and pictures of expensive food.

Must be an enlisted thing :wotwot:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zombie303 posted:

That whole movie is like a commentary on the war in Iraq. Only it was made years before. :tinfoil:

The book plays the whole thing straight. A way to balance that is to subsequently read Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War".

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The book plays the whole thing straight. A way to balance that is to subsequently read Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War".

i like the part in forever war where everyone is gay when he comes back from space-nam

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i like the part in forever war where everyone is gay when he comes back from space-nam

And if you want they can turn you :gay:!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

And Mandela gets called "that old queer" for being straight. :laugh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

And Mandela gets called "that old queer" for being straight. :laugh:

They end up sending him to some planet for weird straight people to live out the rest of his days, don't they?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They end up sending him to some planet for weird straight people to live out the rest of his days, don't they?

Ultimately the idea of sexuality gets phased out by how humanity changed into Man, and this is long after sex stopped being used for procreation. Everybody is offered a sexuality change (not gender change) if they want it, and I think one of the gay guys takes it to try out ladies.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The protagonist gets a chance to live out every COs dream and straight up murder an enlisted man at a court martial and he pussies out at the last second, then later in the book his support staff have to clue him into the fact that pretty much his entire command has been discussing fragging him first chance they get.

Edit: as opposed to murdering enlisted men through indifference and poor map reading skills

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

The part where he considers how his troops had to learn an archaic dialect to talk with their weirdly not multiracial commanding officer (who is also a sexual deviant) was a great moment.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I liked that fishing expedition they went on when he was on the hospital planet. Him and a bunch of other people all wade out into the water to gently caress with some massive prehistoric fish monster thing and like 4 people lose limbs during it and they're like "eh we can grow new ones".

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is all one book?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

This is all one book?

Yeah. Covers thousands of years through time dilation due to travel at relativistic speeds.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Yeah. Covers thousands of years through time dilation due to travel at relativistic speeds.

I'm a shithead for having not read it yet then.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is this the book where the sergeant injects an IV into his arm of pure grain alcohol then proceeds to spend the next 100 years in space shitfaced

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm a shithead for having not read it yet then.

It's a great read. Not the most firm science, but Haldeman takes a shot at it. He covers ship-to-ship battles at relativistic speeds and what happens when a small fighter going a decent percentage of the speed of light hits a planet. Also gets into acceleration/deceleration and how they handle that without turning people into a fine paste.

Reverand maynard posted:

is this the book where the sergeant injects an IV into his arm of pure grain alcohol then proceeds to spend the next 100 years in space shitfaced

I think that's Armor.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

...Directed by Christopher Nolan?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

...Directed by Christopher Nolan?

Starring Benjamin Button.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

The book was really good until I got to the part where Space-DFAS gets his pay right and then I couldn't really suspend disbelief anymore.

No but really it's the best military sci-fi book ever.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

The book was really good until I got to the part where Space-DFAS gets his pay right and then I couldn't really suspend disbelief anymore.

No but really it's the best military sci-fi book ever.

Yeah they get it right and it is a hefty amount of backpay, but he's still semi-poor due to inflation and practically unemployable.

E: You know what I'm saying too much just go read the drat book

EBB fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 1, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Cojawfee posted:

What's with the explosion of supplement pyramid schemes on Facebook? The guy I was talking about also sells products from some pyramid scheme. Then someone else I know that's not in the military sells some energy patch pyramid scheme.

Non-sales people are getting sold into the idea they can easily make extra cash for the holidays? Back in my day, everyone in Okinawa was selling Herbalife until they figured out the only way they could break even was to try and get someone else to start selling it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

zombie303 posted:

Starship Troopers the movie and book are two completely different things. They both own in their own unique ways.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 31, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades are both loving awesome books as well if you like the whole space marines wrecking poo poo thing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

50 Foot Ant posted:

Armor is a good book too.

I liked "Forever War", it's a really good book.

If a drunken backwoods hillbilly like me can enjoy it, I'm sure all you high speed edumacated motherfuckers will too.

I was going to drop that one in here. Everyone should read Starship Troopers--> Armor by John Steakly--> Forever War by Joe Haldeman in that order. It has a much greater impact if you read them in that order.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Also "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" is pretty loving cool as well. Has pretty much the coolest AI, who literally has an orgasm from shelling the earth with a railgun

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was pretty cool aside from the annoying libertarian schlock.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was pretty cool aside from the annoying libertarian schlock.

Calling it now, next Bioshock game will be on the moon.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
it loving better be.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
No loving way that's real.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Unzip and Attack posted:

No loving way that's real.
if its not I have a new tattoo to get

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

if its not I have a new tattoo to get

do it anyway

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cojawfee posted:

My favorite thing about Heinlein is the way the protagonists in his books always have some kooky ideology, and it's usually mutually incompatible with ones in most of his other books. When I first read Troopers I thought he might actually have fascist leanings. Then I read Red Planet and wasn't so sure. Then I read Time Enough For Love and realized he was loving with me.

Edit: lol forgot I was in GiP

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

you really hosed up now son, enjoy your upcoming enlistment and deployment to iraq war 3: with a vengence

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you really hosed up now son, enjoy your upcoming enlistment and deployment to iraq war 3: with a vengence

Another one fell for the recruitment honeypot. :clint:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey son, do you like science fiction books? Come on in here and sign a few forms.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'd reenlist to die horribly in an interstellar war tbh

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Dude once told me he mowed down like 30 insurgents in Iraq with an M2, and he was so amped up he immediately reenlisted for another 5 years. The next day, he was just like "FUUUUUUUUUUCK"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My favorite thing about Heinlein is the way the protagonists in his books always have some kooky ideology, and it's usually mutually incompatible with ones in most of his other books. When I first read Troopers I thought he might actually have fascist leanings. Then I read Red Planet and wasn't so sure. Then I read Time Enough For Love and realized he was loving with me.

Read Double Star (one of his Hugo winners) and have your mind blown.