Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here's mine:

Been dailying it for way too long; just got some new (OEM) wheels for it, but it really deserves a rest from what I've been putting it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
never not drive your bmws you morons

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If it didn't want to be driven then it shouldn't have been born a car.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Awesome! Make sure to post some pictures!

Will do, I pick it up this Saturday.

Might have to retrofit an Aux in as although it's an 07 it might not have it as it may have been produced in 06 tailend.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

never not drive your bmws you morons

I can't drive my E39 right now because the ABS module is several states away getting repaired.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

CornHolio posted:

I can't drive my E39 right now because the ABS module is several states away getting repaired.

What did that run you, out of curiosity?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PaintVagrant posted:

What did that run you, out of curiosity?

I sent it to these people. $80, I'll let you guys know how they are. Can't beat that price.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Wow thats a pretty good deal. Good to know, its on my list for next spring.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow thats a pretty good deal. Good to know, its on my list for next spring.

Considering the shop I took it to offered to put a brand-new one in for $1500 or a rebuilt one for $800, and Module Masters wanted $300 to repair it, yeah I think $80 is a pretty good deal.

It's really easy to get out too. Remove the airbox, undo the BMW connector (it has a pull-out thing like most BMW connectors do) and six torx screws later, you're done.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
That's awesome!
ABS and ASC lights are the last ones I have to take care of.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

CornHolio posted:

I sent it to these people. $80, I'll let you guys know how they are. Can't beat that price.

I've used them for my ABS needs. They're fast, but they're not the 'hand hold me to get it out of the car' sort of folks (meaning they're basically perfect). Running one of their repairs now in the daily.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

CornHolio posted:

It won't run without that module being present?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mechaet posted:

It should run and drive fine, just with no ABS/Traction Control or Speedometer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

It should run and drive fine, just with no ABS/Traction Control or Speedometer.

who needs that poo poo?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

who needs that poo poo?

Exactly, it's winter. Go have fun, these cars are fine with it (some driver required).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So basically it's like all of us that drive E30s.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mechaet posted:

Well, I could drive it, but I have two other vehicles that I can drive instead. For what it's worth, it appears as though I fixed the Volvo's ABS with a hammer (rear wheel speed sensor apparently needed a few good whacks, it's functioning OK now...)

It's my understanding that the odometer won't work with the module missing anyway.

I usually disable the traction control in heavy snow anyway, but on those days where the roads are just ice, or patches of ice, traction control and ABS are worth their weight in gold. Last year I was driving on the interstate, doing a blistering 20 under, roads were mostly clear, and I went over a bridge that had completely iced over. Traction control went nuts, I crossed the bridge fine, the truck (way) behind me hit it and jackknifed, closing the highway for hours. It's a thing that I'd like to not have broken.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
What makes the S38 such a wallet buster? I'm seeing E34 M5s starting to go up in price pretty heavily here and if I ever want to try owning one I think I'll have to hop on the train soon.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was the E90 335d automatic only?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What makes the S38 such a wallet buster? I'm seeing E34 M5s starting to go up in price pretty heavily here and if I ever want to try owning one I think I'll have to hop on the train soon.

Nothing really? Besides spares getting slightly harder to find, but they are solid cars.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Um, have you ever seen an e34 M5 (especially touring) in person?

That's all the answer you need.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 1, 2014

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

blk posted:

Was the E90 335d automatic only?

Yes, pretty sure that's one of the major things that kept me from pursuing it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Why does my e39 540i non vanos feel like it has VTEC?

Runs amazing after the VC gaskets, new plugs, and a new coil. Seems like the timing/torque is getting pulled around 4-5k RPM. It's most noticeable in first gear. 5k to redline brings all the power back.

Googling has a crapload of hits describing similar things, but no one says what fixed it (except some guy claims clogged cats, another bad MAF). I cleaned the MAF and it didn't make any difference.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mafoose posted:

Runs amazing after the VC gaskets, new plugs, and a new coil. Seems like the timing/torque is getting pulled around 4-5k RPM. It's most noticeable in first gear. 5k to redline brings all the power back.

Googling has a crapload of hits describing similar things, but no one says what fixed it (except some guy claims clogged cats, another bad MAF). I cleaned the MAF and it didn't make any difference.

Well it does have VANOS, which is kind of like VTEC. Sure that's not your VANOS just kicking in, yo?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Alarbus posted:

Yes, pretty sure that's one of the major things that kept me from pursuing it.

It's not that bad. Treat it as a DD and long-distance cruiser and it's more than fine. I almost made it from Phoenix to LAX and back on a single tank. 600mi+. Cruising at 75. One tank.

Also, my bitch clip went missing a few days ago leaving me stuck in third. This is my replacement for that piece of poo poo. Functionally better in every goddamn way.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 1, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mafoose posted:

No codes?

with ~120,000 miles, my 540 couldn't keep itself running at idle, and it ended up being the MAF. They are basically a wear item. If you have a september 98+ build date, you can replace it with a VW part that you can get off rockauto for like 70 bucks. You just need a 5 point security torx bit to swap the sensor out of the housing. Unplug the cat, if the car doesn't run any differently with it unplugged, it's bad.

If the cats are plugged, they could literally be glowing red hot after driving it hard, but you would probably get codes either too rich from the pre-cat sensors, or out of range from the post-cat sensors. Any code it throws should give you freeze frame data with the cat temps.

You could also check the gasket around the inlet side of the throttle body. Mine was hardened to poo poo and letting all kinds of air in behind the MAF making the car run lean and pull timing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

IIRC you need to do the valve adjustment every 10 or 15k miles and it's 24v, plus the M tax on parts/unicorn blood oil

As much as a big straight 6 with ITBs and a screaming red line appeal to me, I think I'd go with a M62 swap in my dream E34, parts are so much cheaper, especially if you are going to DD it

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

SuperDucky posted:

Um, have you ever seen an e34 M5 (especially touring) in person?

That's all the answer you need.

No, but I just watched Ronin again, I feel that's all the justification a car buyer needs. :colbert:

rscott posted:

big straight 6 with ITBs and a screaming red line

Not helping. :fap:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

IIRC you need to do the valve adjustment every 10 or 15k miles and it's 24v
This is SOP in the motorcycle world, I don't know why it's that big of an issue for cars.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Well if it's anything like my experience with our Mazdaspeed Miata it's down to the fact that the only dealer in town doesn't carry valve shims, they can't be ordered without pulling the cover and measuring first, and the best-rated indie shop in town (they have 'zoom' in their name and work only on Mazdas) argued vehemently that my car had vvt to the point that I didn't trust them to do the work. Ended up just selling the car.

I still prefer solid lifters, but it seems like anything DOHC is a nightmare to do adjustments on.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Oooh, is it post your Z4 time?

Awww :eng99:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Hahahahahaha.

Alright, I'll post my e39:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Attention goons with BMWs from the turn of the century (E46, E39, E53, etc):

Buy the GROM Audio SB1 Bluetooth kit. It works perfectly, sounds great, and allows you to:

-Stream audio from anything your phone can play
-Displays song title text on your radio
-Make and answer calls
-Activate Siri using the "speak" button on your steering wheel! I'm not super familiar with Android but I'd bet OK Google would work too.

It comes with a mic, USB charging port and you can choose trunk mount or behind the dash mount. Trunk mount is easiest as it just plugs right into the changer wiring most cars have. It also is the only one that works with cars that have Nav. The SB1 model only does Bluetooth and costs $100. They have a $150 model that does Bluetooth, has a 3.5mm jack, iPod plug, and will read USB sticks. Bluetooth is all I ever would use so I saved $50. The PO had put in some crappy Dice 3.5mm jack that sounded distorted and picked up all kinds of interference. The GROM has none of those problems. Calls and music are clear and Siri can understand my requests. Buy this thing. It will make your old stock radio behave like the ones in new cars.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Might be a little late, but grom is having a cyber Monday 20% off sale.

Picked up the trunk install BT setup!
Thanks for reminding me!

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Brock Landers posted:

Attention goons with BMWs from the turn of the century (E46, E39, E53, etc):

Buy the GROM Audio SB1 Bluetooth kit. It works perfectly, sounds great, and allows you to:

-Stream audio from anything your phone can play
-Displays song title text on your radio
-Make and answer calls
-Activate Siri using the "speak" button on your steering wheel! I'm not super familiar with Android but I'd bet OK Google would work too.

It comes with a mic, USB charging port and you can choose trunk mount or behind the dash mount. Trunk mount is easiest as it just plugs right into the changer wiring most cars have. It also is the only one that works with cars that have Nav. The SB1 model only does Bluetooth and costs $100. They have a $150 model that does Bluetooth, has a 3.5mm jack, iPod plug, and will read USB sticks. Bluetooth is all I ever would use so I saved $50. The PO had put in some crappy Dice 3.5mm jack that sounded distorted and picked up all kinds of interference. The GROM has none of those problems. Calls and music are clear and Siri can understand my requests. Buy this thing. It will make your old stock radio behave like the ones in new cars.

God drat it, 2 hours too late. I've been going back and forth for weeks over whether to jury-rig a DIY aux port to a bluetooth receiver or just go with an aftermarket head unit. This is a perfect solution!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Are there any limitations on which stereo you need? I have an 01 which has the pre-aux stuff. I actually have an aux/mp3 radio from a 2004 that I bought for my last 330 but never got the antenna Modula and adapters for. But if I could get BT...

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Crustashio posted:

Are there any limitations on which stereo you need? I have an 01 which has the pre-aux stuff. I actually have an aux/mp3 radio from a 2004 that I bought for my last 330 but never got the antenna Modula and adapters for. But if I could get BT...

The docs I got with the unit say 1997+ but GROMs website had all the years/models listed out so I would double check that. FWIW my car is a 2001 E46 with Nav (pre BMW aux) and it works great. It piggy backs on the changer wiring so that's the only requirement. I *think* song title display may be radio model dependent.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The metadata on the changer mounted dice units was always radio-year dependent, all the other features were supported by canbus.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Can anyone ID this thing and give me some idea of why it's tapping/clicking steadily w/ my ignition turned to the 2nd stop?

It's been happening for quite some time now. Smog/air pump is also on at this point...

2000 M Roadster, ASC deleted + resistor mod installed, I did solid AL throttle cable bushings, cleaned TB plate and MAF a few months ago... Aside from that I haven't done any futzing around up there.

<edit> got my answer, all is well apparently :downs:

quote:

guy on bimmerforums
It's the evap system purge valve and it's supposed to.

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ColdPie posted:

I always feel sad for the northerners who have to put their fun cars away in the winter :(

Friend took some HARD PARKIN pics (w/ a potato) of my car when it still had paper tags...