Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

It probably didn't matter in this case because the physical evidence didn't suggest he was shot while fleeing. HOWEVER...a. why the hell hasn't Missouri updated it's criminal code since...you know...1985. b. Every borderline competent first year law student knows about Tennessee v. Garner...why did she not know the statute was unconstitutional AT THE TIME SHE HANDED IT OUT? c. why are they handing out statutes at all? Doesn't Missouri have stock jury instructions that (presumably) include all relevant case law developments?

All valid questions. My take on Ferguson is it was probably the right end result in this particular case, but it's revealed a lot of issues with their system that don't have me confident the right result will be reached the next time.

The whole grand jury was irregular from start to finish, it doesn't surprise me that the record contains gently caress-ups like that. I don't know what it says about Missouri's system because there's no way in hell they're ever going to do something like this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Zeroisanumber posted:

The whole grand jury was irregular from start to finish, it doesn't surprise me that the record contains gently caress-ups like that. I don't know what it says about Missouri's system because there's no way in hell they're ever going to do something like this again.

it's a pretty big fuckup though...I mean...Tennessee v. Garner is part of the multistate bar exam for gently caress's sake. How does a prosecutor not know that's the law? (oh...wait....Missouri.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
What do you get when you populate a state with a mix of lazy Southern fuckheads and killjoy Northern Lutherans?

ActusRhesus posted:

(oh...wait....Missouri.)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Missouri's been a lovely state since it was first formed. It used to be a battleground over slavery, now it's a battleground over race relations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Slim Pickens posted:

Missouri's been a lovely state since it was first formed. It used to be a battleground over slavery, now it's a battleground over race relations.

:mrwhite:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Missouri is the state that had Executive Order 44 on the books until 1976.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Internet Wizard posted:

Missouri is the state that had Executive Order 44 on the books until 1976.

Not seeing the issue here.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just pointing out Missouri's stellar track record of dealing with their undesirables.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Slim Pickens posted:

Gotta get me one of those 'John Brown was my homie' t-shirts.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Lotron posted:

A million bucks for being a stupid gently caress with a gun?
One million US dollars... For being a stupid gently caress... With a gun.
This is the worst species.

Uh I dunno dude. He's got a semi cleft pallet and Kenneth's glass jaw from 30 Rock. Taking down Marcellus Wallace fully choomed up and charging you like your are delicious Caucasian Law Enforcement prey on the Serengeti is pretty smart. He's a pretty good example of the best in our species, particularly when compared objectively to the decomposing remains of everyone's favorite cigarillo thief and corteous bodega patron, Mike Brown Junior.

Dizzle Wizzle found himself in the midst of an impromptu concrete jungle big game hunt (seriously his dad looks like Tyreese from the walking dead and I think his mom has a neck tattoo) and came out with the perfect K/D ratio, scored a quality headshot, and had the cavalry keep the darkness from fully enveloping his $1 million dollar enriched world, and instead got to watch an entire minority group set itself back internally and externally an entire generation or two.

Darren Wilson should be Time magazines man of the year, because he might have finally separated African America from Democratic American power bases by starting what only looks like a hairline fracture now with the choomer in chief still in office. But it's much more than a fracture, and black votes will require black candidates now. And guess what we won't be nominating in either party in 2016?

Those mid term results weren't anomalous, and the Michael Brown / Darren Wilson political fallout hasn't even stopped rising yet to know exactly where it's falling, but it's taking out every bridge of race relations improvements we've had since 2006 I guaran-goddamn-tee you that much boys, I tell you what.

:420: :cowboy: :420:

I hope Darren Wilson runs for congress, I'll campaign for him. I don't care under what ticket.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
P.S. gently caress all you human being pearl clutching American hating anti-Missourians. The big MO is the official state of GiP, being the only state to give us a president willing to fight with nuclear fire and local cops to take brave enough to put down choomed out young Rodney Kings before they get their CDL's and become highway patrol's problem.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Obama Africanus posted:

P.S. gently caress all you human being pearl clutching American hating anti-Missourians. The big MO is the official state of GiP, being the only state to give us a president willing to fight with nuclear fire and local cops to take brave enough to put down choomed out young Rodney Kings before they get their CDL's and become highway patrol's problem.

This.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Obama Africanus posted:

I don't know that MO is even worth hating. Is it known for anything besides racism and launching B-2s?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CNN says two men, one of whom claiming to be affiliated with the Black Panthers, were planning on killing the Ferguson prosecutor and police chief and blowing up the St. Louis Arch.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/cr...A6p0RLrCNOC6VM-

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Godholio posted:

I don't know that MO is even worth hating. Is it known for anything besides racism and launching B-2s?

Most people only hate my home state about 3/5ths of the way, they usually don't completely hate Missouri. 2/5ths of Missouri is definitely awesome. 3/5ths is much more useful for economic exploitation vice greater societal integration.

Absolutely no part of me is kidding. Sometimes King Solomon does have to chop up a baby. :dealwithit:

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

CNN says two men, one of whom claiming to be affiliated with the Black Panthers, were planning on killing the Ferguson prosecutor and police chief and blowing up the St. Louis Arch.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/cr...A6p0RLrCNOC6VM-

Seems like a false flag agent provocateur goal post moving bootstrapper government agent to me, op

But really what did the arch ever do to anyone >:[

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

justice4trayvawn posted:

Seems like a false flag agent provocateur goal post moving bootstrapper government agent to me, op

But really what did the arch ever do to anyone >:[

Architectural blasphemy. Freestanding arches are the heretical product of witchcraft and their builders must be burned.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ActusRhesus posted:

Doesn't Missouri have stock jury instructions that (presumably) include all relevant case law developments?

They do. I'm too lazy to go dig up a link to the article because I saw it months ago but the jury instructions regarding use of force by law enforcement used in MO explicitly discuss Garner as well as the fact that MO law hasn't been updated and that the portion regarding the fleeing felon rule should be disregarded.

So either the ADA in question is unfamiliar with the stock jury instructions used in every case involving use of force by law enforcement in the state in which she practices law, or she deliberately misled the grand jury. Neither option reflects highly on the St Louis County DA's office...not that anything will come of it because lol at holding anyone in the justice system accountable for gently caress-ups. As long as you aren't Nifong-levels of incompetent at your buffoonery, you're pretty safe.

As for why MO hasn't updated the actual law, :effort:. Also Missouri.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

MaxPowers posted:

I wonder, could you soak up those sweet sweet welfare dollars and do a security deployment?

Don't know much about security stuff; I was just a command and control weenie during my defense gig :smith:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iyaayas01 posted:

They do. I'm too lazy to go dig up a link to the article because I saw it months ago but the jury instructions regarding use of force by law enforcement used in MO explicitly discuss Garner as well as the fact that MO law hasn't been updated and that the portion regarding the fleeing felon rule should be disregarded.

So either the ADA in question is unfamiliar with the stock jury instructions used in every case involving use of force by law enforcement in the state in which she practices law, or she deliberately misled the grand jury. Neither option reflects highly on the St Louis County DA's office...not that anything will come of it because lol at holding anyone in the justice system accountable for gently caress-ups. As long as you aren't Nifong-levels of incompetent at your buffoonery, you're pretty safe.

As for why MO hasn't updated the actual law, :effort:. Also Missouri.

:effort: I got really high and I've been marathoning L&O so this is all a channeled Jack McCoy joke. Well not really. But if I don't put this here I'm sure some human being will get upset.

That ADA is under no legal obligation to provide an explanation of Garner to the grand Jury under MO law. MO law is pretty clear on when we think it's ok to parajudiciously employ lethal force on the Statutory Grape crowd. And at the end of the day MO laws are the only ones that matter here. And a bill of non indictment is a no-poo poo IRL get out of jail free card.

Knowing what we all now know about Mike Brown Jr. how is it not obvious that justice was served by his choomed up cop attacking felon rear end having his head perforated by the righteous and holy hands of one Officer Wilson?

I'm serious, the loving kid was a menace. We got cop problems in this country, but not in this instance. Like it or love it are your only options when it comes to the Mike Brown Jr.'s of the world missing their chance at doing federal time for the big pen in the sky when a cop legally, properly, judiciously (and if my erection is any indication, erotically) puts a bullet through their skulls.

Perhaps when they evolve more fast twitch musculature in their decision making regions of their parasympathetic nervous systems the Americanus Africannas will have better survival outcomes with cops they're attacking and provoking (not to mention disobeying) following their violent felonies committed at local markets against struggling law abiding shop keepers.

Jane Goodall has a completely different kind of jungle to brave if we want to get her anthropological slant on choomed up modern black males and oriental shop keepers in St Louis though, and it can take a long time to show these evolutions, not that we lack for observable specimens of either these unfortunately spreading populations.

Truth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddamned Walking Dead, man. JRR Martin must've ghostwritten this episode.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Did they cave in the Chinamans head with a baseball bat IN DC like in the comic books? Bc I been waiting to prove my thesis about popular cultures immune response to yellow fever when it flairs up here in America and Glenn makes for an excellent case study.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Obama Africanus posted:

Did they cave in the Chinamans head with a baseball bat IN DC like in the comic books? Bc I been waiting to prove my thesis about popular cultures immune response to yellow fever when it flairs up here in America and Glenn makes for an excellent case study.

Not yet. Negan hasn't appeared in the show yet, unfortunately. He is an awesome villain, and the only reason I kept reading for a time.
Seriously, Kirkman is the most inconsistent writer in comics today.

The loving show man... also inconsistent. I have to watch it for work (I work in a comic shop) but Jesus H Christ on a rocket powered pogo stick that show is poorly written. And Rick must have been the Barney Fife of his department, because that motherfucker can't even accomplish basic cop tasks- handling prisoners, killing unarmed children, beating minorities, just day one academy poo poo. I kid, but seriously, that dude must have been the most incompetent sheriff since that Chode in Tombstone.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not yet. Negan hasn't appeared in the show yet, unfortunately. He is an awesome villain, and the only reason I kept reading for a time.
Seriously, Kirkman is the most inconsistent writer in comics today.

The loving show man... also inconsistent. I have to watch it for work (I work in a comic shop) but Jesus H Christ on a rocket powered pogo stick that show is poorly written. And Rick must have been the Barney Fife of his department, because that motherfucker can't even accomplish basic cop tasks- handling prisoners, killing unarmed children, beating minorities, just day one academy poo poo. I kid, but seriously, that dude must have been the most incompetent sheriff since that Chode in Tombstone.

Wyatt Earp was('nt all that bad of a)a bad motherfucker and I'll slap the taste of dick out of your human being mouth if you argue to the contrary on this internet subforum.

:colbert:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Obama Africanus posted:

:effort: I got really high and I've been marathoning L&O so this is all a channeled Jack McCoy joke. Well not really. But if I don't put this here I'm sure some human being will get upset.

That ADA is under no legal obligation to provide an explanation of Garner to the grand Jury under MO law. MO law is pretty clear on when we think it's ok to parajudiciously employ lethal force on the Statutory Grape crowd. And at the end of the day MO laws are the only ones that matter here. And a bill of non indictment is a no-poo poo IRL get out of jail free card.

Hate to break it to you, but Garner was an 8th Amendment case, and SCOTUS trumps the Missouri statehouse on matters of US constitution.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

It probably didn't matter in this case because the physical evidence didn't suggest he was shot while fleeing. HOWEVER...a. why the hell hasn't Missouri updated it's criminal code since...you know...1985. b. Every borderline competent first year law student knows about Tennessee v. Garner...why did she not know the statute was unconstitutional AT THE TIME SHE HANDED IT OUT? c. why are they handing out statutes at all? Doesn't Missouri have stock jury instructions that (presumably) include all relevant case law developments?

All valid questions. My take on Ferguson is it was probably the right end result in this particular case, but it's revealed a lot of issues with their system that don't have me confident the right result will be reached the next time.

is there someplace I can view a tl;dr of what actually happened?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Reverand maynard posted:

is there someplace I can view a tl;dr of what actually happened?

if you google "ferguson evidence transcripts" NY Times, I believe, has all the evidence posted. Full transcripts, documents, etc.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Every borderline competent undergrad who's taken a 100-level CJ course knows about Tennessee v. Garner...why did she not know the statute was unconstitutional AT THE TIME SHE HANDED IT OUT? c.

Fixed that for you

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Pls put in op for every CE op ever.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Now this actually makes sense, as opposed to knocking off random storefronts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Now this actually makes sense, as opposed to knocking off random storefronts.

Except that the amount of explosives required to have any effect would be prohibitive. I mean, it is funny imagining some black guys in berets and leather jackets carting multiple wheelbarrows of fertilizer across the Arch grounds, but it probably was never going to happen.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Except that the amount of explosives required to have any effect would be prohibitive. I mean, it is funny imagining some black guys in berets and leather jackets carting multiple wheelbarrows of fertilizer across the Arch grounds, but it probably was never going to happen.

Ehh.....they probably failed out of flight school.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Obama Africanus posted:

Wyatt Earp was('nt all that bad of a)a bad motherfucker and I'll slap the taste of dick out of your human being mouth if you argue to the contrary on this internet subforum.

:colbert:

Not him, the first Mayor/Sheriff limp dick motherfucker.

Are just going to sit there and bleed words onto a keyboard ? Skin that smokewagon and go to work!

I am going to watch Tombstone tonight. Glad they finally added it to Netflix Instant.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Garner was an 8th Amendment case, and SCOTUS trumps the Missouri statehouse on matters of US constitution.

forget it, he's rolling

(though John Belushi was never not funny - what happened, Shim?)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

if you google "ferguson evidence transcripts" NY Times, I believe, has all the evidence posted. Full transcripts, documents, etc.

please google what tl;dr means

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

please google what tl;dr means

Maybe try using google yourself

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hug it out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i keep thinking i'm in d&d when i see this ferguson poo poo here please excuse me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Hug it out

Suck my dick from the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Waroduce posted:

Hug it out

What happened to you sexy Hitler av?!