Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Stupid salespeople... and customers....

Many moons ago we gained the ability to store credit cards in our EDI/POS software using tokenization with our credit card processing company. This allows a customer's credit card to be kept on file and used when needed to invoice orders, without us having to know or even be able to see the customer's CC information. Everyone was told this, and has been reminded multiple times. In our industry we have multiple frequent customers who request this.

I sent out another reminder today... Found out a salesman had 20+ customers where he was storing full credit card info in a spreadsheet sitting on his desktop. :bang: He had ignored the reminders because he claimed it was easier to just copy/paste the info. Using the stored card requires a single click, while manually inputting the information requires one to visit multiple screens and full entry of name/address/zip for every single transaction. Even after showing him this, he still believes manual entry to be faster.

Fake Edit: Before clicking submit I received a call from another salesman who had a customer protest storing his credit card as it "wasn't secure enough". I guess keeping it written on a post it note at the salesman's desk for the world to see is more secure....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hey Dick Trauma any fall out over you leaving that you've heard of yet? Wishing you the best, I hope you land on your feet soon.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, who else doesn't feel like doing any work today?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
CenturyLink :suicide:

We're trying to set up a new office and needed 3 phone lines. So I called CenturyLink last week. I can hear them but they can't hear me. Hang up and call again, same thing. Call from my cell phone. Order the lines, the features, schedule the install. They picked the phone numbers and gave them to me.

Come in this morning to a message from the answering service. Mike w/CenturyLink says a number we requested isn't available. Call back in the morning of 12/1 to discuss. So I call the number given. It rings once, goes busy then disconnects after 10-15 seconds. Google the number and it's associated with a travel scam.

Call CenturyLink at their business number. Poor call quality. Call disconnects after about 20 seconds.

Get on the website Live Chat. Rep can't find my order number in the system. Rep can't find the numbers I was given at either the new address or our billing address. Says there are no pending install orders either.

We'll see if anyone shows up for the install that was scheduled for this morning.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I took my first vacation day since the beginning of the year today.

So of course I woke up to my roommate choking in the middle of the night. :negative:

Judging from my coworker's messages the only thing I've missed today are meetings, meetings, and more meetings.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

CenturyLink :suicide:

We're trying to set up a new office and needed 3 phone lines. So I called CenturyLink last week. I can hear them but they can't hear me. Hang up and call again, same thing. Call from my cell phone. Order the lines, the features, schedule the install. They picked the phone numbers and gave them to me.

Come in this morning to a message from the answering service. Mike w/CenturyLink says a number we requested isn't available. Call back in the morning of 12/1 to discuss. So I call the number given. It rings once, goes busy then disconnects after 10-15 seconds. Google the number and it's associated with a travel scam.

Call CenturyLink at their business number. Poor call quality. Call disconnects after about 20 seconds.

Get on the website Live Chat. Rep can't find my order number in the system. Rep can't find the numbers I was given at either the new address or our billing address. Says there are no pending install orders either.

We'll see if anyone shows up for the install that was scheduled for this morning.

CenturyLink is absolute poo poo. Sprint used to be the king of this town, then they ended up selling off all their landline poo poo to some junk company that eventually became Embarq and then CenturyLink, which has been gobbling up a bunch of other landline providers like Qwest iirc. And their service is complete, utter garbage.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

psydude posted:

My favorite thing about my terminal heart condition is getting to call into work and go "Man, I've got some serious chest pain today. I'ma take some vicodin and go back to bed, mark me out as sick."

So it's me. I'm the poo poo pissing off the junior tech today.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

CenturyLink is absolute poo poo. Sprint used to be the king of this town, then they ended up selling off all their landline poo poo to some junk company that eventually became Embarq and then CenturyLink, which has been gobbling up a bunch of other landline providers like Qwest iirc. And their service is complete, utter garbage.

Yeah, after this experience I think we'll be switching over to the local not-Comcast cable provider's VOIP service.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite thing about my terminal heart condition is getting to call into work and go "Man, I've got some serious chest pain today. I'ma take some vicodin and go back to bed, mark me out as sick."

'favorite thing' - I am curous, what other benefits does a terminal condition give you so that you can have a favorite?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

'favorite thing' - I am curous, what other benefits does a terminal condition give you so that you can have a favorite?

Declining meetings three months out with the excuse "I will be dead"?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

In TYOOL 2014 explorer.exe has been crashing on me. I'm pretty sure it's InfoPath's fault.

Also, in TYOOL 2014, I am still using InfoPath. Could be worse though; I could still be on 2007 instead of 2010.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

That is an exit strategy!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Erwin posted:

That is an exit strategy!

And they have their heart in it. :haw:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Exit Strategy posted:

How "terminal" are we talking? Like you will die of it sometime? maybe in the next 20 years? Or you have 6 months to live?

If I was told I am going to die in 6 months and I was fairly certain that was true I would not be working at all.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Exit Strategy posted:

Have you considered taking part in a Tough Mudder?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh cyber monday aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

psydude posted:

gently caress yes.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

How "terminal" are we talking? Like you will die of it sometime? maybe in the next 20 years? Or you have 6 months to live?

If I was told I am going to die in 6 months and I was fairly certain that was true I would not be working at all.

My terminal illness lasts anywhere from a few hours to rarely up to 100+ years. It has a 100% mortality rate.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

stevewm posted:

Stupid salespeople... and customers....

Many moons ago we gained the ability to store credit cards in our EDI/POS software using tokenization with our credit card processing company. This allows a customer's credit card to be kept on file and used when needed to invoice orders, without us having to know or even be able to see the customer's CC information. Everyone was told this, and has been reminded multiple times. In our industry we have multiple frequent customers who request this.

I sent out another reminder today... Found out a salesman had 20+ customers where he was storing full credit card info in a spreadsheet sitting on his desktop. :bang: He had ignored the reminders because he claimed it was easier to just copy/paste the info. Using the stored card requires a single click, while manually inputting the information requires one to visit multiple screens and full entry of name/address/zip for every single transaction. Even after showing him this, he still believes manual entry to be faster.

Fake Edit: Before clicking submit I received a call from another salesman who had a customer protest storing his credit card as it "wasn't secure enough". I guess keeping it written on a post it note at the salesman's desk for the world to see is more secure....

Tie their commission to using the more secure system. Or, charge them an "insurance premium" as a deduction from their commission for using an insecure system. They will magically do the right thing overnight.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zamujasa posted:

I took my first vacation day since the beginning of the year today.

So of course I woke up to my roommate choking in the middle of the night. :negative:

I feel like I have to ask, as I'm now feeling a bit concerned about random internet person's roommate but...was he ok? :ohdear:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Tie their commission to using the more secure system. Or, charge them an "insurance premium" as a deduction from their commission for using an insecure system. They will magically do the right thing overnight.
"Your spreadsheet would get red-flagged on a PCI audit. Failing a PCI audit means we don't process credit cards anymore. Not processing credit cards anymore means you can't sell poo poo. You not selling poo poo means you're not very useful around here. See where I'm going with this?"

Yes, I know it doesn't work like that but he likely doesn't know that.

Also, pissing me off - people coming to work sick and companies with sick time policies that encourage it.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I hate when my co-worker talks about how our company is making money but we only get token raises and stuff and then also throws in that he is making 6 figures.. and I get less than half of that

:(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SlayVus posted:

My terminal illness lasts anywhere from a few hours to rarely up to 100+ years. It has a 100% mortality rate.

Like I said in IRC, technically we all have a terminal heart condition.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

vibur posted:

"Your spreadsheet would get red-flagged on a PCI audit. Failing a PCI audit means we don't process credit cards anymore. Not processing credit cards anymore means you can't sell poo poo. You not selling poo poo means you're not very useful around here. See where I'm going with this?"

Yes, I know it doesn't work like that but he likely doesn't know that.

Also, pissing me off - people coming to work sick and companies with sick time policies that encourage it.

Without an actionable reprimand the sales drone will just assume that you're blustering and keep doing what they're doing. Unless you get his boss on board, you're not going to change anything that way, whether he "knows it" or not.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Danith posted:

I hate when my co-worker talks about how our company is making money but we only get token raises and stuff and then also throws in that he is making 6 figures.. and I get less than half of that

:(
You make under 3 figures? Aww man, geez.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You make under 3 figures? Aww man, geez.

I got 99 problems and also my salary is 99 dollars, so I guess I have 100 problems

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Roargasm posted:

Doing a little but of work from home on the VPN, messing with a switch and I disabled ports 6-10, 20-24, 4[4...]-46

I am no longer working from home :eng99:

Had something similar happen to me once, except I wasn't the one who caused it.

Working in the office suddenly lose the internet connection. Users come storming to my office "Argh everything is down!" (It was only the internet that was down)
Called up our head office and talk to the main Network/Cisco person. Ask if he knows of any issues etc. He responds: "Oh yeah, I was making some changes to your router when it locked up and kicked me out. So I moved on to other issues."
Quickly power cycled the router at our end and we were back up, would have been nice if he let me know when he was going to do these things.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Without an actionable reprimand the sales drone will just assume that you're blustering and keep doing what they're doing. Unless you get his boss on board, you're not going to change anything that way, whether he "knows it" or not.

I got the sales manager involved. Needless to say, there where a few official write ups made for disregarding company policy. We also have a quarterly bonus the salespeople are eligible to receive based on a few parameters. Getting a writeup disqualifies you from it.

Why they fight against something that makes it EASIER to do their job is beyond me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

stevewm posted:

Why they fight against something that makes it EASIER to do their job is beyond me.

My workflow :qq:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skooma512 posted:

My antiquated workflow :qq:

Loose cannon sales personnel are the best. They bring their own rope to hang themselves with!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

skooma512 posted:

My workflow :qq:

This is the anti-eFaxing argument right now.

It's easier to:

1 Print the document
2 Put the document in the fax
3 Dial the wrong number (don't check it!)
4 Shred the document
5 Whoops I dialed the wrong number!
6 GOTO 1

Than it is to:

1 E-mail the document to {phonenumber}@faxdomain
2 Have a coffee
3 Receive receipt that the document sent/failed.

Because "well that's just the way we're used to".

Cannot wait for the fallout when everyone realizes the fax machines are gone.

:edit: poo poo, I even have it formatted to auto-correct if you neglect to add the "1" before the 10 digits.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Varkk posted:

He responds: "Oh yeah, I was making some changes to your router when it locked up and kicked me out. So I moved on to other issues."

Tell me he is no longer working there. Or at least can no longer make changes to infrastructure systems. When that happens where I work, and at times it does, you get put on make-work projects going forward until you quit or (if you're very lucky) forgiven for your sins. And by make-work, I mean the most menial, boring, poo poo tasks you can think of that impact nothing. With metrics, so no loving off on the Internet like you normally can as long as your work and projects are completed on deadline.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Ataraxia posted:

I can understand wanting systems locked down, but this is a new one

We can call it Closed VPN if that helps?

This sort of thing seems to be getting more and more common :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our helpdesk closed 8 tier-1 level tickets yesterday, their queue is 75 tickets long, half of them haven't been assigned to people yet.

I think I'm pissed off more at the management methods that let it happen than I am at the support guys for not giving two shits. Issues get ignored for long enough despite several warnings and then suddenly it blows up into a huge deal that needs 5 people around a table to piss a 2 hour meeting away on. At which point all the good work that one side of the business manages to do doesn't count for poo poo.

Pretty sure next year will be new job time.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

Our helpdesk closed 8 tier-1 level tickets yesterday, their queue is 75 tickets long, half of them haven't been assigned to people yet.

I think I'm pissed off more at the management methods that let it happen than I am at the support guys for not giving two shits. Issues get ignored for long enough despite several warnings and then suddenly it blows up into a huge deal that needs 5 people around a table to piss a 2 hour meeting away on. At which point all the good work that one side of the business manages to do doesn't count for poo poo.

Pretty sure next year will be new job time.

We had this until basically every single engineer in the office went to war against the helpdesk. Our m.o. for months was to just document every single bullshit occurrence of anything shittily filled out, bad troubleshooting, tickets that got sat on for weeks and then escalated at 4:52 on a Friday... and sent it to management, citing of course the concern for efficiency and team work. They fought back a little but it's very easy to call someone out when you have everything documented thoroughly, so gradually their credibility went out the window.

It all worked out, management is all over them now. Some of them still suck because they are dumb, but at least now they can't be dumb and lazy.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Trastion posted:

I'm in what my cardiologist calls "free time". I was supposed to have died last year two days from now. Careful diet management, exercise, and some pretty heavy upgrade surgery later and I'm not dead. I'll eventually need a new core resource distribution pump, but that will be arranged on the day I need it.

spog posted:

I get a handicapped parking placard. Also, I get the ability to blame being grumpy on chest pain or lack of energy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

stevewm posted:

I got the sales manager involved. Needless to say, there where a few official write ups made for disregarding company policy. We also have a quarterly bonus the salespeople are eligible to receive based on a few parameters. Getting a writeup disqualifies you from it.

I hope you bought a lotto ticket or fifty after that happened.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm in what my cardiologist calls "free time". I was supposed to have died last year two days from now. Careful diet management, exercise, and some pretty heavy upgrade surgery later and I'm not dead. I'll eventually need a new core resource distribution pump, but that will be arranged on the day I need it.

I get a handicapped parking placard. Also, I get the ability to blame being grumpy on chest pain or lack of energy.

drat.

and you do IT willingly?

like a loved one isnt held hostage and you have a very specific set of skills?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Probably beats getting up every day and thinking about your bum ticker.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I wasn't planning to do any work today because I'ms till in training :yotj:

But I swapped a battery in a 2011 MB Pro and pulled an optical drive from an iMac so I could shake out the flash drive someone stuck in one of three, repeat three iMacs today. That, and shadowed on two desktop visits that proved not to be hardware issues after all (we have a special flag we can set that adds the ticket to the monthly boss-client meeting).

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Hello Dell Precision M4700 left over after redundancies, or as you shall be known as from now on, "Steam Console"