Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've wanted a melee-crit-only option for years now, I don't think it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

I can sort of understand them not having a no-crit vote option. Crits let new players get a few kills off which encourages them to keep playing and maybe buy some keys/hats/whatever. No crit-servers are great though.

There are plenty of ways for new players to get a few kills, charged bodyshots, flamethrowers, putting up a sentry, sticky traps, staying spun-up through a corner. If anything, it's likely that new players will be the victims of random crits because better players will be getting more damage. Random crits sound like one of those decisions Valve made when designing the game which made them vastly under estimate the playerbase and do all sorts of things to pander to new players instead of expecting them to get better.

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

I can only imagine how horrible it is to actually have 500 ping and fight other people with that much latency. Give these people some servers they can actually play on.

Most people just use quickplay and get sent wherever. When the Halloween update came out, everyone got send to a server in Dubai or something and it was awful.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've wanted a melee-crit-only option for years now, I don't think it's happening.

It was added to the game a few weeks ago.

code:
tf_weapon_criticals "0"
tf_weapon_criticals_melee "2"

1-800-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 1, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

Random crits are fine for casual play, and I don't think you should ever take random crits away from melee weapons. It's so fun to finish off some joker with a crit Pain Train or Disciplinary Action.

I mean, who doesn't like to go for a ride at the Pain Train Station in Train Town?

There is nothing better than killing a disguised spy with a crit Disciplinary Action :allears:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

pisshead posted:

There are plenty of ways for new players to get a few kills, charged bodyshots, flamethrowers, putting up a sentry, sticky traps, staying spun-up through a corner. If anything, it's likely that new players will be the victims of random crits because better players will be getting more damage. Random crits sound like one of those decisions Valve made when designing the game which made them vastly under estimate the playerbase and do all sorts of things to pander to new players instead of expecting them to get better.

All of these are things I would expect someone who has even a small amount of knowledge about the game to do; a "newbie" isn't even going to know what charging the shot on his sniper rifle does, won't stay still and hidden as a heavy because that is an ambush tactic and they have no idea what the map looks like or where people are coming from; etc.

Basically my position on random crits are that they are good because as said everybody gets them and sometimes people get detectably mad at me for getting them while I totally shrug them off as a lucky break on the other teams part. They get the benefit of killing me and I get to go on pretending there is some difference in survival instinct between me and the rest of the filthy pubbies around me.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
For any of you that care about the stupid hat economy, Trade.TF recently wrote an interesting analysis about how fast keys have been rising in price over the past few months. What really surprised me was the number of active trades. There were 1 million a week last year, but now there have only been 100k trades a week open this year.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Melee weapons random-crit so often that it's a major part of their balance. I'd totally play with "melee random crits only" all the time if I could.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Melee weapons random-crit so often that it's a major part of their balance. I'd totally play with "melee random crits only" all the time if I could.

Yeah, running around as a BFB boosted scout beating people with a fish wouldn't work if it wasn't for random crits. With no crits it takes like 9 melee swings to kill a heavy, which obviously does not work at all. Unless he's dumb and you land on his head.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

From the comments it looks like a lot of the hat barons are moving over to cs:go and the prices of unusual are falling?

The net result of this being a f2p can buy himself a key from the store to go premium, sell the key for 12 ref, buy every single weapon in the game and have change left over to buy a couple of hats?

Personally (as an idiot retard with hundred of thousands of dollars tied up in sparkly tf2 hats) I'm extremely angry about these loving dirtpoors casting off their gibuses and will find greener pastures to spread my foetid bullshit on. :smugbert:

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Zero! posted:

Edit: And then zappis straight up gets launched into space

10 points for height, 3 for the landing.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
For those that missed it live, the Finnish space program didn't quite make it. :pseudo:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ahahahahah so much spam with everyone going for the airshot of the year

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The sneaky scout cap red pulled in that is great. They gently caress up a medic pick with the spy, then everyone pushes through one door as a distraction and the scout slips in and caps last.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Solumin posted:

There is nothing better than killing with a Disciplinary Action :allears:

Fixed for myself. Using it against a charging demo makes me feel like a bullfighter, especially when you sidestep his charge and then crit kill him from the side/behind.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Othin posted:

Fixed for myself. Using it against a charging demo makes me feel like a bullfighter, especially when you sidestep his charge and then crit kill him from the side/behind.

Its mile long range makes it my favorite way to kill jumper + gardener soldiers.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Hey remember 2 weeks ago when Valve patched pl_upward

They apparently left that griefing teleporter spot 2 feet away from the changed spawnroom intact.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My god, that networking script in the OP has made such an insane difference over stock. I'm able to consistently hit snapshots with rockets and the scattergun, and melee is less of a pain in the rear end. Its let me go from an ok soldier to Batman. Yeah I'm stomping all over valve servers so its not like I've suddenly become MLG Pro 420 but I don't feel like I'm fighting the netcode anymore.

And it feels good man.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jose Mengelez posted:

From the comments it looks like a lot of the hat barons are moving over to cs:go and the prices of unusual are falling?

The net result of this being a f2p can buy himself a key from the store to go premium, sell the key for 12 ref, buy every single weapon in the game and have change left over to buy a couple of hats?

Personally (as an idiot retard with hundred of thousands of dollars tied up in sparkly tf2 hats) I'm extremely angry about these loving dirtpoors casting off their gibuses and will find greener pastures to spread my foetid bullshit on. :smugbert:

Im laughing at anyone who uses their video games as an INVESTMENT.

I buy hats to look good I dont care if I can profit off them, I have a real job.

None of this is directed at you Jose, just using your quote.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jose Mengelez posted:

Holy poo poo, you ain't kidding. My unusual is worth about $30 less than when I bought it. Oddly enough, it's about the same value in buds, it's just those have depreciated significantly.

I didn't buy the thing to make money, I bought it because I had a ton of keys from getting lucky with botkillers before they collapsed. I bought it to have little planets zoom around my head.

Still, though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Mengelez posted:

sell the key for 12 ref, buy every single weapon in the game
is there a way to do this without interacting with people?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

bowmore posted:

is there a way to do this without interacting with people?

Scrap.tf lets you trade weapons for metal and vice versa, at an exchange rate of 2 weapons per Scrap Metal. All done via bots.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ditocoaf posted:

Scrap.tf lets you trade weapons for metal and vice versa, at an exchange rate of 2 weapons per Scrap Metal. All done via bots.
sweet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Am I the only one who gets more upset at random crit deaths where the crit didn't matter? Like a random shotgun meatshot that crits and kills you from full health, fair play, but if I had 3 health left it just feels like the game's rubbing it in.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Dabir posted:

Am I the only one who gets more upset at random crit deaths where the crit didn't matter? Like a random shotgun meatshot that crits and kills you from full health, fair play, but if I had 3 health left it just feels like the game's rubbing it in.
Anyone cognizant of the difference probably feels the opposite of that, so honestly you probably are. But mostly players just love to blame the crits, whether they had full health or got pasted at 3 health by a direct crocket. "Wow, lucky crit."

The term Robin used was 'ego soothing.' This was back before hats when the TF2 thread was exclusively crit-chat for like a year running. Basically the intended psychological benefit is a crit feels good whether you earned it or not, and since crits are random it's always fair when you get a kill with one. But dying to a crit is unfair, and the player can conveniently blame the crit regardless of the circumstances they died. In terms of player ego, random crits are a win/win.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I never blame the crit for my death, don't get me wrong, it just feels unnecessarily cruel on the part of the RNG. When I notice it most tends to be when I'm having a round where literally everything that kills me is a crit, so after a while of that it gets to a point where I'm retreating back to spawn under fire, that last bit of health gets taken off by shotgun chip damage and I hear that POWWW CRIT noise and I just stare at the screen and go "Really?"

E: it's like the game going HAAAAAAAAAA YOU DIED

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Aw man, the price of keys and tickets have gone up in the Mann Co store. :( Hopefully tickets will go on sale again this year, I'm finally upgrading my PC and MvM shouldn't run like a slideshow anymore!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Magypsy posted:

Aw man, the price of keys and tickets have gone up in the Mann Co store. :( Hopefully tickets will go on sale again this year, I'm finally upgrading my PC and MvM shouldn't run like a slideshow anymore!

I've only played it a couple of times but I'm pretty sure that is the server or maybe a net config? It's the same as the halloween things. All the players on the server are totally smooth but the AI jerks around every where.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It looks like they just updated foreign prices to keep them inline with the US prices. The community market is still probably cheaper, though.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

I've only played it a couple of times but I'm pretty sure that is the server or maybe a net config? It's the same as the halloween things. All the players on the server are totally smooth but the AI jerks around every where.

Nah, everything freezes for me, I just have a really old computer. Thanks for your concern, though!

Baron von Eevl posted:

It looks like they just updated foreign prices to keep them inline with the US prices. The community market is still probably cheaper, though.

It's cheaper for keys, usually, but stuff like tickets always wound up selling for a few pence more than the store. I think it was because it was more expensive to buy from the store in certain countries, maybe it'll change now the currencies are about even.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Scrap.tf's https://marketplace.tf/ still hast keys for pretty cheap compared to the Steam Community. Plus you can even just buy metal off of there if you want.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

Problem is, if all the hat barons disappear to chase AK-47 skins, how is TF2 supposed to make money? Ordinary players are not going to open crates because you usually lose 80%+ of the value of the key.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Magypsy posted:

With keys at £1.59, if you get a cosmetic out of a crate worth 1.33 refined you're losing 90% of the value of the key.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
The economy needs a metal sink. Five metal turns into a ticket or something; there's always going to be more metal forever. There's no good mechanism to get rid of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They tried to fix the metal problem by putting in numbered hats, but new hats trickle in at a slower rate than the metal.

It was an interesting idea and probably an effective solution, it just doesn't operate at the scale necessary. Especially considering how long it took them to fix idling, that really hosed everything up.

More recipes for metal that aren't hats would definitely be a good thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
10 Refined = 1 key hire me valve.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Peanut President posted:

10 Refined = 1 key hire me valve.

That'll never pass Valve's rigorous standards of game design.

Now, 10 Refined = a chance at 1 key..... now that game design shows merit.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reusable Giftapult -- 1 Reclaimed per use. Merry christmas! Neat poo poo you toss is more likely than not to make some newbie's day. Or, you can get rid of your crates in style!
Scrap-Powered Noisemaker -- 1 Scrap per use, but infinitely spammable!
Strange Metallurgist's Coat -- Like that one badge that levels up and changes appearance when you give gifts, this one just eats your Refined to make a number go up.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

pisshead posted:

Problem is, if all the hat barons disappear to chase AK-47 skins, how is TF2 supposed to make money? Ordinary players are not going to open crates because you usually lose 80%+ of the value of the key.

If you don't get a winning scratchcard you usually don't get poo poo, doesn't stop people buying them. I'm guessing the chance of unboxing an unusual will still be a draw even if they halved in value. Either way, didn't valve hire an economist? What happened with that?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

If you don't get a winning scratchcard you usually don't get poo poo, doesn't stop people buying them. I'm guessing the chance of unboxing an unusual will still be a draw even if they halved in value. Either way, didn't valve hire an economist? What happened with that?

Problem is, what if the whales decide they want whatever dota/csgo has instead of unusuals because there are more people to show it off to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Make taunting cost a scrap. bam. no metal anywhere. all gone. a wasteland.

Also the etf2lseason19poweredbyttesportsgrandfinal map 2 was pretty excellent

• Locked thread