Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha and each pair costs $60+?

"You have now earned the right to wear our schools Muay Thai shorts which you must buy"

I know all of the above exists and such and I have even heard of schools using prai jiad for ranking

I mean I guess I understand an incentive to work hard and come often and people like to feel rewarded but it's mostly adults that don't care who do Muay Thai. And maybe some places want a beginner and advance class and want to distinguish it but not many places have big enough classes to warrant it. Most all places are going to be like 10 ish per class. I've never seen more than 15 in a class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Christoff posted:

Haha and each pair costs $60+?

"You have now earned the right to wear our schools Muay Thai shorts which you must buy"

I know all of the above exists and such and I have even heard of schools using prai jiad for ranking

I mean I guess I understand an incentive to work hard and come often and people like to feel rewarded but it's mostly adults that don't care who do Muay Thai. And maybe some places want a beginner and advance class and want to distinguish it but not many places have big enough classes to warrant it. Most all places are going to be like 10 ish per class. I've never seen more than 15 in a class

Well they're not mandatory to wear for the class. There's no obligation to even buy them. I'm sure there are a lot of sleazy places that force you to buy stuff, but our gym isn't like that at all. We have 3 levels of Muay Thai training from 101 to 301 along with competition teams. As to class sizes, we're downtown in a large city so we have a pretty big membership, but there are so many classes that 20 is usually the max I've seen for Muay Thai.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm level 15 in Muay Thai RPG. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MagicCube posted:

Well they're not mandatory to wear for the class. There's no obligation to even buy them. I'm sure there are a lot of sleazy places that force you to buy stuff, but our gym isn't like that at all. We have 3 levels of Muay Thai training from 101 to 301 along with competition teams. As to class sizes, we're downtown in a large city so we have a pretty big membership, but there are so many classes that 20 is usually the max I've seen for Muay Thai.

Oh ok that's a lot different. Some places have required uniforms/shorts you must purchase (even for Muay Thai)

Since we're on a roll here I'll bring it up for the 20th time. I'm sure a lot of people remember that YouTube Muay Thai kata video that got taken down from that gym in...Colorado I think? That offered Muay Thai levels of certification like crossfit or some poo poo. Total McDojo. Belts and "YES SIR ONE MORE SIR"

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 30, 2014

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah, that poo poo was hilarious, complete with kicking pads while wearing shinguards and the whole class sitting crosslegged in rapt attention while the teacher would do some explaining in front of them.

Too bad nobody saved that stuff or mirrored it somewhere.

Back to the question of grading, there actually is a grading system for Muay Thai, the Khan ranks. You can do seminars and get certified by travelling Thai professors from some institute. The gym I train at isn't very big on traditional Thai stuff, so we never do these seminars.

The prajeat and it's color then signify your Khan rank, at least from what I've heard..

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm a 28 year old guy. Fairly overweight. I've never hit another human being in my life, but I've been hemming and hawing for a long time about starting in on martial arts for a number of reasons. Exercise, discipline, self confidence, and self defense if needed.

So a few questions:
Am I too old to start?

How are classes taught? My mental image of training is a few dozen people practicing moves simultaneously. Or is it more individual?

What's the best way to find a gym?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I started when I was 27 so I hope I wasn't too old. We also got a guy in our Judo group who started when he was 50... It might be too late to become a top competitor but no it's not too late to start if you want to do it for

quote:

Exercise, discipline, self confidence, and self defense if needed.

How you train varies between gyms, MAs and probably by how your instructor happens to feel that day but the structure of a class for me has usually been something like:

Warmup: Anything from bodyweight exercises to running or MA specific deals like shrimping and breakfalls and poo poo for grappling or bag work for boxing. Followed by.

Technique lessons: Where you actually learn the thing you are supposed to learn. How to hit, how to dodge, how to throw, how to move etc. Whatever it is you are learning that time. Expect to work with a partner. Followed by.

Sparring: Practice fights. Where you punch a dude but don't really mean to hurt him. Not all MAs do sparring, not all gyms or dojos or dojangs or whatever do sparring) but it's important for the competitive ones and I'd say it's the only time where the techniques have ever "clicked" and made sense.

What your thinking of sounds like kata from karate or something. It's either useless bullshit or an important way of teaching your body the correct motions. Depends on who ask.

Read the OP. It's pretty good and written by people who know what they are talking about unlike me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

first off you're going to get a lot of "get off your rear end and stop procrastinating" and you have a pulse so you're good to go"

It's quite unique depending on the gym and where you live as far as availability and what the training is like

If you're in a more built up area, downtown, etc. you'll have a lot of options for martial arts. So start there. You might only have 1 or 2 gyms for x martial art or you might have 10 to chose from.

Yelp is an ok start just make sure you scroll to the bottom and click the "not recommended reviews link." I know specifically of a Muay thai gym that practically scams people and gives people free t-shirts for positive yelp reviews. So it's a bunch of 5 star reviews and more "not recommended" 0 star ones talking about how terrible it is and his shady business model. I assume you can buy bad reviews away or I don't know exactly how it works

ANYWAYS. Start there. You can also tell a lot from the websites alone. Feel free to share the gym websites here. If there's a lot of gyms in your area you might find some people/reviews from that gym on the sherdog forum

Most any gym will have something like a 3 day trial. So try out multiple ones and see which you like best. Going to a new gym let alone starting a new martial art can be quite intimidating. Some places will be a bunch of bros with egos but thankfully a lot of that is diminishing because obviously it's bad for business

So find out what martial arts interest you and the availability in your area, what the commute would be, and go from there. Remember the best gym is the one you go to. You'll find most here will recommend jiu jitsu and or Muay Thai. A lot have both

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Travic posted:

I'm a 28 year old guy. Fairly overweight. I've never hit another human being in my life, but I've been hemming and hawing for a long time about starting in on martial arts for a number of reasons. Exercise, discipline, self confidence, and self defense if needed.

I suggest boxing, BJJ or a Muay Thai/Kickboxing gym where they do sparring. All boxing gyms do sparring and all BJJ gyms do rolling so they are safe picks. Why sparring? Otherwise you won't learn anything useful outside of the gym really. If someone comes at you from the bushes, how ever unlikely that is, unless you have done "live" sparring against resisting people you probably have no idea what to do. That said, if someone just wants to be athletic and lose weight, fitness boxing or cardio kickboxing are great, but you won't, uhhh, learn boxing or kickboxing that way. If it makes any sense.

quote:

So a few questions:
Am I too old to start?

Not by a long shot. 28 years is young enough to even become pretty good at some activity like a martial art. You won't be ever competing at the highest state or national level probably, but will still become more awesome than 999 out of a 1000 people.

quote:

How are classes taught? My mental image of training is a few dozen people practicing moves simultaneously. Or is it more individual?

Completely depends on the gym, the instructor and the martial art. Even boxing classes vary wildly from gym to gym and trainer to trainer, which is interesting on itself, considering it's a sport wherein you have three (3) different arm strikes you can use and the only purpose is to hit the other person with those three punches while preferably not getting hit that much yourself. Doesn't sound too complicated, right?

Today I'll throw a class later. We'll probably start with either shadow boxing or moving exercises with stretching between, then have a fitness circuit to get people well and truly warmed up, then train techniques in pairs and finish with striking heavy bags until everyone is tired.

What you imagine is probably TMA (traditional martial art) stuff: with ninja's or men in pajamas doing the same kick over and over again shouting "hai!" while standing in formation, a mighty sensei overseeing them. That said boxing or kickboxing gyms can also do that stuff, when I was doing kickboxing when I was a teenager we kicked air in formation, but I'm pretty sure you'll not be seeing much of this these days unless you choose to practice karate or perhaps TKD or the mystical eastern art of the way of the wrathful stork (of death).

quote:

Check OP. My short advice is: 99% of every place offers a free class, or lets you watch a class if you don't want to attend. Go check out places.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Travic posted:

Am I too old to start?

I started in my mid-40s so you'll be like a sixth degree black belt* by the time you get to my starting age if you begin now.

* in bjj, I'm not sure how many MT/Boxing stripes this equates to

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Travic posted:

So a few questions:
Am I too old to start?

You're definitely not too old to start, or even too old to reach a very high level of skill while still in your physical prime. I would encourage people in their 40's and 50's to start training martial arts.

Classes are generally some combination of warmup, technique instruction, drills, and sparring. Be very wary of gyms that don't spar.

The best thing for self-defense is to do a combat sport (especially MMA) and adapt the fundamental skills you learn there to non-sport situations; although, to be honest, the real best thing for self-defense is to get in shape so you both make yourself less of a target and can run away from a dangerous scenario.

Where do you live?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I live in Richmond, VA.

I'm still on the fence about hitting vs hugging. Also I know I listed self-defense last, but it is still quite important to me to be able to defend myself in addition to the other things I mentioned so I'm leaning more towards the "Practical" arts listed in the OP.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Travic posted:

I live in Richmond, VA.

I'm still on the fence about hitting vs hugging. Also I know I listed self-defense last, but it is still quite important to me to be able to defend myself in addition to the other things I mentioned so I'm leaning more towards the "Practical" arts listed in the OP.

My suggestions:

http://www.richmondbjj.com/ has BJJ and muay thai.

http://www.revolutionbjj.com/ has BJJ and muay thai, and some judo.

Both look good to me and have good reputations. Whatever gym you decide to train at, it's a good idea to go and observe a class (and if they offer an free intro class, take it) to see which you prefer. Pay attention to things like teaching style, cleanliness, and gym atmosphere and go where you feel most comfortable. If you can sign up for 1-3 months somewhere that's preferable. Long contracts aren't necessarily the sign of a bad gym, but it's something you'll probably want to avoid until you're very confident that you'll be happy at a given place.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 1, 2014

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Travic posted:

So a few questions:
Am I too old to start?

We had a guy start karate at like 72 and just recently got his black belt. He's not going to be steamrolling anyone in competitions but he's in good shape for an old man.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
For gyms: post what you find here and the goon crowd decision machine will provably give you some good Intel.

28 is not too old. You are trading some time but with the maturity you'll probably train with more focus and in better ways than most 20 year olds so you will probably come along faster. Also I promise that if you find a good gym and enjoy the art you will be fit almost by accident in like 6 months.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Keep in mind there's nothing wrong with spending six months hugging and then changing your mind and hitting instead, or vice versa. Just dive in.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Xguard86 posted:

For gyms: post what you find here and the goon crowd decision machine will provably give you some good Intel.

28 is not too old. You are trading some time but with the maturity you'll probably train with more focus and in better ways than most 20 year olds so you will probably come along faster. Also I promise that if you find a good gym and enjoy the art you will be fit almost by accident in like 6 months.

Here's a few I saw:

http://www.mmainstitute.com/ (Looks good, offers a lot of different styles, and is close to where I live)

http://dongs.com/ He has pages and pages about him on Google so he's probably the real deal.

Am I right in thinking these are a little sketch?:

http://www.koryomartialarts.org/koryo/Welcome.html

http://rtmaonline.com/

I couldn't find any places that explicitly teach Kyokushin Karate. I may just have to call places that teach Karate and pronounce it wrong over the phone to see if they teach it.

Travic fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 2, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Travic posted:

Here's a few I saw:

http://www.mmainstitute.com/ (Looks good, offers a lot of different styles, and is close to where I live)

Looks fine.

quote:

http://dongs.com/ He has pages and pages about him on Google so he's probably the real deal.

you don't want to be a fat guy doing TKD

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can give this the internet-3rd hand seal of approval... I know a guy that trains there and he's pretty cool/good so I assume they are also. (I'm in Tampa and he visits here every so often)

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

I can give this the internet-3rd hand seal of approval... I know a guy that trains there and he's pretty cool/good so I assume they are also. (I'm in Tampa and he visits here every so often)

Dang man where do you train at? I go to Gracie Tampa West in Oldsmar.

I have my first MMA fight this saturday in Clearwater. Drop on by if you wanna see me gas real hard! (I plan on winning before that happens)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Travic posted:

I need to buy this domain.

Also, if you click the link it's two kids touching dong.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Dang man where do you train at? I go to Gracie Tampa West in Oldsmar.

Sup, bamboo-buddy...I am your geriatric leg-locking friend!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. Thanks for the input. I think I'll give Revolution and MMAInstitute a look first. Now I just need to squash my nervousness and get in the door. :shobon:

Also what's the deal with Taekwondo? It seems to get a bad rap from what I've seen.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Travic posted:

Also what's the deal with Taekwondo? It seems to get a bad rap from what I've seen.

TKD gets a bad reputation because a lot of McDojo's are TKD gyms. Even at it's best, you're only going to be point fighting or doing bitching acrobatic kicks. (Nothing wrong with that, if that's your bag.)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Travic posted:

Ok. Thanks for the input. I think I'll give Revolution and MMAInstitute a look first. Now I just need to squash my nervousness and get in the door. :shobon:

McDojos tend to congregate around TKD and Karate.
If you want to learn how to "defend yourself" learning the punch sport that focuses on kicking without punching or clinching seems kinda a bad idea.
Muay Thai is better

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

Sup, bamboo-buddy...I am your geriatric leg-locking friend!

I didn't realize how ancient you were! I should've suspected though that the weirdest person I train with would be a goon.

Things will never be the same now...

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Darlok posted:

I didn't realize how ancient you were! I should've suspected though that the weirdest person I train with would be a goon.

Things will never be the same now...

Never not assume strange people are goons.

I've been watching a lot of videos and it seems like Judo is great for getting people on the ground and BJJ is good for keeping them there.

Travic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dear Prudence posted:

This is the funniest and most awkward commercial for a trainer. I can't even stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drtNxIyn0vk

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Travic posted:

If it helps I've trained bjj for 8 years and still got some butterflies when I went to the gym I started attending when I started traveling for work. It's always kinda hard to walk into places like that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

More like Tim Lame

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Fun times, going to shoot a street violence scene for that movie in an hour. I doubt it will be longer than 5-6 seconds if that but still. Still hoping they let me do the choreography. (i.e. someone throws a punch, there is stand up wrestling, other guy gets the upper hand and then punches and kicks other guy while he struggles to get up.)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did some light MMA sparring last night for the first time, was really really fun.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Oh boy that was fun!!!11 The director wanted a longer stand-up phase for the last shoot so after shoving and throwing several stupid overhands rights (we aimed for the shoulders which sort of looked like hitting the head from the cam angle) we started wrestling, other guy eventually is forced on both knees like I planned, punches to the head area and soccer kicks to the ribs while holding him down, he still takes me down with a sloppy double leg, we roll for a bit (with bad technique) I get back on top with drunken sweep, more punches, I get on both feet and start punching and kicking the now fetal position victim, he struggles to get up, I do the arms wide "come on bitch, you don't wanna get up, come on bitch, asdasf!"¤!%¤" but he starts struggling up anyway, drop him with a hook and then (EUGH!) stomps to the ribs and soccer kicks to the head to make it look nasty enough. :stonk:

Anyway, two police officers were watching the filming and later came to shake our hands for fight that they thought looked real enough :v: I take great pride in this :colbert: Also both directors were happy. That said after editing who knows if it'll even make it (or how much it's edited) but I hope some of it does. As a surprise I already knew the other guy, a stubby 240lbs dude who has done some super amateur local circuit MMA fights.

edit: Oh yeah we were rolling and falling down on de street, on asphalt (and in a public area which lots of passers by). My knees are a bit busted. And it was funny how the crew kept asking if we're sure we're ok, heh. And some passersby were worried but usually spotted the soundman and just asked what we're filming.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 3, 2014

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
That's awesome Ligur, sounds like crazy fun. You should see if they'll give you a copy of the footage whether or not it makes the final cut

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My suggestions:

http://www.richmondbjj.com/ has BJJ and muay thai.

Andrew Smith from Revolution runs US Grappling, and thats probably the best mid sized tournament org serving the Carolina and Chesapeake bay area. A dude from Richmond BJJ hosed me up royally at a US Grappling tournament last year, score was like 25-5. So what I'm saying is either is probably good, go where you like people and it's convenient.

Pachinko
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah, to be honest the best thing you can do is an MMA that incorporates BJJ and Muay Thai.
MT has you covered standing up, while the ground is all BJJ.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't that pretty much the standard now. Train BJJ fly to Thailand and train rinse repeat (or do it all stateside w/e)

Yeah there's a small handful of pros who have 20th degree black belts or some poo poo but they all do MT at least a bit

But I mean do whatever you enjoy obviously. Those are just proven to be effective

Side talk about MT. There's one dude I spar who has great boxing but hardly any kicks. He's a bit predictable but my boxing loving blows and I always end up catching an overhand hook. What's the best bit? Obviously keep the distance. Teep the poo poo out of him and just keep kicking?

Also Jesus Christ I try so hard to keep my chin down and tucked and mouth closed but when I panic it all goes to poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 4, 2014

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

With boxers, you stay on the outside and dictate the distance with teeps and jabs, until you are ready to switch and move into the clinch.

Throw inside legkicks to their lead leg to take away their base before moving closer so you don't eat counters.

When they try to close in, tie their arms up and try to sweep and throw them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah my simple non-switch kick low left kick to his lead was my go-to. Kept almost tagging him in the nuts though, woops.

Also kept cutting the angle to the same side with a hook to set up a kick with the opposite leg

Lastly for throwing hooks I've heard mixed poo poo about palms facing you while you swing on a horizontal plane. That's what I do since it's how I initially learned. I think I was told MMA fighters keep the thumb a bit more down?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Christoff posted:

Yeah my simple non-switch kick low left kick to his lead was my go-to. Kept almost tagging him in the nuts though, woops.

Also kept cutting the angle to the same side with a hook to set up a kick with the opposite leg

Lastly for throwing hooks I've heard mixed poo poo about palms facing you while you swing on a horizontal plane. That's what I do since it's how I initially learned. I think I was told MMA fighters keep the thumb a bit more down?

You can do either, I think most camps are split on this. For me, I swing like you, I want to hit with my middle finger knuckle, boot my pinky knuckle. With such little gloves, which knuckle is more likely to break on a solid punch?

• Locked thread