Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Some of those ways were really evil like rape but some of them were simple luxuries that Beth routinely pointed out were way more special than they were regarding them such as watching DVDs

DVD guy was one of the bona-fide rapists. We never saw any characterization of non-rapists unless you persist in arguing that Dawn was not a rapist, but...

STAC Goat posted:

Assuming she was raping Noah means you think Dawn was utterly deluded and somehow saw her rapes as different from their rapes.

Well, she says "you're laughing with your buddies about that poor girl being raped" (emphasis mine... and hers). It's their attitude she cites as problematic, and the loss of a shared vision of Duty above all else. She doesn't have to enjoy raping Noah, but she does it because it exerts control and maintains order. Exulting in the act of domination is the abominable thing to her, not the act of domination itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only thing I'm not looking forward to about the second part of this season is having to deal with Maggie's crying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm also glad that we shifted the discussion from Abe being a wife-beater to Dawn being a rapist.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Someone will use the word zombie in season 8 and it will literally be a former Cinema Discusso goon who notes how similar walkers are to the 1932 Bela Lugosi film "White Zombie". Conflict will arise when the goon attempts to convince Rick that he shouldn't kill walkers because they are obviously symbolic of the victimization caused by American colonialism.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

enraged_camel posted:

The only thing I'm not looking forward to about the second part of this season is having to deal with Maggie's crying.

Maybe she will go back to forgetting she had a sister like before this episode.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

I'm also glad that we shifted the discussion from Abe being a wife-beater to Dawn being a rapist.
Yeah, but does Dawn have AIDS?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't pick up any cues that she'd been abusing Noah sexually. The rapes were a symptom of the horrific prison camp power-structure. Dawn didn't need Noah physically under her: He wasn't her dildo, he was her punching bag.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

moths posted:

I didn't pick up any cues that she'd been abusing Noah sexually. The rapes were a symptom of the horrific prison camp power-structure. Dawn didn't need Noah physically under her: He wasn't her dildo, he was her punching bag.

I don't think she was sexually assaulting him but I think that the mindset, the control, the flexing of power over him, it may not be forcing him to eat her taco or anything but it's still that lording over manipulation that the rest of the cops had.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I liked the episode. Don't know what the flub they are gonna do now though. Washington was a hoax, all the previous safe havens have been burned to the ground, the church is hosed, although they'll prob bury Beth someplace. Guess their next objective is the priest with his possible tetanus. The show could also be really stupid (What? No way...) and all that nail did was make him unable to run for this one episode, and then say "I can't run anymore" so that Michonne could reply "We ain't running", or whatever it was.

I saw some talk about Morgan finding the map with Ricks name on it, pointing to DC. They don't show those post-credits things here so I didn't catch that. I suppose they will go to DC regardless. Or maybe they just show Morgan is going there and you never hear from him again, ever.

Question: is there another one of those X months hiatus on the show now?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gortarius posted:

I liked the episode. Don't know what the flub they are gonna do now though. Washington was a hoax, all the previous safe havens have been burned to the ground, the church is hosed, although they'll prob bury Beth someplace. Guess their next objective is the priest with his possible tetanus. The show could also be really stupid (What? No way...) and all that nail did was make him unable to run for this one episode, and then say "I can't run anymore" so that Michonne could reply "We ain't running", or whatever it was.

I saw some talk about Morgan finding the map with Ricks name on it, pointing to DC. They don't show those post-credits things here so I didn't catch that. I suppose they will go to DC regardless. Or maybe they just show Morgan is going there and you never hear from him again, ever.

Noah's home.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Question: is there another one of those X months hiatus on the show now?

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/spoilers-morgan-closes-in-episode-508-the-walking-dead-coda

They're going to Noah's place. It's got walls and poo poo and they motivate it in the trailer for the midseason premiere.

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/trailer-the-walking-dead-returns-in-february

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

enraged_camel posted:

February is 2 months away, plenty of time for both. :haw:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Everyone calling Beth dumb, if you were face to face with Hitler who demanded you hand over a Jew and you had a pair of scissors, can you say you wouldn't do the same?

Not if it means that you risk to have all other jews killed. That's what bothered me most about Beth's "sacrifice". She must know what would happen after such an action => everyone starts to shot each other and in the end people would be dead she loved/liked (that this didn't happen is also just because of "TV reasons"). That is not really her character and we also haven't been show any REAL hate by her for Dawn, nothing to lead to such a drastic action. It really did come out of nowhere, at least based on the story/character but I still expected it because something "stupid" just had to happen...

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
See, I just don't understand any of the motivation behind Dawn/the hospital crew, and Beth. I kind of do, but it all just seemed really muddy and dumb, and when you DO think you understand the angle, you remember "Oh wait, there was this side to things that goes completely against all that other stuff."

You think maybe it's complex characters who are just conflicted, but it's really just bad writing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Maybe she thought killing a person was as easy as killing a zombie and she just monumentally hosed up and it got her shot. Show characters aren't infallible, and she's certainly no assassin.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Maybe she thought killing a person was as easy as killing a zombie and she just monumentally hosed up and it got her shot. Show characters aren't infallible, and she's certainly no assassin.

Then she still should've stabbed her in the head.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Lycus posted:

No way does this come close to the utter awesomeness of Andrea's death scene.

Fixed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was pretty boring. Off camera and overly sappy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Has this show ever portrayed a female character as not useless or a piece of poo poo?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ElGroucho posted:

Has this show ever portrayed a female character as not useless or a piece of poo poo?
Carol's had a few real badass moments recently.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

um, Carol? Andrea at times? Maggie? Michonne?

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Michonne? Maggie? Sasha?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh yes, Carol the killer nurse, Maggie the forgetful sister, and Michonne, who used to be cool and is now lame as hell

I don't even know who Sasha is, so we can assume she is not important

ed: nevermind, Sasha is that idiot who thought helping a captive prisoner was a good idea

My point is that all the women display occasional bouts of stupidity, while Mary Sue Darryl is occasionally is mean to people, but then turns on God mode and saves the day

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 1, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrAviTy84 posted:

um, Carol? Andrea at times? Maggie? Michonne?

Carol and Michonne. Maggie is competent, but pretty useless as a character who brings something to the table.

Although, I'd like to see a woman who's strong without being :black101:. Carol is pretty close to that, but she's also a badass too. Honestly, she's the only character with a real arc in this show, so people calling for her blood are pretty dumb.

Carl started to have an arc, but they seemed to drop that for some reason.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

ElGroucho posted:

My point is that all the women display occasional bouts of stupidity, while Mary Sue Darryl is occasionally is mean to people, but then turns on God mode and saves the day

Please detail how Maggie and Carol have displayed "bouts of stupidity".

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I mean, don't they all display random bouts of stupidity mixed with interspersed God mode ownage?

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Oh yes, Carol the killer nurse, Maggie the forgetful sister, and Michonne, who used to be cool and is now lame as hell

I don't even know who Sasha is, so we can assume she is not important

What exactly is the point you're trying to make? Carol and michonne are not pieces of poo poo or useless, which is what you were complaining about. Sasha just showed in the most recent episode she is a good sniper, but yeah she did make a mistake once. All the characters do.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you guys are right, this show rules and all the characters are well written

Peace

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LinkesAuge posted:

Not if it means that you risk to have all other jews killed. That's what bothered me most about Beth's "sacrifice". She must know what would happen after such an action => everyone starts to shot each other and in the end people would be dead she loved/liked (that this didn't happen is also just because of "TV reasons"). That is not really her character and we also haven't been show any REAL hate by her for Dawn, nothing to lead to such a drastic action. It really did come out of nowhere, at least based on the story/character but I still expected it because something "stupid" just had to happen...

They use people, the cops wanted Dawn gone not a fire fight. So Beth scissored Dawn.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I like it better when the dumb arguments last five posts instead of two pages

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Michonne, who used to be cool and is now lame as hell

Actually the opposite is true. She was a non-character when she was first introduced.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Buddington posted:

What exactly is the point you're trying to make? Carol and michonne are not pieces of poo poo or useless, which is what you were complaining about. Sasha just showed in the most recent episode she is a good sniper, but yeah she did make a mistake once. All the characters do.

And really the show is predicated on the group making bad decisions. If they didn't it would be a show about a group of people sitting around in a high rise somehwere - like the hospital - probably on an island if they can get to one and occasionally going out to find food. The fun is exploring and it's what gives us different settings, problems and people to change things up but you really would have no reason to do that in any comparable situation. Bad decisions are necesarry for a better show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sasha was consistently competent until nuBob showed up, and I'm willing to let that pass because grieving causes lapses of judgment.

I want Carol or Darryl to take her under their wing and turn her into a true badass.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Why would they name that cop Bob. There was already a character named Bob, in the same season no less.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah, you guys are right, this show rules and all the characters are well written

Peace

I don't know what your deal is, they aren't any more shittily written than their male counterparts who tend to be just as flat and boring most of the time. What would it take for you to consider them "not useless"

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Wandle Cax posted:

Why would they name that cop Bob. There was already a character named Bob, in the same season no less.

To give Sasha a bad reason to trust him.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

So that Sasha would let her guard down, and so that Rick could mirror Gareth's line from the trough scene and say "Can't go back, Bob".

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Rick murdering a dude for running from him suggests that, deep down, he really is still a cop at heart.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

AndyElusive posted:

Also lol at the cops calling walkers "rotters". The writers come up with some interesting poo poo to avoid the word "zombie".
Huh. Dunno why my brain overcomplicated it, but I heard it as 'rauders (like short for marauders)

Pharmaskittle posted:

Rick murdering a dude for running from him suggests that, deep down, he really is still a cop at heart.
All you had to do was obey me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I heard 'rioters' early on, which made me confused and thought they were referring to some sort of rioting that occurred concurrent with the outbreak. :confused:

• Locked thread