Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I actually just remembered my mom had sent me a picture from it when they got it, and had told me the store had JUST gotten in the shipment when they bought one. That was on 3/18/12, and the 3rd Gen came out on 3/16 so it's a 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

tuyop posted:

Any change in interaction logic is going to be painful for anyone who isn't fairly technologically literate to negotiate. Give an average 11 year old a laptop and ask them to email someone a file and watch the train wreck. Young people as a rule, in my experience, are used to dealing with mobile device logic, old people (especially ones who already have a computer) are probably used to traditional OS logic.

Literally every older (60+) year old, including octogenarians, I've shown an iPad to has picked up the basics within minutes. My in laws vacation in a retirement community and iPads were everywhere. Old people aren't dumb and technology doesn't always have to be difficult.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

eric posted:

Gave someone an air 2 and they said they're noticing the vibration on the back when playing music that they didn't experience with the air. Should I exchange it at the apple store or do they all do this?

Mine does it too. To me it almost seems like it's by design, as if it's using the inside of the tablet as a cavity to resonate sound. After putting it in a rather thin case I don't notice it at all.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The air 2 is pretty great for reading comics, I should have realized this sooner. I have chunky comic reader - is there a better app I should look into?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously-- the olds who can't distinguish their monitor from the computer and can't distinguish the web from their email would be better off with an iPad.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Mine does it too. To me it almost seems like it's by design, as if it's using the inside of the tablet as a cavity to resonate sound. After putting it in a rather thin case I don't notice it at all.

Yeah it seems like a case will help a bit. Are there any jailbreak tweaks that would allow access to the main system sound settings other than music?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Any change in interaction logic is going to be painful for anyone who isn't fairly technologically literate to negotiate. Give an average 11 year old a laptop and ask them to email someone a file and watch the train wreck. Young people as a rule, in my experience, are used to dealing with mobile device logic, old people (especially ones who already have a computer) are probably used to traditional OS logic.

Mobile devices are definitely easier to learn, but there's still a learning curve there.

Unless you're referring to the price. I mean you could go with like a $300 laptop I guess? I don't know, an iPad isn't, in my mind, a significantly more affordable solution.

The amount of maintenance that needs to go into a computer and the amount of things that can go wrong makes the iPad a clear winner. You really can't argue that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Giving an old person a 500 laptop instead of an iPad is loving hilarious

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was at Costco today and they had the iPad Air smart cover for $25 (Apple charges $39). The store I went to only had blue and black, though.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
We gave my 80 year old grandma an iPad a few years ago. Prior to that she's never used a computer and the biggest piece of tech she owned was a microwave.

She picked it up in minutes and literally cannot stop using it now. There is no way she'd be able to figure out a laptop so quickly.

Plus she doesn't have wifi so paying $10/m to join on my family plan for her to get 3G is a no brainer. With a laptop we'd have to pay for Internet then buy a router and have two additional devices to keep up and running just so she can send email.

iPad is the way to go.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

But I really think a crappy $500 laptop is the way to go. It's familiar, cheap, repairable on the hardware side, and the learning curve won't be a problem for them since they probably access everything through a browser anyway instead of a bunch of apps. The iPad has the advantage of being nearly impossible to break on the software side, v. a windows laptop that will need constant janitoring from someone who knows how (read: you).
I gave my octogenarian mom an iPad 2 years ago; she figured it out in minutes and I don't think she even knows where the (not lovely, much >> $500) laptop I gave her before that is. She used it every day so I got her an air 2 and now she's even happier ("it's so fast and light and thin!")

v:shobon:v anecdotes! I know, but don't cheap out on your mom. Also lol at "change in interaction logic" -- it's a loving ipad, you press the button or icon with your finger. Good lord.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I was at Costco today and they had the iPad Air smart cover for $25 (Apple charges $39). The store I went to only had blue and black, though.

Was it a pack of five? Because I've never seen Costco sell a single item like that.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Why, are you hoping you can make a total "profit" on them by flipping all five of them in two weeks?

It's kind of a ridiculous suggestion that Costco doesn't sell things individually. I don't know about the iPad Air cover specifically but since he didn't mention having to buy 20 of them at a time, I would assume he actually meant 1 is $25, not 3 for $75.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I broke down and bought an ipad mini 2 yesterday because I was tired of waiting for a refurbished one to show up on the website and I gave my 2012 N7 to my dad. So far I'm impressed with it but it did take a long time for it to upgrade to iOS 8. And yes I got the 32GB model and I'm glad I did because after I installed iOS 8 and a few apps on it I would have less than 3GB left on a 16GB model. My only critique of it so far is the multitasking gestures are kinda annoying.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

spasticColon posted:

I broke down and bought an ipad mini 2 yesterday because I was tired of waiting for a refurbished one to show up on the website and I gave my 2012 N7 to my dad. So far I'm impressed with it but it did take a long time for it to upgrade to iOS 8. And yes I got the 32GB model and I'm glad I did because after I installed iOS 8 and a few apps on it I would have less than 3GB left on a 16GB model. My only critique of it so far is the multitasking gestures are kinda annoying.

That doesn't sound right. There should be about 13GB usable out of the box with iOS 8. Which apps are you talking about?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
At $349 the 32gb iPad mini 2 is the best deal you can get right now on an iPad imo. Same internals as the mini 3, and just a few months ago it used to cost $499.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

e.pilot posted:

At $349 the 32gb iPad mini 2 is the best deal you can get right now on an iPad imo. Same internals as the mini 3, and just a few months ago it used to cost $499.

Disagree. The 2 gig and extra core of the air 2 is. Huge game changer around lifetime of the device and resell value. Plus the best buy sale off 100$ off. I'd not consider anything else

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

1997 posted:

That doesn't sound right. There should be about 13GB usable out of the box with iOS 8. Which apps are you talking about?

Oops I forgot to mention I put some music on it too since I got the 32GB model. As for apps I put Chrome, Hearthstone, and Awful app on it. I have 19GB usable right now so wouldn't that be ~3GB usable if I would have gotten a 16GB model instead?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hughlander posted:

Disagree. The 2 gig and extra core of the air 2 is. Huge game changer around lifetime of the device and resell value. Plus the best buy sale off 100$ off. I'd not consider anything else

In the month I've had the Air 2 and used it daily, I've never seen a single Safari tab reload. The extra memory is worth the price of admission alone.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Thorn may be the best hand cannon in the game now. It does 60+ damage in PvE with the Dot damage plus the already high damage. I took down a yellow bar acolyte in one shot.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Thorn may be the best hand cannon in the game now. It does 60+ damage in PvE with the Dot damage plus the already high damage. I took down a yellow bar acolyte in one shot.
What?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

My iPad requires at least three shots to take down a yellow bar acolyte. :confused:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Upgraded that poo poo, do some bounties, farm some mats.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Lol! I was wondering why nobody in the destiny thread was replying to my bold claim. Thanks Awful.app!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I just noticed that the sleep/resume button wiggles or has a little bit of play in it. Should I be worried?

Selane
May 19, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I just noticed that the sleep/resume button wiggles or has a little bit of play in it. Should I be worried?

I doubt it's a big deal, but for what it's worth mine doesn't do that. Do you mean just a little looseness, or are you talking iPhone 5s-level "literally rattles audibly when you shake the device a bit"?

edit: wait, I didn't see that you were talking about a Mini 2, I have an Air 2. Since the Mini 2 came out at about the same time as the 5s, maybe it is normal for it to have a rattly as gently caress wake button.

Selane fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 2, 2014

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Selane posted:

I doubt it's a big deal, but for what it's worth mine doesn't do that. Do you mean just a little looseness, or are you talking iPhone 5s-level "literally rattles audibly when you shake the device a bit"?

edit: wait, I didn't see that you were talking about a Mini 2, I have an Air 2. Since the Mini 2 came out at about the same time as the 5s, maybe it is normal for it to have a rattly as gently caress wake button.

Umm it rattles when I shake the ipad and yes it's a mini 2. I have 13 more days to exchange it at Best Buy or will they not let me exchange it for something like that? I don't want to be a year down the road after the warranty expires and then the button stops working or literally falls out of the tablet. I also read online that this is common on the mini 2 so I can see exchanging it and the button on the replacement rattles too.

Edit: By the way I like your avatar/custom title. :nyoron:

Edit: Even the screen lock switch and the volume buttons wiggle but only slightly and they don't rattle when I shake the tablet.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2014

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Great looking deal on the Air 2, Space Gray 64Gb, £430. http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/pixelelectronics/product/Apple_Ipad_Air_2/?l-id=gb_cart_product_1_1&sku=Apple_Ipad_Air_2_64gb_Space_Grey

I just picked one up today, are there any downsides to registering all ten fingers (and my wang) for Touch ID?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

dirtyfrog posted:

Great looking deal on the Air 2, Space Gray 64Gb, £430. http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/pixelelectronics/product/Apple_Ipad_Air_2/?l-id=gb_cart_product_1_1&sku=Apple_Ipad_Air_2_64gb_Space_Grey

I just picked one up today, are there any downsides to registering all ten fingers (and my wang) for Touch ID?

If a mugger steals any one of your fingers they can access your iPad, later. By only registering one or two fingers (at random) you reduce the chances that if a mugger cuts off your finger they'll be able to access your apps.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

dirtyfrog posted:

It only lets me put in 5, so I put every finger on my left hand in. Now I only have one hand to defend from muggers.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

If a mugger steals any one of your fingers they can access your iPad, later. By only registering one or two fingers (at random) you reduce the chances that if a mugger cuts off your finger they'll be able to access your apps.

Severed fingers doesn't allow access. It has to have blood flowing through.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dirtyfrog posted:

I registered each thumb twice and each index finger twice. Seems to make it super reliable.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Little bit put off this Air 2 with just how strongly you can feel the speaker vibrating the device. Hoping popping it in a case tones it down a little.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Severed fingers doesn't allow access. It has to have blood flowing through.

Has this been tested?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I don't know but it'd just need some capacitance to work afaik. Or you could just make a thin copy of the fingerprint (if still fully in tact) and real finger behind it like was used back when the 5S came out. Or since you have the finger I guess you could try cutting off the top and carving out the stuff inside and use that instead of going through the hassle of a copy.

Unless it's improved to the point where that copy trick doesn't work anymore :iiam:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a clear lack of testing with severed fingers.

edit: Unless Apple has a top-secret R&D lab hidden away in China that they don't want made public.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I recall seeing a video where some guys made moulds of their fingers trying to get into their iPhone 5s and they all failed, but went and used it on whatever generation of Samsung phone came out around that time that had touch ID and one of the prints that was rejected on the iPhone had no problem getting into whatever poo poo Samsung taped onto their phone

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Amber Alert posted:

I recall seeing a video where some guys made moulds of their fingers trying to get into their iPhone 5s and they all failed, but went and used it on whatever generation of Samsung phone came out around that time that had touch ID and one of the prints that was rejected on the iPhone had no problem getting into whatever poo poo Samsung taped onto their phone
Samsung has a touch ID phone?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

randyest posted:

Samsung has a touch ID phone?
Pretty sure all of the Samsung flagship devices (S5, Note 4, etc.) have a fingerprint scanner now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Pretty sure all of the Samsung flagship devices (S5, Note 4, etc.) have a fingerprint scanner now.

That works about 20% of the time.