Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is there a news article about this? What happened to the helicopter crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
English referencing local news account

Local news (Spanish)

Pilot in critical condition; offloaded a paramedic before getting clipped.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The rotor can spin down all it likes, but that fuselage was being spun up, so unless they actually have a brake for the main rotor that means the engine(s) were still driving the rotor.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Fucknag posted:

The rotor can spin down all it likes, but that fuselage was being spun up, so unless they actually have a brake for the main rotor that means the engine(s) were still driving the rotor.

Frankly there aren't any failsafes for stupid human beings.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you look at their pricing and profitability now, they are much more in line with a traditional full service carrier. It's sort of disingenuous to call them "low cost"

In line with, yes, but almost always at the bottom end of that range. I think that's fair to call "low cost" given the minimum price floor of providing an airplane to actually go from A to B without crashing (usually)

As a comparison, I looked up a flight from Seattle to the DC area, a flight I've done before / will do again, went for lowest fares:

United: $414 (1 stop)
Frontier: $373 total (1 stop)
Alaska: $310 (to BWI, nonstop) or $436 (to DCA, nonstop) - I can't find a 1-stop to compare 1:1
American: $270 (1 stop)
Southwest: $269 total (1 stop)

If anything, it shows the "ULCC" model is disingenuous naming - it's more like they're an "everything a la carte" airline, not necessarily 'low cost.' Southwest though? Low cost is a lot closer to an actual description of their model.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why didn't the pilot shut down the engine after the hit? Pull a fire handle?

I would imagine the helicopter turned into a mini-g simulator the second it started to spin.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Didn't think it was possible for the B-17 to get any sexier. I was wrong

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Bacarruda posted:

Allisons had pretty cowls, but the P-38 drivers had enough trouble keeping two of them running.

quote:

Then, on June 16, 1943, only the aircraft's ninth flight, a fire erupted on the XB-38's number three engine. The test crew ran through every checklist available to extinguish the fire, but nothing worked. They decided to bail out of the fuel-laden bomber before the fire could spread to its main fuel tanks. The XB-38 was a total loss, and the project was cancelled as another set of V-1710 engines were needed for more pressing test projects.

Was sort of inevitable, really.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Bacarruda posted:

That wasn't a bad enough idea. They also re-engined a B-29 with Allison 3420 W-24 engines. Two V-12 1710's sharing a common crankcase. Ruined a couple late-war projects with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_XB-39_Superfortress

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 2, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Psion posted:

In line with, yes, but almost always at the bottom end of that range. I think that's fair to call "low cost" given the minimum price floor of providing an airplane to actually go from A to B without crashing (usually)

As a comparison, I looked up a flight from Seattle to the DC area, a flight I've done before / will do again, went for lowest fares:

Alaska: $310 (to BWI, nonstop) or $436 (to DCA, nonstop) - I can't find a 1-stop to compare 1:1

If anything, it shows the "ULCC" model is disingenuous naming - it's more like they're an "everything a la carte" airline, not necessarily 'low cost.' Southwest though? Low cost is a lot closer to an actual description of their model.

Just this summer, I flew from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas and Southwest beat the nearest competitor by over $200 round trip on top of not having to fly extremely early in the morning or late at night. I was meeting a friend there and he flew Frontier out of DC. His prices for the flight were pretty similar, but he got got dinged on checking his bag and wasn't given anything but water for free on the flight (Southwest gave snacks and soda both of the legs I was on.)

Beyond that though, both of our flights were a clusterfuck of delays. My flight was nearly an hour late leaving Pittsburgh that afternoon, his was 40 minutes late leaving DC. We both had a layover in Denver around the same time and we were both over two hours late leaving that airport. Some thunderstorms rolled in right after I touched down and basically shut everything down.

I kind of like the way southwest does seating, but that's probably because I managed to get into the early boarding groups on all my legs. I did choose poorly on the way home though. The flight from Las Vegas to Phoenix was fine. But I chose a bad seat in Phoenix that didn't give me enough shoulder room and someone huge sat next to me. I think that was the most miserable 4 hours of my entire life. I'm glad we weren't delayed taking off because until the cabin cooled off at altitude, I think I was the closest I've ever been to having a panic attack.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm seeing a trend with Allison engines and lovely performance... P-51, XB-38/9... Hm.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Fucknag posted:

What would happen to the rest of the helicopter minus tail boom if you were to try to rotor brake your way out of this?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tsuru posted:

What would happen to the rest of the helicopter minus tail boom if you were to try to rotor brake your way out of this?

Detached retinas and giant, vomitous spin art? :v:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

That wasn't a bad enough idea. They also re-engined a B-29 with Allison 3420 W-24 engines. Two V-12 1710's sharing a common crankcase. Ruined a couple late-war projects with them.

As if B-29's didn't have enough engine fires...

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

"Let's see if we can weld two engines together" is not a concept that has ever worked well in aviation, as Mr Heinkel would relate.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Let's see if we can weld two engines together" is not a concept that has ever worked well in aviation, as Mr Heinkel would relate.

"Why has this silly engine suddenly turned up, which is so idiotically welded together? They told me then, there would be two engines connected behind each other, and suddenly there appears this misbegotten monster of welded-together engines one cannot get at!"--Hermann Goering

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Spaced God posted:

I'm seeing a trend with Allison engines and lovely performance... P-51, XB-38/9... Hm.

It was fine at low altitudes - basically designed for the Eastern Front. Unfortunately, little of the air-to-air combat the Western Allies participated in was at low altitudes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I've read that the problem with the DB 606s on the He 177 was to do with the comical design requirements, not the engine itself. Making a heavy bomber that also could dive-bomb was incredibly difficult, mainly because engine cowels had to be really tight for speed and stability reasons, and that didn't let enough air in to cool the engines properly. Then it becomes one of those spinning, insoluble engineering problems: get more airflow, make the He 177 much slower and unable to dive bomb. Try to pull it back, engine fires. Heinkel had the He 119 (of a sperg-post from awhile ago) running very well with the same engine.

It is good to learn though somebody else tried the dual-engine thing and it was nightmarish.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Ahem.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
e: bugatti 100p my favourite twin

Colonel K fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 2, 2014

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

The Champ looks like such a fun little plane.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

While we're on the subject of bad engine ideas and needless complexity, might as well bring up the Ki-64.

wiki posted:

It had two Kawasaki Ha-40 engines in tandem; one in the aircraft nose, the other behind the cockpit, both being connected by a drive shaft. This combination (called the Kawasaki Ha-201) drove two, three-bladed, contra-rotating propellors...During the fifth flight, the rear engine caught fire...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I dunno, it's a P39 with a front engine and a bonus prop, what's not to love?

It seems like it would be easier to have a geared second driveshaft and hub for the 2nd prop rather than trying to connect the things via a driveshaft but I don't know gently caress all about aircraft powerplant design.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Duke Chin posted:

I hope somebody punched/fired that idiot. Best part? He doesn't even stop.

I wouldn't stop either. At least I hope I'd have the presence of mind to keep moving away from the spinning mass of whirly death instead of stopping to stare at it in slack-jawed horror.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

No Pfeil? Shame!

edit: Actually, it was an effective fighter? Oh.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tsuru posted:

It would spin, but in the same direction as rotor rotation.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I dunno, it's a P39 with a front engine and a bonus prop, what's not to love?

It seems like it would be easier to have a geared second driveshaft and hub for the 2nd prop rather than trying to connect the things via a driveshaft but I don't know gently caress all about aircraft powerplant design.

Similar, but less drastic, reasons as you would for the Osprey: if one engine quits both sets of props are still powered, rather than one hub feathering in front of or behind the other, which kinda fucks up airflow. Two props powered by one engine with half the power works better to get you out of the fight to limp home than two props where one isn't turning at all (or windmilling).

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

helno posted:

The Champ looks like such a fun little plane.

They really are. Not very fast at all - 75-80mph cruise is about all you'll get out of 65hp - but just a total joy to hang out and watch the world go by beneath you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Psion posted:

Low Cost is actually a very deceptive moniker in the airline world. To the customer, you see "low cost" and you assume they're talking about you, low cost to you. What Low Cost Carrier actually means is it's a lower cost for the airline to operate. It means lower cost in wages, airport fees, fuel, catering, etc. etc. etc., and that may result in a lower price delivered to the customer. But not always. It's always going to cost as much as it can to fill a percentage of the aircraft and turn profit. That profit is just easier to come by because of the lower operating cost model.
Essentially, Low Cost is to airlines what Ikea is to furniture.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 2, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I always wonder how it can possibly be economical for delta to operate its fleet of misfit planes while southwest is all 737s.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

hobbesmaster posted:

I always wonder how it can possibly be economical for delta to operate its fleet of misfit planes while southwest is all 737s.

I'm sure they've modeled the hell out of it. Still shake my head evertime I step onto a 757. I bet they'll keep the mad dogs for quite some time too.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 2, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta bought a ton of 717s just a couple years ago and has been upgrading the interiors of the maddogs so yes they'll be around for some time. I last flew on a DC-9-50 in 2012 I think it was?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

The benefits of a one-type fleet are far overstated, usually by the armchair CEOs over at Airliners.net (who also conveniently ignore the enormous drawbacks of said fleet).

After all, I wonder how well Southwest would weather a hypothetical 737 grounding...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

The benefits of a one-type fleet are far overstated, usually by the armchair CEOs over at Airliners.net (who also conveniently ignore the enormous drawbacks of said fleet).

After all, I wonder how well Southwest would weather a hypothetical 737 grounding...

The hypothetical grounding gets brought up all the time in this scenario. Really though, single fleet type is just one way of reflecting cost control. It saves money using the same thing that everyone else uses, because spares availability and training are a big cost. It also saves money if you got the all inclusive training and spare parts package from the manufacturer, which they probably only offered if you promised to only fly their aircraft. But you can realize those savings in different ways if those things I just listed aren't necessarily a big factor for your operation.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Linedance posted:

The hypothetical grounding gets brought up all the time in this scenario. Really though, single fleet type is just one way of reflecting cost control. It saves money using the same thing that everyone else uses, because spares availability and training are a big cost. It also saves money if you got the all inclusive training and spare parts package from the manufacturer, which they probably only offered if you promised to only fly their aircraft. But you can realize those savings in different ways if those things I just listed aren't necessarily a big factor for your operation.

OK, I will admit that the grounding scenario is pretty outrageous, but it is far from implausible at the same time.

The big deal in the airlines today (as you probably know) is very rigorous capacity management; something that you really can't do easily with a one-type fleet. If you're racing around with a fleet of aircraft that seat 136 passengers, the only way you can manage capacity is through frequency...it's doable, but it also means you'll either need more airframes or you'll need to push your utilisation a lot higher; one of which is expensive and the other is hard on employee morale (and might end up being very expensive in the end anyway).

Beyond that, airframe manufacturers are realising the benefits of commonality among a family of aircraft, which can produce almost the same savings from a training and spares perspective, all while allowing you to maintain the ability to carefully tailor capacity to your needs. Airbus has made it a central tenet of their aircraft family, and Boeing is very rapidly (well, as rapidly as you can go with 20-year product cycles) in that area as well. As you mentioned, the manufacturers these days are giving airlines enormous financial incentives to buy only their family of aircraft; the savings from these wide-ranging support programs can far outstrip the benefits of rigorously sticking to the one-type doctrine.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

MrChips posted:

Ryanair now has over three hundred 737-800s. None of them are particularly old, because they ordered so many at once and at the right times that they got something like seven year warranty agreements out of Boeing. And there's the answer - fly 'em til they're out of warranty, then flog them and get some more. They also have so many that every potential grounding issue that I've known of would only have affected a certain subsection of the fleet - twenty were grounded for rudder actuator rebuilds a while back, for example. It's still not impossible to have a fleet grounding issue but it's reasonably unlikely for such a mature design.

In the mean time, they have one large set of spares in the entire company, rather than a mixed set where you have less of each item.

At least, it seemed to work from where I was sitting in a warehouse full of parts.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MrChips posted:

Given the number of different versions of 737 that Southwest uses, it'd be hard to guess at one fault that would affect all of them.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colonel K posted:

e: bugatti 100p my favourite twin

It's probably the sexiest plane, imo (Blackbird isn't even worth mentioning, good luck ever making a plane that beautiful).

Really wish I could afford a replica :(

e: maybe I can afford this one day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shHWrTDWtY0

marumaru fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Madurai posted:

Given the number of different versions of 737 that Southwest uses, it'd be hard to guess at one fault that would affect all of them.

They have 499 NGs and 135 Classics. If there was ever a grounding of the NG, they would be properly hosed.