Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Y wings are the coolest. :colbert:

I guess they are the workhorses of the rebel fleet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

jivjov posted:

I guess they are the workhorses of the rebel fleet....

And they'd be better suited for supporting clandestine operatives. More ordnance for ground support, and having two seats gives more tactical flexibility. In that case it would make sense for the Intel types to cross-train as gunners, not pilots. That wouldn't take as long, and would allow them to focus more on their primary roles.

Edit: I'm thinking that a common tactic would be for the intel group to infiltrate and mark targets or what have you, then have the Y-wings show up, bomb the poo poo out of whatever, land long enough for the operatives to clamber into the gunner's seats, and then away they go, ioning the pursuing TIEs on the way out.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 1, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

And they'd be better suited for supporting clandestine operatives. More ordnance for ground support, and having two seats gives more tactical flexibility. In that case it would make sense for the Intel types to cross-train as gunners, not pilots. That wouldn't take as long, and would allow them to focus more on their primary roles.

Edit: I'm thinking that a common tactic would be for the intel group to infiltrate and mark targets or what have youever, then have the Y-wings show up, bomb the poo poo out of whatever, land long enough for the operatives to clamber into the gunner's seats, and then away they go, ioning the pursuing TIEs on the way out.

Stop making so much sense!! This bears consideration...

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I just got Suns of Fortune from my Secret Santa and want to play a horrible otter-person.

I quite liked the book, and its definitely boosted my interest for the next setting book on Hutt Space.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I just got Suns of Fortune from my Secret Santa and want to play a horrible otter-person.

I quite liked the book, and its definitely boosted my interest for the next setting book on Hutt Space.

Well, if you want to app to my game, Wraith Squadron did have a history of being multi-species friendly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Beardless posted:

Y wings are the coolest. :colbert: They're just as fast as a B wing, they handle better, they've got better shields, and they have a turret. What now?

They're actually, in-EU (and in the miniatures game), a hell of a lot faster than B-wings. They're on par with an X-wing with S-foils open in terms of speed, somewhat worse in terms of manoeuvrability, but still perfectly able to dogfight (which they did a lot, since it was still the Alliance's primary snubfighter by weight of numbers until after the second Death Star blew up and enough of them had been phased out and replaced with X-wings). :colbert:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

jivjov posted:

Stop making so much sense!! This bears consideration...

I originally suggested Y-wings just because of I have a soft spot for them, but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense for this type of unit to use them. I dunno if this would throw off game balance, but maybe you could have the pilots made as normal characters, but give the Intel groups a free rank in Gunnery, to represent the fact they're somewhat experienced Intelligence operatives who have been transferred, run through gunner training regardless of their normal jobs, and then paired up with a group of newly-minted pilots.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

Well, if you want to app to my game, Wraith Squadron did have a history of being multi-species friendly.

I remember reading some of the Wraith Squadron books as a kid, but honestly can't remember even the slightest detail about them. The only Rogue Squadron book I sort-of remember is Isard's Revenge.

I do fully intend to write up an app for your game though! (It may not actually be an otter)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I remember reading some of the Wraith Squadron books as a kid, but honestly can't remember even the slightest detail about them. The only Rogue Squadron book I sort-of remember is Isard's Revenge.

I do fully intend to write up an app for your game though! (It may not actually be an otter)

The Wraith books featured a Gammorean, a Devaronian, and a Thakwaash (Horse-like dude with multiple personalities, each suited to a different task). Oh, and a pair of Corellian Humans, since those are a separate thing.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're actually, in-EU (and in the miniatures game), a hell of a lot faster than B-wings. They're on par with an X-wing with S-foils open in terms of speed, somewhat worse in terms of manoeuvrability, but still perfectly able to dogfight (which they did a lot, since it was still the Alliance's primary snubfighter by weight of numbers until after the second Death Star blew up and enough of them had been phased out and replaced with X-wings). :colbert:

Yeah, I read that, but according to the AoR book they're the same speed as a B-wing, but with slightly better maneuverability (Speed 4 versus the X-wing's 5, and handling +0 vs. +1 for the X-wing and -1 for the B-wing). Additionally, the B wing isn't much more heavily armed than a Y-wing, B-wings have autoblasters in addition to lasers and Ion Cannons, but the Y-wing's Ion Cannons are in a turret, which is a very aceptable tradeoff, they have the same amount of armor, and while the B-wing does have a higher Hull Trauma Threshold (15 to the Y-wing's 12), Y-wings have almost twice as much System Strain (10 vs 6).

jivjov posted:

The Wraith books featured a Gammorean, a Devaronian, and a Thakwaash (Horse-like dude with multiple personalities, each suited to a different task). Oh, and a pair of Corellian Humans, since those are a separate thing.

Also a Mon Cal briefly (RIP Jesmin), and a Twi-lek. Oh, and of course an Ewok. Who could forget the illustrious Lieutenant Kettch?

Yub yub, commander.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Also a Mon Cal briefly (RIP Jesmin), and a Twi-lek. Oh, and of course an Ewok. Who could forget the illustrious Lieutenant Kettch?

Yub yub, commander.

Man, I can't believe I forgot Jesmin and Dia. Kettch doesn't count though...he only ever flew with the Hawkbats...and all of his rolls were with assisted help from one of those Corellian Humans I mentioned (unless it was a social check via the comlink, in which case the assistance came from a regular Human code slicer).

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Also, who are the two Corellians you keep talking about? Wedge is one, but none of the other humans were Corellian.

Edit: I forgot about Donos. I thought that you thought that Wes Janson was from Corellia.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 1, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Also, who are the two Corellians you keep talking about? Wedge is one, but none of the other humans were Corellian.

Myn Donos was Corellian. Or at least was awarded the Bloodstrips, which I thought was reserved for Corellians.

EDIT: Yeah, Wookieepeida confirms, Myn is Corellain.

EDIT 2: Everyone knows Janson is from Taanab

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 1, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't know how you guys remember all this stuff. I mean, Wookiepedia obviously helps, but still. I devoured every Star Wars EU book I could get my hands on 15+ years ago and I have almost no memories of any of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I don't know how you guys remember all this stuff. I mean, Wookiepedia obviously helps, but still. I devoured every Star Wars EU book I could get my hands on 15+ years ago and I have almost no memories of any of them.

It helps that I've been reading the X-Wing books in bed and on my lunch breaks over the last couple weeks. I'm in the middle of Starfighters of Adumar right now. Also, the 3 Wraith Squadron books get a re-read from me every few months, they're my favorite Star Wars EU series ever. Also also, I'm a HUGE Star Wars nerd with a literal library of EU in my basement. A disproportionate amount of my brainspace is devoted to Star Wars miscellany.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

The Wraiths also had a Bothan, and then during and after the Yuuzhan Vong war they had another Ddevanorian, a Wookie, a third Corellian, a fourth Corellian, and a Clawdite. Oh, and a Yuuzhan Vong. I had to check Wookiepedia for those, though I can't believe that we both forgot Grinder.

Edit: What he said. I reread the Wraith Squadron books and Starfighters of Adumar maybe once a year or so? they're good stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

The Wraiths also had a Bothan, and then during and after the Yuuzhan Vong war they had another Ddevanorian, a Wookie, a third Corellian, a fourth Corellian, and a Clawdite. Oh, and a Yuuzhan Vong. I had to check Wookiepedia for those, though I can't believe that we both forgot Grinder.

Edit: What he said. I reread the Wraith Squadron books and Starfighters of Adumar maybe once a year or so? they're good stuff.

Ahh Grinder...yeah, he didn't really do a whole lot. His pranks were about it (the whole thing with the Crystal Deceiver was great), but as "Wraith Squadron's code slicer", I remember Castin a lot more than I do Grinder.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

As for a character for the game, I'm thinking a Mon Cal Ace: Pilot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

As for a character for the game, I'm thinking a Mon Cal Ace: Pilot.

I'm debating how I want to frame it...I don't want to say "Okay, 3 people pick Pilot, and 3 pick non-Pilot" so I think I'll just take completely open applications, and structure the exact setup of ships and the like to who all ends up applying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you don't have three people with Piloting and three people with Gunnery, just have them trade one career skill for Piloting/Gunnery, or outright give them a rank in Piloting/Gunnery for free (and a rank of something else for people who already have both skills). It's not like 5-10 XP is going to break anything when players are supposed to earn 15+ per session.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'd be up for taking part in a PbP having just bought AoR and read the rules. Y-Wings sound cool as well and it's nice that they are two-seaters in terms of giving variety to the squad.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Same here, My group will most likely be playing AoR at some point, but a bit of practice beforehand can't hurt!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Beardless posted:

Yeah, I read that, but according to the AoR book they're the same speed as a B-wing, but with slightly better maneuverability (Speed 4 versus the X-wing's 5, and handling +0 vs. +1 for the X-wing and -1 for the B-wing). Additionally, the B wing isn't much more heavily armed than a Y-wing, B-wings have autoblasters in addition to lasers and Ion Cannons, but the Y-wing's Ion Cannons are in a turret, which is a very aceptable tradeoff, they have the same amount of armor, and while the B-wing does have a higher Hull Trauma Threshold (15 to the Y-wing's 12), Y-wings have almost twice as much System Strain (10 vs 6).

There's no onscreen evidence for the Y-wing being either slow or tough. That's a creation of the X-wing videogame series, and it's stuck everywhere since.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This is all you need to know about the new Stay on Target article.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5231

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Yeah, I think the best solution is to let people create either a piloting-focused character or an intelligence character as they wish, and then just give the intel types a free rank in Gunnery and for the pilots, give them a free rank in one of Skullduggery, Coercion, Stealth, or Streetwise, to represent the cross-training that both groups would get. That way you don't have half of the group having more skills than the other.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Yeah, I think the best solution is to let people create either a piloting-focused character or an intelligence character as they wish, and then just give the intel types a free rank in Gunnery and for the pilots, give them a free rank in one of Skullduggery, Coercion, Stealth, or Streetwise, to represent the cross-training that both groups would get. That way you don't have half of the group having more skills than the other.

I'm about to just let you write me up a setting document for the campaign, you're too good at this!

Also, I've decided how I'm gonna handle force sensitivity; if you want to be a force user, you MUST go through either Exile or Emergent, but if you want to branch from there into F&D specs and powers, I'm down with that.

Now I just need to decide how much starting XP to give. I want to go a little beyond standard chargen, but not have "high level" characters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm about to just let you write me up a setting document for the campaign, you're too good at this!

Also, I've decided how I'm gonna handle force sensitivity; if you want to be a force user, you MUST go through either Exile or Emergent, but if you want to branch from there into F&D specs and powers, I'm down with that.

Now I just need to decide how much starting XP to give. I want to go a little beyond standard chargen, but not have "high level" characters.

Just be careful -- some Force and Destiny stuff could break open your game at the operational level. Putting them through Exile/Emergent makes sense, but is a temporary brake.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

jivjov posted:

Well as far as setting goes, it would obviously have to be after the Wraiths get transferred into Intelligence, but I personally would like to avoid the Yuuzhan Vong war as a setting, at least to start with. Which now I look it up on wookiepedia gives us a much bigger time frame than I thought, the Wraiths went to Intelligence in 7.5 ABY, and the Vong entered the galaxy in 25 ABY, so we've got quite a bit of time. Also, is it going to be a full sized squadron, with 12 Y-wings and 24 pilots and operatives, not including the ground crews and other support personnel, or will it be smaller than normal? I assume that the commander is going to be an NPC, but maybe the PC's could all be in a single flight, with one PC being a Lieutenant leading the sub-unit.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 1, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

In our game last night, my players were assaulting an Imperial fortress that had an AT-ST outside. They wanted to attack the AT-ST as a diversion so they bought a missile tube. The ones in the book don't seem to be anti-vehicle weapons, even though they are described that way. I gave them rounds that were Planetary scale, 4 damage. That way they could do a few damage to the AT-ST per round fired. They were AP rounds though, so firing them at people was ineffective.

I checked Dangerous Covenants but didn't really see any portable anti-vehicle weapons. Anyone else run into this? They wanted to fly their ship in and use its guns to take out the AT-ST, but didn't want to split the party.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
We've house ruled that to go from personal to planetary scale is only a factor of 5 instead of 10. It makes the anti-vehicle stuff a much more attractive option and lets you shoot speeder bikes with plain old blasters like in the movies. It also makes some of the smaller vehicle blasters closer to their personal counterparts. I think it's the quickest way to deal with that, but yeah, the interaction between personal and planetary scale is wonky. Having the two different scales makes it nice when you're doing one or the other, so you don't have to keep track of a bajillion vehicle hp, but I wish they had found a better way of going between them.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

alg posted:

This is all you need to know about the new Stay on Target article.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5231

This is the worst.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FishFood posted:

We've house ruled that to go from personal to planetary scale is only a factor of 5 instead of 10. It makes the anti-vehicle stuff a much more attractive option and lets you shoot speeder bikes with plain old blasters like in the movies. It also makes some of the smaller vehicle blasters closer to their personal counterparts. I think it's the quickest way to deal with that, but yeah, the interaction between personal and planetary scale is wonky. Having the two different scales makes it nice when you're doing one or the other, so you don't have to keep track of a bajillion vehicle hp, but I wish they had found a better way of going between them.

Maybe an intermediate "vehicle" scale...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FishFood posted:

This seems like a good fix. AT-ATs are still tough as nails but lighter vehicles can be hurt by heavier personal weapons. I think I'll start using this :coffee:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Preview article for Lords of Nal Hutta is up. Nothing too fancy, but some nice fluff about Hutt families, and information on playing a Hutt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for doublepost, but recruitment for my Wraith-like Squadron game is up! Feel free to submit an app!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D beta final update has guidelines for using Morality with Duty & Obligation. They also made triggering Morality optional.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5235

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

How well has this game aged? I'm considering picking it up, because I am a tremendous Star Wars nerd, but I'd love a rundown on the strengths/weaknesses that people see in it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Darwinism posted:

How well has this game aged? I'm considering picking it up, because I am a tremendous Star Wars nerd, but I'd love a rundown on the strengths/weaknesses that people see in it.

Uh, considering it's only come out in the last two years and thus isn't that old... um... it's good?

Did you just not read the OP?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Darwinism posted:

I've had the system since the first core book hit and I still haven't gotten a firm grasp on space combat (I'm hoping to address that with my PbP).

As for positives, the narrative dice mechanics are my favorite of any dice system I've ever played with. The "funny symbols" take a session or two to fully grasp, but I would hate go back to a binary pass/fail system unless I was specifically looking for that feel.

I like the level-less progression of characters; having set tiers where you suddenly improve feels so limited compared to "just spend XP as you accumulate at, save up for big poo poo if you want"

Post release support has been amazing, the devs are pretty good about engaging fans on their forums and giving errata answers. The supplements have universally felt well worth the money (although it can understand complaints about not wanting everything to be in hardcover). There's been a good mix of pregen adventures, career expansions and setting books, and the alternating schedule of releases means that there's something new every few months.

All three core systems work independently of each other, but also can synergize near perfectly. You may end up with too much bookkeeping if you try to use all three line-exclusive mechanics all at once though, so I suggest either giving each character the one that makes sense for them, or just using one for every character in the campaign regardless of the origin of their career.

Oh, and Jedi aren't stupidly overpowered.

EDIT: and I can pretty much recommend every single supplement on the basis of the art alone. FFG has done an amazing job getting loads of unique art pieces for everything. Every species option gets a full body portrait, iconic ships get half-page pictures, every chapter has a splash page, and the art does a fantastic job of not being cheesecake. I think women outnumber men on the covers of EotE books too.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Uh, considering it's only come out in the last two years and thus isn't that old... um... it's good?

Did you just not read the OP?

The OP is full of blurbs about the games, and then I look at the thread and there's comments like the Jedi needing buffs and debuffs. Also two years is a pretty decent time for a RPG to age and for people to develop more informed opinions on how the mechanics work.

jivjov posted:

Good stuff

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!