Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

Reksi posted:

Ganondorf is strong and outclasses Bowser in 1v1s if you know how to play him.

Here's a Japanese player killing it against some of his worse matchups as an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oPnmouioM

Yeah pretty much. Someone with patience, spacing, and good timing can use him really well. Unfortunately he reality is some jagweed who plays a shitload of Diddy will stomp all over them in most cases

EDIT:

TheKingofSprings posted:

So apparently Diddy dominated some high profile smash 4 tournament or something?

Yeah, there was an online tournament yesterday featuring smashers who win big like M2K and Zero (the scarf kid). Two Diddy mains got knocked out early, but Zero, who complained a shitload about Diddy all over twitter and reddit pulled Diddy out after getting his Fox's rear end whooped so people are giving him poo poo for it.

The Mechanical Hand fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Reksi posted:

Here's a Japanese player killing it against some of his worse matchups as an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oPnmouioM

I love how he just beats the poo poo out of Luma. gently caress that little star.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Mechanical Hand posted:

Yeah, there was an online tournament yesterday featuring smashers who win big like M2K and Zero (the scarf kid). Two Diddy mains got knocked out early, but Zero, who complained a shitload about Diddy all over twitter and reddit pulled Diddy out after getting his Fox's rear end whooped so people are giving him poo poo for it.

This tournament was funny. M2K was playing on some discount wifi connection and lagging in every game he played. He had whined about it a little bit prior on Facebook -- how I supposed to win when I'm lagging a lot??? Anyway, in his match against Xaltis he was lagging like crazy and eventually disconnected.

Xaltis was sick of his poo poo and demanded a DQ for it. Since M2K is a big baby, he just forfeited rather than trying again (because the TOs were just going to restart that game). He took to passive aggressively bitching about it on Facebook and since he has a bunch of fans, the twitch chat took to calling Xaltis a human being tranny and the commentators were reading personal attacks against him on stream because they thought it was funny. It was not a very well run tourney.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
The commentors were really obnoxious. I like the Clash guys way more.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Reksi posted:

You are going to forever be my 2v2 Imp Zone Smash buddy, I'm Will Smith at the end of Bad Boys II going "Now that's how you shoot!"

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Reksi posted:

I almost closed it instantly because that first robin was loving terrible. But then I kept watching, and Rosalina loving drops her shield with Ganon in the air in front of her creating an opening for an attack he already launched. The Ganon has good execution but he's still just an average character with way too much lag who gets lucky several times. And i'm not just being a douche; you can see when he's reading (and hitting and whiffing) and when he's flat out lucky

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You should play Reksi.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
http://www.twitch.tv/n_squared/c/5595979

Goddamn, I gotta work on my button mashing for that down B... Luigi has some really good potential in this game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

zolthorg posted:

I almost closed it instantly because that first robin was loving terrible. But then I kept watching, and Rosalina loving drops her shield with Ganon in the air in front of her creating an opening for an attack he already launched. The Ganon has good execution but he's still just an average character with way too much lag who gets lucky several times. And i'm not just being a douche; you can see when he's reading (and hitting and whiffing) and when he's flat out lucky

Pretty much every win against a competent opponent is a combination of you reading well and him reading poorly, this is a pretty uncharitable summary of that Ganondorf play. I mean, nobody's saying that Dorf is top-tier; he never has been and he probably never will be, and I'm sure you could dig up a hundred videos of Foxes and Sheiks getting zero-to-deaths since Melee against him. But Dorf has always only needed to get in a few good hits to score a kill, because he's just that strong and he's got surprisingly decent survivability despite being a huge fat lump of muscles and hate.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 1, 2014

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

You are going to forever be my 2v2 Imp Zone Smash buddy, I'm Will Smith at the end of Bad Boys II going "Now that's how you shoot!"

You keep setting up those warlock punches for me and I'm yours baby :wink:

zolthorg posted:

It's a bunch of older For Glory matches so yeah his opponents aren't the cream of the crop. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the Rosalina dropping shield against an aerial, though. Side B goes through shields if that's what you're referring to?

I agree that Ganon's not top tier material but he's a cantankerous badass and plenty good in this game. If you wanna see sometime, my NNID is Sebaffle

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Reksi posted:

Here's a Japanese player killing it against some of his worse matchups as an example

What's with the damage %s on the right side instead of the bottom, is there an option to do that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Heran Bago posted:

What's with the damage %s on the right side instead of the bottom, is there an option to do that?

it's a stream layout thing from the 3DS version. They capture the bottom screen as well as the top, and then rearrange the "sections" of the captured video at the streaming level, for viewability.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

it's a stream layout thing from the 3DS version. They capture the bottom screen as well as the top, and then rearrange the "sections" of the captured video at the streaming level, for viewability.

Oh geeze with the quality I didn't even realize it was the 3DS version. Thanks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also Ganondorf is great because he looks and feels like a bad professional wrestler. Like The Undertaker mixed with Hulk Hogan. He's an old man choking to death on steroids and joint injuries. He can't handle any of this fancy flipping around and combos and poo poo, but he doesn't need it because he kicks you and you fall down.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ganondorf is a great professional wrestler, god dammit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ganondorf being in Video Game Championship Wrestling is what made me realize that Smash Ganondorf was made to be a professional wrestler. :colbert:

(VGCW is super cool.)

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Having difficulty dealing with good Links as Robin. As Wario or Charizard I can beat the piss out of Link, and I'm not to shabby against him as Lucina, but goddamn it does he annoy me as Robin. His projectiles come out fast and repeatedly so it's difficult to approach him and can't just sit at range, and in melee range his pokes are faster and have greater range than mine. I've had mild success baiting his attacks and whomping him during recovery, but all it takes is a few well timed up smashes and a forward smash and I'm toast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Dual Cannon Samus Amiibo auction has ended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Fa...=item27f1840d46

:eyepop:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I just found an SD card and put it in the wuu, but the game still won't let me take snapshots. Anyone know why that is?

ShinYaguchi
Jun 10, 2002
Still taking NNIDs?
NNID: ShinYaguchi

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm loving playing this game at my friends house, but I'm totally scrub tier at it. My friends can go easy on me but its not as fun for me or them. Can I get the 3DS and actually learn something from it? I don't own a WiiU so it'd be the most economical option. I'm assuming the roster is the same?

Wild Knight posted:

I just found an SD card and put it in the wuu, but the game still won't let me take snapshots. Anyone know why that is?

Did you format it?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Non paying bidder found

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

ijyt posted:

I'm loving playing this game at my friends house, but I'm totally scrub tier at it. My friends can go easy on me but its not as fun for me or them. Can I get the 3DS and actually learn something from it? I don't own a WiiU so it'd be the most economical option. I'm assuming the roster is the same?

Did you format it?

I guess not but I poked around in all the Wii U settings and didn't find a way to. Do you mean on the computer?

And yes, the 3DS version is the same mechanically- and character-wise, though the circle pad isn't as good as a real controller's joystick. It's definitely good for practice though.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Ok so what are the current Top Five characters?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

ijyt posted:

Like Wild Knight said, the 3DS has the same roster as the WiiU, so it should be great for practicing. However, some of the stages are different so you can encounter ones in the Wii U version you haven't seen in the 3DS. The circlepad for the 3DS is different too and you can use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version if you prefer - but I didn't feel like the controls were different enough to make a difference.

Also if you and your friends play with customization, you can customize a character on the 3DS and import it when you play on the Wii U.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Arpanets posted:

General consensus is, in no particular order, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Sheik, Greninja, Lucario/Sonic.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CatsPajamas posted:

Like Wild Knight said, the 3DS has the same roster as the WiiU, so it should be great for practicing. However, some of the stages are different so you can encounter ones in the Wii U version you haven't seen in the 3DS. The circlepad for the 3DS is different too and you can use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version if you prefer - but I didn't feel like the controls were different enough to make a difference.

Also if you and your friends play with customization, you can customize a character on the 3DS and import it when you play on the Wii U.

Yeah we're in the progess of unlocking the alternate movesets, I just love what Nintendo's done with this game. I mean, 8-players is unheard of in the last two gens.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

General consensus is, in no particular order, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Sheik, Greninja, Lucario/Sonic.

Is Greninja really that good? He doesn't strike me as a top character

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can't figure Rosalina out. What's the strategy with her?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Put this on.

Face your foes.

Destroy them.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Arpanets posted:

I went to smashboards to try to find an answer to this question. I left with nothing but misery. God that place is awful.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sade posted:

I went to smashboards to try to find an answer to this question. I left with nothing but misery. God that place is awful.

Why don't you ask NeoGAF or GameFAQs next?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Remember how a good Ice Climbers player could separate Nana and Popo and consistently either combo or just rack up damage on a character? Rosalina & Luma do the same thing with neutral B. I remember there's a video on Youtube somewhere of Rosalina & Luma taking HRH King Dedede from %0-%60 in a few seconds without him being able to do anything.

Also there's some sort of glitch with Luma's up-smash that makes it an instant KO sometimes? Apparently that's a thing.

Maple Leaf posted:

mabels big day posted:

Is Greninja really that good? He doesn't strike me as a top character

Maple Leaf, you seemed to have a good grasp Smash 4 since you were posting about your early release copy, plus you write good, well-written posts. It would be neat to hear your thoughts on what makes these characters good, and also I'd be really interested in hearing what other characters you thought had potential but aren't currently in the limelight.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Who do you guys think will be added as DLC characters after Mewtwo hits the eShop?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Sakurai keeps stressing how long it takes to make new characters and how much work it is, so I think DLC will be mostly new stages and trophies and maybe costumes. If they do have more characters, they will probably mostly be clones or cut characters.

It would be cool to have Knuckles as a Little Mac clone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Who do you guys think will be added as DLC characters after Mewtwo hits the eShop?

Dr. Luigi

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

That's a funny way to spell "Mr. L, the Green Thunder".

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I bet Mewtwo will be the only DLC. Maybe a stage or two.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 2, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they add the Splatoon kids later on. And like the other guy said, it will probably mostly be stages trophies, more special abilities for custom gear to have, music, etc.

Honestly I also wouldn't be that shocked to see them add more custom moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I want Donkey Kong Jr to be a character.

I think they'll keep bringing previous characters back or release alts/skins. It'd be easier than making a new character from the ground up. Really just hoping for Snake and an alt for DK where he wears boxing gloves from punch out.

MechaSeinfeld fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 2, 2014

• Locked thread